What are you reading?

A place to discuss your favorite authors and poets, Christian and secular

Postby The Last Bard » Tue Jan 10, 2006 6:32 pm

Dragon Bone Chair - Tad Williams

It's a very good book so far.
The Last Bard

Postby SnoringFrog » Tue Jan 10, 2006 6:50 pm

I'm reading my dictionary, it started out cause I was bored with nothing to do in study hall, but now I'm determined to finish it, thankfully it's only a pocket dictionary.
UC Pseudonym wrote:For a while I wasn't sure how to answer this, and then I thought "What would Batman do?" Excuse me while I find a warehouse with a skylight...
[SIZE="7"][color="MediumTurquoise"]Cobalt Figure 8[/color][/SIZE]
DeviantArt || Myspace || Facebook || Greasemonkey Scripts || Stylish Userstyles
SnoringFrog

Postby Tringard » Tue Jan 10, 2006 9:03 pm

The Last Bard wrote:Dragon Bone Chair - Tad Williams

It's a very good book so far.

I love Tad Williams' writing, haven't tried that series yet though.

Been into nonfiction myself lately; currently The Sacred Romance by Brent Curtis and John Eldredge
Calm seas do not make skillful sailors.
- African proverb

I choose to follow
Focusing on forever
Day I see His face
Tringard

Postby Kaori » Tue Jan 10, 2006 9:24 pm

Anna Karenina, Faulkner's Light in August, and some Old English poetry.
Let others believe in the God who brings men to trial and judges them. I shall cling to the God who resurrects the dead.
-St. Nikolai Velimirovich

MAL
Kaori

Postby Maledicte » Tue Jan 10, 2006 11:26 pm

Currently started Raymond E. Feist's Exile's Return. I wasn't too happy with the previous two novels of this series, but the premise of this one was too good to pass up. I mean, how often does the villain of the last two books become the hero of the third?
Maledicte

Postby Wise Dragon » Wed Jan 11, 2006 6:38 am

Im read "The Book of Five Rings" by Miyamoto Mussashi. Its pretty interesting because it tells of his views about being a powerful samurai in ancient Japan. For me its like a piece of inspirational work.
Come see me on Myspace if you want to and if you want to add me to your buddy list send me a note saying your from CAA otherwise Ill probably just end up ignoring you.

http://www.myspace.com/neo_dragon

"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today.
It's already tomorrow in Australia." (Charles Schultz)

"If you could obtain perfection then you would never get any better." (Wise Dragon)

"I never wanted to be the next Bruce Lee. I just wanted to be the first Jackie-chan." (Jackie-chan)
Wise Dragon

Location: North Carolina (Lost in the vast empty wasteland of my mind.)

Postby uc pseudonym » Fri Jan 13, 2006 8:07 am

Murke's Collected Silences by Heinrich Boll

I wish I could read this in the original German instead of merely a translation; I believe that the text definitely suffers at some points. However, that isn't terribly relevent to the story. It is your typical high-brow literature, though I've enjoyed discussing it.

Also, I finished Life of Pi. First, let me say that I am glad I read the book and I very much enjoyed it. However, I am truly not certain how the story is meant to make you believe in God. Were I an atheist, the story would have made me less likely to believe, not more. Regardless, I am now less curious about which story (tiger or no tiger) is correct than if Piscine Patel really exists (a prospect I rather doubt).
uc pseudonym

Postby bigsleepj » Fri Jan 13, 2006 1:03 pm

The Coming of Conan the Cimmerian by Robert E Howard. Very good reading so far, but I should point out that these are short stories, not novels. But these are the original ones, not the novels written by other authors inspired by the originals.
bigsleepj

Postby Maledicte » Fri Jan 13, 2006 10:57 pm

Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis. Am thoroughly enjoying it.
Maledicte

Postby BigZam » Sat Jan 14, 2006 10:56 am

The Bourne Supremacy by Robert Ludlum. I would highly reccommend these books if the characters weren't so foul-mouthed....:(
gone for good...
BigZam

Postby uc pseudonym » Sat Jan 14, 2006 2:13 pm

Out of the Depths by Bernherd Anderson
Reading the Old Testament by Berry Bandstra

I am reading the portions of both that relate to the Psalms. This is most definitely for a class. The former was well-written and actually managed to change my view on the Psalms in a small way; the latter is more academic and considerably thicker reading. It does, however, contain a great quote:

"Strictly speaking, formal parallelism is semantically nonparallel parallelism and so is not really genuine parallelism at all."
uc pseudonym

Postby rocklobster » Tue Jan 17, 2006 9:01 am

Just finished Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince [spoiler] Snape, how could you? I knew there wasn't something right about you. I hope Harry Potter kicks your sorry butt good. I hope Dumbledore is the last casualty.[/spoiler]
rocklobster

Postby Sennin » Wed Jan 18, 2006 7:26 am

I am reading The Merchant's Partner by Michael Jecks and volume three of the Philokalia.
"To educate a man in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society."
-Theodore Roosevelt

When asked what wine he liked to drink, he replied, “That which belongs to another.â€
Sennin

Postby Scribs » Wed Jan 18, 2006 7:43 am

Somehow form a Family a series of somewhat true storys by Tony Early.
"I concluded from the begining that this would be the end; and I am right, for it is not half over."
-Sir Boyle Roche
Scribs

Postby Technomancer » Wed Jan 18, 2006 9:16 am

At the moment, I'm reading "Intelligent Life in the Universe: From Common Origins to the Future of Humanity" by Peter Ulmschneider. It's really a very good book and is solidly grounded in good science (at least up to where I've read now).

This book addresses the origins, development and fate of extraterrestrial intelligent life in the universe. The author presents a wide-ranging analysis of the type of knowledge that can be inferred about extraterrestrial intelligent societies from our own biological, cultural and scientific evolution, and from the likely future of mankind. Providing extensive background information from astronomy, geology, chemistry and biology, the book will appeal both to the scientist and the general reader.

I'm also reading "Computation Neuroscience: A Comprehensive Approach"
The scientific method," Thomas Henry Huxley once wrote, "is nothing but the normal working of the human mind." That is to say, when the mind is working; that is to say further, when it is engaged in corrrecting its mistakes. Taking this point of view, we may conclude that science is not physics, biology, or chemistry—is not even a "subject"—but a moral imperative drawn from a larger narrative whose purpose is to give perspective, balance, and humility to learning.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby mitsuki lover » Wed Jan 18, 2006 1:03 pm

Lord Minimus by Nick Page.This is a biography of Queen Henrietta Maria's dwarf
Jeffrey Hudson.Actually since there isn't that much about him that is known it's really as much about the Stuarts and the world of the Seventeenth Century English court as it is about Hudson.
mitsuki lover

Postby uc pseudonym » Thu Jan 19, 2006 2:18 pm

Inviting Transformation by Karen and Sonja Foss

I didn't expect this to be a dull book, but it is. Then again, I have read only the first two chapters.
uc pseudonym

Postby Arnobius » Thu Jan 19, 2006 2:55 pm

"Christian Wisdom of the Jedi Masters" by Dick Staub.

I was asked by my sister in law to review this before she gave it to her son. Trying to match Bible quotes with quotes from the Star Wars movies. Makes many references to Eastern religions, takes verses out of context and makes superficial generalizations that seem new age and somewhat gnostic.

I plan to give it a full reading before giving her a final opinion in case it later gets right
Arnobius

Postby Locke » Thu Jan 19, 2006 4:42 pm

Battlefield Earth - L. Ron Hubbard
Event Horizon - The movie
The Broker - John Grisham

Hmm..Lawyers and scientology!
Secret Bumping Club Member #10 - geocities.com/arphage/sbc.html

When you find yourself in the company of a halfling and an ill-tempered
Dragon, remember, you do not have to outrun the Dragon...
...you just have to outrun the halfling.
Locke

Postby TurkishMonky » Fri Jan 20, 2006 6:51 am

Physics for Engineers - i thought that PHY 211 would be harder then 111 (which i had to drop out of in highschool to be able to go on a misssions trip - i did physics on my own afterwards)

however, this class, unlike the other, drops the lowest test of 5, and in addition gives up to 40% extra credit for the course for doing the homework.... what are schools these days coming to?
TurkishMonky

Postby Lady Arianrod » Fri Jan 20, 2006 8:51 am

"A Christmas Angel" in the Cape Light series by Thomas Kinkade and Katherine Spencer.
~Life is the art of drawing without an eraser~

Lady Arianrod, lover of nature and fire.

Hello there! I'm back after a long break! I started watching anime again in 2016. I still check the forum too!

"But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us." Romans 5:8

"I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world." John 16:33
Lady Arianrod

Postby Kaori » Fri Jan 20, 2006 7:17 pm

The Lais of Marie de France: a collection of brief, enjoyable medieval romances.

Redeeming Creation: The Biblical Basis for Environmental Stewardship, by Van Dyke, Mahan, Sheldon, and Brand. I won't be reading the entire book (for class, at least), but I was impressed by the quality of writing. Not everything written by professors I have had has been this good.

On my roommate's recommendation, I am reading I, Coriander, by Sally Gardner. The book is interesting for its narrative style: while it is set in England shortly after the death of Elizabeth I, the narrator writes in a style that is slightly more antiquated and formal than our speech today, but not by very much. The idea is to create a feel of antiquated language without actually writing the book in Elizabethan English.
Let others believe in the God who brings men to trial and judges them. I shall cling to the God who resurrects the dead.

MAL
Kaori

Postby Lady Macbeth » Sat Jan 21, 2006 10:59 pm

Misquoting Jesus: The Story Behind Who Changed the Bible and Why by Bart D. Ehrman.

This book so far is rather good, though I'm not far into it yet. I was rather pleased to see that he's taking the approach of analyzing the problems with the modern Bible while accepting that the original manuscripts - none of which are in existence today - were the inerrant word of God.
Toto, I don't think we're in Oz anymore...

I'm a woman - when I'm lost, I ask for directions.

Genjyo Sanzo: Banishing Stupidity, One Idiot at a Time
Lady Macbeth

Postby uc pseudonym » Sun Jan 22, 2006 12:42 pm

A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man by James Joyce
The writing style does not appeal to me, though I like it more as it develops. Given how little happens and how little the protagonst progresses on his personal journal, the first chapter was far too long.

The Powers That Be by Walter Wink
Evidently the laypersons version, as all three of his volumes are condensed into a single work. So far, I'm liking it slightly more than the entire series simply because he doesn't get into some of the details, which is where I disagreed with him. This opinion is incomplete, however.
uc pseudonym

Postby PigtailsJazz » Sun Jan 22, 2006 1:17 pm

Currently I'm reading I Don't Have Enough Faith to Be an Atheist by Norman Geisler & Frank Turek (yay apologetics!), and Traveling Mercies: Some Thoughts on Faith by Anne Lamott. Both I would highly recommend, but Anne Lamott's book definitely has some language in it.
PigtailsJazz

Postby uc pseudonym » Mon Jan 23, 2006 8:11 am

Last time I should have mentioned that I am also reading Walter Brueggemann's The Message of the Psalms. I was told it was thick reading, and despite the fact that even the preface has numbered points and subpoints I have found it very accessible. Unfortunately, the assumptions that Brueggemann lays out at the beginning of the book, though necessary for his focus, are such that the book will do nothing to alleviate my general cynicism regarding the collection.

I want to pick up some solid fiction; I could use the variety.
uc pseudonym

Postby Sayuri » Mon Jan 23, 2006 5:47 pm

The only book that I'm readin is THE CAY by Theredore...Whatever is last name is... I'm reading it in school. Its rather annoying because of the snot nosed brat Phillip. But it gets interesting now and then....I guess...
Life is just one huge game of Chess
Sayuri

Postby Tarnish » Mon Jan 23, 2006 6:08 pm

How To Talk To a Liberal (If You Must) by Ann Coulter
Slander by Ann Coulter
Treason by Ann Coulter
The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame
i draw things

Ponies are for ages six and under.
Tarnish

Postby mitsuki lover » Tue Jan 24, 2006 2:58 pm

A Pictorial History of the Civil War years by Paul M. Angle
mitsuki lover

Postby Kaori » Tue Jan 24, 2006 9:39 pm

This Time of Darkness, by H. M. Hoover. This is a work of juvenile science fiction, remarkable for the way the child heroes actually act like children. Overall, it was quite an engaging read.

For class, I am reading more of Chretien de Troyes' Arthurian Romances. I just finished rereading "Eric and Enide," but will soon be reading the stories that my Arthurian Literature class last semester didn't cover.

MAL
Kaori

Previous Next

Return to Book Corner