D.N.Angel & Fruits Basket questions

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

D.N.Angel & Fruits Basket questions

Postby Momo-P » Sun Jul 31, 2005 12:15 am

Well the title says it all, so I might as well cut to the chase.

For years now I've loved both Furuba and D.N.Angel, but recently I've been worried about two subjects....

Furuba-
First off I'll start off with Furuba. I already know Momiji isn't homosexual, and most of the stuff between Shigure and Ayame is just to annoy Kyou and them, but that's not what I'm worried about. What I want to know is...is it ever really said how distant of relatives Kyou/Kagura, Hiro/Kisa, and Rin/Haru are? I love all these couples and own the entire anime series always hearing they were distant enough it was ok...but I still worry. I really don't want to own something with so much incest. x_x; Yanno?

D.N.Angel-
And now D.N.Angel...I've been meaning to read the manga much more quickly, but unfortunately I'm pretty dang slow at picking them up. For almost a year now I've have volumes one and two, but recently I picked up three...and I swear I about screamed. The dang Yaoi fans would always go nuts over Daisuke x Satoshi, but I always thought it was them blowing crap out of porportion like usual...obviously not. When Satoshi is confronted with the question of him possibly loving Daisuke as well...gah. It just really bugged the heck out of me. So does he? Or is this just something else?

If anybody can answer these questions I would be very grateful.
Momo-P

Postby Debitt » Sun Jul 31, 2005 12:29 am

DNAngel is the worst yaoi fangirl fodder I've seen in a while, and I've been following the series for a very long time.

In short, no, Satoshi is not gay. None of the characters are explicitly meant to be gay and though reading between the lines may lead some people to think that some characters are "that way" (namely Satoshi and Krad), there is no official support whatsoever for any of it. My best advice to you is

1) stay away from the yaoi fangirls/fanfiction/fanart
2) go to the bookstore one day and flip through a volume to figure out if you'd like to pick it up or not.

[SIZE="5"](*゚∀゚)アハア八アッ八ッノヽ~☆[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]DEBS: Fan of that manga where the kid's head is on fire.[/SIZE]
Debitt

Postby Momo-P » Sun Jul 31, 2005 12:34 am

Well like I said, I already own volumes one through three and love them lots! I even had my mom read through them to see if she found them too bad and she ended up loving them as well. Truely I want to keep picking up the series, but after I heard that, I was almost getting worried the those yaoi fans had a reason to be going nuts.
Momo-P

Postby Debitt » Sun Jul 31, 2005 12:46 am

:lol: I think you have little to worry about. DNAngel is a very clean series, and believe me, yaoi fangirls will go nuts over any little hint. o.o\ Oy vey, such a bother. Pay them no heed. ^^

Debitt

Postby Mangafanatic » Sun Jul 31, 2005 1:28 pm

I've thought a little about the apparent cousins love thing in Furuba-- but the Sohma family is massive. My opinion is that the term "cousin" is used VERY loosely. More for some family relation that's your age. Just my two cents.
Every year in Uganda, innumerable children simply. . . disappear. These children all stolen under the cover of darkness from their homes and impressed into the guerilla armies of the LRA [Lord's Resistance Army]. In the deserts of Uganda, they are forced to witness the mindless slaughter of other children until they themselves can do nothing but kill. Kill. These children, generally ranging from ages 5-12, are brainwashed into murdering in the name of the resistance and into stealing other children from their beds to suffer the same fate.

Because of this genocide of innocence, hundred and hundreds of children live every night sleeping in public places miles from their homes, because they know that if the do not-- they will disappear. They will become just another number in this genocide to which the international community has chosen to turn a blind eye. They will become, in affect, invisible-- Invisible Children.

But there are those who are trying to fight against this slaughter of Uganda's children. They fight to protect these "invisible children." Please, help them help a country full of children who know nothing by fear. Help save the innocence. For more information concerning how you can help and how you can get an incredible video about this horrific reality, visit the Invisible Children home page.
Mangafanatic

Postby Katharine Faith » Sun Jul 31, 2005 2:22 pm

I'm not really up on Fruits Basket, but I've been a fan of D.N.Angel since manga volume numero uno hit the shelves!

Regarding the question of possible shounen-ai or yaoi in DNA, I'd say that there's an argument to be made on both sides.

The character designs are pretty much tailor-made to appeal to the pretty-boy-gayness crowd, that's for darned sure. Satoshi is a very lonely, tragic figure, and in the way of all Angsty!Bishounen, he seems to have a tender heart underneath his icy "I Don't Care" demeanor. Daisuke, by contrast, has a warm, friendly, open personality, and his constant cheer and concern definitely prick at Satoshi's chilly BubbleSpace. Everything about them practically screams, "Opposites Attract!"

On that note, Dark and Krad seem to be opposite sides of the same coin, and as we all know, enemies that loathe each other will always end up in the sack together. Because two pretty faces just can't possibly hate each other that much. *rolls eyes*

That said, I choose to look at it like this: Yeah, poor Satoshi's lonely. Yeah, Daisuke's friendly (and persistent with his friendliness). Of course they're going to end up as friends, albeit friends that can't really hang out lest their alter egos try to murder each other. Personally, I haven't seen anything in the manga that can't be interpreted as strictly-friendship. Even Satoshi's "love" quandary could easily go in the het direction--shoot, who wouldn't absolutely adore cute widdle Daisuke? If I was Satoshi, I might end up (briefly) wondering if I was gay, too! :P

(Oh, all right. I suppose those two could end up as lovers...but only if Riku and Risa get run over by trains. ;))

As far as the boys' respective curses are concerned, Dark and Krad hate each other, and are never going to end up boinking. Krad harbors an obviously ingrained grudge against both Dark and his Tamer, and that sort of thing doesn't just "go away" because the grudgee has a pretty face. Also, I don't care how benevolent Dark seems--if it comes down to a choice, he will kill Krad, even if he has to go through Satoshi to do it. Not much opportunity for hearts and flowers there, I'm afraid.

My conclusion? If you're a yaoi fangirl, go to town. There are plenty of pretty boys and weird pairings to go around. If you're not a yaoi fangirl, go to town anyway. There's plenty of pure friendship and heterosexual romance to enjoy. :thumb:

(On a somewhat related note, has anyone here seen those ridiculous Dark/Daisuke and Krad/Satoshi pairing fics? Talk about weird! :eh: )
Katharine Faith

Postby Tenshi no Ai » Sun Jul 31, 2005 2:25 pm

The whole relationship thing in Fruits Basket is a little :/ (speically since all their last names are Souma!) But I try to ignore that part of it because the rest is just so darn good!

Yaoi fan girls are scary, at my (now old) school, a girl came to Japanese class wearing a "Make Mine Yaoi" t-shirt and her friend gave her a hug for being so proud of her -_- (No joke!)

But yeah even books like Juvenille Orion with the hinting at relationships throughout the whole thing (oh maybe that's partly why my friend likes it :/) I try to just "meh" it and read the rest.
Tenshi no Ai

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Sun Jul 31, 2005 2:26 pm

I know for sure that third cousins and one out can marry. I've also heard that (from Bible learned people) that cousins can marry. Its possible, of course,that I heard wrong.
Shao Feng-Li

Postby Katharine Faith » Sun Jul 31, 2005 2:29 pm

But yeah even books like Juvenille Orion with the hinting at relationships throughout the whole thing (oh maybe that's partly why my friend likes it :/) I try to just "meh" it and read the rest.

Same here, with certain unmentionable series. ;)
Katharine Faith

Postby Hephzibah » Sun Jul 31, 2005 2:38 pm

Shao Feng-Li wrote:I know for sure that third cousins and one out can marry. I've also heard that (from Bible learned people) that cousins can marry. Its possible, of course,that I heard wrong.

Cousins can marry... their children bear no ill-effects due to it. However, if cousins' (not married together) children marry, then that's when the babies have weird genetic diseases.
Hephzibah

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Sun Jul 31, 2005 2:42 pm

Ahh, I see. Gee... No wonder my family tree in Texas doesn't fork. XD j/k Seriously though, that's intersting. I'll have to look into that.
Shao Feng-Li

Postby Ashley » Sun Jul 31, 2005 6:05 pm

Not amused, Shao. :shady:
Ashley

Postby Kawaiikneko » Sun Jul 31, 2005 6:37 pm

ouch harsh.

Btw is DNAngel still running in Japan? I heard the mangaka started another series thats being published in NewtypeUSA (first manga to be published in America before Japan apparently) Maybe I'm thinking of another mangaka...
Kawaiikneko

Postby Mangafanatic » Sun Jul 31, 2005 8:23 pm

Ashley wrote:Not amused, Shao. :shady:

If a giant, Texas-shaped piano falls out of a window and smashes you, don't be surprised, Shao.
Every year in Uganda, innumerable children simply. . . disappear. These children all stolen under the cover of darkness from their homes and impressed into the guerilla armies of the LRA [Lord's Resistance Army]. In the deserts of Uganda, they are forced to witness the mindless slaughter of other children until they themselves can do nothing but kill. Kill. These children, generally ranging from ages 5-12, are brainwashed into murdering in the name of the resistance and into stealing other children from their beds to suffer the same fate.

Because of this genocide of innocence, hundred and hundreds of children live every night sleeping in public places miles from their homes, because they know that if the do not-- they will disappear. They will become just another number in this genocide to which the international community has chosen to turn a blind eye. They will become, in affect, invisible-- Invisible Children.

But there are those who are trying to fight against this slaughter of Uganda's children. They fight to protect these "invisible children." Please, help them help a country full of children who know nothing by fear. Help save the innocence. For more information concerning how you can help and how you can get an incredible video about this horrific reality, visit the Invisible Children home page.
Mangafanatic

Postby Debitt » Sun Jul 31, 2005 8:25 pm

Kawaiikneko wrote:ouch harsh.

Btw is DNAngel still running in Japan? I heard the mangaka started another series thats being published in NewtypeUSA (first manga to be published in America before Japan apparently) Maybe I'm thinking of another mangaka...

Yes, DNAngel's still running from what I understand. =3 I haven't heard anything about Yukiru Sugisaki's stuff being published in Newtype, though. o.o I'll have to look into that. (maybe you're thinking of someone else, because all of her other manga series are published by TokyoPop)

Debitt

Postby Katharine Faith » Sun Jul 31, 2005 11:03 pm

Yep, that's Yukiru-san you're talking about! Lagoon Engine Einsatz is the newest series from the mangaka, and is being released in monthly installments in Newtype USA. 'Tis very pretty, true to form. :thumb:

Oh, and regarding straight-line family trees, Texas isn't the place to worry about. Some of my hick relatives in good ol' Virginny have three eyes and can only speak badly-accented Finnish, as a result of rampant inbreeding!
Katharine Faith

Postby blue elf » Mon Aug 01, 2005 9:27 am

Katharine Faith wrote:Yep, that's Yukiru-san you're talking about! Lagoon Engine Einsatz is the newest series from the mangaka, and is being released in monthly installments in Newtype USA. 'Tis very pretty, true to form. :thumb:

I think I've read a bit of this manga in and issue of NewType that I bought a few months ago. It was pretty, but I can't really remember what it was about...lol

Katherine Faith wrote:Oh, and regarding straight-line family trees, Texas isn't the place to worry about. Some of my hick relatives in good ol' Virginny have three eyes and can only speak badly-accented Finnish, as a result of rampant inbreeding!

I think I resent that... :shady:
blue elf

Postby Nate » Mon Aug 01, 2005 9:38 am

I would, but since my dad was from Michigan, and my mom's from NC, I can't claim any stake to this state of Virginia (okay, I've lived here for a majority of my life, but neither of my parents are from here and I wasn't even born here, either).

So I bear no resentment at all. :P

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby blue elf » Mon Aug 01, 2005 9:54 am

kaemmerite wrote:I would, but since my dad was from Michigan, and my mom's from NC, I can't claim any stake to this state of Virginia (okay, I've lived here for a majority of my life, but neither of my parents are from here and I wasn't even born here, either).

So I bear no resentment at all. :P

Way to support your state!... :shake:
I was born here so I have no choice, but to defend my state's honor or something like that...yeah, that sounds good. ^^;

And so that this post stays on topic, I've only read the first two volumes of DNAngel and for people who've read farther how bad is the shounen ai content in the later volumes?
blue elf

Postby Yumie » Mon Aug 01, 2005 12:14 pm

In reference to Fruits Basket:

I don't think most of them are actually cousins-- like how Kisa calls Hatori, Shigure, and Aaya her "uncles" when they're not. It's just a term of endearment.

Beyond that, there is a possibility that they are second or third or fourth *and so on* cousins, in which case any relationship between them would be perfectly legal.

So those are the two theories I cling to. And if I ever find out otherwise. . . I'll just pretend I didn't.
Yumie

Postby Todeskreuz » Tue Aug 02, 2005 1:28 pm

I've only watched the first DVD of DNAngel and there's hints about the shonen-ai stuff but it's your choice to think that if it's not blatantly out there...

and with Furuba...aww its just too cute I ignore that hey all share the last name sohma ^^ but seriously I think they're more than just 1st cousins....cuz wasn't Kana's name Sohma as well? ah who knows...
"I cried out with no reply and I can't feel you by my side so I hold tight to what I know...your here...and I'm never alone"

"In the moon want to sleep want to sleep with the silence you heal me again, through the long and trying day you save me...in the moon I’m just veiled in the silver shining"

"Forever Love, Forever Dream, I can't walk any further, Oh tell me why, Oh tell me true, Teach me the meaning of life"

"Never change... that's what a fool would say in his dreams at the moment when you're facing the end of everything"

Adopted by: LeaChan-4ever

(\_/)
(O.o) Copy The Bunny Into Your Sig
(> <) Help Him Achieve World Domination...
Todeskreuz

Postby Kawaiikneko » Tue Aug 02, 2005 1:51 pm

I've heard there's more hints to shounen-ai later in DNAngel manga (anyone read scanlations and be able to tell us?) but I think the anime is very clean of shounen ai. Daisuke is just nice to everyone and Satoshi doesn't allow himself any friends until Daisuke. From my watching experience I saw them as friends, but you know how the yaoi fangirls can blow anything out of proportion... =_= If they can get HP characters together in their minds, they can get anyone. *shudder*
Kawaiikneko

Postby Tempest » Tue Aug 02, 2005 2:08 pm

I love both Fruits Basket and DNAngles and I can understand the worry of homo-ness in Fruba but DNAngles is actually a very clean anime.
I just ummm... well you see... ummmm... meow.
Tempest

Postby Debitt » Tue Aug 02, 2005 2:18 pm

Kawaiikneko wrote:I've heard there's more hints to shounen-ai later in DNAngel manga (anyone read scanlations and be able to tell us?)

The only thing that I can think of that's more "shounen-ai" would be the all male play that their school decides to put on, where Daisuke is cast in the role of the stereotypical princess and Satoshi as the prince - and I don't think Daisuke and Satoshi were terribly happy about that. (I might have mentioned it before, but if you listen to the radio drama version of that chapter, Satoshi sounds really unamused and monotone. :lol: ) Other than that, it really never struck me as any better or any worse than the rest of the manga. Granted, I made a serious mistake during my last run to the Japanese bookstore, so I have 2 copies of vol. 9 and 0 copies of vol. 10, so I haven't read the most recent issue, but I doubt that the series would go "ZOMG YAOI!" on us that suddenly.

Debitt

Postby Katharine Faith » Tue Aug 02, 2005 4:21 pm

:eyebrow: Um...I was kidding about the whole Virginia-hick thing. :eyeroll: Sheesh!

As I said, D.N.Angel doesn't get any more shounen-ai-ish than you want it to be. If you choose to believe that Satoshi and Daisuke and Dark and Krad are snugglebunnies4EVAH, then you'll see hints of that. If you choose to believe that the fab four are a mix of Angsty!Bishounen and Enemy!Bishounen--and nothing more--then you'll see plenty of that lying around, too.

*shrug* It's fine. I've kept up on the scanlations, and it's still a go with me.
Katharine Faith

Postby blue elf » Wed Aug 03, 2005 10:05 am

Katharine Faith wrote::eyebrow: Um...I was kidding about the whole Virginia-hick thing. :eyeroll: Sheesh!

I wasn't being serious either, but that can be hard to convey on the comp. :sweat:

Katherine Faith wrote:As I said, D.N.Angel doesn't get any more shounen-ai-ish than you want it to be. If you choose to believe that Satoshi and Daisuke and Dark and Krad are snugglebunnies4EVAH, then you'll see hints of that. If you choose to believe that the fab four are a mix of Angsty!Bishounen and Enemy!Bishounen--and nothing more--then you'll see plenty of that lying around, too.

*shrug* It's fine. I've kept up on the scanlations, and it's still a go with me.

Ah, yes the rabid yaoi fans are always around to twist....umm, well most things. It's especially annoying when you're trying to find a story on Fanfiction.net
blue elf

Postby Debitt » Wed Aug 03, 2005 10:19 am

Ah, fanfiction.net, breeding ground of ridiculous, baseless yaoi pairings. o_O; Gotta love that place, yes indeed.

Debitt

Postby Todeskreuz » Wed Aug 03, 2005 10:32 am

that place is nuts....but yeah if you wanna find a yaoi pairing go there but that's kinda off topic whoops ^^
"I cried out with no reply and I can't feel you by my side so I hold tight to what I know...your here...and I'm never alone"

"In the moon want to sleep want to sleep with the silence you heal me again, through the long and trying day you save me...in the moon I’m just veiled in the silver shining"

"Forever Love, Forever Dream, I can't walk any further, Oh tell me why, Oh tell me true, Teach me the meaning of life"

"Never change... that's what a fool would say in his dreams at the moment when you're facing the end of everything"

Adopted by: LeaChan-4ever

(\_/)
(O.o) Copy The Bunny Into Your Sig
(> <) Help Him Achieve World Domination...
Todeskreuz

Postby Momo-P » Wed Aug 03, 2005 4:18 pm

*lol* Well it went quite off-topic for awhile there, but thanks for the help guys. ^^ Also as mentioned by someone earlier, yes, Kana was a Souma as well and yet she said they had never even met each other in all their life, so unless it's really said "They're direct cousins!" Then you're pretty much left to believe what you want....and I really don't want Satoshi x Daisuke or incest, so ya...I'm not going to believe those. xD
Momo-P

Postby Kisa » Wed Aug 03, 2005 6:33 pm

Momo-P wrote:Furuba-
First off I'll start off with Furuba. I already know Momiji isn't homosexual, and most of the stuff between Shigure and Ayame is just to annoy Kyou and them, but that's not what I'm worried about. What I want to know is...is it ever really said how distant of relatives Kyou/Kagura, Hiro/Kisa, and Rin/Haru are? I love all these couples and own the entire anime series always hearing they were distant enough it was ok...but I still worry. I really don't want to own something with so much incest. x_x]

First, these I have heard are far enough apart for it to be safe. They may be cousins, but it is never implied they are that close. They are only close because of their zodiac curse that brings them all together. Its just anyone under the Sohma name can get the curse and so they could be very very far related. Its not even a big enough deal in the anime or manga to ruin it for you. I reccomend the series, youll be missing out if you dont get them!

Momo-P wrote:D.N.Angel-
And now D.N.Angel...I've been meaning to read the manga much more quickly, but unfortunately I'm pretty dang slow at picking them up. For almost a year now I've have volumes one and two, but recently I picked up three...and I swear I about screamed. The dang Yaoi fans would always go nuts over Daisuke x Satoshi, but I always thought it was them blowing crap out of porportion like usual...obviously not. When Satoshi is confronted with the question of him possibly loving Daisuke as well...gah. It just really bugged the heck out of me. So does he? Or is this just something else?

I think in this situation I got the feeling he just cares about him alot. Yaoi fans do blow this way out of proportion, and if you want it to be like that then its easy. I just think, and hope Im not wrong, that its innocent. I love the series and dont let that stop you from reading it!
Romans 12:2
Kisa

Next

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews