Takuhai issue 1

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

Takuhai issue 1

Postby Kisa » Sat Aug 06, 2005 12:28 pm

Hey did anyone get their Takuhai yet? For those who don't know, Takuhai is the Tokyo Pop free manga magazine that comes out quarterly. You can sign up free on their site ^^
So...What did you think of it? Did anyone take the manga quiz inside?
Let me know and lets talk about it!
Romans 12:2
Kisa

Postby kazekami » Sat Aug 06, 2005 4:10 pm

I got it a few days ago. I took the quiz. It said I was a dreamer. I was a bit disapointed with it. But it was free. I did like the one editors letter about the relationship between Mangaka and their editors. I'm hoping he next issue will be better. I did like that the paper quality was really nice.
Meow!

adopted by spirit-me-away and CephasVII

proud adopter of:
Azier the Swordsman, Sakura's Wings(kitty form), Sora(kingdom Hearts), Squall Leonhart(FFVIII and KH), Li Syaoran(Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles),
kurogane (Tsubasa Resevoir Chronicles) blessedsolitude, Animagus24, scarletfire818, LeaChan-4ever, teen4truth, Starfire1, Kura Ookami, 1BalloonPopper, Sheenar, Dunedan, Fantasy Dreamer, starfire, zelda, Erin

I like swords. They are nice and shiny and sharp. :jump:

I Love
^__^
( ^.^)
(\/ \/)
(,,)(,,)

T3h Neko
KITTIES WILL RULE THE UNIVERSE!!!!
kazekami

Postby blue elf » Sat Aug 06, 2005 4:20 pm

I borrowed it from a friend. I wasn't really that interested in most of the series that they previewed, but I did take the quiz and it said I was a dreamer too. ^^;
blue elf

Postby Ashley » Sat Aug 06, 2005 4:30 pm

I got mine 2 days ago. Well, let's just say I'm glad I'm not paying money for it. It was nice, sure, and I'll use it for layout ideas and pic references, but I wasn't really interested in any of the stories. And do ya think they like Princess Ai? :lol:
Ashley

Postby ChristianKitsune » Sat Aug 06, 2005 4:54 pm

I haven't gotten mine yet..*sob* and I signed up for it twice..on accident... lol...

I have seen the cover..and I think they like it because Courtney Love kinda had soemthing to do with the manga.
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
Web-Manga Hosted by: The Project
ChristianKitsune

Location: In my sketchbook of wonderment and puffy pink clouds! *\^o^/*

Postby mechana2015 » Sat Aug 06, 2005 5:03 pm

I got issue one at AX and have signed up for the rest... I wouldn't pay for it but its nice to see for free. I like the online features though. Anyone looked over I luv halloween yet... that looks bizarre.

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby inkhana » Sat Aug 06, 2005 5:16 pm

I got mine...it seemed okay. Admittedly, I haven't been over it thoroughly yet. I'll probably save a few things here and there for reference. ^^;;

BOOSTER: Hey, No.1! Where's my cake?!
SNIFIT 1: Booster, Sir! There's a 70% chance the object you're standing on is a cake.
BOOSTER: What? THIS thing's a cake?

You have the power to say anything you want, so why not say something positive?
- Frank Capra

(in response to an interview question "Do you have a pet peeve having to do with this biz?")
People who write below their abilities in order to crank out tons of books and make a buck. Especially Christian authors who do that. Outsiders judge us for it, and make fun of us for it, and it makes Jesus look bad. We of all artists on earth should be the most concerned with doing our best possible work at all times. We of all people should write with all our hearts, as if writing for the Lord and not for men.
- Athol Dickson

Avatar by scarlethibiscus from LJ.
inkhana

Postby kazekami » Sat Aug 06, 2005 5:54 pm

I'm glad we don't have to pay for it. And yes they do seem to love Princess Ai. It seemed to be the main feature.
Meow!

adopted by spirit-me-away and CephasVII

proud adopter of:
Azier the Swordsman, Sakura's Wings(kitty form), Sora(kingdom Hearts), Squall Leonhart(FFVIII and KH), Li Syaoran(Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles),
kurogane (Tsubasa Resevoir Chronicles) blessedsolitude, Animagus24, scarletfire818, LeaChan-4ever, teen4truth, Starfire1, Kura Ookami, 1BalloonPopper, Sheenar, Dunedan, Fantasy Dreamer, starfire, zelda, Erin

I like swords. They are nice and shiny and sharp. :jump:

I Love
^__^
( ^.^)
(\/ \/)
(,,)(,,)

T3h Neko
KITTIES WILL RULE THE UNIVERSE!!!!
kazekami

Postby ChristianKitsune » Sat Aug 06, 2005 6:12 pm

I can't even sign into the Online Magi..*siiiiiiiigh*
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
Web-Manga Hosted by: The Project
ChristianKitsune

Location: In my sketchbook of wonderment and puffy pink clouds! *\^o^/*

Postby Mangafanatic » Mon Aug 08, 2005 7:24 pm

Princess AI. A manga "inspired" by Courtney Love.

It's wrong on so many levels. ;)
Every year in Uganda, innumerable children simply. . . disappear. These children all stolen under the cover of darkness from their homes and impressed into the guerilla armies of the LRA [Lord's Resistance Army]. In the deserts of Uganda, they are forced to witness the mindless slaughter of other children until they themselves can do nothing but kill. Kill. These children, generally ranging from ages 5-12, are brainwashed into murdering in the name of the resistance and into stealing other children from their beds to suffer the same fate.

Because of this genocide of innocence, hundred and hundreds of children live every night sleeping in public places miles from their homes, because they know that if the do not-- they will disappear. They will become just another number in this genocide to which the international community has chosen to turn a blind eye. They will become, in affect, invisible-- Invisible Children.

But there are those who are trying to fight against this slaughter of Uganda's children. They fight to protect these "invisible children." Please, help them help a country full of children who know nothing by fear. Help save the innocence. For more information concerning how you can help and how you can get an incredible video about this horrific reality, visit the Invisible Children home page.
Mangafanatic

Postby Maledicte » Mon Aug 08, 2005 7:52 pm

I liked the MBQ part especially. Go In-n-Out Burger! *tee hee* I just got it 'cause it's free. Bisenghast looks interesting too.

I got the first issue at AX...oh and did I mention that I met Luis Reyes? Coolness!
Maledicte

Postby Kkun » Tue Aug 09, 2005 8:45 am

[quote="Mangafanatic"]Princess AI. A manga "inspired" by Courtney Love.

It's wrong on so many levels. ]

I'm just gonna go ahead and say what everyone is thinking:
She totally shot Kurt Cobain.

Anyway, I haven't gotten my copy of Takuhai yet. I don't particularly care but I signed up for it so it needs to get here before I go to rain down the hand of justice on the people at Tokyopop/Viz/whoever the heck put this thing out. See? I don't really care enough to know who produced it. BUT IT BETTER GET HERE...
Kkun

Postby Ichigo_89 » Tue Aug 09, 2005 9:06 am

Got mine recently. Open it up and WHALA, two yaoi manga previews. *pokes eyeballs out* @_@ It was kind of dissapointing. Why did they put all the stinky manga previews in it??! C'mon next issue, don't fail us...
Ichigo_89

Postby Ashley » Tue Aug 09, 2005 10:54 am

which ones were yaoi? I didn't even read them...
Ashley

Postby Maledicte » Tue Aug 09, 2005 11:26 am

it was on the actual Japanese manga side...."Legal Drug" by CLAMP I believe. (and there was this list of the "best" shounen-ai titles out there...they called it "straight guy for the shounen-ai"......>.<
Maledicte

Postby Yeito » Tue Aug 09, 2005 11:27 am

I was utterly dissapointed with this magazine. The only good previews in it were stuff I've already read. Like Lagoon Engine. And Legal Drug.

Yes I know Legal Drug is SUPPOSED to be shonen-ai but in what I've read of it so far... theres not shonen ai unless you count the part where kazahaya got like..'taken over' by a schoolgirl spirit and she told the other dude that she liked him while she was in kazahaya's body. o_o that was kinda weird e_e;

But I gues eveyone is entitled to their opinion.

But I wasn't that impressed with the magazine. I do hope the second one is better. o_o

Is it me or does anyone else think that Tokyopop has gone a little too... phsyco with the american made comics. I dont wanna call them manga cause manga pertains to Japanese. o_o But its like they're doing as many american comics as they can and aren't producing as much actual manga or manwha.
Yeito

Postby Kkun » Tue Aug 09, 2005 11:38 am

This magazine sucked and it sucked something awful. It was barely worth my time reading it and I only flipped through it. The sheer amount of pimping out of deviancy was amazing, between all of the shounen-ai and an entire list devoted fan-servicey anime. It was so lame. At least I didn't pay for it. That gave me some relief. Although, I guess I should mention that I'm not a fan of any of the genres of manga in it, since it was basically pushing shounen-ai and stylistically bizarre manga like I Luv Halloween. I'll read some Jhonen Vasquez from time to time but at least he's slightly clever compared to this tripe. I guess if you like the kind of manga presented, it would be better, but I found the comics boring, the quiz was stupid, the articles were lame, and it was a waste of my time. I wouldn't have missed much if it HAD gotten lost in the mail.
Kkun

Postby Yeito » Wed Aug 10, 2005 7:13 am

I think Kkun has pretty much summed it up! ^_^ :applaudes:
Yeito

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Wed Aug 10, 2005 10:56 am

*Kicks self for not reading this thread first.* Oopsy.
Shao Feng-Li

Postby Kisa » Thu Aug 11, 2005 3:10 pm

Yea the quiz said I was a dreamer, lol
I didn't like alot of what mangas were in there, especially about the shonen ai mangas... just at least know to stay away from those.... and that I luv halloween looks weird and the art is creepy.... also waaaay too much Princess Ai stuff in there, they need to add more Japanese manga, lol
I liked how they had alot for Sakura taisen and Lagoon Engine ^^
Kisa

Postby Mave » Thu Aug 11, 2005 6:43 pm

For something that's free, I wouldn't have high expectations.

I guess I'll check it out anyway after reading everyone's responses. I've gotten pretty curious.
Mave

Postby Kisa » Fri Aug 12, 2005 8:43 am

Yea, I'm glad I'm not paying for it.... it wouldnt be worth it, but its pretty good for free I guess.
You find a few jems in the mix of rocks......
Kisa

Postby rocklobster » Tue Aug 16, 2005 8:29 am

I guess I'm in the minority. I liked it, except for the overdone Princess AI coverage (Courtney Love wouldn't have gotten one minute of fame if it weren't for Kurt Cobain. What did he see in her?) and bragging about the people they discovered. But I'm curious, should the stuff the people they discovered do even be called manga since they're all American? Also, I thought Tramps Like Us looked hilarious. (especially when Sumire named that boy after her dog :lol:)
rocklobster

Postby uc pseudonym » Tue Aug 16, 2005 5:44 pm

I haven't really noticed this thread, but now I finally read it. All in all, it doesn't sound like something I'd be terribly interested in, except for one thing...

kazekami wrote:I did like the one editors letter about the relationship between Mangaka and their editors.

Could you elaborate or (ideally) reproduce the letter here?
uc pseudonym

Postby Kisa » Wed Aug 17, 2005 8:37 am

UC, you can order it here for reading online or getting the actual magazine in the mail....(http://www.tokyopop.com/takuhaionline/) its free ^^
Kisa

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews