Manga reading speed

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

Manga reading speed

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Mon Aug 22, 2005 8:21 pm

how fast does it usually take you to read a standard manga volume?

for me it usually takes 20-40 minutes to finish one. how about you guys?
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Mon Aug 22, 2005 8:30 pm

I haven't read much manga, but usually they take about 45 mins to 1 hour to read. I'm talking about the The New Kindaichi Case Files. They have lots of speech and small panels mostly, but are very good. It depends on the sort of manga it is really.
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby ~Natsumi Lam~ » Mon Aug 22, 2005 9:00 pm

i read really quickly[in novels and textbooks] but when i look at mangas... it takes a long time because i like really looking at the drawings more than the stories... thats why i buy them. SO i would say 45 min at least... i end up stopping and drawing one of the pics i really like.

~Natsumi Lam~
my new little sis: Eriana :) an awsome woman in Christ!!

- "For we fight not against flesh and blood" -

<~~~Eph.6:12-18~~~>

~Natsumi Lam~

Postby Kawaiikneko » Tue Aug 23, 2005 6:57 am

I take about 30 minutes on average. If one has more dialogue, like fruits basket, and I take the time to read all of it I might take longer. For something like Trigun Maximum, it only takes about 15 minutes for me to read. Personally, I like the mangas that take me longer to read.
Kawaiikneko

Postby Rev. Doc » Tue Aug 23, 2005 7:05 am

Days. I generally keep one in my truck and when I go from place to place and I have to wait for something or having lunch somewhere I'll pull it out and read some. However, I read very few titles, probably only about 4.
"The secret of a good sermon is to have a good beginning and a good ending, then having the two as close together as possible."
~George Burns
Rev. Doc

Postby Sammy Boy » Tue Aug 23, 2005 7:19 am

I'd say one to two hours in one sitting. I "read" art slower than I read text. :)
Sammy Boy

Postby ShiroiHikari » Tue Aug 23, 2005 7:30 am

Hmm...usually it takes me about 20-40 minutes depending on the amount of dialogue and stuff.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Mangafanatic » Tue Aug 23, 2005 7:36 am

Half Hour generally. But the second time through I stop to enjoy the details, si that read through takes closer to an hour.
Every year in Uganda, innumerable children simply. . . disappear. These children all stolen under the cover of darkness from their homes and impressed into the guerilla armies of the LRA [Lord's Resistance Army]. In the deserts of Uganda, they are forced to witness the mindless slaughter of other children until they themselves can do nothing but kill. Kill. These children, generally ranging from ages 5-12, are brainwashed into murdering in the name of the resistance and into stealing other children from their beds to suffer the same fate.

Because of this genocide of innocence, hundred and hundreds of children live every night sleeping in public places miles from their homes, because they know that if the do not-- they will disappear. They will become just another number in this genocide to which the international community has chosen to turn a blind eye. They will become, in affect, invisible-- Invisible Children.

But there are those who are trying to fight against this slaughter of Uganda's children. They fight to protect these "invisible children." Please, help them help a country full of children who know nothing by fear. Help save the innocence. For more information concerning how you can help and how you can get an incredible video about this horrific reality, visit the Invisible Children home page.
Mangafanatic

Postby dragonshimmer » Tue Aug 23, 2005 8:01 am

An hour to an hour and a half. Those little suckers are expensive, so I try to make them last as long as possible, savoring every second xD
dragonshimmer

Postby Gypsy » Tue Aug 23, 2005 8:29 am

I've never really thought about it, but I don't like to rush through manga. I get a lot more out of the story if I put a little imagination into it as I read. I'll try to pay attention to the setting and add background noise, and I also tend to read the dialogue at the pace that it would really be spoken. I've done the same with some books too. It might take 3 times as long to get through a book or manga, but with a little concentration, you can add a whole other dimension to a story.
||Skipping Tomorrows Webmanga||
"A ship in harbor is safe but that is not what ships are built for." - John A. Shedd
Gypsy

Postby IZ&Trigun4life » Tue Aug 23, 2005 12:18 pm

about 20-30 minutes for me.....we all seem to be right around the same, except for maybe a few people.
Image "Call unto me, and I will answer thee, and show thee great and mighty things which thou knowest not."-Jeremiah 33:3
Yes I love my God, He is the fountain of life and my savior. He keeps me going day and night, without Him, I am no one, But with Him I can do everything, Christ is my strength

Adopted By:
Silvanis
Sakura's Wings
Tidus20

Adopted Neko Brother: Jaden Mental

*is still waiting for more offers lol*

Christians are not narrow minded. We are moral minded!

"My Heart Is Beeping....For The INVISIBLE CHILDREN"
IZ&Trigun4life

Postby kazekami » Tue Aug 23, 2005 3:24 pm

Depends on what laungau its in. For English 30 mintues to an hour. French. 2 hours. Japanese a month.
Meow!

adopted by spirit-me-away and CephasVII

proud adopter of:
Azier the Swordsman, Sakura's Wings(kitty form), Sora(kingdom Hearts), Squall Leonhart(FFVIII and KH), Li Syaoran(Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles),
kurogane (Tsubasa Resevoir Chronicles) blessedsolitude, Animagus24, scarletfire818, LeaChan-4ever, teen4truth, Starfire1, Kura Ookami, 1BalloonPopper, Sheenar, Dunedan, Fantasy Dreamer, starfire, zelda, Erin

I like swords. They are nice and shiny and sharp. :jump:

I Love
^__^
( ^.^)
(\/ \/)
(,,)(,,)

T3h Neko
KITTIES WILL RULE THE UNIVERSE!!!!
kazekami

Postby SnoringFrog » Tue Aug 23, 2005 3:35 pm

30 minutes to an hour, usually.
UC Pseudonym wrote:For a while I wasn't sure how to answer this, and then I thought "What would Batman do?" Excuse me while I find a warehouse with a skylight...
[SIZE="7"][color="MediumTurquoise"]Cobalt Figure 8[/color][/SIZE]
DeviantArt || Myspace || Facebook || Greasemonkey Scripts || Stylish Userstyles
SnoringFrog

Postby Mangafanatic » Tue Aug 23, 2005 3:39 pm

Ugh this was supposed to be Yumie again, go to the next post to see what she said. . .
Every year in Uganda, innumerable children simply. . . disappear. These children all stolen under the cover of darkness from their homes and impressed into the guerilla armies of the LRA [Lord's Resistance Army]. In the deserts of Uganda, they are forced to witness the mindless slaughter of other children until they themselves can do nothing but kill. Kill. These children, generally ranging from ages 5-12, are brainwashed into murdering in the name of the resistance and into stealing other children from their beds to suffer the same fate.

Because of this genocide of innocence, hundred and hundreds of children live every night sleeping in public places miles from their homes, because they know that if the do not-- they will disappear. They will become just another number in this genocide to which the international community has chosen to turn a blind eye. They will become, in affect, invisible-- Invisible Children.

But there are those who are trying to fight against this slaughter of Uganda's children. They fight to protect these "invisible children." Please, help them help a country full of children who know nothing by fear. Help save the innocence. For more information concerning how you can help and how you can get an incredible video about this horrific reality, visit the Invisible Children home page.
Mangafanatic

Postby Yumie » Tue Aug 23, 2005 3:40 pm

I go really fast when I'm reading novels, like I can usually finish a larger novel like a Ted Dekker book in just a day or two, but when I read manga I always go really slow to read all the dialouge and really pay attention to everything that's happening in the panels. So it takes me about an hour or two, depending on the size of the manga and stuff. I think Fruits Basket or Azumanga Diaoh take me the longest. That's mostly true with Fruits Basket because it's my favorite and I don't want to rush it ^-^
Yumie

Postby Debitt » Tue Aug 23, 2005 3:52 pm

45 minutes to an hour thereabouts, if I can sit and read undisturbed.

I usually go back and read again, though. x3 and again and again and again...

[SIZE="5"](*゚∀゚)アハア八アッ八ッノヽ~☆[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]DEBS: Fan of that manga where the kid's head is on fire.[/SIZE]
Debitt

Postby Kawaiikneko » Tue Aug 23, 2005 3:58 pm

I read Fruits Basket really slowly too Yumie! Its cause I read every single little thing and take my time looking at the drawings. But I don't do that with most manga. I usually take longer to read shoujo manga though. Usually because they have the little side dialogues that I read.
Kawaiikneko

Postby Kisa » Wed Aug 24, 2005 6:31 am

1/2 hour to 1 hour generally... for me ^^ mostly an hour so I can really see all the art ^^
Romans 12:2
Kisa

Postby uc pseudonym » Wed Aug 24, 2005 8:29 pm

I posted this same information elsewhere not a day ago...

About 20-30 minutes, if I take my time to enjoy the manga. As I stated before, that enjoyment is not diminished on a second reading, though I do pay significant attention to the art in each panel and (obviously) read all the dialogue. I've never timed myself hurrying through a volume, so I can't answer for that accurately.
uc pseudonym

Postby dragonshimmer » Wed Aug 24, 2005 8:33 pm

kazekami wrote:Depends on what laungau its in. For English 30 mintues to an hour. French. 2 hours. Japanese a month.

You read manga in French? That's so awesome!
dragonshimmer

Postby blue elf » Thu Aug 25, 2005 7:08 am

About an hour, give or take. Sometimes I like to look at the pictures for a bit.
-BlueElf
blue elf

Postby Radical Dreamer » Thu Aug 25, 2005 2:15 pm

Wow, there's a bunch of speed readers here!! XD It usually takes me about an hour and a half to finish a 180-200 page manga with less dialogue like Rurouni, and it takes me a good 2-2 1/2 hours to read something like Furuba, since it's full of dialouge...I also like to look at the pics, since that's what makes manga special, and I also read like Gypsy said earlier...I read it at the pace in which it would most likely be spoken. I also mentally insert the voice actors' voices, haha!! Anyways, yeah...Guess I'm a slower reader! n.n
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby inkhana » Thu Aug 25, 2005 2:25 pm

Hmm, I dunno...not as long as I'd like XD I like to spend time studying the art and plot, and I usually don't sit and read through one all at once. So probably about an hour apiece.

BOOSTER: Hey, No.1! Where's my cake?!
SNIFIT 1: Booster, Sir! There's a 70% chance the object you're standing on is a cake.
BOOSTER: What? THIS thing's a cake?

You have the power to say anything you want, so why not say something positive?
- Frank Capra

(in response to an interview question "Do you have a pet peeve having to do with this biz?")
People who write below their abilities in order to crank out tons of books and make a buck. Especially Christian authors who do that. Outsiders judge us for it, and make fun of us for it, and it makes Jesus look bad. We of all artists on earth should be the most concerned with doing our best possible work at all times. We of all people should write with all our hearts, as if writing for the Lord and not for men.
- Athol Dickson

Avatar by scarlethibiscus from LJ.
inkhana

Postby oro! » Thu Aug 25, 2005 4:41 pm

If I am reading for art it takes much longer, but if it's for story, then I will sure only take around 30-45 minutes.
"I've learned when you throw mud at others, not only do you get your hands dirty, but you also lose a lot of ground." Ravi Zacharias
"Pride grows in the human heart like lard on a pig." Aleksander Solzhenitzen (so call me on it)
"Zeal without knowledge can lead to chaos." - Bob Rohm
"Why don't we love his truth as much as we seem to love his love?"- Cross Movement, in their song "Check us Out"
oro!

Postby Ichigo_89 » Fri Aug 26, 2005 9:48 am

If I'm just reading the story, 40 minutes usually.

If I'm absorbing it all, 1 hour or more.
Ichigo_89

Postby Hitokiri » Fri Aug 26, 2005 1:10 pm

Enough to thoruougly enjoy it, to read it over a bit before I finish, and to appreciate the art. So anywhere from 30 to 45 minutes. I am a fast reader though.
Hitokiri

Postby PrincessZelda » Sat Aug 27, 2005 3:43 pm

Maybe an hour... Sometimes more... I like to memorize the pictures sometimes, lol.
"If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats."

PrincessZelda

Postby Breakman » Sat Aug 27, 2005 4:04 pm

It takes a hour or less to read a 100 page manga. The second reading is when I take my time trying to pick a part panels: figuring how the artist is showing action or emotion, what ways I would draw certain things differently, and just analyzing page by page for secrets and jokes. But this all it done if I really liked the book or trying to get ideas for my drawings, that is. B)
:cool:
Breakman

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews