Magic Knight Rayearth

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

Magic Knight Rayearth

Postby Radical Dreamer » Wed Jul 27, 2005 3:41 pm

Ok, I saw some really old topics about this that didn't answer any of my questions, and I didn't want to gravedig, so here goes! ^_^

I've been giving a lot of thought to buying the Magic Knight Rayearth mangas. There's just a few things I'd like to know first! ^_^

I've heard the nudity is similar to that in Sailor Moon. Is this true on all occasions?

Also, is there any homosexuality in it? That's the one thing I can't stand in anime or manga...(Kamatari was an antagonist, so he doesn't really count! XD)

How much sexual content is there?

I'm not bothered by fantasy magic unless it starts getting occultic. Does that ever happen in this series?

Anyways, just a few questions I had! Please answer them whenever! XD

Thanks!
:dance:
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby Ashley » Wed Jul 27, 2005 4:10 pm

Before I answer, it's been a good year or so since I've read the first series, and I'm up to book 2 of the second arc. Just wanted you to know what my qualifications were for answering this:

I've heard the nudity is similar to that in Sailor Moon. Is this true on all occasions?

Absolutely. I think there are only 4 shots of it in total, and all of them are transforming magical girl shots, aka Barbie style nudity. Nothing to worry about here.

Also, is there any homosexuality in it? That's the one thing I can't stand in anime or manga...(Kamatari was an antagonist, so he doesn't really count! XD)

In MKR II, there are two characters whom I suppose you could stretch and say could be more than friends (Eagle and Geo, I believe are their names), but no, nothing outright. It's like the majority of manga today--two boys happen to be good friends and the rabid yaoi loving fangirl base proclaims they are gay. No, nothing outright.

How much sexual content is there?

Very, very little. As mentioned, the transform scenes. And the plot of the first (and a wee bit of the second) is around the pillar, Princess Emeraude, and her forbidden lover. But all you see is them holding hands; I think there might be a kiss or two in the second but no one tramples off to bed or anything. The other couples are even less than that. There MAY have been one or two off-colored comments, but I really don't remember any...just covering all my bases here. Beware, though, Tantra, Tarta, Alcyione, and Presea do dress rather skimpily, but I've seen worse in a fighting game.

I'm not bothered by fantasy magic unless it starts getting occultic. Does that ever happen in this series?

No. The worse it ever gets is that the Magic Knight's mecha are referred to as "mashin" or "gods", and they speak to the girls. Guru Cleft is the one who teaches them their powers, and one of the villians is able to summon monsters. However, it is never occultic or sacrificial or anything like that. It's less, I'd say, than even RPG games like Final Fantasy.

Overally, I really enjoyed this series tremendously and I'd love to add it to my library as soon as I can. I think you'll love it!

Feel free to ask me if there's anything else I can do for you.
Ashley

Postby Radical Dreamer » Wed Jul 27, 2005 4:22 pm

Thanks a lot for the info!! It looked really cute, so I thought I'd give it a chance! Next time I get some more cash, looks like I'll be picking this one up! ^_^ Thanks again!
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby Nate » Wed Jul 27, 2005 5:30 pm

Ashley is correct on all counts, as far as I can remember, and I say this is an awesome series. Definitely buy it, Kaoru. It has the best ending of any anime/manga I've ever seen. :D

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Kisa » Wed Jul 27, 2005 7:12 pm

I did/doing a review on these if you like to check it out!
They should be up soon.... lol
Romans 12:2
Kisa

Postby Sparrow Writer » Thu Jul 28, 2005 4:12 pm

It's a good series...one of my first expierences with Clamp. And one of the best expiriences. Go ahead and try it out!
"Ah, look, Kouryuu...the birds are returning north. Can you see? ...Kouryuu. Who do you suppose decided birds are free? They can fly wherever they choose...but if there's no branch for them to return to...they might regret having wings, don't you think? Perhaps true freedom...is having a home to return to."

~Adopted By~
Silvanis
Sparrow Writer

Postby Kawaiikneko » Sat Jul 30, 2005 7:45 am

aww mkr is near and dear to my heart... it was my very first manga ^o^/ I agree with Ash on all counts. Make sure you don't let anyone ruin the ending for you b/c that would absolutely suck...
Kawaiikneko

Postby Hitokiri » Sat Jul 30, 2005 6:36 pm

If this is of any assurance for you, I let my younger sister read the first series. Coming from a over-protective brother who get's overly concerned when she is watching Disney.
Hitokiri

Postby Aeolus21 » Sat Jul 30, 2005 10:49 pm

Yeah, Magic Knight Rayearth should definately be a keeper. This was one of my first series I've read\watched and I still highly recommend it. Just how Ashley summerizes it, this is a pretty clean series, although the ending of the first arc does hit you pretty hard. But it stands as one of the best endings I've seen in an anime.

Though as far as the homosexuality, only the anime version of MKR II has one of the main characters kiss a girl. Although when one watches it, the situation is pretty understandable.

If you ever go from reading the manga to watching the anime, there are a few noticible changes and added characters. Though both versions are pretty close to match.
Aeolus21

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews