Ceres: Celestial Legends.. is it as bad as I hear?

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

Postby Godly Paladin » Tue Sep 06, 2005 3:22 pm

Might want to lock this, then. ;)
ImageImage
Godly Paladin

Postby Mangafanatic » Tue Sep 06, 2005 7:07 pm

Godly Paladin wrote:Maybe it has a good story, Mangafanatic, but there are so many mangas out there that you might as well be picky. Ceres has a good underlying story, possibly, but there are hundreds of other mangas with great stories and less content, so why compromise your standards?

I wasn't suggesting that I would or did. I was just saying there were probably interesting elements. Unfortunately, those elements have been spoiled by Ms. Watase's fixation with the taboo. Forgive me if my statement was fuzzy and caused confusion.
Every year in Uganda, innumerable children simply. . . disappear. These children all stolen under the cover of darkness from their homes and impressed into the guerilla armies of the LRA [Lord's Resistance Army]. In the deserts of Uganda, they are forced to witness the mindless slaughter of other children until they themselves can do nothing but kill. Kill. These children, generally ranging from ages 5-12, are brainwashed into murdering in the name of the resistance and into stealing other children from their beds to suffer the same fate.

Because of this genocide of innocence, hundred and hundreds of children live every night sleeping in public places miles from their homes, because they know that if the do not-- they will disappear. They will become just another number in this genocide to which the international community has chosen to turn a blind eye. They will become, in affect, invisible-- Invisible Children.

But there are those who are trying to fight against this slaughter of Uganda's children. They fight to protect these "invisible children." Please, help them help a country full of children who know nothing by fear. Help save the innocence. For more information concerning how you can help and how you can get an incredible video about this horrific reality, visit the Invisible Children home page.
Mangafanatic

Postby Kisa » Wed Sep 07, 2005 6:14 am

It is a good story, but there is some stuff in it that you should stay away from. If it bothers you or you think it will affect your faith, stay away, if you can handle it, go for it....
All of Watase manga should carry a warning though.....
Romans 12:2
Kisa

Postby inkhana » Wed Sep 07, 2005 11:58 am

It is a good story, but there is some stuff in it that you should stay away from. If it bothers you or you think it will affect your faith, stay away, if you can handle it, go for it....
All of Watase manga should carry a warning though.....

So sadly true ;__; (at least for the most part, disregarding stuff like Imadoki)

I find it depressing that the story was so good but laced with problems like the sex scenes. I read it all the way through but was left with a bit of an icky feeling (and I'm a grown woman). Watase has so much raw talent and really needs prayer to at least put out some stuff that's more palatable, so to speak.

BOOSTER: Hey, No.1! Where's my cake?!
SNIFIT 1: Booster, Sir! There's a 70% chance the object you're standing on is a cake.
BOOSTER: What? THIS thing's a cake?

You have the power to say anything you want, so why not say something positive?
- Frank Capra

(in response to an interview question "Do you have a pet peeve having to do with this biz?")
People who write below their abilities in order to crank out tons of books and make a buck. Especially Christian authors who do that. Outsiders judge us for it, and make fun of us for it, and it makes Jesus look bad. We of all artists on earth should be the most concerned with doing our best possible work at all times. We of all people should write with all our hearts, as if writing for the Lord and not for men.
- Athol Dickson

Avatar by scarlethibiscus from LJ.
inkhana

Postby kazekami » Wed Sep 07, 2005 12:17 pm

inkhana wrote:So sadly true ]really needs prayer[/i] to at least put out some stuff that's more palatable, so to speak.

I felt the same way. The story was awsome. I read the whole thing as well. But I could have done without the sex scenes. Watase's short stories are awsome and I haven't seen one with sex in it. They are all pretty cool. Though there is the creepy one with the evil flower that creeps me out. But no sex. I like that much better.
Meow!

adopted by spirit-me-away and CephasVII

proud adopter of:
Azier the Swordsman, Sakura's Wings(kitty form), Sora(kingdom Hearts), Squall Leonhart(FFVIII and KH), Li Syaoran(Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles),
kurogane (Tsubasa Resevoir Chronicles) blessedsolitude, Animagus24, scarletfire818, LeaChan-4ever, teen4truth, Starfire1, Kura Ookami, 1BalloonPopper, Sheenar, Dunedan, Fantasy Dreamer, starfire, zelda, Erin

I like swords. They are nice and shiny and sharp. :jump:

I Love
^__^
( ^.^)
(\/ \/)
(,,)(,,)

T3h Neko
KITTIES WILL RULE THE UNIVERSE!!!!
kazekami

Postby Kisa » Thu Sep 08, 2005 9:03 am

Yea Watase has such skill and talent but if she could only stay away fromthe sex scenes. I love her short stories too and only her longer series get the bad stuff. I guess just don't giver her too long of a story or idea so she has time to play with it, lol.
Kisa

Postby kazekami » Thu Sep 08, 2005 9:35 am

heh heh. It seems like that is so true.
Meow!

proud adopter of:
Azier the Swordsman, Sakura's Wings(kitty form), Sora(kingdom Hearts), Squall Leonhart(FFVIII and KH), Li Syaoran(Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles),
kurogane (Tsubasa Resevoir Chronicles) blessedsolitude, Animagus24, scarletfire818, LeaChan-4ever, teen4truth, Starfire1, Kura Ookami, 1BalloonPopper, Sheenar, Dunedan, Fantasy Dreamer, starfire, zelda, Erin

I Love
^__^
( ^.^)
(\/ \/)
(,,)(,,)

T3h Neko
kazekami

Postby blue elf » Thu Sep 08, 2005 10:42 am

I've read up through vol. 5 and it does have more objectionable stuff than most of her other series...I still kind of like it though. While, it's not a favorite, must-buy series of mine at the moment, I still find the story interesting. I agree with the other people that recommended Imadoki or Alice 19th though...especially Imadoki. I love, love, love Imadoki! ^^
BlueElf
blue elf

Postby kazekami » Thu Sep 08, 2005 10:48 am

Imadoki is really sweet. I wish they would bring over her short stories. I have a hard time reading them myself. Since i'm not at that high a level in my Japanese. And the amount of words on the pages is intimidateing. But the stories are really cute. For the most part. heh. I don't think killer flowers are cute. Mint de Kiss Me is pretty cute. And the one with the magic locket. No sex and its fun. =)
Meow!

proud adopter of:

I Love
^__^
( ^.^)
(\/ \/)
(,,)(,,)

T3h Neko
kazekami

Postby Heart of Sword » Mon Sep 12, 2005 6:40 pm

Graphic Sex scenes? O_o *eyes bag of Ceres manga in the corner* eep... is there a way to skip over those scenes and not miss anything?

Yeah, give 'em to a friend talented with using White-Out who doesn't mind seeing disgusting stuff. Then tell said friend to edit the manga for you. *shrugs* You can do that if you love it enough, I guess.
Heart of Sword's Rhapsody

Money, get away
Get a good job with good pay and you're okay
And all and all you're just another brick in the wall
Shoutin’ in the street gonna take on the world some day
But Bismallah will not let me go
Because I'll see you on the dark side of the moon

Tommy used to work on the docks
Union's been on strike
Bright eyes burning like fire
And exposing every weakness
However carefully hidden by the kids

Who will love a little Sparrow
Who's traveled far and cries for rest
Spare him his life from this monstrosity

I've seen a million faces and I've rocked them all
And if the band youre in starts playing different tunes
We will we will rock you
We will we will rock you!

[Pink Floyd fan listening to Queen and hugging trees which is also known as taking care of God's creation with a pair of headphones on listening to Nightwish as loud as possible while writing a novel on a computer in the middle of a field filled with Wolves.]

[Bassist...finally learning Money]
Heart of Sword

Postby Mangafanatic » Mon Sep 12, 2005 7:51 pm

Heart of Sword wrote:Yeah, give 'em to a friend talented with using White-Out who doesn't mind seeing disgusting stuff. Then tell said friend to edit the manga for you. *shrugs* You can do that if you love it enough, I guess.

Or the friend who owns the books could just tear the pages out. That would probably be better than a few pages covered in white out. :lol:
Every year in Uganda, innumerable children simply. . . disappear. These children all stolen under the cover of darkness from their homes and impressed into the guerilla armies of the LRA [Lord's Resistance Army]. In the deserts of Uganda, they are forced to witness the mindless slaughter of other children until they themselves can do nothing but kill. Kill. These children, generally ranging from ages 5-12, are brainwashed into murdering in the name of the resistance and into stealing other children from their beds to suffer the same fate.

Because of this genocide of innocence, hundred and hundreds of children live every night sleeping in public places miles from their homes, because they know that if the do not-- they will disappear. They will become just another number in this genocide to which the international community has chosen to turn a blind eye. They will become, in affect, invisible-- Invisible Children.

But there are those who are trying to fight against this slaughter of Uganda's children. They fight to protect these "invisible children." Please, help them help a country full of children who know nothing by fear. Help save the innocence. For more information concerning how you can help and how you can get an incredible video about this horrific reality, visit the Invisible Children home page.
Mangafanatic

Postby Kisa » Fri Sep 16, 2005 6:11 am

never thought of white out..... i just pen it all, lol
Kisa

Postby ReiRei » Wed Sep 21, 2005 7:16 pm

hmm...I never read the manga but I seen the anime...I really like the anime..but I guess if you want to read her work, read Fushgi Yugi instead
ReiRei

Postby Kisa » Fri Sep 23, 2005 4:41 am

Yea the anime is way tame compared to the manga... Fushigi Yugi is relativeley clean tho ^^ I like it
Kisa

Previous

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews