Why do you read mangas?

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

Why do you read mangas?

Postby ~Natsumi Lam~ » Mon Aug 22, 2005 9:03 pm

Do you read them for the story line.... the drawings or both?

Me, I choose mangas for the drawings [80%] and the story line [20%]. Thats how i choose what anime series i will watch.

~Natsumi Lam~
my new little sis: Eriana :) an awsome woman in Christ!!

- "For we fight not against flesh and blood" -

<~~~Eph.6:12-18~~~>

~Natsumi Lam~

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Mon Aug 22, 2005 9:06 pm

For manga its about the art style and how easily the message is visually conveyed. I read manga (not that I've read much of it) mostly for the art, but a good storyline is essential also to my enjoyment of it.
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby Syaoran » Mon Aug 22, 2005 9:21 pm

I read mangas because I finded them realy neat
Syaoran

Postby Yokuo » Mon Aug 22, 2005 9:22 pm

Mangas are the true storyline, whereas anime has filler and stuff.

Don't get me wrong, I love the good 'ol anime!
If you ever need someone to talk to, or to pray for you, or to disciple you, please don't hesitate to PM me.

Wow... I haven't been on here in like 2 years o_O

@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.
My rose is silver, instead of red!
Yokuo

Postby Eriana » Mon Aug 22, 2005 10:01 pm

I love manga! I own a lot of it, currently I have vol.9 for Rurouni kenshin and I have other manga but I enjoy reading them so much! When I'm reading it, it seems to come alive in a way. I was born a reader though. Can't really help it. I love to read, be active and watch anime. Those are my biggest interests.
Eriana

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:15 am

I read manga because I'm bored :lol:
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby Syaoran » Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:29 am

You are funny MSP......I like to read them when I need a good read
Syaoran

Postby yukinon » Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:30 am

I read it mainly for the storyline. Pretty pretty :drool: art is a plus, and obviously art has a lot to do with conveying the storyline. (For example, you can have an awesome storyline but not be able to convey it properly. So it doesn't matter how cool your concept is if you can't communicate it.) Like the Trigun manga, which I'm sure is awesome. But trying to follow it gives me a headache so I don't read it.

On the other hand, (both of these are anime, but the principle is the same) a great story can often overcome any shortcomings of the art. Robotech and Trigun are two series I love, and the art in Robotech=lame, while-though I'm sure I'll get jumped for this-I really don't like the Trigun style. It is the weirdness, and most villians are designed in a lame sort of way.

So yeah.
9&&|(=|()v&
yukinon

Postby bigsleepj » Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:41 am

(1) Good art that must fit the story
(2) Good story that must compliment the art
(3) Interesting characters (they don't have to be deep - just interesting)
(4) Not too pessimistic a philosophy. :)
bigsleepj

Postby agasfas » Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:49 am

To be honest, I've bought about 3 mangas in the past and have only read one of them. I guess I'm more into anime then manga. Though, I did buy a sports manga a few weeks ago, perhaps I should give that a try. :P
"A merry heart doeth good like a medicine.." Prov 17:22

The word 'impossible' isn't in my dictionary... but I don't really have a dictionary you know? - Eikichi Onizuka.
Sorry, but I stop being a teacher at 5 o'clock. - Eikichi Onizuka.
agasfas

Postby Chocobo777 » Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:51 am

I just like the the art. And the story. I've read a few. Tsubasa is a good one.
(\_/)

(O.o) Copy The Bunny Into Your Sig

(> <) Help Him Achieve World Domination...

[color=black]

Adopted by:

1BalloonPopper

Adopted:

1BalloonPopper

Now I'm the adoptee and adopter of the same person! Yayyy!

@)}~`,~ Thank-you Mods and Administrators!

Isaiah 40:28-31

Do you not know? Have you not heard? The Lord is the everlasting God. The Creator of the ends of the earth. He will not grow tired or weary, and his understanding no one can fathom. He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak. Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; But those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; They will run and not grow weary, They will walk and not be faint

[/color]
Chocobo777

Postby Ichigo_89 » Tue Aug 23, 2005 11:22 am

It must have really detailed art or really stylized art for me to buy. Same with anime unless it just does it all right in every aspect (say, Cowboy Bebop for instance)
Ichigo_89

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Tue Aug 23, 2005 11:24 am

Better art and it's cheaper tha the anime counterparts most of the time. Maybe they even count as chapter books. XD
Shao Feng-Li

Postby Yumie » Tue Aug 23, 2005 11:37 am

For me, a manga has to have both good art and a good storyline. If it has one and not the other it's worthless. But I find that it's not all too hard to find series that fit my criteria, so it's all good! :thumb:
Yumie

Postby Kura Ookami » Tue Aug 23, 2005 12:32 pm

Yokuo wrote:Mangas are the true storyline, whereas anime has filler and stuff.

Don't get me wrong, I love the good 'ol anime!

Try shorter anime series for ones with no filler. 12 or 13 episode series never have filler. :thumb:

As for me i prfer anime, but the art is important so is the story in mangas. I read manga because it's different to anime and i love reading. :)
Absence is to love as wind is to a flame. It extinguishes the little, it ignites the great.

Life is a test. It is only a test. Had this been real life you would have have been instructed where to go and what to do.

When i argue with reality I lose.....But only 100% of the time.

Once you've decided on a course of action, only you can finish it. As long as you remember that, there's nothing you can't accomplish.
Kura Ookami

Postby PrincessZelda » Tue Aug 23, 2005 1:02 pm

It's about 50/50 for me.
"If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats."

PrincessZelda

Postby Debitt » Tue Aug 23, 2005 1:18 pm

...I read manga because that's what Sakura Kinoshita draws. :grin:

Actually I'm probably abount 60% art and 40% plot with my manga - I really don't mind episodic series as long as the characters are interesting.

[SIZE="5"](*゚∀゚)アハア八アッ八ッノヽ~☆[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]DEBS: Fan of that manga where the kid's head is on fire.[/SIZE]
Debitt

Postby Myoti » Tue Aug 23, 2005 3:35 pm

I don't have access to alot of anime yet, so manga is easier and cheaper for me. Plus, I get to make my own voices. Whee! :grin:
Myoti

Postby kazekami » Tue Aug 23, 2005 3:40 pm

If it doesn' have a good story I don't like it. Art is secondary. Though I do prefer pretty art over not so pretty. But for me the story is the most important.
Meow!

adopted by spirit-me-away and CephasVII

proud adopter of:
Azier the Swordsman, Sakura's Wings(kitty form), Sora(kingdom Hearts), Squall Leonhart(FFVIII and KH), Li Syaoran(Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles),
kurogane (Tsubasa Resevoir Chronicles) blessedsolitude, Animagus24, scarletfire818, LeaChan-4ever, teen4truth, Starfire1, Kura Ookami, 1BalloonPopper, Sheenar, Dunedan, Fantasy Dreamer, starfire, zelda, Erin

I like swords. They are nice and shiny and sharp. :jump:

I Love
^__^
( ^.^)
(\/ \/)
(,,)(,,)

T3h Neko
KITTIES WILL RULE THE UNIVERSE!!!!
kazekami

Postby The Last Bard » Tue Aug 23, 2005 3:55 pm

I feel the same way as you Natsumie Lam. I guess that's why I haven't picked up FLCL yet...I'm going to though as soon as I complete the series I'm reading right now.
The Last Bard

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Tue Aug 23, 2005 7:47 pm

im like 85% plot and 15% art ^^;;
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby Kisa » Wed Aug 24, 2005 6:23 am

I read them because the stories are deeper and the art is gorgeous and you can read a manga over and over easier than watching an anime over and over ^_^
Romans 12:2
Kisa

Postby Kaligraphic » Wed Aug 24, 2005 8:51 pm

I read manga because drinking it is silly.
The cake used to be a lie like you, but then it took a portal to the deception core.
Kaligraphic

Postby rii namuras » Sat Sep 10, 2005 5:54 pm

(I'll never even pick it up if I don't like the art. But I won't continue to read it if I don't like the story. I come for the art, stay for the story (and ::ahem:: the art :sweat: ).)
rii namuras

Postby inkhana » Sat Sep 10, 2005 9:24 pm

To me, book (novel or manga) form is almost always better than animated/movie form. I dunno why it is. I own a lot more manga than anime, but that's mostly because cost is prohibitive. Story is so many times more important for me than art (I've learned of late that some of the most beautiful art is attached to trashy content)...I've read quite a few manga with what I would consider poorly done art but great stories. On another note, with manga, you can stop and just stare at a well-done page going "wow, that looks nice..." I guess you can do that with anime, too, but it's just not as fun somehow :/

BOOSTER: Hey, No.1! Where's my cake?!
SNIFIT 1: Booster, Sir! There's a 70% chance the object you're standing on is a cake.
BOOSTER: What? THIS thing's a cake?

You have the power to say anything you want, so why not say something positive?
- Frank Capra

(in response to an interview question "Do you have a pet peeve having to do with this biz?")
People who write below their abilities in order to crank out tons of books and make a buck. Especially Christian authors who do that. Outsiders judge us for it, and make fun of us for it, and it makes Jesus look bad. We of all artists on earth should be the most concerned with doing our best possible work at all times. We of all people should write with all our hearts, as if writing for the Lord and not for men.
- Athol Dickson

Avatar by scarlethibiscus from LJ.
inkhana

Postby Icarus » Wed Sep 14, 2005 12:57 pm

It's more story than art with me. If I don't like the art, I might (but probably won't) keep reading the series, but if I don't like the story, it doesn't have a chance.
The Forsworn War of 34

††
Icarus

Postby Qwilek88 » Tue Oct 04, 2005 6:28 pm

Both storyline and the art! Awesomeness! Plus, my family won't ever let me watch anime so that is the only thing I can get my hands on. Oh well.
Qwilek88

Postby Radical Dreamer » Tue Oct 04, 2005 7:07 pm

Hmmm...As far as I'm concerned, I find manga SO much more enjoyable if the artwork is really good. I find it kind of difficult to read manga that have scratchy art and that kind of thing. But I won't read a manga unless the storyline is really good, either. I guess it's kinda 50/50 for me! XD Another factor that comes into this is dialogue. I will read a manga if it has choppy dialogue, but those are so much more difficult to read, and not as enjoyable, either. And then of course, I won't read a series at all if I don't deem it to be clean enough, hehe. So I guess it's all broken down in to 4 parts...50% content, 20% art, 20% story, and 10% dialogue. n.n
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby CDLviking » Tue Oct 04, 2005 7:16 pm

I buy it almost exclusively for the story, and exclusively for anime that I've already seen. If an anime's plot has holes in it I want filled (Trigun), or I'm not satisfied with the ending (Ranma), I check out the original manga to get the whole and original take on it and complete the picture.
CDLviking

Postby yukinon » Wed Oct 05, 2005 1:11 pm

Way to be discerning, Kaoru! Cookies for you!
9&&|(=|()v&
yukinon

Next

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews