Ceres: Celestial Legends.. is it as bad as I hear?

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

Ceres: Celestial Legends.. is it as bad as I hear?

Postby ChristianKitsune » Sun Sep 04, 2005 12:45 pm

Ok, so I am borrowing this series from a Friend.. She wants me to read them..and I kind of want to..but I am scared about reading too much of it because of some content I have heard about....

Can someone help me out as to give me a rough estimation as to hwere these scenes are? Or if this series is worth reading if you skip past those parts?

I am sorry if this is redundant. I have just heard a lot of great things..about this series, but I have also heard some bad things as well..
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
Web-Manga Hosted by: The Project
ChristianKitsune

Location: In my sketchbook of wonderment and puffy pink clouds! *\^o^/*

Postby Godly Paladin » Sun Sep 04, 2005 1:03 pm

I've never personally read them, but I have a friend who has and apparently there's all sorts of 'unholy unions' and incest, etc. I'd stay away.
ImageImage
Godly Paladin

Postby ChristianKitsune » Sun Sep 04, 2005 1:25 pm

eek..Incest? O_o
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
ChristianKitsune

Postby Godly Paladin » Sun Sep 04, 2005 1:39 pm

That's what she said. >.> Hence, I'm not interested.
ImageImage
Godly Paladin

Postby Yeito » Sun Sep 04, 2005 1:51 pm

Hey. o_o I've seen the anime. I tried to read the manga but it was so different from the anime that i couldn't stand it XD.

If you dont mind myths and such then the storyline is a pretty good one. There probably are some boob shots knowing Ms. Watase, and there is pregnency from wedlock. And probably blood too. o.o; But I thought the anime was good. If not sad. T-T I cried on that one episode that i wont say what happened but it was really sad....
Yeito

Postby Heart of Sword » Sun Sep 04, 2005 1:57 pm

Oh, it's nasty alright! Avoid it. Supposedly there's quite a few graphic sex scenes and it's been compared to "borderline hentai." The anime, however, is supposedly cleaner...
Heart of Sword's Rhapsody

Money, get away
Get a good job with good pay and you're okay
And all and all you're just another brick in the wall
Shoutin’ in the street gonna take on the world some day
But Bismallah will not let me go
Because I'll see you on the dark side of the moon

Tommy used to work on the docks
Union's been on strike
Bright eyes burning like fire
And exposing every weakness
However carefully hidden by the kids

Who will love a little Sparrow
Who's traveled far and cries for rest
Spare him his life from this monstrosity

I've seen a million faces and I've rocked them all
And if the band youre in starts playing different tunes
We will we will rock you
We will we will rock you!

[Pink Floyd fan listening to Queen and hugging trees which is also known as taking care of God's creation with a pair of headphones on listening to Nightwish as loud as possible while writing a novel on a computer in the middle of a field filled with Wolves.]

[Bassist...finally learning Money]
Heart of Sword

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Sun Sep 04, 2005 2:03 pm

Considering it's 16+ it can't be that bad... right...?
Shao Feng-Li

Postby Heart of Sword » Sun Sep 04, 2005 2:12 pm

Doesn't matter. There have been quite a few PG-13 movies that easily deserved to be rated R.
Heart of Sword's Rhapsody

Money, get away
Get a good job with good pay and you're okay
And all and all you're just another brick in the wall
Shoutin’ in the street gonna take on the world some day
But Bismallah will not let me go
Because I'll see you on the dark side of the moon

Tommy used to work on the docks
Union's been on strike
Bright eyes burning like fire
And exposing every weakness
However carefully hidden by the kids

Who will love a little Sparrow
Who's traveled far and cries for rest
Spare him his life from this monstrosity

I've seen a million faces and I've rocked them all
And if the band youre in starts playing different tunes
We will we will rock you
We will we will rock you!

[Pink Floyd fan listening to Queen and hugging trees which is also known as taking care of God's creation with a pair of headphones on listening to Nightwish as loud as possible while writing a novel on a computer in the middle of a field filled with Wolves.]

[Bassist...finally learning Money]
Heart of Sword

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Sun Sep 04, 2005 2:19 pm

Well, true enough. Heh.
Shao Feng-Li

Postby ChristianKitsune » Sun Sep 04, 2005 2:28 pm

Graphic Sex scenes? O_o *eyes bag of Ceres manga in the corner* eep... is there a way to skip over those scenes and not miss anything?
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
ChristianKitsune

Postby Arnobius » Sun Sep 04, 2005 2:42 pm

[spoiler]This series involves reincarnation. In a past life a brother and sister were husband and wife. When the brother reawakens into his past consciousness, he views his sister as his wife. The series seems to have no problem with premarital sex (a common theme with Yu Watase)[/spoiler]
Arnobius

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Sun Sep 04, 2005 2:45 pm

*Kicks Watase for screwing up a manga that could of been good, regardless of cultural differencees because thats' no excuse.* I'll pass. That art's only, so-so anyway.
Shao Feng-Li

Postby Arnobius » Sun Sep 04, 2005 2:46 pm

Shao Feng-Li wrote:Considering it's 16+ it can't be that bad... right...?

16+ is anime/manga's equivalent of an R rating
Arnobius

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Sun Sep 04, 2005 2:54 pm

Then what's 18+? NC-17? I could see Confidential Confessions getting an R.
Shao Feng-Li

Postby Arnobius » Sun Sep 04, 2005 2:57 pm

Shao Feng-Li wrote:Then what's 18+? NC-17? I could see Confidential Confessions getting an R.

Usually, if it has an 18+ it has some sort of graphic sex involved. If it's anime, it's always hentai. With manga, it doesn't always show hardcore, and some might be the equivalent of an R, but it does show sex going on.
Arnobius

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Sun Sep 04, 2005 2:57 pm

Got it.
Shao Feng-Li

Postby Mangafanatic » Sun Sep 04, 2005 3:19 pm

ChristianRonin wrote:Graphic Sex scenes? O_o *eyes bag of Ceres manga in the corner* eep... is there a way to skip over those scenes and not miss anything?

Technically, you could skip every objectionable element in any manga, but the objectionable theme in Ceres (incest and reincarnation, for example) permiate it. There are much better Watase titles, really. I'd just avoid it. This kind of slope is a very slipper one.
Every year in Uganda, innumerable children simply. . . disappear. These children all stolen under the cover of darkness from their homes and impressed into the guerilla armies of the LRA [Lord's Resistance Army]. In the deserts of Uganda, they are forced to witness the mindless slaughter of other children until they themselves can do nothing but kill. Kill. These children, generally ranging from ages 5-12, are brainwashed into murdering in the name of the resistance and into stealing other children from their beds to suffer the same fate.

Because of this genocide of innocence, hundred and hundreds of children live every night sleeping in public places miles from their homes, because they know that if the do not-- they will disappear. They will become just another number in this genocide to which the international community has chosen to turn a blind eye. They will become, in affect, invisible-- Invisible Children.

But there are those who are trying to fight against this slaughter of Uganda's children. They fight to protect these "invisible children." Please, help them help a country full of children who know nothing by fear. Help save the innocence. For more information concerning how you can help and how you can get an incredible video about this horrific reality, visit the Invisible Children home page.
Mangafanatic

Postby Godly Paladin » Sun Sep 04, 2005 3:27 pm

See? Mangafanatic agrees with me. :grin: Bottom line is that it's a sick, sick piece of trash not worth reading even if you 'skip over' parts of it. (Assuming that's possible.)
ImageImage
Godly Paladin

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Sun Sep 04, 2005 3:35 pm

Not even worth the paper it's printed on. (That's what mom says about US money. Heh.)
Shao Feng-Li

Postby Godly Paladin » Sun Sep 04, 2005 3:39 pm

:grin:
ImageImage
Godly Paladin

Postby Mangafanatic » Sun Sep 04, 2005 6:03 pm

Godly Paladin wrote: Bottom line is that it's a sick, sick piece of trash not worth reading even if you 'skip over' parts of it. (Assuming that's possible.)

I wouldn't go so far as to call it trash [if you removed all the crap in it, it'd probably be a darn good story, like so many other Watase manga], 'cause I do know christian people who like it. Likewise, I'm not going to condemn anyone who choses to read it. All I'm saying is that when I look at the good aspects versus the bad and when I put it up against the standards for "things we should think on" laid down in the Bible, I come away knowing that me reading it would be directly denying the spirit's leading.

Once you've read all our advice, CR, just think about what you think is true, noble, right, pure, lovely, and admirable (Guidelines laid out for things to think about ns Phillipians 4:8) in Ceres. Then thing about what is not true, noble, right, pure, lovely, and admirable. If you're having a very hard time making a "good" list, as I would, and very easy time making a bad list, that's probably a pretty clear signal of what you should do with Ms. Watase's [in]famous Ceres.

Furthermore, incest and the like aside, Ceres is known for being a very dark series. I know people who walked away from it feeling almost supressed by the atmosphere of it.

(BTW, if you want advice on other less taboo Watase manga, just PM me, k? I'd be glad to help another sister in the Lord find something to read. :thumb: )
Every year in Uganda, innumerable children simply. . . disappear. These children all stolen under the cover of darkness from their homes and impressed into the guerilla armies of the LRA [Lord's Resistance Army]. In the deserts of Uganda, they are forced to witness the mindless slaughter of other children until they themselves can do nothing but kill. Kill. These children, generally ranging from ages 5-12, are brainwashed into murdering in the name of the resistance and into stealing other children from their beds to suffer the same fate.

Because of this genocide of innocence, hundred and hundreds of children live every night sleeping in public places miles from their homes, because they know that if the do not-- they will disappear. They will become just another number in this genocide to which the international community has chosen to turn a blind eye. They will become, in affect, invisible-- Invisible Children.

But there are those who are trying to fight against this slaughter of Uganda's children. They fight to protect these "invisible children." Please, help them help a country full of children who know nothing by fear. Help save the innocence. For more information concerning how you can help and how you can get an incredible video about this horrific reality, visit the Invisible Children home page.
Mangafanatic

Postby Mave » Mon Sep 05, 2005 7:45 am

Having read at least the 5 volumes, I've concluded that Ayashi no Ceres is a well-written and interesting story but it's poorly presented by Christian standards.

There is a lot drama and angst, which is great for those who like stuff like that. The characters are pretty interesting and you can definitely feel their pain (well, I do! XD; ). But, I definitely think Watase could have skipped a lot of scenes. For most of us, it's bad enough to know that Aya and Touya sleep together but we don't really need to see the details of their coupling now, do we? There's only so much scandal we can take. (>.<)

I'm not too freaked by the so-called incest part simply because the reincarnated souls are husband and wife, who just happened to end up in twins. From what I understand, Aya and Aki sincerely love each other as brother and sister. An incest relationship that successfully (0_o)ed me was in Fushigi Yuugi (and no I'm not talking about Amiboshi/Suboshi).

.....I hope I didn't post any spoilers. <.<
Mave

Postby ChristianKitsune » Mon Sep 05, 2005 9:07 am

hmmm.. STUPID WATASE... I will probably just give these books back to my friend..... I have flipped through some of the volumes and I was like.. 0_o soooooo.. thanks for your advice guys! I really wanted to read this series..and I still kind of do.. but not with all this bad stuff in it...

I guess I will just go reread A 19th if I want some romance without too much crap... LOL
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
ChristianKitsune

Postby Doubleshadow » Mon Sep 05, 2005 5:47 pm

Yup, it's bad. I didn't understand how bad it was and read through some of the later volumes in the bookstore trying to get an idea of what I was dealing with. Whatever else there is, the possessed brother rapes his sister and it takes a few panels or more. My memory on it fuzzy beacuse I've been trying to eliminate it from my mind. That part was so awful I wanted to sry and felt like throwing up and I stayed feeling that way the rest of the evening. As you can imagine, I have not touched that title since and still get that nasty feeling whenever I see the title on the shelf.
[color="Red"]As a man thinks in his heart, so is he. - Proverbs 23:7[/color]

The Sundries
Robin: "If we close our eyes, we can't see anything."
Batman: "A sound observation, Robin."
Doubleshadow

Postby ChristianKitsune » Mon Sep 05, 2005 8:20 pm

ahh ok
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
ChristianKitsune

Postby Tenshi no Ai » Mon Sep 05, 2005 8:51 pm

*sigh* I always wondered about that title cause I liked the pretty graphics^^ But after hearing this... with some manga like this and other like Battle Royale from what I've heard *shudders* I'm surprised they bring these kinda manga over here! I mean, in many cases it's worse than a rated R North American movie :/
Tenshi no Ai

Postby kazekami » Mon Sep 05, 2005 9:35 pm

I think Imadoki and Alice 19th are better choices of her work. And Eputransu Mai. Appare Jipangu is good too. Ceres has way too much sex in it. I have 4 volumes of it I admit. I think the story itself is good overall. Better then the anime. I probably won't be buying more of the series. However, it could have done without the sex. And yes the anime has way less thank goodness.
Meow!

adopted by spirit-me-away and CephasVII

proud adopter of:
Azier the Swordsman, Sakura's Wings(kitty form), Sora(kingdom Hearts), Squall Leonhart(FFVIII and KH), Li Syaoran(Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles),
kurogane (Tsubasa Resevoir Chronicles) blessedsolitude, Animagus24, scarletfire818, LeaChan-4ever, teen4truth, Starfire1, Kura Ookami, 1BalloonPopper, Sheenar, Dunedan, Fantasy Dreamer, starfire, zelda, Erin

I like swords. They are nice and shiny and sharp. :jump:

I Love
^__^
( ^.^)
(\/ \/)
(,,)(,,)

T3h Neko
KITTIES WILL RULE THE UNIVERSE!!!!
kazekami

Postby Mangafanatic » Tue Sep 06, 2005 5:44 am

Tenshi no Ai wrote:*sigh* I always wondered about that title cause I liked the pretty graphics^^ But after hearing this... with some manga like this and other like Battle Royale from what I've heard *shudders* I'm surprised they bring these kinda manga over here! I mean, in many cases it's worse than a rated R North American movie :/

I'd say they're really just about equal to our R rated movies. Furthermore, I'm not really surprised they bring this manga over. If someone's going to buy it (which they do), then someone's probably going to license and publish it. Afteall, Watase is a rabidly popular mangaka. People will read certain manga just because she wrote it. Sad, but true.

Mangafanatic

Postby Godly Paladin » Tue Sep 06, 2005 3:01 pm

Maybe it has a good story, Mangafanatic, but there are so many mangas out there that you might as well be picky. Ceres has a good underlying story, possibly, but there are hundreds of other mangas with great stories and less content, so why compromise your standards?
ImageImage
Godly Paladin

Postby ChristianKitsune » Tue Sep 06, 2005 3:11 pm

OK! I have given the mangas back to my friend! (all 11 of em) So.. I appreciate your comments.. while Flipping through them beforehand probably scarred me for a couple of days I am GLAD I didn't read them.. I appreciate your comments one and ALL! ^0^

Ima gonna go look into Imadoki!
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
ChristianKitsune

Next

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews