What are you reading?

A place to discuss your favorite authors and poets, Christian and secular

Postby kazekami » Fri Aug 26, 2005 1:52 pm

I'm reading book 10 of the Wheel of Time
Meow!

adopted by spirit-me-away and CephasVII

proud adopter of:
Azier the Swordsman, Sakura's Wings(kitty form), Sora(kingdom Hearts), Squall Leonhart(FFVIII and KH), Li Syaoran(Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles),
kurogane (Tsubasa Resevoir Chronicles) blessedsolitude, Animagus24, scarletfire818, LeaChan-4ever, teen4truth, Starfire1, Kura Ookami, 1BalloonPopper, Sheenar, Dunedan, Fantasy Dreamer, starfire, zelda, Erin

I like swords. They are nice and shiny and sharp. :jump:

I Love
^__^
( ^.^)
(\/ \/)
(,,)(,,)

T3h Neko
KITTIES WILL RULE THE UNIVERSE!!!!
kazekami

Postby Kaori » Sat Aug 27, 2005 4:31 pm

For class, I have been reading The New Testament in the World of Antiquity, various early American writings, and More's Utopia. While More has long been known for his keen political observations, I some of the editorial comments in the edition I am using (translated and edited Robert Adams) are also fairly acerbic, like the following footnote: "For a Christian saint, More has a terrible pratical insight into the ways of government hypocrisy, which we sometimes call, indulgently, public relations."

For myself, I am reading through a few books on the subject of speed reading.
Let others believe in the God who brings men to trial and judges them. I shall cling to the God who resurrects the dead.
-St. Nikolai Velimirovich

MAL
Kaori

Postby Bobtheduck » Sat Aug 27, 2005 8:31 pm

I am going to read Ender's Game... I had started it once before, but couldn't get into it... My friend is getting a bit... Well, he probably wants it back, so I'm going to try to read it now. He keeps telling me he thinks It's my kind of book. I'm gonna force myself to go through this one...

I just got done with Starship Troopers by Robert A. Heinlein. Another book I tried before and couldn't get into, I forced myself to read it on the train and it turned out to be a pretty good book. Almost no action (kinda strange for a sci-fi military story), but a number of interesting points, nonetheless. It was mostly political, and I had to laugh at some things... Comparing this to the movie, I think my mom would have be offended beyond belief by the movie, and probably would have agreed with the book on most points except for the evolution aspects and the brief mention of psychic soldiers.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Legend of Crying Bronies: Twilight's a Princess
Bobtheduck

Postby Scribs » Sat Aug 27, 2005 8:41 pm

Theatre: brief versian by Robert Cohen
"I concluded from the begining that this would be the end; and I am right, for it is not half over."
-Sir Boyle Roche
Scribs

Postby uc pseudonym » Sat Aug 27, 2005 8:46 pm

Bobtheduck wrote:I am going to read Ender's Game... I had started it once before, but couldn't get into it... My friend is getting a bit... Well, he probably wants it back, so I'm going to try to read it now. He keeps telling me he thinks It's my kind of book. I'm gonna force myself to go through this one...

That book had a number of admirable qualities, yet the manner in which it went about its plot did not appeal to me. I would encourage you to read it, but if some parts are boring you, there is a good chance it will do you no harm to read through them rather quickly (some portions of the plot could be removed without ruining the story, though it would hinder it somewhat).

As for myself, I'm reading a number of books, some of them textbooks, some of them standard reading material, some of them technically both. Titles are no that important.
uc pseudonym

Postby mitsuki lover » Tue Aug 30, 2005 2:17 pm

I am currently reading:Red Star Over Hollywood:The Film Colony's Long Romance
With The Left by Ronald and Allis Radosh.
This is a rather well documented and readable account of how the Communist
inflitrated Hollywood during the 1920s and 1930s and how they managed to dupe so many people up to the period of the House UnAmerican Committee hearings of
the 1940s and 1950s(note:as Anne Coulter notes in her equally well written book:
Treason the HUAC hearings had nothing to do with McCarthy as he was a SENATOR)
What is surprising and quite shocking is some of the now Pop Icons of the 20th
century who were actual Party Members or Fellow Travelers or Willing Dupes.
mitsuki lover

Postby uc pseudonym » Tue Aug 30, 2005 6:20 pm

The Elephant Vanishes by Haruki Murakami

A collection of short stories. I really can't saying anything that nice about them, except that it did lead me to begin reading...

Hard-boiled Wonderland and The End of the World also by Haruki Murakami

This one has my interest, though it took a while to begin truly moving. We'll see how much I like it overall. He has a third work translated into English, but I skimmed some of it and felt it wasn't worth my time. I am very picky about literature based on reality.
uc pseudonym

Postby Scribs » Tue Aug 30, 2005 6:49 pm

I just read the script to The Glass Menagerie" by Tennissee Williams
"I concluded from the begining that this would be the end; and I am right, for it is not half over."
-Sir Boyle Roche
Scribs

Postby meboeck » Tue Aug 30, 2005 9:17 pm

I just finished "Cards on the Table" by Agatha Christie, and I am about to start "Chronicles of Narnia" by C.S. Lewis.
*insert poem, quote, or witty comment here*

"If it doesn't fit, you must edIT! -- [color=#cc3322]MOES."
[/color]
meboeck

Postby mitsuki lover » Sat Sep 03, 2005 2:49 pm

Just began reading Do I Stand Alone? by former Minnesota governor Jesse Ventura.
mitsuki lover

Postby Kaori » Sat Sep 03, 2005 7:27 pm

Castle in the Air, by Diana Wynne Jones, sequel to Howl's Moving Castle. I didn't like this book quite as much as Howl, but it was still very enjoyable.

The Craft of Revision, by Donald M. Murray.

Arthurian Romances
by Chrétien de Troyes. In addition to being one of the more influential versions of the Arthur legends, this is simply a well-written and enjoyable work.
Let others believe in the God who brings men to trial and judges them. I shall cling to the God who resurrects the dead.

MAL
Kaori

Postby martinloyola » Sat Sep 03, 2005 8:14 pm

David Edding's The Elenium, which is very different from the Belgariad and the Mallorean. The main character Sparhawk is pretty dark heroic if I must say.
Vash: In the end...he just couldn't kill a man in cold blood. His daughter's murder goes unpunished. Call him weak, but...it saved both of us.

want to tell your fantasy or science fiction story and need help, try here :cool:

Headbangers United :rock:
martinloyola

Postby Scribs » Sat Sep 03, 2005 10:25 pm

Exodus
-Sir Boyle Roche
Scribs

Postby Kaori » Thu Sep 08, 2005 10:31 pm

Various writings by Tyndale. I particularly enjoyed excerpts from his New Testament, which I would recommend to anyone interested in early English Bible translations; his phrasings have an admirable vigor, and his work strongly influenced later translators.

Selected works by Edward Taylor, an early American poet. I had never heard of him before taking this class (Early American Lit.), but he wrote quite a few lovely and charming devotional poems, even though some of his word choices, from a modern standpoint, are odd and sometimes humorous. ("My Quaintest metaphors are ragged Stuff, / Making the Sun seem like a Mullipuff." A footnote defines mullipuff as "fuzz ball.")

MAL
Kaori

Postby ShiroiHikari » Thu Sep 08, 2005 10:37 pm

Till We Have Faces, by C.S. Lewis
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Mave » Fri Sep 09, 2005 10:58 am

I'm attempting to restore my reading habits so...

Terry Pratchet "The Color of Magic"

It's a bit confusing at the beginning. I hope I'll pick up on it eventually. I've never read TP before but I've heard good reviews on him as an author.
Mave

Postby Scribs » Fri Sep 09, 2005 11:15 am

7 characters in search of an author
-Sir Boyle Roche
Scribs

Postby mitsuki lover » Fri Sep 09, 2005 5:58 pm

I am currently in perusing of a highly intelligent advanced level thesis on the
biodiverse lives of archnids living in Manhattan entitled:THE ESSENTIAL AMAZING
SPIDER-MAN vol.4!
mitsuki lover

Postby martinloyola » Fri Sep 09, 2005 9:59 pm

[quote]Terry Pratchet "The Color of Magic" [\QUOTE]

Mave, this man rocks!!! I love his humor, he is so funny, he makes fun of every tradition in fantasy, think of him as a Douglas Adams, but instead of sci-fi, it for fantasy readers,

just hang on tight, after a while things will start to fall together....literally!!!

.....the luggage is my favorite!! :thumbsup:
Vash: In the end...he just couldn't kill a man in cold blood. His daughter's murder goes unpunished. Call him weak, but...it saved both of us.

want to tell your fantasy or science fiction story and need help, try here :cool:

Headbangers United :rock:
martinloyola

Postby Mave » Sat Sep 10, 2005 5:22 am

That's great to hear, martinloyola. Douglas Adams hmm? OK, I'll keep reading XD
Mave

Postby Technomancer » Sat Sep 10, 2005 5:27 am

I just finished 'Hatful of Sky' by Terry Pratchett, and am currently reading 'Five Silver' by Harry Reid and Eric Mayer., which is a mystery novel. Out of personal interest, I'm also reading 'Anisotropic Nonlinear Filtering of Cellular Structures in Cryoelectric Tomography by Fernandez and Li.
The scientific method," Thomas Henry Huxley once wrote, "is nothing but the normal working of the human mind." That is to say, when the mind is working; that is to say further, when it is engaged in corrrecting its mistakes. Taking this point of view, we may conclude that science is not physics, biology, or chemistry—is not even a "subject"—but a moral imperative drawn from a larger narrative whose purpose is to give perspective, balance, and humility to learning.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby uc pseudonym » Sat Sep 10, 2005 11:50 am

Mave wrote:I'm attempting to restore my reading habits so...

Terry Pratchet "The Color of Magic"

It's a bit confusing at the beginning. I hope I'll pick up on it eventually. I've never read TP before but I've heard good reviews on him as an author.

I have not read that specific novel, but I do enjoy Terry Pratchet as an author. Meanwhile, I finished Not Even a Hint by Joshua Harris. It was more or less what I expected, which means not really applicable and more or less uninteresting (though quite short). I hope to start Westrix Donn which is a fantasy novel by an author I may actually get a chance to talk to in person (though I don't remember his name).
uc pseudonym

Postby Locke » Tue Sep 13, 2005 5:58 pm

Just finished White by Ted Dekker and i can safely say I will never look at God the same way. The emotion Justin has is moving to say the least.

Started Monster by Frank Peretti today, good start, but i'm wondering why he revealed so much in the begining.
Secret Bumping Club Member #10 - geocities.com/arphage/sbc.html

When you find yourself in the company of a halfling and an ill-tempered
Dragon, remember, you do not have to outrun the Dragon...
...you just have to outrun the halfling.
Locke

Postby Kaori » Tue Sep 13, 2005 8:35 pm

Benjamin Franklin's Autobiography (parts 1 and 2), several accounts of the examination of Anne Askew, and Gottfried von Straussburg's Tristan.

MAL
Kaori

Postby mitsuki lover » Wed Sep 14, 2005 1:55 pm

I read Faith And Betrayal about the story of an upper class Englishwoman
who converts to Mormonism with her family and then when she discovers
that the missionaries misrepresented certain facts to her drifts away from
the LDS after arriving in Utah.Later she moved to California after the
Continental Railroad was finished and ended up her life as a Congregationalist.

Right now I am going to read Out of Boneville by Jeff Smith. :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:
mitsuki lover

Postby uc pseudonym » Thu Sep 15, 2005 6:46 am

I am rereading Fellowship of the Ring. The fact that this is for a class is rather enjoyable. Also, I am reading Storytelling, Imagination and Faith by William Bausch. It is interesting but less applicable than I expected.
uc pseudonym

Postby bigsleepj » Thu Sep 15, 2005 10:08 am

I'm reading Charles Dickens' "Little Dorrit" and Jeff Smith's Bone. Both are excellent so far.
bigsleepj

Postby blue elf » Thu Sep 15, 2005 10:50 am

Eldest.....and I'm getting ready to start on Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand.(that one's for my American Lit. class)
blue elf

Postby Ssjjvash » Thu Sep 15, 2005 4:07 pm

I'm reading volume 1 of Bleach.
If you can force your heart and nerve and sinew
To serve your turn long after they are gone
And so hold on when there is nothing left in you
Except the Will which says to them: 'Hold on!' ...you'll be a Man, my son!

Rudyard Kipling

Satan, bite the dust!Image

"You are not who your mistakes say you are; you are not the sum of your failures!"---Rev. Billy Miller

Proverbs 18:24
Ssjjvash

Postby Hephzibah » Thu Sep 15, 2005 4:54 pm

I am reading A Voice in the Wind by Francine Rivers XD good book!
Hephzibah

Previous Next

Return to Book Corner