Kare Kano - I'm impressed

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

Kare Kano - I'm impressed

Postby Hitokiri » Wed Sep 14, 2005 8:36 am

Wow...I just picked up Kare Kano and I am thinking this is another series I might like.

I must say I am impressed with it. I am starting to get into romantic comedy and this one is right up that alley. I can't wait to pick up the other books.
Hitokiri

Postby Lynx » Wed Sep 14, 2005 10:03 pm

i am a total kare kano fangirl!!! i love it so much... it's my favorite manga series. i've read up to volume 16. Tsuda started the arima arc around volume 13 i think, and that is by far my favorite. i cant wait to get my hands on a copy of 17!! *evil plotting to get to my local bookstore*
In my heart's sequestered chambers
Lie truths stripped of poet's gloss...
Lynx

Postby Ashley » Wed Sep 14, 2005 10:24 pm

I was interested in this, until I heard about the little hanky-panky that occurs later on.
Ashley

Postby Mangafanatic » Thu Sep 15, 2005 5:36 am

Ashley wrote:I was interested in this, until I heard about the little hanky-panky that occurs later on.

I know. :waah!: *Mourns the unfortunate [spoiler] pre-marital sex between teenagers.[/spoiler]
Every year in Uganda, innumerable children simply. . . disappear. These children all stolen under the cover of darkness from their homes and impressed into the guerilla armies of the LRA [Lord's Resistance Army]. In the deserts of Uganda, they are forced to witness the mindless slaughter of other children until they themselves can do nothing but kill. Kill. These children, generally ranging from ages 5-12, are brainwashed into murdering in the name of the resistance and into stealing other children from their beds to suffer the same fate.

Because of this genocide of innocence, hundred and hundreds of children live every night sleeping in public places miles from their homes, because they know that if the do not-- they will disappear. They will become just another number in this genocide to which the international community has chosen to turn a blind eye. They will become, in affect, invisible-- Invisible Children.

But there are those who are trying to fight against this slaughter of Uganda's children. They fight to protect these "invisible children." Please, help them help a country full of children who know nothing by fear. Help save the innocence. For more information concerning how you can help and how you can get an incredible video about this horrific reality, visit the Invisible Children home page.
Mangafanatic

Postby yukinon » Thu Sep 15, 2005 6:01 am

You're only reading the manga?! In my opinion, the anime is a million times better, and if you wish, you can completely skip the questionable episode. Nothing particularly important happens in it regarding plot or character development, and it is barely referenced afterwards.

[spoiler]Did anyone else notice that their relationship almost seemed to decline after that?[/spoiler]

The manga also gets kind of weird later on, I believe, especially regarding Tsubasa and Kazuma.
9&&|(=|()v&
yukinon

Postby Hitokiri » Thu Sep 15, 2005 9:30 am

Eh?

Hanky-panky?

-_-;;;
Hitokiri

Postby Tarnish » Thu Sep 15, 2005 12:04 pm

As far as I've heard, it's no worse than what was in EVA, which you seem to be a fan of. You may want to take someone elses word for it though, I've only read a little of the first volume.
i draw things

Ponies are for ages six and under.
Tarnish

Postby Mave » Thu Sep 15, 2005 2:39 pm

Knowing you personally Hitokiri, I wouldn't worry too much about that bit of hanky-panky. If you wish to, you could skip that episode altogether since IMO, the best parts of this series were right before that particular incident. Episodes after that, just don't make too much sense or stir the same level of interest. For me, it kinda went downhill from them onwards.

Overall, Kare Kano anime was highly entertaining (and funny!) in the beginning and for the most part. I would agree with you, I was pretty impressed by this title and had lotsa fun with this title. It has its downsides too but that's really up to you to make that choice.

EDIT: Oh fudge....I just realized I was talking about the anime, not the manga. So sorry!! Eh...if the manga matches the anime storyline-wise, it's most likely that my opinion will remain the same. ^__^;;
Mave

Postby Hitokiri » Thu Sep 15, 2005 6:57 pm

So is thier hanky-panky (a new word for me to extort!!) in the manga?

Sadly, but kinda fortunately (meaning it doesnt affect me in any way) I am used to a little hanky-panky in manga/anime.

One thing that drew me to the manga is how .... shoot i forgot thier names. Main girl and guy character ahve thier own issues and thier own struggles yet they find commrodery with eachother. Now is it just me but when I look at this thread, I am the only guy who has posted. :lol: Is Kare Kano a series appreciated among the female gender?
Hitokiri

Postby Tarnish » Thu Sep 15, 2005 7:04 pm

Yeah, it's in the manga, too.

Now is it just me but when I look at this thread, I am the only guy who has posted.

'Tis the price to pay for enjoying Shojo manga, my good man.
i draw things

Ponies are for ages six and under.
Tarnish

Postby Hitokiri » Thu Sep 15, 2005 7:18 pm

Well...whatcha going do?

Wether if it's directed towards girls or not, I still do like it.
Hitokiri

Postby yukinon » Thu Sep 15, 2005 7:56 pm

Good for you! My guy friend isn't exactly a huge fan, but he loves to watch it with me for the comedy. And because....Yukino is a bit like me (minus the major whining), as you may be able to tell, heh.
9&&|(=|()v&
yukinon

Postby Lynx » Mon Sep 19, 2005 9:36 am

well guys, i picked up a copy of kare kano 17 saturday. it was really good! i'm really liking the arima arc that she's doing now... the manga kinda has a cliffhanger ending, i can't wait to see where tsuda goes with this!
Lynx

Postby plutogrl03 » Tue Sep 20, 2005 6:53 am

I've been thinking about collecting Kare Kano for a while. I own the anime series and was a little disappointed with the way it ended. I know a big reason for that is because the manga series was still going. It's not high on the list right now but I might start buying the series someday.
Sometimes you just need to bang your head against a wall. :bang:

Member of the Official CAA DDR Song Club
plutogrl03

Postby yukinon » Tue Sep 20, 2005 10:20 am

I still think it was a cop-out. If they were going to end the anime there, they could have found a better way to wrap it up. The last few episodes didn't even focus on Arima and Yukino. I hear it was also due to a change in director/producer or something.
9&&|(=|()v&
yukinon

Postby That Dude » Wed Sep 21, 2005 10:07 am

Does the manga have as much review material as the anime? I swear every fourth episode or so was a review episode. I like it though.
I am convinced that many men who preach the gospel and love the Lord are really misunderstood. People make a “profession,â€
That Dude

Postby Lynx » Wed Sep 21, 2005 10:23 pm

to address what yukinon and that dude said, the problem was the manga wasnt being written fast enough to keep up with where they were in the anime so basically they ran out of material so... review episodes! the manga kinda has distinct sections, it has a section about yukino, then side stories about the other relationships, and after she wraps that up she focuses on arima. the reason for the weird ending is that was the ending of one of the volumes of manga (volume 8 i think) and that was when tsuda was just starting to address the side stories. the story goes back to solely focusing on the main characters in volume 13. anyways, tsuda just finished the series in japan (21 volumes). there are currently 17 out in the US. (yes i'm a total kare kano fangirl ^_^)
Lynx

Postby That Dude » Thu Sep 22, 2005 12:34 pm

Hmnmm. That explains quite a bit.
I am convinced that many men who preach the gospel and love the Lord are really misunderstood. People make a “profession,â€
That Dude

Postby Hitokiri » Thu Sep 29, 2005 7:04 pm

Got number 2 and that really addicted me to it.
Hitokiri

Postby Kisa » Mon Oct 03, 2005 5:59 am

Awww man! I saw this in the store and was thinking about getting it, but now I won't! I hate it when they add that into a story >< *pouts*
Romans 12:2
Kisa

Postby Hitokiri » Thu Dec 29, 2005 3:03 pm

I hate grave-digging but when I know I already made a thread concerning - I don't want to make a new one.

I am up to book 15 - so I guess you can say I am deep into this haha.

[spoiler]It get's so depressing in book 15 though with Arima finding stuff about his childhood and his mother who beat him near to death and him trying to distance himself from Yukino to not hurt her. Defiently when he cuts his hand and Yukino finds out and she huts hers on glass.[/spoiler]

I hope this series ends on a happy note :x
Hitokiri

Postby yukinon » Fri Dec 30, 2005 5:53 am

oi. sounds....interesting.

The relationship between Kazuma and Tsubasa weirded me out, so I stopped reading the manga.
9&&|(=|()v&
yukinon

Postby Hitokiri » Fri Dec 30, 2005 9:13 am

yukinon wrote:oi. sounds....interesting.

The relationship between Kazuma and Tsubasa weirded me out, so I stopped reading the manga.

Yeah it kinda wierded me out but didn't bother me to stop reading the manga. I am letting my sister read this since she loves romance but I do have her skip some of the iffy parts (like in book 6).
Hitokiri

Postby That Dude » Sat Dec 31, 2005 12:28 pm

It does lighten up some Hitokiri...I'm not sure but I think that it ends on a happy note.
That Dude

Postby Saint Kevin » Tue Jan 03, 2006 2:02 am

I've seen the first seven or eight episodes of the anime. I have to say, I like it a LOT (so far). I thought the english voice actors did a fantastic job on the dub for this especially.

I don't read manga, sorry (too expensive of a habit to maintain), so I can't comment on that. To be perfectly honest, entertaining a manga habit can be as expensive as some forms of recreational drug use. For that reason, I will probably never read manga. Unless they come out with the unabriged-dictionary-sized compilation version that has every volume of a series. Maybe then and only then will I buy manga (I hate to start a series and not finish it, or to skip episodes).
Our lives are but a vapor, let us not let waste our time and breath on vanities, but let us spend ourselves for the Kingdom, seeking a better resurrection.

Preaching the Bad News

My Live Journal
Saint Kevin

Postby yukinon » Tue Jan 03, 2006 5:59 am

You just have to be interested in series that are short. Like Saint Tail and Clover. :P

I loved the anime, thus my screen name.
9&&|(=|()v&
yukinon

Postby Lynx » Wed Jan 04, 2006 7:45 pm

vol 18 came out last month. any of you read it yet or am i the only one?
Lynx

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews