Yotsuba&! vol. 2

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

Postby termyt » Wed Aug 24, 2005 9:45 am

I think the Japanese language version would still come first since it would likely be made in Japan by a Japanese studio. ADV's up front investment would just guarantee their rights to release it over here.
[color="Red"]Please visit Love146.org[/color]
A member of the Society of Hatted Members
If your pedantic about grammar, its unlikely that you'll copy and paste this into your sig, to.
termyt

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Thu Sep 01, 2005 3:02 pm

YES! I can't join the club now! Yotsubato is "irresistible."
Shao Feng-Li

Postby plutogrl03 » Thu Sep 01, 2005 3:17 pm

I bought the first two volumes of Yotsuba&! on a whim last month and I'm so glad I did. One of my favorite dialogues in the series is between Yotsuba and her father:

[spoiler]"I am Boxerman!"

"Boxerman! We meet again!"

"Which way is up? Which way is down? I do not know!"

"Curse you Boxerman!"[/spoiler]

It cracks me up every time! :lol:
Sometimes you just need to bang your head against a wall. :bang:

Member of the Official CAA DDR Song Club
plutogrl03

Postby Kisa » Fri Sep 02, 2005 6:40 am

I flipped though it in walden's, is it any good? it looks hilarious, but what is it about?
Romans 12:2
Kisa

Postby termyt » Fri Sep 02, 2005 10:35 am

It is hilarious, Kisa. No worries. You'll fall in love with Yotsuba instantly.
If your pedantic about grammar, its unlikely that you'll copy and paste this into your sig, to.
termyt

Postby Mangafanatic » Fri Sep 02, 2005 3:11 pm

What's it about? Um, it's about a crazy little girl and her hillarious antics. (A.k.a, there isn't really a plot. :lol: )

But you must by it, Twinsey-chan. I like it, erego, you will too.
Every year in Uganda, innumerable children simply. . . disappear. These children all stolen under the cover of darkness from their homes and impressed into the guerilla armies of the LRA [Lord's Resistance Army]. In the deserts of Uganda, they are forced to witness the mindless slaughter of other children until they themselves can do nothing but kill. Kill. These children, generally ranging from ages 5-12, are brainwashed into murdering in the name of the resistance and into stealing other children from their beds to suffer the same fate.

Because of this genocide of innocence, hundred and hundreds of children live every night sleeping in public places miles from their homes, because they know that if the do not-- they will disappear. They will become just another number in this genocide to which the international community has chosen to turn a blind eye. They will become, in affect, invisible-- Invisible Children.

But there are those who are trying to fight against this slaughter of Uganda's children. They fight to protect these "invisible children." Please, help them help a country full of children who know nothing by fear. Help save the innocence. For more information concerning how you can help and how you can get an incredible video about this horrific reality, visit the Invisible Children home page.
Mangafanatic

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Fri Sep 02, 2005 6:17 pm

The best chapter was "Revenge." I love the picture of her on the chapter title page.
Shao Feng-Li

Postby Mangafanatic » Fri Sep 02, 2005 8:39 pm

Shao Feng-Li wrote:The best chapter was "Revenge." I love the picture of her on the chapter title page.

I KNOW!!! It was so mofia-esque! :lol:
Every year in Uganda, innumerable children simply. . . disappear. These children all stolen under the cover of darkness from their homes and impressed into the guerilla armies of the LRA [Lord's Resistance Army]. In the deserts of Uganda, they are forced to witness the mindless slaughter of other children until they themselves can do nothing but kill. Kill. These children, generally ranging from ages 5-12, are brainwashed into murdering in the name of the resistance and into stealing other children from their beds to suffer the same fate.

Because of this genocide of innocence, hundred and hundreds of children live every night sleeping in public places miles from their homes, because they know that if the do not-- they will disappear. They will become just another number in this genocide to which the international community has chosen to turn a blind eye. They will become, in affect, invisible-- Invisible Children.

But there are those who are trying to fight against this slaughter of Uganda's children. They fight to protect these "invisible children." Please, help them help a country full of children who know nothing by fear. Help save the innocence. For more information concerning how you can help and how you can get an incredible video about this horrific reality, visit the Invisible Children home page.
Mangafanatic

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Fri Sep 02, 2005 8:52 pm

And we all know how cool the Mafia is for a bunch of bad guys. XD
Shao Feng-Li

Postby Arnobius » Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:24 pm

Actually it was yakuza-esque... and it totally spoofed the movies from Japan with the cover.
Arnobius

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Sun Sep 04, 2005 2:06 pm

Yakuza?
Shao Feng-Li

Postby termyt » Mon Sep 05, 2005 6:27 pm

Japanese mafia. They've copied a lot of their style of the US mafia of the twenties, though. So same difference.
termyt

Postby Arnobius » Mon Sep 05, 2005 7:17 pm

termyt wrote:Japanese mafia. They've copied a lot of their style of the US mafia of the twenties, though. So same difference.

Well, they've been around since samurai times. Dave Berry once described them as being as subtle as the Super Bowl.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yakuza
Arnobius

Postby termyt » Tue Sep 06, 2005 7:49 am

AnimeHeretic wrote:Well, they've been around since samurai times. Dave Berry once described them as being as subtle as the Super Bowl.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yakuza

That's true. They tend to be, well I don't want to say accepted. Perhaps tolerated? As if they are inevitable and it's just better to leave them alone then try to stop them.

Unless, like me, you live or work in Youngstown, Ohio, where mafia connections are assumed instead of hidden.
termyt

Postby Kisa » Thu Sep 08, 2005 9:05 am

Mangafanatic wrote:What's it about? Um, it's about a crazy little girl and her hillarious antics. (A.k.a, there isn't really a plot. :lol: )

But you must by it, Twinsey-chan. I like it, erego, you will too.

OK I have the go ahead from my twin, so its gotta be good ^_^
The girl looks so cute like a doll so thats why I was curious ^^
Kisa

Postby martinloyola » Thu Sep 08, 2005 10:17 pm

wow, anything that can make me laugh like that is going on my "to buy" list
Vash: In the end...he just couldn't kill a man in cold blood. His daughter's murder goes unpunished. Call him weak, but...it saved both of us.

want to tell your fantasy or science fiction story and need help, try here :cool:

Headbangers United :rock:
martinloyola

Postby Kisa » Mon Sep 19, 2005 5:57 am

I finally got vol 1 and it is HILARIOUS!
Also, lil question... is it pronounced Yotsuba or Yotsuba-and?
Confused here... lol. or maybe thats the point ^^
Kisa

Postby termyt » Mon Sep 19, 2005 6:22 am

The girl's name is Yotsuba, the name of the manga is a play on her name.

In Japanese, the title is yotsubato - the main character's name + "to" which means and in Japanese. That's why it was translated as Yotsuba& for the English version. It makes pretty good sense when you read the titles of the manga sections. "Yotsuba and Spring" and Yotsuba and Moving" and so one.
termyt

Postby soul alive » Mon Sep 19, 2005 11:36 am

volume 3 is set to come out on the 3rd of october. yeah! i can't wait for it. i love their style of humor... anything that can make me fall over crying from laughter rates pretty darn high in my book.
-Sara-

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

A Cruce Salus, a webmanga. --- Status: Undergoing rewrites, currently offline

soul-alive.deviantart.com

"People say I'm strange, does it make me a stranger / That my best friend was born in a manger?" 'Jesus Freak' - dc Talk
soul alive

Postby Kisa » Tue Sep 20, 2005 4:41 am

I finally finished it! LOL I saw the thing about her name at the end.. makes sense, kinda, lol
She is sooo cute and clueless! I love it ^^
The relationship with her dad is also so funny.
Kisa

Previous

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews