anyone read any CMX titles?

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

anyone read any CMX titles?

Postby rocklobster » Tue Nov 15, 2005 12:06 pm

Ever since I learned DC was starting this imprint, I've been interested in its lineup. Has anyone read any of the titles. If so, which ones are worth it?
rocklobster

Postby termyt » Tue Nov 15, 2005 12:27 pm

I've read the first volume of Chikyu Misaki and there's a thread on it here.

That's the only one that's looked interesting to me, though.

Of course, I'm no gauge for figuring out what's popular.
[color="Red"]Please visit Love146.org[/color]
A member of the Society of Hatted Members
If your pedantic about grammar, its unlikely that you'll copy and paste this into your sig, to.
termyt

Postby Arnobius » Tue Nov 15, 2005 12:53 pm

Read Gals 1 and 2, Similar in style to the anime. Was OK, but not interested an any more of it
Arnobius

Postby Ashley » Tue Nov 15, 2005 3:23 pm

CMX is publishing KKJ, so eventually I'll read some ^^;; But I haven't yet.
Ashley

Postby uc pseudonym » Wed Nov 16, 2005 8:36 am

A few random titles, but I haven't become seriously involved in any of their series.
uc pseudonym

Postby Kisa » Wed Nov 16, 2005 10:53 am

Chikyu Misaki (good and cute) and waiting for them to finally release Kamikaze Kaitou Jeanne ^^
Romans 12:2
Kisa

Postby Mangafanatic » Wed Nov 16, 2005 10:54 am

I casually read one or two of their releases, against my better judgment.

4Kids:Anime as CMX:Manga. Such a statement sums up most people's feelings on the company.
Every year in Uganda, innumerable children simply. . . disappear. These children all stolen under the cover of darkness from their homes and impressed into the guerilla armies of the LRA [Lord's Resistance Army]. In the deserts of Uganda, they are forced to witness the mindless slaughter of other children until they themselves can do nothing but kill. Kill. These children, generally ranging from ages 5-12, are brainwashed into murdering in the name of the resistance and into stealing other children from their beds to suffer the same fate.

Because of this genocide of innocence, hundred and hundreds of children live every night sleeping in public places miles from their homes, because they know that if the do not-- they will disappear. They will become just another number in this genocide to which the international community has chosen to turn a blind eye. They will become, in affect, invisible-- Invisible Children.

But there are those who are trying to fight against this slaughter of Uganda's children. They fight to protect these "invisible children." Please, help them help a country full of children who know nothing by fear. Help save the innocence. For more information concerning how you can help and how you can get an incredible video about this horrific reality, visit the Invisible Children home page.
Mangafanatic

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:32 am

4Kids:Anime as CMX:Manga. Such a statement sums up most people's feelings on the company.

Uhm... What exactly do they do to the mangas? Scissors and white-out?
Shao Feng-Li

Postby rocklobster » Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:53 am

Mangafanatic wrote:I causually read one or two of their releases, against my better judgment.

Wait a minute. Don't they have "mature"-rated titles? And anyway. that's a bad move on DC's part. They got a whole line of mature-reader titles. So why would they balk now? :rant:
rocklobster

Postby Ichigo_89 » Wed Nov 16, 2005 12:01 pm

CMX has a couple of ok titles (IMO). Land of the Blind-folded and Musashi NO.9# I found interesting...
Ichigo_89

Postby Mangafanatic » Wed Nov 16, 2005 12:11 pm

A quick thought concerning CMX, has anyone seen KKJ on the shelves? It's supposedly released, but I have yet to see it.

Shao Feng-Li wrote:Uhm... What exactly do they do to the mangas? Scissors and white-out?

Well, they did buy a certain border-line hetai title, edit the snot out of it and then try to market it to teenagers. Does that count?
Every year in Uganda, innumerable children simply. . . disappear. These children all stolen under the cover of darkness from their homes and impressed into the guerilla armies of the LRA [Lord's Resistance Army]. In the deserts of Uganda, they are forced to witness the mindless slaughter of other children until they themselves can do nothing but kill. Kill. These children, generally ranging from ages 5-12, are brainwashed into murdering in the name of the resistance and into stealing other children from their beds to suffer the same fate.

Because of this genocide of innocence, hundred and hundreds of children live every night sleeping in public places miles from their homes, because they know that if the do not-- they will disappear. They will become just another number in this genocide to which the international community has chosen to turn a blind eye. They will become, in affect, invisible-- Invisible Children.

But there are those who are trying to fight against this slaughter of Uganda's children. They fight to protect these "invisible children." Please, help them help a country full of children who know nothing by fear. Help save the innocence. For more information concerning how you can help and how you can get an incredible video about this horrific reality, visit the Invisible Children home page.
Mangafanatic

Postby Nate » Wed Nov 16, 2005 3:52 pm

rocklobster wrote:Wait a minute. Don't they have "mature"-rated titles? And anyway. that's a bad move on DC's part. They got a whole line of mature-reader titles. So why would they balk now? :rant:

Huzzah! CMX bashing! I am SO there!

The title in question is Tenjho Tenge. This manga was borderline hentai in Japan, as Osaka stated (the anime is not though).

CMX seems to see manga as a "teen fad," which has resulted in its heavy editing of the series with blatant disregard for the content...even with all the nudity and language edited out, the subject matter that remained was certainly inappropriate for 13 year old readers (this has resulted in some angry letters from parents, from what I understand).

Other heavily edited titles from CMX include TenTen and By The Sword. CMX continues to ignore fans and edit the manga, which has put fans up in arms. They also refuse to release uncensored versions of the titles.

Sound like a certain piratey anime fiasco? This is the reason why CMX is referred to as the 4Kids of the manga world. Only in their case, they're taking titles that are blatantly inappropriate and trying to market them to young teens, thinking it will get them more money (of which they are sadly mistaken, as the sales of Tenjho Tenge are apparently very low).

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Spiritsword » Wed Nov 16, 2005 5:27 pm

I have been in ownership of KKJ volume 1 for several days now, so it is out. I love the artwork! I'm not sure about the translation, as I'm not familiar with the original. And as Ash has probably mentioned somewhere, there are some questionable religious themes in there, so be guided by the Spirit when checking it out.
Spiritsword

Postby MasterDias » Wed Nov 16, 2005 6:18 pm

kaemmerite wrote:CMX seems to see manga as a "teen fad," which has resulted in its heavy editing of the series with blatant disregard for the content...even with all the nudity and language edited out, the subject matter that remained was certainly inappropriate for 13 year old readers (this has resulted in some angry letters from parents, from what I understand).

Everyone who doesn't like it due to its serious content issues still aren't going to buy it... (removing nudity does not make the content any better).
And those who were fans of it before aren't going to buy it now anyway...
Frankly, it's a lose/lose situation for CMX....no matter how you look at it.

I really don't understand what is going on in CMX's upper management...
-----------------------------------------
"Always seek to do good to one another and to all."
1 Thessalonians 5:15

"Every story must have an ending." - Auron - Final Fantasy X

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby Kisa » Thu Nov 17, 2005 9:53 am

Spiritsword wrote:I have been in ownership of KKJ volume 1 for several days now, so it is out. I love the artwork! I'm not sure about the translation, as I'm not familiar with the original. And as Ash has probably mentioned somewhere, there are some questionable religious themes in there, so be guided by the Spirit when checking it out.

Ah! Its out its out! Stop the presses! I can't beleive its finally out!
LOL OK I'm done ^^''
Must go find it myself now ^^
Yes and people who haven't read it be warned about the themes like Spiritsword says
Romans 12:2
Kisa

Postby rocklobster » Thu Nov 17, 2005 11:53 am

:rant: DC, what are you thinking? Way too many angry letters from parents who accidentally bought Vertigo titles without looking at the front cover's clearly marked "Mature Readers" warning? And to think I once had so much respect for you guys. Until I learn otherwise, this Joe DC is no longer buying anymore DC titles! I mean it!
rocklobster

Postby Htom Sirveaux » Sat Nov 19, 2005 5:00 pm

CMX can Chew Many Xylophones. I love the Tenjou Tenge anime (fansubs yay!). But when I browsed a copy of their horribly mutated version of the manga, it stunk so bad I swear it must have farted.
(Was that a little over the line? I apologize.)
If this post seems too utterly absurd or ridiculous to be taken seriously, don't. :)
Htom Sirveaux

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews