I met a christian manga artist...

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

I met a christian manga artist...

Postby ThaKladd » Wed Aug 10, 2005 2:47 pm

I was some weeks ago on a christian music festival here in Norway (Skjærgårds Music & Mission) and they had a manga seminar there every day - a "how to draw manga" course.

The man who held it was a Christian Maga Artist, and I talked to him a little bit. He was from Japan I think ( :sweat: ), did not speak good english - but he had a translator.

He said that he knew only one or two christian mangas... and that was something he had produced if I remember correctly. He was currently working on to projects that he hoped to get released (one was fiction, and one bible story manga) - but the christian manga bussines is not that easy, so he was kinda frustrated. He had tried it before he said, but it was kinda hopeless to make it work as he wanted... something 'bout money, greed, not cooperative christians and.. yea.. you get the picture :sweat:

I mentioned to him christiananime.com and that there were lots of great :thumb: christian webmangas out there... but he did not seem that interested somehow(maybe it was something lost in the translation, or me explaining badly - or maybe he only thinks quality - because he was a good - and probably known - artist) anyway, it was kind of strage... he was the expert, but I knew more than him of christian manga out there :lol:

ye, just a story I thought I had to share...

;)

hope that the next time he surf, that he googles "chrsitian +anime" ...
We in our foolishness thought we were wise
He played the fool and He opened our eyes
We in our weakness believed we were strong
He became helpless to show we were wrong
- Michael Card
ThaKladd

Postby inkhana » Wed Aug 10, 2005 2:50 pm

Hey, that's cool XD Do you happen to remember what his name is?

BOOSTER: Hey, No.1! Where's my cake?!
SNIFIT 1: Booster, Sir! There's a 70% chance the object you're standing on is a cake.
BOOSTER: What? THIS thing's a cake?

You have the power to say anything you want, so why not say something positive?
- Frank Capra

(in response to an interview question "Do you have a pet peeve having to do with this biz?")
People who write below their abilities in order to crank out tons of books and make a buck. Especially Christian authors who do that. Outsiders judge us for it, and make fun of us for it, and it makes Jesus look bad. We of all artists on earth should be the most concerned with doing our best possible work at all times. We of all people should write with all our hearts, as if writing for the Lord and not for men.
- Athol Dickson

Avatar by scarlethibiscus from LJ.
inkhana

Postby Shadowchild » Wed Aug 10, 2005 2:51 pm

That does sound awesomistsic
[color=indigo]ADOPTED BY:Nami, CephasVII, spectroking, Starfire1
ADOPTED: teen4truth, spirit-me-away, ky kiske, Sage_AlKahira, dragon's bane, phinny5608, mastersquirrel, LeaChan-4ever, Dytae, Tom Dincht, Jack Bond, Mega, meg, Celestra, JadeFox
PET AND GRANDDAUGHTER OF: Banana-chan
SISTER OF: girl ninja, Starfire1, and rusty789, Batosai [/color]

I'm looking for someone to quench my thirst - for all eternity.
Shadowchild

Postby ThaKladd » Wed Aug 10, 2005 2:52 pm

no, I do not remember his name... kinda hard :sweat: have to write down that kinda stuff...

edit: he showed me some of his work, he had finished some pages - and it really looked good and professional...
We in our foolishness thought we were wise
He played the fool and He opened our eyes
We in our weakness believed we were strong
He became helpless to show we were wrong
- Michael Card
ThaKladd

Postby Mave » Wed Aug 10, 2005 3:18 pm

ThaKladd wrote:
something 'bout money, greed, not cooperative christians and.. yea.. you get the picture :sweat:

Sad as it is, I don't doubt that and would add pride to the list.

The language and culture barrier is most likely the explanation of his reluctancy. But like you said, who knows? He might change his mind. *nods*
Mave

Postby inkhana » Wed Aug 10, 2005 4:19 pm

I hope he does change his mind. I would have loved to know who he is. XD

But yeah, Mave, I have to agree with you. It's a rough business as it is...being in Japan probably doesn't make it any easier.

BOOSTER: Hey, No.1! Where's my cake?!
SNIFIT 1: Booster, Sir! There's a 70% chance the object you're standing on is a cake.
BOOSTER: What? THIS thing's a cake?

You have the power to say anything you want, so why not say something positive?
- Frank Capra

(in response to an interview question "Do you have a pet peeve having to do with this biz?")
People who write below their abilities in order to crank out tons of books and make a buck. Especially Christian authors who do that. Outsiders judge us for it, and make fun of us for it, and it makes Jesus look bad. We of all artists on earth should be the most concerned with doing our best possible work at all times. We of all people should write with all our hearts, as if writing for the Lord and not for men.
- Athol Dickson

Avatar by scarlethibiscus from LJ.
inkhana

Postby Hoshika » Thu Aug 11, 2005 11:20 am

inkhana wrote:I hope he does change his mind. I would have loved to know who he is. XD

But yeah, Mave, I have to agree with you. It's a rough business as it is...being in Japan probably doesn't make it any easier.

^.^ ooh kitty

ANYWAY

I'd have to agree with that. Buddhism and the like are too highly promoted for an Christian Artist or any Christian not to be frustrated when it comes to sharing their faith, but at the same time I wonder which is more frustating being in place where people don't believe in Jesus or a place where people only pretend to? Well moving on so not to get off topic.

I really wanted to know his name or at least the title of his manga so I could order it, even though my Japanese sucks, and support a fellow Christian writer. As for suggesting Christiianmanga.com to him I can understand why he'd be reluctant knowing nothing about it and the the language barrier as already pointed out. Another thing I'd like to bring to the table is the fact that he's obviously trying to make a living from his manga so a recently born websites that feature free manga would not be a good career move. After all who would buy his manga if they can read it for free?
Hoshika

Postby Killua » Thu Aug 11, 2005 12:45 pm

I was thinking about attending that festival too (I'm a norwegian too :D)
Tried to find out his name at the festival's website, but couldn't find it. I could perhaps send a mail to those who arranged it if you're interested...

Edit: Alright. have sent 'em a mail. Shall let you know when/if I get an answere :thumb:
Killua

Postby Killua » Tue Aug 16, 2005 4:19 am

Alright, finally got an answere. His name is Takanori Kanari, but he's not a professional mangaartist. He work as a priest in a in Iwaki-city Japan. Couldn't find anything about him on the internet. However the one that answered my mail offered to get me in contact with him. I'm not really that interested, but if anyone of you are I suppose that he could get you in contact with him.

P.S. Hope my english in understandable :)
Killua

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews