Pokemon manga,heard of it, like it?

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

Pokemon manga,heard of it, like it?

Postby JezusBoy » Sat Sep 04, 2004 11:12 am

Does anybody else like the pokemon manga(at least the style)Im not talking about the cartoon, im talkin bout the awsome manga :rock: . Has anyone even seen or heard of it?
JezusBoy

Postby Nate » Sat Sep 04, 2004 11:28 am

Now then, which manga would you be talking about? There's two Pokemon mangas. One of them is more realistically drawn, where Ash finds Pikachu gnawing on electrical wires in his house, and it goes through all the gym leaders and Misty follows him like in the anime, finally ending after the Orange Islands saga. That's my fave. It has one of the best lines in Pokemon, when Brock and Ash visit Sabrina.
Brock: "Ash, methinks you have a weakness for cute girls!"
Ash: "Sure do!"
Both: "DUDE!" (they give each other a high-five)

Anyway, the other one is more cartoony, where Ash and Gary are called Red and Blue, respectively, and Green shows up as this cute little thief with a Jigglypuff (I think). In that one Sabrina, Lt. Surge (I think that's his name), and I think Koga are all working for Giovanni. I didn't like that one as much.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby AngelSakura » Sat Sep 04, 2004 2:24 pm

I have the first two of the realistic one. I like it, but it's not my favorite. It was the first manga I ever owned, though. I remember seeing the ads in the back... *flashback*

7-year-old AngelSakura: Wow! This Ranma 1/2 stuff looks cool!
Think happy thoughts.
AngelSakura

Postby Jasdero » Sat Sep 04, 2004 4:44 pm

I have the Korean version of a couple of the Pokemon manga volumes. They're pretty good. A lot better than the anime episodes... Can that even be considered as anime?
× s h i n i e s , y e s ? ×

does it not burn... LIKE THE SUN?!
Jasdero

Postby AngelSakura » Sat Sep 04, 2004 4:51 pm

I believe all animated material from Japan to be anime, but you may have a different definition.
Think happy thoughts.
AngelSakura

Postby Azier the Swordsman » Sat Sep 04, 2004 5:40 pm

I used to be a Pokemon nut. (When I was 10, 11) Now my only exposure is that I still play the games every now and then. The manga was okay, I never really got into it though.

On an interesting side note, I believe that the realistic one (the US version) was edited a bit, supposedly the manga artist drew the women a bit too well endowed and skimpy. It had to be changed for it's American release.
Azier the Swordsman

Postby Jasdero » Sat Sep 04, 2004 5:42 pm

AngelSakura wrote:I believe all animated material from Japan to be anime, but you may have a different definition.

lol. I was being sarcastic. : )
× s h i n i e s , y e s ? ×

does it not burn... LIKE THE SUN?!
Jasdero

Postby Nate » Sat Sep 04, 2004 5:43 pm

Y'know, I always thought that in that manga, Misty was a little too...how shall we say, stacked for a fourteen year old. There was one instance of light swearing when it was released in comic form that was edited when it was put in graphic novel form.

Nate

Postby Azier the Swordsman » Sat Sep 04, 2004 5:52 pm

kaemmerite wrote:Y'know, I always thought that in that manga, Misty was a little too...how shall we say, stacked for a fourteen year old. There was one instance of light swearing when it was released in comic form that was edited when it was put in graphic novel form.

I don't know whether or not you are refering to the edited or unedited version, but if you think Misty was "stacked" in the edited version, you haven't seen anything when it comes to the unedited.

And Jessie.... *shakes head*
Azier the Swordsman

Postby Nate » Sat Sep 04, 2004 5:57 pm

I don't wanna think about Jessie...but I did like the story arc with Meowth hanging up his Team Rocket boots. When that little Meowth says, "How come you can speak human speak, mister? It's cweepy!" I always wondered that.

Nate

Postby SnoringFrog » Sun Aug 14, 2005 6:37 pm

I've read a couple of them. They were good, but I can't find them anywhere now.
UC Pseudonym wrote:For a while I wasn't sure how to answer this, and then I thought "What would Batman do?" Excuse me while I find a warehouse with a skylight...
[SIZE="7"][color="MediumTurquoise"]Cobalt Figure 8[/color][/SIZE]
DeviantArt || Myspace || Facebook || Greasemonkey Scripts || Stylish Userstyles
SnoringFrog

Postby mai » Sun Aug 14, 2005 7:16 pm

Pokemon was the first comic I ever got [the one where Ash was, well, called Ash]
I don't have the graphic novels just four of the 30 pg. ones, what ever they are called -_-;
When I first got them I loved the Ranma 1/2 ads too, I even traced them ^-^
I thought it was better then the TV show, mostly.
My Website [online comic]

Do you find your self worried alot of the time about things that don't always make sense?

Are you experiencing any of these?
• Persistent feelings of sadness, irritability or anxiety
• Overreaction to irritations
• Loss of interest in activities previously enjoyed,
• Sleep too much, or sleep too little
• Unexpected loss or gain of weight
• Tiredness or restlessness
• Slowed movement, thought and/or speech
• Guilt, low self-esteem, feelings of worthlessness
• Inability to concentrate and poor memory
• Loss of motivation
• Feelings of hopelessness
• Suicidal thoughts and/or behavior
• Withdrawal from relationships, anti-social behavior
• Physical aches and pains that seem to have no other cause

If you have a few of the symptoms on this list, you may be suffering from a form of clinical depression there are many sites that offer advice and help.
mai

Postby Slater » Sun Aug 14, 2005 7:25 pm

I had one of the mangas a while back but it didn't really interest me.
Slater

Postby Felix » Sun Aug 14, 2005 8:13 pm

Sounds interesting. I can't find it anywhere though. =_=;
<.< >.> Is the more realistically drawn one called Pokemon adventures?
Felix

Postby Momo-P » Mon Aug 15, 2005 1:06 am

There are actually three Pokemon mangas. They go as follows...

Pokemon: Dengeki Pikachu
Known as "Pikachu Shocks Back" in the U.S., this is the particular manga that was drawn more realistically, and actually follows the anime storyline.

Pokemon Special
Known as Pokemon Adventures in the U.S., Pokemon Special follows the games. The story itself follows the adventure of Pokemon trainer Red, his rival Green, and the cute little thief-girl Blue. In the U.S. though, the girl and rivals had their names switched because NOA changed the game names. As the story goes on, Yellow also appears, as well as Gold, Silver, Crystal, Sapphire, etc. Unfortunately though, Viz only translated up to the end of the Yellow arc.

The Gold/Silver arc and up can only be purchased in English at Singapore online bookstores.

Pokemon: Pippi Adventures!
Known as "Magical Pokemon Journey!" In the U.S., this is what happens when Pokemon goes Shoujo. In this adorable romance manga, the pokemon can talk, and our story focuses on a love sick girl by the name of Maron (Hazel in the Dub). Unfortunately for it though, Viz never completely translated all the books...

There are actually more Pokemon Manga out there besides those three, but those are the only ones that ever made it to the U.S. Out of them though, I love them all. Pokemon Special is gotta be my fav though. X3
Momo-P

Postby Debitt » Mon Aug 15, 2005 1:17 am

^O^ I loved Pipipi Adventures! Peanut and his Charmander were so cute...I wish I could have read the rest of this. =O

Though I do admit, even now I find the Degenki Pikachu manga to be REALLY good as well. =3

[SIZE="5"](*゚∀゚)アハア八アッ八ッノヽ~☆[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]DEBS: Fan of that manga where the kid's head is on fire.[/SIZE]
Debitt

Postby Joshua Christopher » Mon Aug 15, 2005 10:16 am

I had collected all of the books of the Toshihiro Ono manga. Very good, I still read the Orange Islands graphic novel every so often.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/manga.php?id=2349

That would be it.
Joshua Christopher

Postby Nate » Mon Aug 15, 2005 10:24 am

Yup, Toshihiro Ono's manga rocks. If only they'd rerelease it without all the needless edits...I'm pretty sure that the Dengeki Pikachu manga is probably the most edited manga ever released in the US.

Nate

Postby Momo-P » Mon Aug 15, 2005 12:15 pm

Yup, Toshihiro Ono's manga rocks. If only they'd rerelease it without all the needless edits...I'm pretty sure that the Dengeki Pikachu manga is probably the most edited manga ever released in the US.

You got that right. In fact, I think the ONLY chapter that wasn't edited was the one where Satoshi goes to Mt.Moon with Ookido-Hakase and Misaki. *sigh* Oh well...yay for Japanese Amazon! xD
Momo-P

Postby Myoti » Mon Aug 15, 2005 2:40 pm

I can't remember which one it was, but there was this one I read that had an arc about a giant Haunter named "Black Fog".

He was this incredibly powerful Pokemon with a legion of Ghastlys with him. I recall Ash, Brock, and this group of trainers who went against him and they had this huge Pokeball machine they caught him in, only to have him break him. And I think there was a part where the Haunter swallowed the attacks from about six Pokemon at once.

Well, I just remember reading it and going "This is so awesome." It was also the first time I found a cuss word in a comic. O_o
Myoti

Postby SnoringFrog » Mon Aug 15, 2005 4:38 pm

I erad the 7th book in the "Pokemon Special" series, it was pretty good, now I need to read 1-6.
UC Pseudonym wrote:For a while I wasn't sure how to answer this, and then I thought "What would Batman do?" Excuse me while I find a warehouse with a skylight...
[SIZE="7"][color="MediumTurquoise"]Cobalt Figure 8[/color][/SIZE]
DeviantArt || Myspace || Facebook || Greasemonkey Scripts || Stylish Userstyles
SnoringFrog

Postby Nate » Mon Aug 15, 2005 5:33 pm

Myoti wrote:I can't remember which one it was, but there was this one I read that had an arc about a giant Haunter named "Black Fog".

He was this incredibly powerful Pokemon with a legion of Ghastlys with him. I recall Ash, Brock, and this group of trainers who went against him and they had this huge Pokeball machine they caught him in, only to have him break him. And I think there was a part where the Haunter swallowed the attacks from about six Pokemon at once.

Well, I just remember reading it and going "This is so awesome." It was also the first time I found a cuss word in a comic. O_o

That was in the Dengeki Pikachu manga.

And that word was edited to "Darn!" when the graphic novel was released, probably at the request of parents or something, I dunno.

Nate

Postby Myoti » Mon Aug 15, 2005 6:12 pm

That was in the Dengeki Pikachu manga.

And that word was edited to "Darn!" when the graphic novel was released, probably at the request of parents or something, I dunno.

Probably. I read the original version, so yeah, it was like that. But still, that one was just so cool to me! Not sure if I can ask this, but does anyone know where to find the scans to that one? (if I can't do this, just slap me)
Myoti

Postby Rocketshipper » Mon Aug 15, 2005 7:03 pm

Old topic ressurections. Isn't there another Pokemon manga topic around here somewhere?

I've got all 4 volumes of Toshiro Ono's manga, 7 volumes of Magical Pokemon Journey, and volumes 1 through 20 of Pokemon Special. A freind from bulbagarden who lives in singapore is helping some of us get a hold of the english translations for volumes 8 and on. I think my favorite of the mangas is Special, because it actully has a pretty good plot and some great action. A lot better than on the anime ^^. The Gold/Silver/Crystal arc had a gym leader tournament, where the ;leaders from Kanto and Johto battled eachother. It would have been so awesome if something like that happened in the anime. I think they've started the Emerald arc in Japan now.
Jessie and James, together forever!

AAML forever!

Colorado is EVIL!! Save me!!

Eternal Defender of Tracey Sketchit. If you are a Brock lover, beware ^_^

"Like the moon over
the day, my genius and brawn
are lost on these fools"-Bowser, Super Mario RPG

Confused about the meaning of the screen name??

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/RocketShipping

Go here and be enlightened ^_^

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHg5SJYRHA0

Click the above link...I dare you.

http://community.livejournal.com/ship_manifesto/87185.html

The best essay on Junzumi shipping ever ^^.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/Rocketshipper
Rocketshipper

Postby Kisa » Mon Aug 15, 2005 7:36 pm

I've heard of it and own some of it... hard to find now though... I have Electric Tales fo Pikachu and Electric Pikachu Boogaloo ^^
Romans 12:2
Kisa

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews