What are you reading?

A place to discuss your favorite authors and poets, Christian and secular

Postby PrincessZelda » Mon Dec 26, 2005 2:11 am

I'm reading the 5th book in the Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan right now... And Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis... Yep.
"If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats."

PrincessZelda

Postby Scribs » Mon Dec 26, 2005 10:38 am

The Lost World - Micheal Chrichton.
"I concluded from the begining that this would be the end; and I am right, for it is not half over."
-Sir Boyle Roche
Scribs

Postby Bobtheduck » Thu Dec 29, 2005 10:16 pm

I'm reading Perelandra right now... I'm about 1/3 through it, and so far, um, there is no plot. I am, so far, thinking this isnt' a story as much as pure philosophy. Beautiful worlds, though. And, his philosophy is interesting...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Legend of Crying Bronies: Twilight's a Princess
Bobtheduck

Postby uc pseudonym » Fri Dec 30, 2005 11:10 am

I find your "no plot" statement interesting, and assume you must be using a very exclusive definition of "plot." While the plot is never what one would call complex (it stays about like it was for the first third, if I recall), once Ransom stops ambling about it is always moving in some direction.

However, I certainly wouldn't read it for the plot, either. The book interested me most when it dealt with the philiological aspects, and the angels, both of which you may not have gotten to yet.
uc pseudonym

Postby Tommy » Fri Dec 30, 2005 11:23 am

"Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian". I don`t feel like I need to explain. It`s my 500th time through it.

"Monster" by Frank Perretti. Really good survival horror. I would like franky to continue the Veritas series though.
FKA Tom Dincht

Check out my band if you've got the time.
http://encompass1.bandcamp.com/
Tommy

Postby shadow_warrior » Fri Dec 30, 2005 11:26 am

Tom Dincht wrote:"Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian". I don`t feel like I need to explain. It`s my 500th time through it.

"Monster" by Frank Perretti. Really good survival horror. I would like franky to continue the Veritas series though.

Ah, the Chronicles of Narnia, my favorite series. I have read those series soo many times.

The movie was good too. Disney didnt mess it up too much!
shadow_warrior

Postby DaughterOfZion » Fri Dec 30, 2005 11:32 am

i finished the singer of all songs.
/ 人 ‿‿人 \
"Validation is for parking."- Steal Like an Artist Austin Kleon
I have deduced that your imagination has no coherence whatsoever.- Kyōya Ōtori
DaughterOfZion

Postby Scribs » Fri Dec 30, 2005 12:19 pm

State of Fear by Micheal Chricton
"I concluded from the begining that this would be the end; and I am right, for it is not half over."
-Sir Boyle Roche
Scribs

Postby Bobtheduck » Fri Dec 30, 2005 9:43 pm

uc pseudonym wrote:I find your "no plot" statement interesting, and assume you must be using a very exclusive definition of "plot." While the plot is never what one would call complex (it stays about like it was for the first third, if I recall), once Ransom stops ambling about it is always moving in some direction.

However, I certainly wouldn't read it for the plot, either. The book interested me most when it dealt with the philiological aspects, and the angels, both of which you may not have gotten to yet.

My definition of Plot is this: Take these two examples:

"I walked around, observing the vaguely appetizing yellow flowers as they swayed calmly on the breeze. A man walked up to me wearing a blue raincoat and black pants. He seemed to be very busy, and wasn't much for conversation."

and this

"He lifted it up into the air, and studied it until he figured out what he was actually looking at... It was the will! His father's will, in plain sight during the whole argument! He brought the sword to the judge, who examined it carefully. It was clear, now, that Alex was the true heir."

The first one is setting a stage. The second is having something happen. There is a lot of stage setting in Perelandra. A lot... In the first 7 chapters, there's not a lot of stuff happening. There's "He went to Perelandra" there's "He almost drowned" and there's "He met someone" and that's about it. There is, however, a lot of discussion. Discussion of beliefs and the foundations of those beliefs. That is closer to "setting the stage" than it is to "something happening" That is what I mean by no plot.

Yeah, I just got to the point that [spoiler= Is this a spoiler?]Weston landed on the Planet, and they're discussing Weston's reason for coming[/spoiler] Still, nothing is really happening, but it feels like something is about to happen (I'm on page 93) There was so much urgency in his going there, I would think there would have to be something that happens.

It is interesting to look at this purely philisophically, as the realm of philisophical discussion has long been one that people consider outside of Christian thought... C.S. Lewis is definately someone who is able to get around certain Intelectual barriers... It does make it hard to read when you have lydexia, though (I read Ransom as saying "I am not a Christian.)

From what I hear, That Hideous Strength is even more deeply philisophical than Perelandra. Well, I'm gonna finish the books no matter what. I can hardly bear to read a story or watch a movie or TV show and not know how it ends... And, it's not like I don't like it. It's just not what I was expecting.

I am going to try to read as much as I can tonight. I've promised myself I was going to read every one of the novels I own... That means I'm going to have to try to stay awake through the "Council of Elrond" in Fellowship... *groan*
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Legend of Crying Bronies: Twilight's a Princess
Bobtheduck

Postby uc pseudonym » Sat Dec 31, 2005 11:07 am

Bobtheduck wrote:From what I hear, That Hideous Strength is even more deeply philisophical than Perelandra.

I realize only now that Perelandra is the name for Venus, not Mars... I had been thinking that you were reading Out of the Silent Planet. In that context, your comments make far more sense.

Just wait, the book will get even more extensive in this respect when a later event occurs. I think you'll know what I mean when you reach it. As for That Hideous Strength, I am not sure if I agree about the degree of philosophy within it. It is certainly a ponderous novel.

Bobtheduck wrote:My definition of Plot is this [etc.]

That's fair. You are earlier in the plot than I had been thinking (as the setup material tends to consolidate itself in my mind), so you are correct that fairly little has happened.
uc pseudonym

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Sat Dec 31, 2005 1:22 pm

The Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Doulas Adams.
Shao Feng-Li

Postby Kaori » Sat Dec 31, 2005 4:52 pm

Since the last time I posted:

Phillip K. Dick's Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? I was warned that I probably would not like this book, but it was actually a very enjoyable read.

Jane Eyre. Charlotte Bronte isn't the best prose stylist, but she makes up for it in other aras.

Od Magic by Patricia McKillip. Her writing is marvelous.

I've also been reading some things by Longfellow, Shakespeare, and Oscar Wilde.
Let others believe in the God who brings men to trial and judges them. I shall cling to the God who resurrects the dead.
-St. Nikolai Velimirovich

MAL
Kaori

Postby CrimsonRyu17 » Sat Dec 31, 2005 5:09 pm

I'm currently reading,

Dragons in our midst: circles of seven by Bryan Davis.

this is the third one of the dragons in our midst series. the other two were awesome. it's really good, and it's even written by a christian author ^ ^. heres some info on the back,

Circles of seven is a contemporary fantasy novel, the third in the series of books for pre-teens and young adults. this series inspires people to pursue faith, courage, and love and to dig deep within to find their God-given strengths, no matter how difficult the circumstances. the first book, Raising Dragons, plunged two teenagers, Billy Bannister and Bonnie Silver, into mind-boggling mysteries, life or death pursuits, and deadly sword-to-sword battles.
CrimsonRyu17

Postby uc pseudonym » Sun Jan 01, 2006 12:10 pm

The Sacred Romance: Drawing Closer to the Heart of God by John Eldredge and Brent Curtis

I began this book knowing full well that it would probably annoy me to no end. This was the case, but I'd rather not talk about that extensively on the forums in case there are others fond of the book or its writers.
uc pseudonym

Postby Sammy Boy » Mon Jan 02, 2006 8:30 pm

Superheroes and Philosophy (ed. Tom Morris & Matt Morris).

Yep, finally gotten around to buying a copy and reading through it. Some interesting nuggets inside. Makes me want to read my comic collection and go back to drawing superheroes. :)
Sammy Boy

Postby chimera189 » Mon Jan 02, 2006 11:22 pm

Robotech: Battlehymn by Jack McKinney
Forgotten Realms: The Thousand Orcs by R.A. Salvatore
Defend the Bible? I would as soon defend a lion! Charles Spurgeon
I want to know how God created this world. I am not interested in this or that phenomenon, in the spectrum of this or that element. I want to know His thoughts. The rest are details. Albert Einstien
Luke 23:39-43; "And it also makes me smile to think that there is a grinning ex-con walking the streets of gold that knows more about grace than a thousand theologans. No one else would have given him a prayer, but in the end that is all he had, and in the end that is all it took." -Max Lucado

[url=myspace.com/chimera189]myspace[/url]
chimera189

Postby TurkishMonky » Tue Jan 03, 2006 7:18 am

Conquerors Pride by Timothy Zahn. so far excellent, and Timothy Zahn is still my favorite sci fi writer.
TurkishMonky

Postby Scribs » Tue Jan 03, 2006 9:08 am

TurkishMonky wrote:Conquerors Pride by Timothy Zahn. so far excellent, and Timothy Zahn is still my favorite sci fi writer.

The only sci fi books I have read much of are the Star Wars ones, but his are definatly the best ones.
-Sir Boyle Roche
Scribs

Postby righteous_slave » Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:30 am

Re-reading 1984, and still getting the socks scared off by it's uncanny accuracy.
ImageImage
You have been set free from sin and have become slaves to righteousness. Rom. 6:18

God can do anything, anytime, anyway He wants to.......if He wants to paint me blue and hang me upside down nekkid from an apple tree, thats alright, as long as it's God doing it. Of course, if He comes through with a directive like that, I might have to ask for some I.D. Michael Wanke
righteous_slave

Postby Anti-me » Tue Jan 03, 2006 5:47 pm

Monster by Frank Peretti
His first two books, This Present Darkness is one, are by far his best, though
Anti-me

Postby Puritan » Tue Jan 03, 2006 7:54 pm

I'm working on the Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant by Steven Donaldson. The Thomas Covenant books are interesting, the main character is a leper anti-hero, and the author brings the problem of sin out to the fore. Not to spoil plot points, but the actions of the characters keep having repercussions throughout the books, with the main character even making a mistake he immediately greatly regrets, but which continue to have extremely negative consequences throughout the series.
Puritan

Postby Technomancer » Tue Jan 03, 2006 9:08 pm

Yurij Baryshev & Pekka Teerikorpi- "Discovery of Cosmic Fractals"

Fractal geometry is a novel way to comprehend nature. Fractals, phenomena displaying self-similarity, are being uncovered in the solar system, in our home galaxy- the Milky Way- and, most tellingly the largest structures of the Universe.
The scientific method," Thomas Henry Huxley once wrote, "is nothing but the normal working of the human mind." That is to say, when the mind is working; that is to say further, when it is engaged in corrrecting its mistakes. Taking this point of view, we may conclude that science is not physics, biology, or chemistry—is not even a "subject"—but a moral imperative drawn from a larger narrative whose purpose is to give perspective, balance, and humility to learning.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby the_lizardqueen » Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:14 pm

I just finished "The Life of Pi", it was..interesting. It was definitely a one of a kind, and the author had a very distinct writing voice. But the middle section got a little too graphic in spots, and then at the end I ended up getting all confused as to whether or not it had been a metaphor of some kind (?).

The meerkats were cute. :sweat:
[color="lightgreen"]"There is an art, or rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."

-The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy[/color]
the_lizardqueen

Postby Technomancer » Wed Jan 04, 2006 5:43 am

That was a pretty cool book. The point though is that it is left up to the reader to decide whether the narrator is telling an actual story, or whether the animals represent a different set of events. The alternate explanation is developed a little at the end of the book. Of course, the story as a whole could be taken as a metaphor for religion itself (which is a theme that permeates the novel).
The scientific method," Thomas Henry Huxley once wrote, "is nothing but the normal working of the human mind." That is to say, when the mind is working; that is to say further, when it is engaged in corrrecting its mistakes. Taking this point of view, we may conclude that science is not physics, biology, or chemistry—is not even a "subject"—but a moral imperative drawn from a larger narrative whose purpose is to give perspective, balance, and humility to learning.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby uc pseudonym » Wed Jan 04, 2006 8:41 am

Puritan wrote:I'm working on the Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant by Steven Donaldson. The Thomas Covenant books are interesting, the main character is a leper anti-hero, and the author brings the problem of sin out to the fore. Not to spoil plot points, but the actions of the characters keep having repercussions throughout the books, with the main character even making a mistake he immediately greatly regrets, but which continue to have extremely negative consequences throughout the series.

That was an interesting series overall. As far as fantasy goes, it is relatively original.

the_lizardqueen wrote:I just finished "The Life of Pi", it was..interesting.

A friend recommended this book to me. It is possible I may pursue it. However, I should probably convince myself to finish Chapterhouse: Dune first. Though I want to finish the series, the writing fails to interest me enough to read often.
uc pseudonym

Postby the_lizardqueen » Wed Jan 04, 2006 3:03 pm

Technomancer wrote:That was a pretty cool book. The point though is that it is left up to the reader to decide whether the narrator is telling an actual story, or whether the animals represent a different set of events. The alternate explanation is developed a little at the end of the book. Of course, the story as a whole could be taken as a metaphor for religion itself (which is a theme that permeates the novel).
I see, thanks for the explanation ^_^
[spoiler]I guess my only issue with the book is the fact that I'm extremely cynical and I had already been disbelieving enough when I had first read the summary about a boy and a tiger in a raft together. I had immediately catogorized it as a fantasy, but I was very surprised when the author almost made it believable. Unfortunately, as soon as the alternate, animal-free version was told, I decided that Pi must have been so traumatized by the awful events that he dreamed up the crazy tiger tale to block out the memories. I really need to cut back on the negativity.

It does make an excellent point about faith. Really, why should it matter if the first or second tale was for real? I can't believe a fictional tale within a tale has gotten me so befuddled. Wow...[/spoiler]
[color="lightgreen"]"There is an art, or rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."

-The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy[/color]
the_lizardqueen

Postby LostChild » Wed Jan 04, 2006 3:27 pm

I'm reading LOTR again for the 5 or 6 time since my second year Jr. High (i'm now a Senior in Highschool). I read it at least once a year every year, always begining on the First of January. >.< I LOVE this book!!!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
LostChild

Postby TurkishMonky » Thu Jan 05, 2006 6:37 am

i'm reading conquerors Heritage, by timothy zahn. book two in the series, and awesome read so far.
TurkishMonky

Postby uc pseudonym » Tue Jan 10, 2006 6:23 pm

I reread both Right and Wrong as Clues to the Meaning of the Universe and What Christians Believe (by CS Lewis) because of a (Christian) friend who disliked both books quite a bit and because it had been too long since I had read them for me to consider his comments fairly. My conclusion is that we simply read in a different manner: if you are looking for a convincing, thorough argument, the book is not such; I, however, considered it merely a collection of ideas, many of them worth considering.

At this point I have finished a major portion of Life of Pi, by Yann Martel. I will reserve judgement on it until I finish the book, but so far I find the combination of the claim that the story will make you believe in God, random philosphical musings, and a sea survival story rather odd. What I didn't expect was monotony, but it looks as though that will soon be over.
uc pseudonym

Postby Locke » Tue Jan 10, 2006 6:28 pm

I'm almost done with Grisham's The Partner.
Good writer, just needs to write about something other than lawyers and money.
Secret Bumping Club Member #10 - geocities.com/arphage/sbc.html

When you find yourself in the company of a halfling and an ill-tempered
Dragon, remember, you do not have to outrun the Dragon...
...you just have to outrun the halfling.
Locke

Previous Next

Return to Book Corner