Do you ever feel guilty about stuff you listen to?

For all the music-lovers out there, this is your place to swap lyrics, talk about new bands and jazz about concerts. All things related to the audio world belong here.

Postby LorentzForce » Sun Nov 30, 2003 2:00 am

command and conquer music. 'nuff said.

*while listening to Hell March, does his air-guitar move* :rock:

(because there aren't many lyrics at all :sweat: )
LorentzForce

Postby Straylight » Sun Nov 30, 2003 2:56 am

Ooh, that game had an amazing soundtrack. I LOVED the CD tracks on the "Aftermath" expansion disc.
[align=center]
Banner above created using my avatar generator tool.
You know you want try it.
Straylight

Postby Tet-chan » Sun Nov 30, 2003 3:39 am

Back on topic,
I usually feel guilty after listening to music that has vulgar words in it
Tet-chan

Postby cbwing0 » Mon Dec 01, 2003 7:21 am

It really is a personal matter. Some people can listen to certain songs without being affected, while others would be damaged/tempted by them.

I listen to a lot of secular music; then again, I also listen to a lot of Christian music.

I feel more guilty about downloading music, but that seems to be fading with time.

Edit-I didn't have time to list any of my favorite bands originially, but since no one else has posted yet, I will include them here:
Christian-
Pillar
Newsboys
Project 86
Zao
Living Sacrifice
DC Talk
Superchic[k]

Secular-
Soilwork
Flaw
Stratovarius
(hed) PE
The Haunted
Static-X
cbwing0

Postby TheMelodyMaker » Mon Dec 01, 2003 7:28 pm

I never feel guilty listening to Christmas music all throughout the year. ^_^
[color=RoyalBlue]@)}~`,~ [/color]Carry this rose in your signature as thanks to Inkhana, for all she has done for us in the past.Even though she is no longer a moderator, she has done an awful lot for us while she was and she deserves thanks. ^_^
TheMelodyMaker

Postby Zar » Fri Dec 05, 2003 12:43 pm

I feel guilty every time I get one of those stupid POP songs stuck in my head like "I get knocked out...but I get up again, they never Keep me down" I hate POP
Day after day nothing seems to change, but pretty soon everything is different
Zar

Postby Twilly Spree » Sat Dec 06, 2003 11:00 pm

I've never really been a huge Christian music fan. It's not that I don't have any (love FIF and the Insyderz). I was brought up listening to Jimmy Buffet, John Mellancamp, and Van Morrison. I don't mind fowl language as long as it isn't excessive (like every other word) and it detracts from the song. Example, I was in an angry girl mood this evening so I put in some Fiona Apple and sang it as loud as a could. It made me feel so much better, being able to get mad and be upset with someone else. So I guess to answer the question, no I've never felt bad about anything I listen to.
Maybe our mistakes are what make our fate. Without them, what would shape our lives? Perhaps if we never veered off course, we wouldn't fall in love, or have babies, or be who we are. After all, seasons change. So do cities. People come into your life and people go. But it's comforting to know the ones you love are always in your heart. And if you're very lucky, a plane ride away.
-Sex in the City
Twilly Spree

Postby Orange Kitten » Sun Dec 07, 2003 12:09 am

Seems like LZ is the most popular among secular music here.

Well for me, I don't feel quilty about anything I listen to. I'm not going to want to kill anybody or be persuaded to take drugs because I hear someone screaming those words out.
I go for beat over lyrics. As long as the beat rocks, I don't care what they're saying.

I grew up listening to oldies mainly 'cause of my dad. Then started listening to the modern rock. My taste in music has expanded from gothic rock, to classical. The only music I really don't like, is country, rap, and r&b.

Back in the day of my old Youth Group, my youth pastor gave me a challenge to only listen to Christian music for a month. So I took him up on that, and in that month, I found a load of music I've never heard before. My favorite was Rebecca St James. To my dissapointment, I didn't find much Christian Rock music that I liked. I was majorly into swing/ska at the time, and my friends were like "here listen to Five Iron Frenzy, you'll LOVE em!" Gah, I listened to whatever FIF cd they gave me and never turned it back on. So far Flight 180 is my fav Christian swing/ska band.
Well, after my one month experiment, I found out that there is a lot of great music in the Christian music world. But there are just as many bands I like as I don't like, just like in the secular music world.
Conclusion: I gained knowledge of other bands I like, but won't give up my secular music.

If they're singing about sex or drugs, will it make me do that? No. I control myself, not them. Am I sinning because I listen to them pouting out words? I don't believe I am. Even if they do what they're singing about (which they MAY not; many times bands don't write their own music; but mostly they do) they are the ones sinning. May God change their hearts; nothing I can do about it. I just like the beats.

There's a song called "Sin City" by the Genitorturers. It's like Vegas on acid. Basically glorifies sin to the extreme. It may have some heavily dark phrases in it, but it's got to be one of the baddest rock beats I've heard in a while.

You should hear some of the cd mixes I've made. It'll start out with something like Genitorturers, but then change to Enya, Limp Bizkit, to Beethoven, Kitty, to Rebecca St James. Yeah, I got diversity :thumb: haha

Oh, and just in case you forgot, No I don't feel quilty.
"Destroy all that which is evil, so that which is good may flourish" - The Boondock Saints

"Man creates dolls in his own image. If God exists, it's possible that we're all just dolls to him." - Evangelion (episode 22)

AMV.org Profile
Orange Kitten

Postby Twilly Spree » Sun Dec 07, 2003 9:55 am

Totally agree with ya there OK, except beat over lyrics part. I'm a lyrics over beat, but then again I can do the beat over lyrics part too. I guess I'm just all over the map. My music ranges from punk and ska to indie rock to old school rock and at a little hip hop in there too.
Maybe our mistakes are what make our fate. Without them, what would shape our lives? Perhaps if we never veered off course, we wouldn't fall in love, or have babies, or be who we are. After all, seasons change. So do cities. People come into your life and people go. But it's comforting to know the ones you love are always in your heart. And if you're very lucky, a plane ride away.
-Sex in the City
Twilly Spree

Postby Bobtheduck » Sun Dec 07, 2003 10:38 am

I listen for lyrics, as long as the supporting music is decent, it's all about the message for me... Except for my DDR... I mean, one DDR song (boom boom dollar) may or may not be about a very questionable career... (I haven't figured it out yet, but it sure sounds like that to me) DDR is all about the rythym... That's because DDR music isn't for LISTENING, it's for DANCING.

Oh yeah, and the remake of "Smoke" isn't really about anything, but the original song...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Legend of Crying Bronies: Twilight's a Princess
Bobtheduck

Postby Rocketshipper » Mon Nov 29, 2004 10:46 am

I don't feel guilty about my music choices. I try to stay away from artists who use too much swearing or questionable subject matters in there songs. Nowdays almost all the music I aquire is opening and ending themes from Animes that I like. I think out of my multitude of MP3s I have only two songs with any swearing in them, and it's not excessive. When I sing along I usally just change the lyric myself, like singing "darn" isntead of "****".
Jessie and James, together forever!

AAML forever!

Colorado is EVIL!! Save me!!

Eternal Defender of Tracey Sketchit. If you are a Brock lover, beware ^_^

"Like the moon over
the day, my genius and brawn
are lost on these fools"-Bowser, Super Mario RPG

Confused about the meaning of the screen name??

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/RocketShipping

Go here and be enlightened ^_^

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHg5SJYRHA0

Click the above link...I dare you.

http://community.livejournal.com/ship_manifesto/87185.html

The best essay on Junzumi shipping ever ^^.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/Rocketshipper
Rocketshipper

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Mon Nov 29, 2004 10:53 am

heh, i dont listen to bad stuff. Usually jrock, ddr songs, christian songs, and game and movie soundtracks
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby PumpkinKoRn52 » Mon Nov 29, 2004 4:31 pm

NIN

I used to like them till I read their lyrics. Now I hate them.
"Relax, turn around, and take my hand." Tool
"Heir Kommt Die Sonne." Rammestein
"Now the world is gone, I'm just one. Oh please God help me." Metallica
"Are You Ready?!?" KoRn
"All and all your just another brick in the wall." Pink Floyd.
The downfall of society will be society itself.
Rap is the malignant tumor of the music industry.
I HATE LINKIN PARK
PumpkinKoRn52

Postby Htom Sirveaux » Mon Nov 29, 2004 5:51 pm

I probably shouldn't even have that Tenacious D album. It's... well... funny for all the wrong reasons. Makes Spinal Tap look like The Monkees. But I still listen to it because I like Kyle Gass's guitar work.
If this post seems too utterly absurd or ridiculous to be taken seriously, don't. :)
Htom Sirveaux

Postby Kkun » Mon Nov 29, 2004 6:35 pm

I try to make sure that I won't feel guilty about the music I buy, which is why I do severe lyrical checks before buying CDs. I figure, it's 13.99 plus tax out the window after I buy this, so, being fundamentally cheap, I'm like an overprotective mother about what I buy! But, so many amazing CDs aren't "parental advisory" and don't have swear words, sexual content, or violence.
I'm a shoe-in for hater of the year.
Kkun

Postby redkorn » Mon Nov 29, 2004 7:09 pm

i really cant stand listening to the music that the only thing they sing are swear words, i think they have no talent if all they sing are swear words.
redkorn

Postby Hephzibah » Tue Nov 30, 2004 12:02 am

I mostly listen to Christian music now, but I used to listen to ALOT of Linkin Park. I didn't feel too guilty when listening to it, however I think it did make me rather angry and depressed. I now only have two of their songs on my comp (deleted the rest) and listen to them rarely
Hephzibah

Postby wolfs_rain_hige » Wed Dec 01, 2004 7:57 am

i dont really feel guilty about what i listen to, its just that my mom doesnt like evreything i listen to, i mean im not listning to stuff like Three Six Mafia or Snoop Dogg or anything like that, its just that my mom doesnt like some of the music i listen to, i cant figure out why though.
wolfs_rain_hige

Previous

Return to Jam Session