Manhwa Disscusion Thread

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

Postby Mave » Wed Apr 20, 2005 10:33 am

Let's just make this a manwha discussion thread, rather than some club. Just because we participated in the discussion doesn't make us club members or anything (at least that's what I thought at first impression....<.< >.> "What? This is some club? *looks at title* "Ohhhh ok....whatever")

Apart from that, I echo what Ronin said in his previous post and double echo what Ash said.
Mave

Postby emersongreen » Wed Apr 20, 2005 6:34 pm

well....for everyone who thougt that i was making a serious statement when i posted those pics.....lemme just say that i posted that in a good natured, humorous way, not meaning anything harsh or anything like that............

yeah ik that it has pretty boyz ( excuse me for saying so, but what is wrong with a pretty boy? i don't really get this....all gals that i know don't like pretty boyz.....maybe that's why no one likes me.....i am too fair of face, and my facial features are too delicately formed..and my cheeks are more full than your average boyz..:(.... )

also, i was just talking generally about detail etc. this cannot include all manhwa for obvious reasons.....also i know that many manga have alot of detail but for instace, in many manhwas all noses are round....whereas in MOST mangas the noses are unrealistically pointy......that was just an example and it cannot apply to all of both genras

what sword was unrealistic?
the green guys swords were not even metal
:poke: :bang:
98% of the teenage population does or has tried smoking pot. If you're one of the 2% who hasn't, copy & paste this in your signature.
emersongreen

Postby uc pseudonym » Thu Apr 21, 2005 5:22 am

Thread moved. You'll note this means your club has been approved; however, the staff would support moving this thread in the direction of honest discussion of manwha, as opposed to a "club" per se.
uc pseudonym

Postby emersongreen » Thu Apr 21, 2005 5:56 am

OOOO great UC, thx for telling me......i will now go ahead and change the name to something more appropriate, other than a club.....it will now be called....

"the official CAA manhwa disscusion thread"
98% of the teenage population does or has tried smoking pot. If you're one of the 2% who hasn't, copy & paste this in your signature.
emersongreen

Postby uc pseudonym » Thu Apr 21, 2005 6:44 am

You've probably discovered by this point that users don't have permission to change thread titles. I have changed it as you said, though somewhat shorter.
uc pseudonym

Postby The Last Bard » Thu Apr 21, 2005 6:45 am

Ok, those pictures are AWESOME! Who is it? That draws them.
Because I've seen them before...
The Last Bard

Postby emersongreen » Thu Apr 21, 2005 8:02 am

mainly HTK
emersongreen

Postby Indigo_Eyes » Thu Apr 21, 2005 12:25 pm

I like manwha ^^ I read some manwha scanlations and some of the licensed ones. Scanlated ones that I read include Goong (known as Gung before--it's funny, but the eunuch is kind of....), Love SOS, and probably a couple others that I've forgotten fight now... Licensed ones that I'm reading are President Dad, Love or Money, and The Queen's Knight. I was reading Neck and Neck, a hilarious read, but decided to stop it due to the cursing in it. The amount of cursing in it might not bother others, but it did me...
All in all I really like manwha and I don't think it's that different from manga, but I think I might like manga a bit better still.
Indigo_Eyes

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Thu Apr 21, 2005 12:32 pm

Hmm... No matter how you put it, there still comic books...

Kill me, Kiss me is from Tokyo Pop, right? Can someone give me a quick review of it?
Shao Feng-Li

Postby mai » Thu Apr 21, 2005 3:48 pm

I don't think I really like manhwa more then manga but I've only read two, I.N.V.U and Under The Glass Moon. I liked UGM better except for a few things in it, then again it is rated 16+ so I shouldn’t have been surprised I guess. Any way hopefully the amount of manhwa at the book store shall increase in the future.
My Website [online comic]

Do you find your self worried alot of the time about things that don't always make sense?

Are you experiencing any of these?
• Persistent feelings of sadness, irritability or anxiety
• Overreaction to irritations
• Loss of interest in activities previously enjoyed,
• Sleep too much, or sleep too little
• Unexpected loss or gain of weight
• Tiredness or restlessness
• Slowed movement, thought and/or speech
• Guilt, low self-esteem, feelings of worthlessness
• Inability to concentrate and poor memory
• Loss of motivation
• Feelings of hopelessness
• Suicidal thoughts and/or behavior
• Withdrawal from relationships, anti-social behavior
• Physical aches and pains that seem to have no other cause

If you have a few of the symptoms on this list, you may be suffering from a form of clinical depression there are many sites that offer advice and help.
mai

Postby Indigo_Eyes » Fri Apr 22, 2005 5:15 am

Oh yah! I've also read all of I.N.V.U. that's out. Forgot about that one :sweat:
Indigo_Eyes

Postby uc pseudonym » Fri Apr 22, 2005 5:21 am

Shao Feng-Li wrote:Hmm... No matter how you put it, there still comic books...

Kill me, Kiss me is from Tokyo Pop, right? Can someone give me a quick review of it?

This is the best I can do, having never read it myself and not really being interested: http://www.tokyopop.com/dbpage.php?propertycode=KIL&categorycode=BMG
uc pseudonym

Postby soul alive » Fri Apr 22, 2005 9:50 am

i've only read the first two volumes of "One" by Lee Vin, i enjoyed them, and might get them and the rest of the series in the future. the series is enjoyable, especially if you're a J/K-pop/rock fan. Lee Vin also does the series "Crazy Love Story" which i haven't read.

Indigo_Eyes - you said you've read "Queen's Knight" ... how was it? i'm considering getting it and would like to know more about it than Tokyo Pop says on their site. thanks much.
-Sara-

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

A Cruce Salus, a webmanga. --- Status: Undergoing rewrites, currently offline

soul-alive.deviantart.com

"People say I'm strange, does it make me a stranger / That my best friend was born in a manger?" 'Jesus Freak' - dc Talk
soul alive

Postby Indigo_Eyes » Fri Apr 22, 2005 9:25 pm

soul alive wrote:Indigo_Eyes - you said you've read "Queen's Knight" ... how was it? i'm considering getting it and would like to know more about it than Tokyo Pop says on their site. thanks much.

I think that it's an enjoyable read]
the main girl goes out of the castle into the snow and these bad things attack her and the knight has to come save her. She blacks out, and when she wakes up in the castle shes naked under a blanket. The knight is in the room and she blushes like crazy and is mad at him but she obviously couldn't stay in her wet clothes so that's why he got her out of them. Since he obvoiusly didn't take them off with sexual intentions in mind and didn't try anything and nothing made him seem like that sort of thing was on his mind, I continued on, and there hasn't been anything else like that in the rest of that volume or the third volume.
[/spoiler]
Other than that, it curses sometimes in the volumes. I don't remember the "f" word being used (I might be wrong), but the other ones probably did come up at one time or another :( However, it wasn't enough for me to quit reading it (and I have pretty strict requirements IMO). Oh yah, there's this guy who shows up in the third volume that unpurposely looks like a girl and was mistaken for a very pretty girl by a guy. The guy was kind of awestruck by him--until he found out it was a guy. He was kind of disappointed and grosed out if I remember correctly.

If you need any more info on, feel free to ask :)
Indigo_Eyes

Postby soul alive » Fri Apr 22, 2005 9:38 pm

alrighty. thanks, that helps a lot. i'll probably get volume 1 sometime soon.
-Sara-

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"People say I'm strange, does it make me a stranger / That my best friend was born in a manger?" 'Jesus Freak' - dc Talk
soul alive

Postby unknown_girl » Wed Jul 13, 2005 7:05 pm

Manhwa looks pretty cool. I already had a book that somewhat teaches you to draw Manga and I bought a book today that teaches you how to draw Manhwa.
unknown_girl

Postby Knives » Thu Jul 14, 2005 1:29 pm

emersongreen wrote:ppl....ok.... IF YOU DON'T THINK THAT MANWHA IS THE COOLEST THING ON EARTH AFTER YOU READ THIS POST THEN SOMTHING MUST BE WRONG

http://img259.echo.cx/my.php?image=asellasdiel7qy.jpg
http://img259.echo.cx/my.php?image=beramode9uu.jpg
http://img259.echo.cx/my.php?image=carlos8wd.jpg
http://img259.echo.cx/my.php?image=christian21oq.jpg
http://img259.echo.cx/my.php?image=dieneramiel6jy.jpg
http://img259.echo.cx/my.php?image=embla9dc.jpg
http://img259.echo.cx/my.php?image=mariaesslin9uw.jpg
http://img259.echo.cx/my.php?image=oxide0012mu.jpg
http://img259.echo.cx/my.php?image=saladin7e02et.jpg
http://img259.echo.cx/my.php?image=mycurrentdesktopbymichelle840k.jpg
http://img259.echo.cx/my.php?image=agreian1tf.jpg
http://img259.echo.cx/my.php?image=azel9hf.jpg
http://img259.echo.cx/my.php?image=calintz3tt.jpg
http://img259.echo.cx/my.php?image=calintzj4xs.jpg
http://img259.echo.cx/my.php?image=mccomm16vg.jpg
http://img259.echo.cx/my.php?image=ruchielu0uj.jpg

lets not come to conclusions too quickly eh????!!!!!
what manga can even compete with this type of realism!!!!!!!!!
btw, if you PM me i can send you another 100 links with as much detail and coolness as these

so lets not come to conclutions about detail eh?
:rock:
:rock:

also UC, i intend this to be a manhwa discussion thread mainly, and to clear up the fog that hazes manga and manhwa

WOW beautiful avatar sunako!!!!!!!!!!!!!
that looks soo cool....where did you get/find it?????

Those pics dont look any better than manga stuff, in my opinion.
Knives

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Thu Jul 14, 2005 2:46 pm

More depends on the individual artist, really. But those pictures are most awsome.
Shao Feng-Li

Postby Kireihana » Fri Jul 15, 2005 11:49 pm

Lol Shao and I have already oogled over Hyung-tae Kim's (artist of Magna Carta, War of Genesis III, etc.) art in the gallery.

I don't know if I'd say that Mr. Kim's art is really manhwa standard, however. I mean yeah, I guess it does look a little different from most manga, but I think that's most likely the artist's individual style.

For me, when I think of manhwa I think of Snow Drop and I.N.V.U (never read 'em, but the style immediately caught my eye) - sort of like Japanese manga but more exaggerated. Longer limbs, more detail in eyelashes and lips, etc.

But really when it comes down to it, manhwa is really nothing more than Korean comics. I mean, in Japanese shoujo alone you have styles ranging from Fujii Mihona's Gals! to Yuu Watase's Imadoki Miki Aihara's Hot Gimmick. I'm sure there are as many different styles of manhwa as there are of manga or American comics.

All the same, here are some pics that form my impression of traditional manhwa style (1: I.N.V.U., 2: Crazy Love Story, 3: Snow Drop)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kireihana

Postby Kami » Sat Jul 16, 2005 11:03 am

Ah ! I love Manhwa ! I've read KillMe<3KissMe, I.N.V.U., Queen's Knight, Love or Money, I highly reccomend President Dad from Tokyopop! It has some of the best art that I have ever seen !

http://tokyopop.com/dbpage.php?page=product&productid=2598

By the way, I saw Magna Carta a long time ago, but I thought I was the only one freaking out about it XD! I LOVE THE ART.

-Kami
FKA snowangel kamui

The future has yet to be determined...

" OHMYGOSH. Maybe it IS THE PHARMACIST. " -Me

" I swear. Sony and Nintendo have been fighting for years. They're like two fat kids wanting the last cupcake on earth. " - Me

Please visit mine and Yeito's site :
www.akame.iwarp.com
Kami

Postby Kisa » Sat Jul 16, 2005 11:40 am

lol why haven't i seen this thread?
i have only read one manwha that I know of via scanlations and love it.... its called "Replay".
if anyone knows how to get the newer chapters that are out, can't do bittorent tho, let me know!
Romans 12:2
Kisa

Postby mai » Sat Jul 16, 2005 12:38 pm

A new Manhwa publishing company has started up http://www.koreanmanhwa.com/
My Website [online comic]

Do you find your self worried alot of the time about things that don't always make sense?

Are you experiencing any of these?
• Persistent feelings of sadness, irritability or anxiety
• Overreaction to irritations
• Loss of interest in activities previously enjoyed,
• Sleep too much, or sleep too little
• Unexpected loss or gain of weight
• Tiredness or restlessness
• Slowed movement, thought and/or speech
• Guilt, low self-esteem, feelings of worthlessness
• Inability to concentrate and poor memory
• Loss of motivation
• Feelings of hopelessness
• Suicidal thoughts and/or behavior
• Withdrawal from relationships, anti-social behavior
• Physical aches and pains that seem to have no other cause

If you have a few of the symptoms on this list, you may be suffering from a form of clinical depression there are many sites that offer advice and help.
mai

Postby emersongreen » Fri Sep 23, 2005 10:26 am

hey all, just checking back after being away all summer....last post 7/16, wow this continued a long time without me
emersongreen

Postby soul alive » Fri Sep 23, 2005 12:04 pm

Does anyone know about the release schedule for Queen's Knight? I have through 4, but 5 hasn't come out yet, and it's been a while... *does a quick check on tokykopop...*

ARG.. 5 doesn't come out till February. *stab, stab stab* Have we caught up to where the original Korean volumes are? Or are there other problems?

And just wondering: what do you call a manhwa writer? A manga writer is a manga-ka, but that's Japanese... is there an equivalent Korean term?
-Sara-

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

soul alive

Postby Wild Eagle » Sat Sep 24, 2005 2:12 pm

I just discovered manhwa this morning:sweat:. I have my eye on NOW and Chronicles of the Cursed Sword. The art for both looks pretty cool and the storylines seem interesting. Does anyone have more information on these two? I know Chronicles of the Cursed Sword is licensed by Tokyopop.

Also, can anyone recommend some good manhwa. I'm more of a action/comedy/historical person. Thank you :).
"Have mercy on me O God, according to your unfailing love; according to your great compassion, blot out my transgressions" Psalm 51:1

"Though you have made me see troubles, many and bitter, you will restore my life again; from the depths of the earth, you will again bring me up." Psalm 71:20

"An eye for an eye, will only make the whole world blind."- Mahatma Gandhi
Wild Eagle

Postby Kisa » Mon Sep 26, 2005 6:29 am

Has anyone else read Replay? I want to know if theres an easy way to d/l it ^^ Its so good and the art is gorgeous!
Romans 12:2
Kisa

Postby Kami » Thu Sep 29, 2005 3:37 pm

I suggest Now. It's really good. Another would be KillMe<3KissMe, President Dad, Demon Diary. Those are really good titles.

-Kami
FKA snowangel kamui

The future has yet to be determined...

" OHMYGOSH. Maybe it IS THE PHARMACIST. " -Me

" I swear. Sony and Nintendo have been fighting for years. They're like two fat kids wanting the last cupcake on earth. " - Me

Please visit mine and Yeito's site :
www.akame.iwarp.com
Kami

Postby Puguni » Thu Sep 29, 2005 3:53 pm

soul alive wrote: And just wondering: what do you call a manhwa writer? A manga writer is a manga-ka, but that's Japanese... is there an equivalent Korean term?

Manwha-ga. Not much different. Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if it were the same concept and that I was just transliterating it differently. XD
Puguni

Location: In a place where I can wonder why good grammar doesn't apply on the internet.

Postby DaughterOfZion » Thu Sep 29, 2005 4:00 pm

what sites show it
/ 人 ‿‿人 \
"Validation is for parking."- Steal Like an Artist Austin Kleon
I have deduced that your imagination has no coherence whatsoever.- Kyōya Ōtori
DaughterOfZion

Previous

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews