Is it just me...

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

Is it just me...

Postby Tenshi no Ai » Mon Aug 15, 2005 9:56 pm

...or is manga totally dominating the popularity of anime recently?

Maybe it's just became I'm becoming more a manga addict than an anime me (because seriously, there aren't many good anime as there used to be!) but as I look around... manga seems to be more and more popular among the crowd.

Walk into a comic store... LARGE selection of manga, but recognizably smaller size of anime :/ Yeah it's more expensive obviously, but for some reason they just don't re-order popular titles like manga *shrugs* Yet... well finally got to walk through and browse a Chapters, and there's several sections of manga throught the store. It's obviously more avaible than aniem DVD too but at the same time very popular!

I look at the the new Harry Potter books... readily avalible but too dang easy to find! Guess the popularity plummitted cause of the half price as before and can be found almost anywhere! Used to be quite a hard find with the last book. Though manga is getting more easier to find, the sales seem to be way better than anime and still chart-topping!

So what's your view on all this? Are once hungry anime fans finding manga better because of the extended plotlines, or are DVDs just too dang expensive for a whole 3 eps for a lot :/

Anime used to be so exciting and a lot of it still is! But recent series don't seem that amusing and "old" titles like Fruits Basket are still continuing (unlike the early ended anime).
Tenshi no Ai

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Mon Aug 15, 2005 10:00 pm

Here in Australia manga is very expensive and anime is about $30 a volume. Anime is more popular and much easier to find. Manga and anime are two different mediums. I enjoy some manga - The New Kindaichi Files mainly but also some anime - Noir, Last Exile. It really depends.
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby Yumie » Tue Aug 16, 2005 1:58 pm

Well, I know the reason I don't buy much anime is because of the price, but I don't know if that's it for everybody. . .

But get this!! Osaka and I finally get enough money between us that we felt OK aout spending $100 of it on Witch Hunter Robin, the box set. So we go to Best Buy where we'd seen it before-- and they had quit selling it! ARG! So I definitely know that manga is at least easier to get your hands on.
Yumie

Postby The Last Bard » Tue Aug 16, 2005 3:29 pm

Yeah, I buy a lot more manga then anime. Because not being too extremely rich I just can't afford it. But I like manga more anyway, so it's all good!

Later,
Aaron
The Last Bard

Postby Myoti » Tue Aug 16, 2005 3:53 pm

Manga is cheaper and easier to find for me, but I tend to do ones I know I won't be able to find easily (like Naruto and FMA). I'm also trying to find out more on the One Piece mangas simply to get the story--- I prefer getting the anime version for it.
Also, there's some I like one version of better. Like the Shaman King anime--- the manga version gets to be just plain disturbing sometimes...
Myoti

Postby The Last Bard » Tue Aug 16, 2005 5:46 pm

(like Naruto and FMA)
Umm...Hard to find? Do you have a Barnes and Nobles nearby? Or maybe a Boarders? Because they have TONS of Naruto there. Good luck.

Later,
Aaron
The Last Bard

Postby Kisa » Wed Aug 17, 2005 6:08 am

I definitley buy more manga than anime... its cheaper and easier to re-read than re-watching an entire series.... They also tend to cram more into a manga version than the anime version of alot of series ^^
Romans 12:2
Kisa

Postby ShiroiHikari » Wed Aug 17, 2005 7:09 am

Manga is most definitely cheaper and easier to find. I mean, we have like five shops in this town that sell it. Anime is easier to rent than it is to buy. 30 bucks for 4 episodes? I don't even think so.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Ashley » Wed Aug 17, 2005 7:24 am

I would say manga gives you far more bang for your buck. Especially with Viz's new Shojobeat line releasing for 8.99 instead of 10 (yes, it makes a difference!) and places like Suncoast having big sales on pppular titles, it's definately getting easier to feed your manga addiction nowadays. Shi-Hi is right, there are several more stores that sell manga (in large quantities!) than anime. If I see any anime nowadays, it's because I've found someone who will let me borrow it from them. :]
Ashley

Postby Mangafanatic » Wed Aug 17, 2005 8:35 am

I think manga is become more easy to buy because people who were anime addicts have now figured out they're poor. :lol:

No really, price aside, I just like manga better. It's usually more fleshed out and fulfilling. Perhaps that's why it's become more popular.
Every year in Uganda, innumerable children simply. . . disappear. These children all stolen under the cover of darkness from their homes and impressed into the guerilla armies of the LRA [Lord's Resistance Army]. In the deserts of Uganda, they are forced to witness the mindless slaughter of other children until they themselves can do nothing but kill. Kill. These children, generally ranging from ages 5-12, are brainwashed into murdering in the name of the resistance and into stealing other children from their beds to suffer the same fate.

Because of this genocide of innocence, hundred and hundreds of children live every night sleeping in public places miles from their homes, because they know that if the do not-- they will disappear. They will become just another number in this genocide to which the international community has chosen to turn a blind eye. They will become, in affect, invisible-- Invisible Children.

But there are those who are trying to fight against this slaughter of Uganda's children. They fight to protect these "invisible children." Please, help them help a country full of children who know nothing by fear. Help save the innocence. For more information concerning how you can help and how you can get an incredible video about this horrific reality, visit the Invisible Children home page.
Mangafanatic

Postby Kisa » Wed Aug 17, 2005 8:39 am

Yea manga is definitley the more detailed side of things. Anime just brings it to life in a way, lol, animating, and manga is the meat and potatoes of the whole thing ^^
Kisa

Postby Token Asian » Wed Aug 17, 2005 10:19 am

Anime is like a rich gooey chocolate cake while manga is like... um, pan-fried striped bass with garlic and scallions.

But I do know... manga has totally pwned American comics in stores. Heh.
Goddess fan, anime blogger, and generally insane anime club officer.

Token Asian's Anime Blog - Visit my anime blog for weekly posts on the new AMG! TV series and other anime-related things.
Token Asian

Postby Kami » Wed Aug 17, 2005 4:44 pm

I tell you, manga is becoming easier to find in one sense, but since our Waldenbooks moved out, Suncoast and BAM just don't get stuff in as fast. There are some good anime coming out but, like all of you have said, it's just too expensive sometimes.

Plus, now that I'm starting school again, I may not have time or feel like watching an hour to 3 hour show. Its more convenient to read a manga which takes about 10-30 minutes, before bed or something than watch a show all the way through. Sad. But true ;_;

- Kami
FKA snowangel kamui

The future has yet to be determined...

" OHMYGOSH. Maybe it IS THE PHARMACIST. " -Me

" I swear. Sony and Nintendo have been fighting for years. They're like two fat kids wanting the last cupcake on earth. " - Me

Please visit mine and Yeito's site :
www.akame.iwarp.com
Kami

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Wed Aug 17, 2005 4:58 pm

Original animes seem best so far, like Cowboy Bebop. Not based of a manga.

Over all, I like manga better. Only $7.99 for Rurouni Kenshin! (The art is better and no Christian arc.)
Shao Feng-Li

Postby Kisa » Wed Aug 17, 2005 9:26 pm

Waldenbooks is the best I think in its selection of anime and manga stuff ^^ Mostly manga of course... our store has two full rows ^^
Kisa

Postby kazekami » Thu Aug 18, 2005 11:03 am

I generally like manga better. The art is usually better. ANd I can carry it with me. Plus if the electricity goes out i can still read it.
Meow!

adopted by spirit-me-away and CephasVII

proud adopter of:
Azier the Swordsman, Sakura's Wings(kitty form), Sora(kingdom Hearts), Squall Leonhart(FFVIII and KH), Li Syaoran(Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles),
kurogane (Tsubasa Resevoir Chronicles) blessedsolitude, Animagus24, scarletfire818, LeaChan-4ever, teen4truth, Starfire1, Kura Ookami, 1BalloonPopper, Sheenar, Dunedan, Fantasy Dreamer, starfire, zelda, Erin

I like swords. They are nice and shiny and sharp. :jump:

I Love
^__^
( ^.^)
(\/ \/)
(,,)(,,)

T3h Neko
KITTIES WILL RULE THE UNIVERSE!!!!
kazekami

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Thu Aug 18, 2005 12:02 pm

One of the malls here has Walden Books. Then in the same area there's a Borders and across the street is the Barnes and Nobles. Lotsa manga to choose from.
Shao Feng-Li

Postby Mangafanatic » Thu Aug 18, 2005 12:49 pm

KisaTohru wrote:Mostly manga of course... our store has two full rows ^^

Ours too. Plus a ton of back stocked stuff over the shelves.
Every year in Uganda, innumerable children simply. . . disappear. These children all stolen under the cover of darkness from their homes and impressed into the guerilla armies of the LRA [Lord's Resistance Army]. In the deserts of Uganda, they are forced to witness the mindless slaughter of other children until they themselves can do nothing but kill. Kill. These children, generally ranging from ages 5-12, are brainwashed into murdering in the name of the resistance and into stealing other children from their beds to suffer the same fate.

Because of this genocide of innocence, hundred and hundreds of children live every night sleeping in public places miles from their homes, because they know that if the do not-- they will disappear. They will become just another number in this genocide to which the international community has chosen to turn a blind eye. They will become, in affect, invisible-- Invisible Children.

But there are those who are trying to fight against this slaughter of Uganda's children. They fight to protect these "invisible children." Please, help them help a country full of children who know nothing by fear. Help save the innocence. For more information concerning how you can help and how you can get an incredible video about this horrific reality, visit the Invisible Children home page.
Mangafanatic

Postby Ashley » Thu Aug 18, 2005 2:07 pm

The best store for manga I've ever seen was my hometown Waldenbooks. We had close to 7 or 8 bookshelves full--each shelf with about 7 or 8 rows full, and that's not counting the artbooks, how to draw books, statues, DVD sets, merchandise or untranslated manga they sold, too. ^^;; I miss Houston so bad...
Ashley

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews