What are you reading?

A place to discuss your favorite authors and poets, Christian and secular

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Sun Aug 07, 2005 9:27 pm

Chronicles of the Host Book 4: Final Confrontation by Doug Brian Shafer and now I'm about to begin Three by Ted Dekker.
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby Technomancer » Sun Aug 07, 2005 10:01 pm

uc pseudonym wrote:I've read Night Watch but none of the others about Samuel Vimes (personally one of my favorite characters, though I also like Lord Vetinari and Death... and, oddly enough, Mr. Pump of Going Postal). Are there others have focus on him somewhat? By mini-series' do you refer to other sets of characters on the Disc, or different worlds entirely?

'Guards! Guards!' was the first Vimes book, but there was also 'Men at Arms', 'Jingo', 'Feet of Clay', and 'The Fifth Elephant'
The scientific method," Thomas Henry Huxley once wrote, "is nothing but the normal working of the human mind." That is to say, when the mind is working; that is to say further, when it is engaged in corrrecting its mistakes. Taking this point of view, we may conclude that science is not physics, biology, or chemistry—is not even a "subject"—but a moral imperative drawn from a larger narrative whose purpose is to give perspective, balance, and humility to learning.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby uc pseudonym » Mon Aug 08, 2005 8:14 am

Interesting; thank you for those titles. On that series, I also read Lords and Ladies, but now I have exhausted the local library's supply of Discworld books.

I'll soon begin Shadowmancer by GP Taylor, now that it is off the reserved list. We'll see what I think of it.
uc pseudonym

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Wed Aug 10, 2005 12:30 am

Shadowmancer I found very interesting but the author doesn't have the best writing skills at all.
I have just finished reading Three by Ted Dekker and all I can say is Wow! The book was so darn hard to put down that I read it in a day (of course doing other stuff also).
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby SailorDove » Thu Aug 11, 2005 8:22 pm

Just finished "Decent into Hell" by Charles Williams (one of the Inkling Gang w/ Tolkin & Lewis)

Had to smile when I saw "Voyage of the Dawn Treader" & Campion's name in previous posts. Enjoyed the former, should read the later.
Naruto Fanfic: Kokoro of Konoha by Sailor Dove

What is the power of the weak and the weakness of power?

What would the butterfly effects be with an OC with no chakra or ninja inclinations but a coveted special sensing ability? But that's not her only closely guarded secret. Psst, don't tell the hyper blond boy she hates ramen.
SailorDove

Postby kirakira » Thu Aug 11, 2005 8:39 pm

I'm halfway through X-Wing: Rouge Squadron, by Michael Stackpole. I got it at a used book store, and it says 'To; Tony Frome; Kenny *smiley face* Happy 12th Birthday' scribbled in pen on the back cover. *lol* Gotta love books with personality.
Love wins.
kirakira

Postby battletech » Thu Aug 11, 2005 8:56 pm

I'm reading the complete" Chronicles of Narnia " by C.S. Lewis again.
[img]http://i1118.photobucket.com/albums/k615/bluebattletech/amuro_ray_emblem1_zps864eefb8.png[/img]
Gundam fan for life.
battletech

Postby uc pseudonym » Fri Aug 12, 2005 8:17 am

Warrior 4 Jesus wrote:Shadowmancer I found very interesting but the author doesn't have the best writing skills at all.

I have to agree there]I have just finished reading Three by Ted Dekker and all I can say is Wow! The book was so darn hard to put down that I read it in a day (of course doing other stuff also).[/QUOTE]

I'm curious about both Ted Dekker's writing in general and this specific book. Can you give me a synopsis in the latter case and your commentary on the former?
uc pseudonym

Postby mitsuki lover » Mon Aug 15, 2005 6:15 pm

I am reading The War Hits Home:The Civil War In Southeastern Virginia.
I'm reading it to learn what the war was like for my southern ancestors.
One of the things I have found though is that every so often I have to close the book and check my genealogy files for names that appear in the book.
mitsuki lover

Postby uc pseudonym » Tue Aug 16, 2005 7:34 am

Celebration of Discipline by Richard Foster

I am about two thirds of the way through this book, and I have enjoyed it as of yet. It resonates with much of what I believe, yet still forces me to think beyond that and contains much that is useful in a very practical sense. Better yet, it includes quite a few recommendations for further reading. I've read about half of it, but I intend to explore the rest.
uc pseudonym

Postby Sammy Boy » Tue Aug 16, 2005 7:54 am

I am reading "UFO Religions" (ed. Christopher Partridge). From Routledge.

It's about .. er .. UFO religions.

Has a chapter on the Raelian Movement, which is what I am doing my class essay on.
Sammy Boy

Postby termyt » Tue Aug 16, 2005 10:46 am

Can Man Live without God? by Ravi Zacharias.

An excelent book for those interested in apologetics.
[color="Red"]Please visit Love146.org[/color]
A member of the Society of Hatted Members
If your pedantic about grammar, its unlikely that you'll copy and paste this into your sig, to.
termyt

Postby Ssjjvash » Tue Aug 16, 2005 2:25 pm

Warrior 4 Jesus wrote:Shadowmancer I found very interesting but the author doesn't have the best writing skills at all.

I was a little disappointed by this book because it built up in suspense, but didn't really go anywhere with it.
Now I'm reading Wormwood. So far, so good. Everyone's been saying it was Shadowmancer's sequel, but I haven't found any indication that it is.
If you can force your heart and nerve and sinew
To serve your turn long after they are gone
And so hold on when there is nothing left in you
Except the Will which says to them: 'Hold on!' ...you'll be a Man, my son!

Rudyard Kipling

Satan, bite the dust!Image

"You are not who your mistakes say you are; you are not the sum of your failures!"---Rev. Billy Miller

Proverbs 18:24
Ssjjvash

Postby Todeskreuz » Tue Aug 16, 2005 5:09 pm

Shadowmancer I found very interesting but the author doesn't have the best writing skills at all.

I totally agree...I was let down by that book >.>

but right now I'm reading Searching for God Knows What by Donald Miller -awesome awesome book btw ^^
"I cried out with no reply and I can't feel you by my side so I hold tight to what I know...your here...and I'm never alone"

"In the moon want to sleep want to sleep with the silence you heal me again, through the long and trying day you save me...in the moon I’m just veiled in the silver shining"

"Forever Love, Forever Dream, I can't walk any further, Oh tell me why, Oh tell me true, Teach me the meaning of life"

"Never change... that's what a fool would say in his dreams at the moment when you're facing the end of everything"

Adopted by: LeaChan-4ever

(\_/)
(O.o) Copy The Bunny Into Your Sig
(> <) Help Him Achieve World Domination...
Todeskreuz

Postby uc pseudonym » Tue Aug 16, 2005 5:30 pm

Ssjjvash wrote:I was a little disappointed by this book because it built up in suspense, but didn't really go anywhere with it.

Furthermore, the plot at the end was far too rushed. After finishing it, I feel he brought in two many elements that didn't contribute to the story. They were interesting, merely not good writing.

Ssjjvash wrote:Now I'm reading Wormwood. So far, so good. Everyone's been saying it was Shadowmancer's sequel, but I haven't found any indication that it is.

Such will occur in time. It is only loosely related.
uc pseudonym

Postby Sammy Boy » Wed Aug 17, 2005 5:06 am

Termyt - yeh, that book by Zacharias is great reading. Very interesting.
Sammy Boy

Postby Yumie » Wed Aug 17, 2005 1:39 pm

Right now I'm reading a devotional book by Ted Dekker called The Slumber of Christianity. It's very interesting-- it gives a lot of insight into why it is that Christians in general aren't as happy in life as God intends us to be. Some of us aren't even happier than non-Christians. The book is about how we lose sight of our hope for heaven as time goes by, and without hope we can't have true happiness, because real happiness just can't exist without hope. I'm not very good at giving sypnopsis's, but it's been very interesting to this point. It also gives a lot of background about Ted and his life; reading about what he was like as a child and a young adult gave me a lot of insight into how he came up with characters like Kevin Parson and Seth Border. Anyways, it has been good so far!
Yumie

Postby Technomancer » Wed Aug 17, 2005 4:32 pm

"Life's Solution: Inevitable Humans in a Lonely Universe" by Simon Conway Morris

From the back: 'Is evolution random, or is there a pattern?...Simon Conway Morris asks whether the emergence of life will inevitably lead to intelligence'

Also I'm reading: "Encoding Stimulus Information by Spike Numbers and Mean Response Time in Primary Auditory Cortex' by Israel Nelken et al. It's an article in the Journal of Computational Neuroscience.
The scientific method," Thomas Henry Huxley once wrote, "is nothing but the normal working of the human mind." That is to say, when the mind is working; that is to say further, when it is engaged in corrrecting its mistakes. Taking this point of view, we may conclude that science is not physics, biology, or chemistry—is not even a "subject"—but a moral imperative drawn from a larger narrative whose purpose is to give perspective, balance, and humility to learning.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby Locke » Wed Aug 17, 2005 10:52 pm

"Darkly Devoted Dexter"
The sequel to Darkly Dreaming Dexter is out!

Hands down the coolest serial killer (he only kills bad people).
Secret Bumping Club Member #10 - geocities.com/arphage/sbc.html

When you find yourself in the company of a halfling and an ill-tempered
Dragon, remember, you do not have to outrun the Dragon...
...you just have to outrun the halfling.
Locke

Postby Espoir » Fri Aug 19, 2005 8:28 am

Yumie, that book sounds really intresting! I'll have to look into geting a coppy.

I am reading Harry Potter (yes, slow reader) and loving it!

Captivateing by Staci Eldridge, the wife of the dude who wrote Wild At Heart. I'm barely into it, my friend reccomended it. Supposed to be very good.

Sin Eater by Fraince Rivers. Mom liked it, so I'm just into it, not enough to form any oppions.

Alot of random magizines lately, Oprah, Real Simple, Adbusters...

Genesis, about the fall.. Analyizing it..
To live with quiet discipline, a life defined by truth and honor.

We will extend grace and mercy as often as it is extended to us by God our father.

Faith will champion our spirit more than fear.
--Family moto
Espoir

Postby dragonshimmer » Fri Aug 19, 2005 10:59 am

The second book in the Sovereign Stone Trilogy Guardians of the Lost - Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman
dragonshimmer

Postby Azier the Swordsman » Fri Aug 19, 2005 11:51 am

Japanese for Busy People Vol. 1
Azier the Swordsman

Postby uc pseudonym » Fri Aug 19, 2005 9:18 pm

Frankenstine (yes, the original) This will probably take me a very long time to finish due to the manner in which I am reading the novel.

Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Actually, I am merely rereading some parts of the latter, with the perspective of the ending in mind. It actually didn't change as much as I suspected, though a few scenes do have more meaning.
uc pseudonym

Postby Kaori » Sat Aug 20, 2005 10:29 pm

Over the course of the summer, I have read the following books:

The Faerie Queene. I began reading this book quite some time ago and finally finished it. I found the symbolism and allegory fascinating, and it contains quite a bit of beautiful poetry.

Howl's Moving Castle, by Diana Wynne Jones. The movie and the book were both highly enjoyable, but in entirely different ways. Jones has a wonderfully quirky sense of humor.

The Golden Key, by George MacDonald. This was my first time reading anything by MacDonald. All of the stories in the book were good, but "The Golden Key" was the best of the lot.

Absalom! Absalom! by Faulkner. As all Faulkner novels, it was a difficult read, and I liked it less than As I Lay Dying or The Sound and the Fury.

Myths of the Norsemen, by H. A. Guerber. Along with the myths themselves, the book contains quite a few cultural details. The reading was slightly dry at times, but still an excellent (and very informative) read.

Vampire Hunter D (vol. 1), by Hideyuki Kichuchi. Pulp is still pulp, apparently, even when originally written in Japanese. On the plus side, the novel features cover art and several illustrations by Yoshitaka Amano. It was interesting to find that the first Vampire Hunter D movie follows the plot of the book fairly closely; unfortunately, Kikuchi's writing is not impressive.

Kim
, by Kipling. A worthwhile read, but not one that I found particularly remarkable.

Doubleday Prayer Collection. The quality of prayers in the volume is rather mixed; some were very good, but others were merely mediocre. I was slightly disappointed by its lack of a bibliography; this meant that I could not have gone to any of the editor's original sources for further reading, had I wished to do so.

Studies in the Short Story, by Virgil Scott and David Madden. This seems to be a textbook written by professors specifically for a course they taught. While the editorial comments are not of enormous value, some of the stories are very well-written. (The authors also included several poorly-written stories to illustrate the differences between popular and literary fiction, but high-quality stories make up the majority of the book.)
Let others believe in the God who brings men to trial and judges them. I shall cling to the God who resurrects the dead.
-St. Nikolai Velimirovich

MAL
Kaori

Postby TurkishMonky » Tue Aug 23, 2005 8:33 am

I'm saturating my brain with the chronicles of narnia for the 5th time since the begining of summer in preparation of the movie... i can quote most of it now...

I've also been speed-reading books on christian living (have gone through about 20 - 30), but i don't think that counts
TurkishMonky

Postby Scribs » Thu Aug 25, 2005 5:14 am

Startinga textbook on Western Civilization
"I concluded from the begining that this would be the end; and I am right, for it is not half over."
-Sir Boyle Roche
Scribs

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Thu Aug 25, 2005 5:27 am

Red by Ted Dekker.
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby uc pseudonym » Thu Aug 25, 2005 5:28 pm

Harry Potter and the Sorceror's Stone

For a class. It's a good class, but I wish we started with a different book.
uc pseudonym

Postby Technomancer » Thu Aug 25, 2005 7:17 pm

"Inamorata" by Joseph Gangemi. It's well written, although the ending is disappointing.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby Scribs » Fri Aug 26, 2005 1:49 pm

The Bible
"I concluded from the begining that this would be the end; and I am right, for it is not half over."
-Sir Boyle Roche
Scribs

Previous Next

Return to Book Corner