Fruits Basket language

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

Fruits Basket language

Postby Neosevangel » Sat Aug 20, 2005 3:34 pm

Hello. I'll just cut to the chase. How bad and excessive is the cussing in the Fruits Basket manga. I'm thinking of buying some volumes because buying the DVDs bothers me. The reason being is because the anime's american version has way to much cussing. (only thing Funimation did wrong with Fruits Basket in general.) No offense I know the Japanese version has less but it still bothers me its on there kinda excessively. So please could someone help me out in this area.

Thank you for the time you took to read this. And please help.
Neosevangel

Postby Yumie » Sat Aug 20, 2005 3:57 pm

Ok, the language in the manga isn't as bad as the lanuage in the anime, but there still is a lot of it. However the language gets to be less and less and the volumes progress, so that's nice. The last one only had four or five words I think. Maybe eventually it will stop all together. What's below isn't really a spoiler, it's just a little bit more detailed, so it won't ruin anything but I wanted to put it in spoiler tags just in case anybody just really didn't want to know anything at all about the series until they read it. I would advise you to read it though, neo-kun.

[spoiler]The thing is, while I hate the language, in the manga unlike most others it serves a purpose. Many of the characters are supposed to be VERY rough and unruly and just basically immature, but as the volumes progress, we're supposed to be able to see them maturing. The fact that they are gradually no loner the angry cussing characters as much as they used to be helps us to be able to notice the obvious nature of their change. Anyways, it still stinks, but I think that's why it's there.[/spoiler]
Yumie

Postby Neosevangel » Sat Aug 20, 2005 4:06 pm

I have a feeling your talking about Kyo in the tag. ;) This is really all good to know thank you. The manga I've heard is ten times better than the anime. That's why I am getting some volumes. Besides if it bothers me to much I can use the magic of white out! (like I did to the first few volumes of Tsubasa.)
Neosevangel

Postby Yumie » Sat Aug 20, 2005 4:36 pm

[quote="Neosevangel"]I have a feeling your talking about Kyo in the tag. ]

Ha ha, you're right, I was talking about Kyo; and yes, the manga is IMHO ten times better than the anime; just know in advance that it might take several magic white out pens for the language in all 11 volumes.

The nice thing is that despite the laguage and other objectionable material in this series, the overall message is very good. That's why I read them and enjoy them as much as I do.

Tohru Honda is my role-model! :lol:
Yumie

Postby Mangafanatic » Sat Aug 20, 2005 5:17 pm

On the lappy, I have an exactly count of the amount of language in the first three volumes. When I get a chance, I'll post it. There was most than I remembered, but the good thing is is that if become less and less. I think there was maybe one bad word in the entire last few volumes.
Every year in Uganda, innumerable children simply. . . disappear. These children all stolen under the cover of darkness from their homes and impressed into the guerilla armies of the LRA [Lord's Resistance Army]. In the deserts of Uganda, they are forced to witness the mindless slaughter of other children until they themselves can do nothing but kill. Kill. These children, generally ranging from ages 5-12, are brainwashed into murdering in the name of the resistance and into stealing other children from their beds to suffer the same fate.

Because of this genocide of innocence, hundred and hundreds of children live every night sleeping in public places miles from their homes, because they know that if the do not-- they will disappear. They will become just another number in this genocide to which the international community has chosen to turn a blind eye. They will become, in affect, invisible-- Invisible Children.

But there are those who are trying to fight against this slaughter of Uganda's children. They fight to protect these "invisible children." Please, help them help a country full of children who know nothing by fear. Help save the innocence. For more information concerning how you can help and how you can get an incredible video about this horrific reality, visit the Invisible Children home page.
Mangafanatic

Postby Kisa » Wed Aug 24, 2005 6:35 am

I do think it has become less of an issue.. but I'l have to re-read them to be sure....
Romans 12:2
Kisa

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews