What are you reading?

A place to discuss your favorite authors and poets, Christian and secular

Postby Technomancer » Thu Sep 15, 2005 5:18 pm

"Conspirators" by Michael Andre Bernstein. I've also picked up "The Glass Bead Game" by Herman Hesse.
The scientific method," Thomas Henry Huxley once wrote, "is nothing but the normal working of the human mind." That is to say, when the mind is working; that is to say further, when it is engaged in corrrecting its mistakes. Taking this point of view, we may conclude that science is not physics, biology, or chemistry—is not even a "subject"—but a moral imperative drawn from a larger narrative whose purpose is to give perspective, balance, and humility to learning.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby uc pseudonym » Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:35 am

I am midway through Dune by Frank Herbert. Though I find the world and political intrigue very involving, I have been disappointed by most of his characterization.
uc pseudonym

Postby starfire » Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:38 am

Just finished The Crucible. I'm now wading my way through Simply Einstein:Relativity Demystified. It rocks!!!
http://www.christiananime.net/showthread.php?threadid=27354
My thread. Click the magical link and ye shall be transported to a land of threadiness!

You shall still ph3ar the ninja! ^ ~

God bless and keep you all the days of your life.
starfire

Postby Kaori » Mon Sep 19, 2005 7:36 pm

Sir Gawain and the Green Knight. While this is the third time I have read the work, my appreciation of it has not been decreased by rereading it.

The Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam and Attar's Bird Parliament, translated by Edward FitzGerald. Obscure and somewhat fascinating poetry.

I am part of the way through reading The Virtue of War, by Alexander Webster and Darrell Cole, and have no strong opinions about the book as of yet.
Let others believe in the God who brings men to trial and judges them. I shall cling to the God who resurrects the dead.
-St. Nikolai Velimirovich

MAL
Kaori

Postby Htom Sirveaux » Fri Sep 23, 2005 7:26 pm

Currently reading The Silence of the Lambs. A superbly written psychological thriller. I thought Red Dragon was good, but this one's even better!
If this post seems too utterly absurd or ridiculous to be taken seriously, don't. :)
Htom Sirveaux

Postby uc pseudonym » Sun Sep 25, 2005 5:00 pm

Blue Like Jazz by Donald Miller

This is a book on Christianity for a postmodern (in the best sense of the word) audience. It has the possibility of offending some, but I would recommend it regardless because of the sometimes difficult truths it contains about Christian relations to non-christians. Also, the author is an enjoyable writer and the book isn't heavy reading.
uc pseudonym

Postby Kaori » Sun Sep 25, 2005 10:38 pm

"Rip Van Winkle" and "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow," both by Washington Irving. It had been several years since I last read these stories, so I was pleased to discover the high quality of Irving's prose.

Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass, an American Slave, Written by Himself, and "The Meaning of July Fourth for the Negro." These works speak for themselves, and there is little I can say about them.

I have also been rereading significant portions of Malory's Le Morte D'Arthur. Malory isn't the most literary writer of Arthurian materials, but the book is enjoyable nevertheless.
Let others believe in the God who brings men to trial and judges them. I shall cling to the God who resurrects the dead.

MAL
Kaori

Postby mitsuki lover » Fri Sep 30, 2005 1:55 pm

I have been reading Lies,And The Lying Liars Who Tell Them:A Fair And Balanced
Look by Al Franken.At first I was rather relunctant to read it but he does have
some interesting things to say.The most objectionable was on page 155 when
he talks about the Confederate States.The most amusing is the chapter when
he details his adventures at Bob Jones University(he says they were weird but
nice).
mitsuki lover

Postby uc pseudonym » Sat Oct 01, 2005 9:53 am

I am simultaneously reading Children of Dune (I was advised to skip the second book in the series, and it hasn't hurt my understand so far) and The Two Towers, both for pleasure.
uc pseudonym

Postby Sage_Al-Kahira » Sat Oct 01, 2005 10:08 am

Currently I am reading:
The Giver-Lois Lowry
Gathering Blue-Lois Lowry
Messenger-Lois Lowry
The Historian-Elizabeth Kostova
Tale of the Body Theif-Anne Rice
Eye of the World-Robert Jordan
and,
King's Dragon-Kate Elliott

all for pleasure.
Where is the Remaining Spring?
Where the waters run so swift.
Am I doomed to wonder? Forgotten? Alone?
Within this Mortal drift?

It'd be all like:
"Hey! You want to come over tonight?"
and they'd be all like:
"Sure! Where do you live?"
And we'd be all like:
"You know that Bio-dome out alittle west in the woods?"
And they'd be all like:
"...:shady: Yeah...?"
We'd say:
"There!"
Then they would slowly back away while we are all like:
:P
Sage_Al-Kahira

Postby Kaori » Sat Oct 01, 2005 11:04 am

uc pseudonym wrote:I am simultaneously reading Children of Dune (I was advised to skip the second book in the series, and it hasn't hurt my understand so far) and The Two Towers, both for pleasure.

That's a shame]Dune Messiah[/I] fairly well--particularly the end--and wouldn't have minded if the series had ended there.

I have been reading Tennyson's Idylls of the King, for the second time, some of Tennyson's other poetry, and rereading Book I of Spencer's Faerie Queene. All of this is excellent poetry.

MAL
Kaori

Postby mitsuki lover » Sat Oct 01, 2005 2:30 pm

I was wrong it's page 255 where Franken talks about the CSA and not 155.
mitsuki lover

Postby Technomancer » Sat Oct 01, 2005 10:02 pm

I'm just finishing Hermann Hesse's 'The Glass Bead Game'
The scientific method," Thomas Henry Huxley once wrote, "is nothing but the normal working of the human mind." That is to say, when the mind is working; that is to say further, when it is engaged in corrrecting its mistakes. Taking this point of view, we may conclude that science is not physics, biology, or chemistry—is not even a "subject"—but a moral imperative drawn from a larger narrative whose purpose is to give perspective, balance, and humility to learning.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby Emanku » Sat Oct 01, 2005 10:16 pm

I'm reading The Screwtape Letters by C.S.Lewis.
It really gives me a lot to think about society and the way we think.
I will not waver, doubt or falter for all truth in this world has been written into the book here at my side.
Emanku

Postby LostChild » Sat Oct 01, 2005 10:42 pm

Christopher Paolini's Eldest.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
LostChild

Postby Catapult Turtle » Sun Oct 02, 2005 7:04 am

I'm reading The Golden Ratio by Mario Livio. Very interesting book about phi (not to be confused with pi) for the math literate. Luvin it. In fact, he includes this one quote: "Is God a mathmetician?" and it really does make you wonder if He is. He also has lots of paintings (like Jesus-esque) in there which I really like. I'm up to page 108 in two days, and this book remains interesting.

I read Maximum Ride. Not good. Not original. Didn't stand on it's own. Could barely work out details thanks to the narrative style. Read it in 4 hours flat.

I'm also reading this book called the Switchers. I can't say much about it. I've barely started it.

At the same time I'm reading a story I'm writing, if that counts. I like mine a lot because it fufills my idea of the ideal book ^^

And that, my friends, is what I'm reading.
Catapult Turtle

Postby mitsuki lover » Sun Oct 02, 2005 6:56 pm

I don't know what I will read next.
mitsuki lover

Postby AnubisWerewolf » Mon Oct 03, 2005 10:25 pm

I just finished C.S. Lewis' The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe. Man did that bring back childhood memories!!!
"If at first you don't succeed, redefine success." -Moonbay from Zoids Chaotic Century
AnubisWerewolf

Postby LostChild » Mon Oct 03, 2005 11:08 pm

Are ya gonna go watch the movie?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
LostChild

Postby uc pseudonym » Thu Oct 06, 2005 11:00 am

I continue to read the two previously mentioned titles for pleasure, and I am also reading significant portions of Tolkien: A Cultural Phenomenon by Brian Rosebury. It is an interesting critique of the books focusing on the associated products and also the various movie adaptations.
uc pseudonym

Postby mitsuki lover » Thu Oct 06, 2005 1:40 pm

Plain Speaking by Merle Miller.
mitsuki lover

Postby starfire » Tue Oct 11, 2005 8:29 am

I'm currently reading "The Extraordinary Cases of SHerlock Holmes". Sir Arthur Conan Doyle always provides a classic.

And for a short story, "Cold Equations". It's a story that depicts a disturbing choice, without the choice aspect.
http://www.christiananime.net/showthread.php?threadid=27354
My thread. Click the magical link and ye shall be transported to a land of threadiness!

You shall still ph3ar the ninja! ^ ~

God bless and keep you all the days of your life.
starfire

Postby uc pseudonym » Tue Oct 11, 2005 8:33 am

Ah, yes, I remember reading that long ago. It is certainly an interesting concept.

Meanwhile, I have finally read portions of Westrix Donn as I will be able to speak with the author personally. Also, for a literature class I have read portions of four different books by a number of authors.
uc pseudonym

Postby mitsuki lover » Tue Oct 11, 2005 2:51 pm

I just checked out Batman Child Of Dreams by Kia Asamiya with Max Allen Collins
from the library.The reason why I did is because of the fact that Asamiya created my all time favorite anime series Silent Mobius and if you take a look at the
design for the main Japanese character in the comic,Yuko Yagi,she has a strange
similarity in appearance to Silent Mobius' main heroine Katsumi Liqueur.
mitsuki lover

Postby uc pseudonym » Wed Oct 12, 2005 8:28 am

Way of the Heart by Henri Nouwen

For being considered such a devotional masterpiece, I wasn't terribly impressed. It never really connected to me on a spiritual level, so that left it fairly dry and extremely brief.
uc pseudonym

Postby dragonshimmer » Wed Oct 12, 2005 8:41 am

Wizard and Glass by Stephen King from the Dark Tower Series.
dragonshimmer

Postby Kaori » Fri Oct 14, 2005 7:52 pm

Essays by Emerson, poems by Walt Whitman, and Thoreau's Walden.

The Unfortunate Traveller, by Thomas Nashe. I wouldn't recommend this book to anyone. Its claim to fame, and the reason I am reading it, is that it is one of the first novels written in the English language.

MAL
Kaori

Postby LostChild » Fri Oct 14, 2005 8:45 pm

I didn't like Walden. It just dragged on and on and on and on and on... The ants started to bug me...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
LostChild

Postby Sage_Al-Kahira » Sat Oct 15, 2005 3:17 pm

Faust- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Anne Rice books
Catcher in the Rye- J.D. Salinger, 9 stories- J.D. Salinger
Faerie Wars- Herbie Brennan
The Historian- Elizabeth Kostova
Where is the Remaining Spring?
Where the waters run so swift.
Am I doomed to wonder? Forgotten? Alone?
Within this Mortal drift?

It'd be all like:
"Hey! You want to come over tonight?"
and they'd be all like:
"Sure! Where do you live?"
And we'd be all like:
"You know that Bio-dome out alittle west in the woods?"
And they'd be all like:
"...:shady: Yeah...?"
We'd say:
"There!"
Then they would slowly back away while we are all like:
:P
Sage_Al-Kahira

Postby Technomancer » Wed Oct 19, 2005 9:13 am

"Dark Hero of the Information Age" by Flo Conway and Jim Siegelman. This is a biography of Norbert Wiener, and his role as one of the most important figures in the development of digital and analog communications and the information age in general.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Previous Next

Return to Book Corner