Manga Pacing...

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

Manga Pacing...

Postby Aeolus21 » Sat Aug 20, 2005 11:58 pm

I was just wondering how you guys pace yourself when reading any given manga title - Do you simply breeze through it and read the dialogue or take time to look at the art as well?

It takes me a few hours (in one sitting) to finish one volume as I generally like to take a few seconds examining each box in sequence. I don't know if this qualifies me as a slow manga reader, but then again the experience lies in how much time you focus reading.
Aeolus21

Postby bigsleepj » Sun Aug 21, 2005 1:35 am

I read a volume (of Kenshin) in an hour. A longer, more complex manga (Like Nausicaa) takes a little bit longer. But I run through manga when I read it. When I reread it I stup to notice the art and such. :)
Unwise Toasting Sermon

The Sweet Smell of CAA
The Avatar Christian Ronin designed for me
An Avatar KhakiBlue gave to me
The avatar Termyt made for me

KhakiBlueSocks wrote:"I'm going to make you a prayer request you can't refuse..." Cue the violins. :lol:

Current Avatar by SirThinks2much - thank you very much! :thumb::)
bigsleepj

Postby Sammy Boy » Sun Aug 21, 2005 1:59 am

I read through it slowly. I don't like to flip the pages really fast. I have some friends who like to give the whole book a quick "once through" before really reading it. In my own personal opinion, I feel that kind of spoils the experience.

I like to savour the experience, work through each speech bubble one at a time and keep thinking about the story as I go through it. When there are some scenes in the story that I do not understand, I like to go back and reread it, but I do this twice at most so as not to take myself away from continuing the story.

I get my money's worth. Hahah. :)
Sammy Boy

Postby jazz » Sun Aug 21, 2005 8:21 am

agreed, ultra magnus. i preffer to take my time, but at the same time try not to slow it down too much. i like looking at the art, sometimes the pictures do a better job of getting the message across anyway. . . then again, sometimes not... but you get the idea ^_~
jazz

Postby AngelSakura » Sun Aug 21, 2005 8:34 am

I have a horrible time when I get a new Trigun Maximum. The feeling is to bolt through it, but I have to keep stopping so that I don't have a heart attack with the awesomeness. >.> Also, the way Nightow-sensei draws/writes, it's nearly impossible to tell what's going on at first glance, sometimes. So I end up reading it medium speed. With other manga, I read it at a similar speed, but a good deal more consistantly.
Think happy thoughts.
AngelSakura

Postby Kaori » Sun Aug 21, 2005 10:20 am

It depends upon what manga I am reading. I typically read through a volume in around 40 minutes, although for denser series a volume will take closer to an hour for me to read. I read through first for the text, paying attention to the artwork mostly for what it adds to the plot; afterwards, I usually reread the volume and admire the artwork for its own sake, picking up any details that I missed along the way.
Let others believe in the God who brings men to trial and judges them. I shall cling to the God who resurrects the dead.
-St. Nikolai Velimirovich

MAL
Kaori

Postby Ashley » Sun Aug 21, 2005 12:09 pm

It really depends on the manga. Some series that I read for the story more than art, like Fruits Basket, I tend to be quicker. Maybe about 30-40 minutes. Others, especially Tanemura sensei or Ultimate Spiderman (which yes, is a comic but so what) takes closer to that hour mark, if not more.
Ashley

Postby Debitt » Sun Aug 21, 2005 12:24 pm

It takes me about 45 minutes to an hour to finish a volume of a manga, but with a volume I REALLY like (Tactics 2 for example. >_>) I usually go back and read it over and over and over and over and absorb all the details. ^^;

[SIZE="5"](*゚∀゚)アハア八アッ八ッノヽ~☆[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]DEBS: Fan of that manga where the kid's head is on fire.[/SIZE]
Debitt

Postby Myoti » Sun Aug 21, 2005 12:26 pm

I read through quickly the first time, then go back and check out everything.
Myoti

Postby The Last Bard » Sun Aug 21, 2005 12:49 pm

Yeah, it really depends for me too. For example, I can read through a One Piece manga in but a little time just because how easy it is to follow. But like AngelSakura said above, something like Trigun is quiet hard to follow through if you don't stop and look at the art a bit.
But I'm currently reading Comic Party, and I'm taking it slow just because I love the art in his books!
I guess for me it just depends on how easy the art is to follow. Or if I want to spend time admiring it or not.
Oh! And something else it also depends on is if it is a comedy or not. Example: Love Hina or Saiyuki.

Later,
Aaron
The Last Bard

Postby Mave » Sun Aug 21, 2005 4:29 pm

Myoti wrote:I read through quickly the first time, then go back and check out everything.

This pretty much sums up what I do.
Mave

Postby Sammy Boy » Mon Aug 22, 2005 2:40 am

Ashley wrote:Ultimate Spiderman (which yes, is a comic but so what)

Good on ya for reading a comic Ashley! :)
Sammy Boy

Postby uc pseudonym » Mon Aug 22, 2005 9:50 am

Reading at a relaxed pace, the average manga volume takes 20-30 minutes for me to read (I'm certain something like Death Note would take longer). I've never looked at the clock when rushing through one, so I'm not certain how long that would take. Going slower than that rate ruins the experience for me, but I typically read a volume a second time and enjoy it in different ways. Anything beyond that is unusual and reserved for very good series.
uc pseudonym

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews