Arina Tanemura's newest series?

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

Arina Tanemura's newest series?

Postby Momo-P » Mon Aug 08, 2005 6:42 pm

Ok...so it's not that new. *lol* But I've always wondered, how bad is Shinshi Douemi Cross? The women has absolutely beautiful artwork and some awesome stories, but I've heard bad things about this series. Don't tell me she's getting Yuu Watase on us. ._.;
Momo-P

Postby Mangafanatic » Mon Aug 08, 2005 7:22 pm

Yuu Watase? No, not that bad, but. . . yeah, it had some Shounen-ai undertones. Additionally, one of the characters seems to lurk in the school infirmary to fool around with some of the powerful males in the school. There is one characte that cross-dresses for unknown reasons. One female character seems to be romantically attracted to Haine, the main female character, and, lastly (as of the second volume) one male character is gay.

There really are some very beautiful things about this manga, themes of redemption, unearned love, and acceptance. Unfortunately, there's the flip side of this coin, as I mentioned above.

To me, even with the objectionable content listed above, Tanemura doesn't even boarder on Yuu Watase territory because Tanemura doesn't make a point of stuffing her objectionable content in our faces. Yuu gets her characters naked for no reason. When Tanemura does something taboo in her manga, it's generally illuded to, rather than flanted in all its disguisting details before us. I'm not excusing Shinshi Doumei Cross, but in my mind it doesn't hit the same level of offense as, say, ABSOLUTE BOY FRIEND. (Buuuuurn, demon manga!)
Every year in Uganda, innumerable children simply. . . disappear. These children all stolen under the cover of darkness from their homes and impressed into the guerilla armies of the LRA [Lord's Resistance Army]. In the deserts of Uganda, they are forced to witness the mindless slaughter of other children until they themselves can do nothing but kill. Kill. These children, generally ranging from ages 5-12, are brainwashed into murdering in the name of the resistance and into stealing other children from their beds to suffer the same fate.

Because of this genocide of innocence, hundred and hundreds of children live every night sleeping in public places miles from their homes, because they know that if the do not-- they will disappear. They will become just another number in this genocide to which the international community has chosen to turn a blind eye. They will become, in affect, invisible-- Invisible Children.

But there are those who are trying to fight against this slaughter of Uganda's children. They fight to protect these "invisible children." Please, help them help a country full of children who know nothing by fear. Help save the innocence. For more information concerning how you can help and how you can get an incredible video about this horrific reality, visit the Invisible Children home page.
Mangafanatic

Postby Ashley » Mon Aug 08, 2005 7:26 pm

Whoa, Osaka HAS been trained in Ash-kwon-do. And she's a blackbelt of summarizing. That's precisely what I was going to say.

I am a huuuuuuuuuuuge Tanemura fan. Trust me, you don't want to see how deep this fandom goes. ^^;; I'm still reading it, but it's definately a bit more illicit (and disturbing) than her other works, which are far better....both story wise and subject matter. Shinshi Cross is flat out confusing to me and very hard to follow.

I'd recommend picking up Full Moon o Sagashite, or maybe tracking down scans of Time Stranger Kyoko or ION--these are all far better, IMO.
Ashley

Postby kazekami » Mon Aug 08, 2005 8:12 pm

I agree. with everything said. heh I don't find the story confuseing though.
Meow!

adopted by spirit-me-away and CephasVII

proud adopter of:
Azier the Swordsman, Sakura's Wings(kitty form), Sora(kingdom Hearts), Squall Leonhart(FFVIII and KH), Li Syaoran(Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles),
kurogane (Tsubasa Resevoir Chronicles) blessedsolitude, Animagus24, scarletfire818, LeaChan-4ever, teen4truth, Starfire1, Kura Ookami, 1BalloonPopper, Sheenar, Dunedan, Fantasy Dreamer, starfire, zelda, Erin

I like swords. They are nice and shiny and sharp. :jump:

I Love
^__^
( ^.^)
(\/ \/)
(,,)(,,)

T3h Neko
KITTIES WILL RULE THE UNIVERSE!!!!
kazekami

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Tue Aug 09, 2005 7:24 am

http://cross.kefi.org/

Here's a site where you can find out about the characters. Yup, one character is unarguably gay. Tsujimiya Maguri.

They got some cool avatars there. Just avoid using the Maguri ones. ^^;;
Shao Feng-Li

Postby kazekami » Tue Aug 09, 2005 9:38 am

http://www.nekozuki.org/gac/

heres my site. I need to update it. I'm 3 chapters behind. Just gotta get some energy to update. Probably next week.

I don't like Shonen ai. But at least they didn't actually show any kissing or anything in the series. If they did I would not be pleased. I was not pleased with Usio. I have to say that it was obvious what she was doing in the medical facilities. In a previous series of Tanemura I saw something that implied something going on. However, it wasn't as obvious and I didn't notice it until I read the series a few times.

I think the overall story is extremely intresting. It's dark. It's complex. Plus it's typical Tanemura to pull some twist on you and make things not what they seem.

I prefer Full Moon wo Sagashite and Kamikaze kaitou Jeanne. But I don't dislike the series.
Meow!

proud adopter of:
Azier the Swordsman, Sakura's Wings(kitty form), Sora(kingdom Hearts), Squall Leonhart(FFVIII and KH), Li Syaoran(Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles),
kurogane (Tsubasa Resevoir Chronicles) blessedsolitude, Animagus24, scarletfire818, LeaChan-4ever, teen4truth, Starfire1, Kura Ookami, 1BalloonPopper, Sheenar, Dunedan, Fantasy Dreamer, starfire, zelda, Erin

I Love
^__^
( ^.^)
(\/ \/)
(,,)(,,)

T3h Neko
kazekami

Postby Ashley » Tue Aug 09, 2005 10:23 am

In a previous series of Tanemura I saw something that implied something going on. However, it wasn't as obvious and I didn't notice it until I read the series a few times.

Being the Texas-sized fan that I am, this intrigues me. Will you PM me or post it in a spoiler box or something?
Ashley

Postby Momo-P » Tue Aug 09, 2005 11:59 am

Well the cross-dressing I can live with, especially since it doesn't always mean anything. But the yaoi...blah. If they don't show any of it though, that's good. Though it would figure...the one I think looks the hottest is gay? ;_; Kinda sucky.

Though I guess I might look into it. Probably do some researching first...
Momo-P

Postby kazekami » Tue Aug 09, 2005 12:20 pm

Ashley wrote:Being the Texas-sized fan that I am, this intrigues me. Will you PM me or post it in a spoiler box or something?

Will do. I'll look up exatly where it was and then I'll pm you. Might take me a while to find it. THat way I can directly quote it.
Meow!

proud adopter of:

I Love
^__^
( ^.^)
(\/ \/)
(,,)(,,)

T3h Neko
kazekami

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Tue Aug 09, 2005 1:04 pm

Though it would figure...the one I think looks the hottest is gay? ;_; Kinda sucky.

No kidding. I was so disappointed. I'll have to download a few chapters... check it out. Nice site, BTW, Kazekami
Shao Feng-Li

Postby kazekami » Tue Aug 09, 2005 1:26 pm

Shao Feng-Li wrote:No kidding. I was so disappointed. I'll have to download a few chapters... check it out. Nice site, BTW, Kazekami

Thanks. =). I'm a big fan of Tanemura Arina. I also have a Full Moon Site.
Meow!

proud adopter of:

I Love
^__^
( ^.^)
(\/ \/)
(,,)(,,)

T3h Neko
kazekami

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Tue Aug 09, 2005 1:38 pm

What's the link?
Shao Feng-Li

Postby Mangafanatic » Tue Aug 09, 2005 2:01 pm

Ashley wrote:Being the Texas-sized fan that I am, this intrigues me. Will you PM me or post it in a spoiler box or something?

Could this perhaps be referring to the [spoiler]affair that Ooshige-san is having with the record company owner/producer guy?[/spoiler] Or are we talking about something else?
Every year in Uganda, innumerable children simply. . . disappear. These children all stolen under the cover of darkness from their homes and impressed into the guerilla armies of the LRA [Lord's Resistance Army]. In the deserts of Uganda, they are forced to witness the mindless slaughter of other children until they themselves can do nothing but kill. Kill. These children, generally ranging from ages 5-12, are brainwashed into murdering in the name of the resistance and into stealing other children from their beds to suffer the same fate.

Because of this genocide of innocence, hundred and hundreds of children live every night sleeping in public places miles from their homes, because they know that if the do not-- they will disappear. They will become just another number in this genocide to which the international community has chosen to turn a blind eye. They will become, in affect, invisible-- Invisible Children.

But there are those who are trying to fight against this slaughter of Uganda's children. They fight to protect these "invisible children." Please, help them help a country full of children who know nothing by fear. Help save the innocence. For more information concerning how you can help and how you can get an incredible video about this horrific reality, visit the Invisible Children home page.
Mangafanatic

Postby kazekami » Tue Aug 09, 2005 2:08 pm

http://www.nekozuki.org/fullmoon/index.html

Mangafanatic wrote:Could this perhaps be referring to the [spoiler]affair that Ooshige-san is having with the record company owner/producer guy?[/spoiler] Or are we talking about something else?

no. That one was a lot more obvious.

[spoiler]Kazekami Kaitou Jeanne volume 7 chapter 29 pages 78-83. Looks like theres some hanky panky with Chiaki and Maron. If you want to see the pages PM me.[/spoiler]
Meow!

proud adopter of:

I Love
^__^
( ^.^)
(\/ \/)
(,,)(,,)

T3h Neko
kazekami

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Tue Aug 09, 2005 2:49 pm

Thanks for the link.
Shao Feng-Li

Postby kazekami » Tue Aug 09, 2005 3:39 pm

Shao Feng-Li wrote:Thanks for the link.

np
Meow!

proud adopter of:

I Love
^__^
( ^.^)
(\/ \/)
(,,)(,,)

T3h Neko
kazekami

Postby Kisa » Thu Aug 11, 2005 3:12 pm

I love the art cause its Tanemura, but the characters are a bit suss.... lol
Romans 12:2
Kisa

Postby hana » Thu Aug 11, 2005 10:04 pm

i enjoyed her all her previous works but this one is just puzzling. the story is not the usual follow the innocent shoujo plot but it's kinda...just kinda dark. i just hope it's get better. so far, i'm just looking at the art cuz that's why i'm her fan ^-^
hana

Postby Kisa » Fri Aug 12, 2005 8:45 am

yea it is darker, I'll give ya that, I was trying to put a thing on it, lol....
I hear it does get better, I wish they would release it faster ><
Kisa

Postby Mangafanatic » Fri Aug 12, 2005 8:50 am

KisaTohru wrote:I hear it does get better, I wish they would release it faster ><

For real! There's only been seven chapters. . . forever! I'm going to forget what's even happened before this.

Mangafanatic

Postby Kisa » Sat Aug 13, 2005 11:43 am

LOL! I know, every time they DO release, I have to flip back and I'm like, where was the story again???? ><
Eh.. itll prob be liscensed one day... ^^
Kisa

Postby kazekami » Sun Aug 14, 2005 6:37 pm

I think I'm going to have to try to read the chaptes by myself that haven't been released, since I do have the Ribon. But when I'm not too tierd.
Meow!

proud adopter of:

I Love
^__^
( ^.^)
(\/ \/)
(,,)(,,)

T3h Neko
kazekami

Postby Kisa » Mon Aug 15, 2005 7:40 pm

You have THE Ribon?!
*drools*
Kisa

Postby Momo-P » Mon Aug 15, 2005 11:23 pm

You can order Ribon online yanno. ^^; Even Ciao and Nakayoshi. Anime Ten even allows subscriptions to them (though they don't carry Ciao unfortunately). =/
Momo-P

Postby kazekami » Tue Aug 16, 2005 9:52 pm

I buy issue by issue. You can call Kinokuniya. they ship anywhere in the US. Also I go in the store when I can go to Seattle.
Meow!

proud adopter of:

I Love
^__^
( ^.^)
(\/ \/)
(,,)(,,)

T3h Neko
kazekami

Postby Kisa » Wed Aug 17, 2005 6:05 am

*goes off to see*
Kisa

Postby Bianca » Thu Apr 06, 2006 4:10 pm

BAD THINGS?!?!?!?!? SDC is my second favorite Tanemura manga EVER!!!

Whatever you heard is a lie! LIIIIIIIIIIIE
Bianca

Postby Mangafanatic » Thu Apr 06, 2006 4:50 pm

Bianca wrote:BAD THINGS?!?!?!?!? SDC is my second favorite Tanemura manga EVER!!!

Whatever you heard is a lie! LIIIIIIIIIIIE

When we say "bad things" you have to know what we mean. By bad things, we're referring to a) cross-dressing b) homosexual overtones c) atleast one character who practices very loose sexual standards, ect. Having read the first, eh, volume or so, I know those things are in it. I'm not saying that that manga itself is bad in the sense that it was poorly written, but rather that it had some questionable content issues. ^________^

Mangafanatic

Postby Bianca » Thu Apr 06, 2006 4:54 pm

*sigh*

twice in one day I react without bains ><

Well, its written for 12 years olds, and its not that violent or sexual, but anti Homosexual types shouldn't pick it up, I agree.

Maora and Maguri are...ermm......something else?

Although I am starting to wonder of Maora is gay. He seems to like Haine...

any thoughts?
Bianca

Postby Mangafanatic » Thu Apr 06, 2006 4:59 pm

Bianca wrote:Well, its written for 12 years olds, and its not that violent or sexual, but anti Homosexual types shouldn't pick it up, I agree.

It's not that we're "anit-homosexual." Rather, we try to avoid things which promote things God says are not right-- such as homosexuality. :) Furthermore, I can't say that I agree that it's written for 12 year olds. . . What makes you say that? (I couldn't say for sure, but that would really surprise me.)

It is sexual when you consider that Haine walks in on her best friend who is obviously messing around with the student body president in the infirmary. That is sexual.

Mangafanatic

Next

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews