Manga voicings

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

Manga voicings

Postby Ayres91 » Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:53 pm

I don't know if this is considered weird or if it comes out naturally to some of you, but do you guys develop "voicings" for manga characters? Since we're essentially reading dialogue, we make up our own voices on how the characters would talk in our heads - our own personal VA's for manga characters so to speak.

Though usually when I see an anime of the series first, I often use the anime voicing (in English) for the characters when I read the manga version.
Ayres91

Postby PrincessZelda » Tue Jan 03, 2006 11:10 pm

Yeah, I do that. Never really thought it before, though, lol.
"If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats."

PrincessZelda

Postby uc pseudonym » Wed Jan 04, 2006 8:54 am

In general, no. Then again, when I imagine people speaking I rarely think about their voices, including people I have spoken with in real life.

However, when I see an anime after reading the equivalent manga, there are times when I think a voice does not fit a character. This indicates that I do have something in mind for them, even if I am not conscious of it.
uc pseudonym

Postby ChristianKitsune » Wed Jan 04, 2006 10:44 am

yup! I do so!! but really only with anime i have seen and am reading the manga too...sometimes I will imagine voices for manga that I am just reading...but I never really thought about it..O.o
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
Web-Manga Hosted by: The Project
ChristianKitsune

Location: In my sketchbook of wonderment and puffy pink clouds! *\^o^/*

Postby Radical Dreamer » Wed Jan 04, 2006 11:35 am

Yep, I do that! XD If I'm reading the manga of an anime I've already seen, I'll insert the correct voices for the respective characters. But if I'm reading a manga for something I haven't seen, I just insert my own voices, haha! ...Of course, that's all going on in my head, never to be said out-loud...XD
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby meboeck » Wed Jan 04, 2006 12:10 pm

I always read in voices that I imagine characters having, with both manga and regular books. I think it started when I got into an English author. A lot of the characters had English dialects, so it made more sense if I thought of them as having English accents.
*insert poem, quote, or witty comment here*

"If it doesn't fit, you must edIT! -- [color=#cc3322]MOES."
[/color]
meboeck

Postby Debitt » Wed Jan 04, 2006 1:02 pm

...my very good friend used to give dramatic readings of the Dragon Knights series. The villain sounded like Elvis.

[SIZE="5"](*゚∀゚)アハア八アッ八ッノヽ~☆[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]DEBS: Fan of that manga where the kid's head is on fire.[/SIZE]
Debitt

Postby Aka-chan » Mon Jan 16, 2006 2:49 pm

Kokoro Daisuke wrote:...my very good friend used to give dramatic readings of the Dragon Knights series. The villain sounded like Elvis.

XDDDD Awesome!

I do something like that with Bleach when my friend is on the phone and see how long it takes for her to start laughing and then promptly kick me out.
Aka-chan

Postby Mangafanatic » Mon Jan 16, 2006 4:55 pm

Kokoro Daisuke wrote:...my very good friend used to give dramatic readings of the Dragon Knights series. The villain sounded like Elvis.

Bwa ha ha! That's fabulous.

I always give manga characters voices. I really get upset when I watch an anime adaptation of a manga I read, because my voice for the character is supplanted in my mind by the voice of the actor in the anime's voice.

You! Anime Momiji Sohma Voice! Stay away from my manga Momiji!
Every year in Uganda, innumerable children simply. . . disappear. These children all stolen under the cover of darkness from their homes and impressed into the guerilla armies of the LRA [Lord's Resistance Army]. In the deserts of Uganda, they are forced to witness the mindless slaughter of other children until they themselves can do nothing but kill. Kill. These children, generally ranging from ages 5-12, are brainwashed into murdering in the name of the resistance and into stealing other children from their beds to suffer the same fate.

Because of this genocide of innocence, hundred and hundreds of children live every night sleeping in public places miles from their homes, because they know that if the do not-- they will disappear. They will become just another number in this genocide to which the international community has chosen to turn a blind eye. They will become, in affect, invisible-- Invisible Children.

But there are those who are trying to fight against this slaughter of Uganda's children. They fight to protect these "invisible children." Please, help them help a country full of children who know nothing by fear. Help save the innocence. For more information concerning how you can help and how you can get an incredible video about this horrific reality, visit the Invisible Children home page.
Mangafanatic

Postby Kisa » Thu Jan 19, 2006 10:16 am

Yea I do that, lol, its funny when you think about it ^^
Romans 12:2
Kisa

Postby Fionn Fael » Wed Jan 25, 2006 9:28 pm

I think most people do that, whether consciously or not. But, if I'm distracted, I find myself losing track of exactly what each voice is supposed to sound like, so I stop and try to remember. Pretty pathetic, eh?
Formerly known as haru_bay_nay

Avatar by: tinamakesicons(LiveJournal.com)

"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest." -Matthew 11:28

"Even when our eyes are closed, there's a whole world out there that lives outside ourselves and our dreams." --Edward Elric, Fullmetal Alchemist

“To put alcohol in the human is like putting sand in the bearing of an engine." --Thomas Edison

[color="RoyalBlue"][font="Trebuchet MS"]The simplest way that I can understand therapy is that we're born a certain way, we're taught to be something different, and we spend our whole lives trying to unravel it and ultimately align ourselves with who we really are. Life, experiences, traumas -- whatever -- they all add up to make you some altered version of what you are. So there's this battle that goes on between what you are and what you become, and it's been very important for me to unravel what I was taught to be or what I became. and to draw a direct parallel to music -- the closer I get back to being who I really am, the stronger the music gets..." --Billy Corgan (Smashing Pumpkins frontman)[/font][/color]

Adopted by KhakiBlueSocks!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Fionn Fael

Postby edendreams » Wed Jan 25, 2006 11:57 pm

I do it all the time! >< i'll be in my car working out the dialog for a scene and talking like the characters Haha. but that's with not just my own manga but the one's i read. i usually just will voice the lines i love a lot
edendreams

Postby MorwenLaicoriel » Fri Feb 03, 2006 8:52 pm

Not only do I do that, but I can often NAME what voice actors are actually doing the voices in my head!! "That character is being played by Cam Clarke. That one by Tara Strong."

Actually, it's sorta ruined the Fruits Basket anime for me. The voice I had for Yuki was VERY strongly planted in my head--the same voice that Ken had in the english dub of Digimon--and I can't stand EITHER version, subbed or dubbed, of Furuba because of it!! XD The english one is too monotone and unemotional, the japanese one is too high-pitched and girly. Neither works...! ^^;
MorwenLaicoriel

Postby Joshua Christopher » Fri Feb 03, 2006 11:25 pm

I imagine everyone sounds like Gilbert Godfrey, screaming at the top of his lungs, and then I get through half of the shonen crap that's floating around a lot faster.
Joshua Christopher

Postby Sakura15 » Sat Feb 04, 2006 8:08 am

Lol! yes! I do that.
[color="SeaGreen"]
"For I am the LORD, your God, who takes hold of your right hand and says to you, Do not fear; I will help you." -Isaiah 41:13
[/color]

[font="Georgia"]
Sakura's Deviantart
[/font]
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]
For what do I have
If I don't have You, Jesus?
What in this life
Could mean any more?- Starfield
[/color]
Sakura15

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews