Fruits Basket #10

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

Fruits Basket #10

Postby avec_merci » Fri Jul 01, 2005 1:48 pm

SQUEE! I went down to the bookstore yesterday firmly believing that FB10 wasn't due out for another couple weeks...but there it was! Anyone else read it yet?

[spoiler]Hatori and Mayuko! Yes yes yes! I've been dying to see them get together ever since Volume 7 put the idea in my head. Hatori *needs* someone like Mayuko, I think: someone whom he can't see as a sweet innocent victim, who is capable of standing up and telling him what's what.

And it's official--Yuki loves Tohru! And from the coming-soon blurb on the back cover, it looks like Kyo will admit his feelings in the next volume. One of the things that I love about Fruits Basket is that it had one of the most even-handed love triangles EVER. I do have a Kyo/Tohru bias, but it's purely because I'm a rabid Kyo fangirl--otherwise I wouldn't know whom to root for, because they are both so sweet with her.[/spoiler]
avec_merci

Postby SorasOathkeeper » Fri Jul 01, 2005 2:23 pm

Yes I got this sevral weeks ago. Borders said that they wouldn't have it till next month, but I went in and there it was.

[spoiler] Yes Hatori and Mayuko would make a very cute couple.

But as for the Yuki loving Tohru thing...Yes he loves her, but he's not IN LOVE with her. Tokyopop messed up that. In the Japanese verison he says somthing different then "I love you." And in one of the future volumes Yuki admits how he really feels about Tohru, but he is not in love with her. [/spoiler]
SorasOathkeeper

Postby avec_merci » Fri Jul 01, 2005 3:54 pm

Now if only they will be similarly early with #11...

[spoiler] Yes Hatori and Mayuko would make a very cute couple.

But as for the Yuki loving Tohru thing...Yes he loves her, but he's not IN LOVE with her. Tokyopop messed up that. In the Japanese verison he says somthing different then "I love you." And in one of the future volumes Yuki admits how he really feels about Tohru, but he is not in love with her. [/spoiler]

[spoiler] Hm. Personally, I thought the earlier volumes forshadowed Tohru-love for both Yuki and Kyo--the last couple pages of #8, especially. But if Kyo can get Tohru without breaking Yuki's heart, that is fiiiine with me. ;)

Out of curiosity, how does that line read in the original Japanese? (Wishes she could read Japanese!)[/spoiler]
avec_merci

Postby SorasOathkeeper » Fri Jul 01, 2005 4:05 pm

I didn't auctly read it. I can't read Japanese eather, but I'm on a fruits basket thing and they read it and in the Japanese verison says...

Yuki: It's because you are
So much like the sky
Enough to break the heart...

Yuki: You are so very dear

There ya are!^^
SorasOathkeeper

Postby Jasdero » Sat Jul 02, 2005 4:02 pm

I must buy. I must buy. I must buy. I will buy.
Jasdero

Postby christianfriend » Sat Jul 02, 2005 4:19 pm

Yes I've read it! I loved it!! ^___^
[font="Lucida Console"][align=center]“The [color="Magenta"]best[/color] kind of [color="Magenta"]friend[/color] is the kind you can sit on a porch and swing with, never say a word, and then walk away feeling like it was the best conversation you've ever had.â€
christianfriend

Postby Yumie » Mon Jul 04, 2005 9:09 am

AAAAHH!!! MEJoIJHg ruhg wspoeifgoiajrtg hutraiue!

Hmmmm . . . sorry about that, couldn't contain myself.

[spoiler] I did NOT think that Yuki had it in him to confess!!!!! Wow he's so sweet! But I'm still reserved about it because I'm rooting for Kyo and so I hope that Tohru doesn't break either one of their little hearts. . . I would cry. . . . [/spoiler]

OK, beyond that, just wanting to ask that everybody be careful what they put in they're spoilers, because I always think it's just about the volume we're discussing and not future ones. Like, I'm such a huge fan of being suprised that I never even read the little paragraph in the back about the next volume. So please don't put anything that will spoil the suprises!
Yumie

Postby Cedahlia » Mon Jul 04, 2005 11:41 pm

It was so touching I shed a few tears. ^^ I've always been a bit of a Yuki/Tohru fan, because I really like Kyo/Kagura (someone to keep him in line! XD)

Gah, Akito...is so cruel. x.x

I can't wait for volume 12; I just read the summary on the tokyopop site.
"Not believing is letting each other down, that's how it is."

~Lacus Clyne
Cedahlia

Postby Cap'n Nick » Tue Jul 05, 2005 6:46 am

I love this series. Ten volumes in and things are still picking up. I'd wager it could clear twenty-five before it started losing steam. And the pacing and tone in this volume were superb. I remember several points where I became very conscious of the manga's manipulation of my sense of time, or noticed it shifting my mood in a very precise way. Some of the proportions bugged me, though. Was it just me or did half the Kisa pictures look deformed?

And Shigure! What is up with that guy? Everybody was always commenting on how he was "perverted" and "dangerous" but now these accusations are starting to pick up a little weight. In any case, I'm looking forward to finding out more about him. I'm still not sure, but I think he's either going to end up saving the Sohmas, or destroying them.
Cap'n Nick

Postby Doubleshadow » Tue Jul 05, 2005 10:16 am

[spoiler] Shigure! That love vulture! XD Guh, he is exactly why charm is deceitful. I like the side stories, like the one with Mayu and Hatori, but I like the main story better. I wonder when Kagura will get back in the picture? And Hiro can't say no to Kisa! That's fantastic! XD [/spoiler]
[color="Red"]As a man thinks in his heart, so is he. - Proverbs 23:7[/color]

The Sundries
Robin: "If we close our eyes, we can't see anything."
Batman: "A sound observation, Robin."
Doubleshadow

Postby SorasOathkeeper » Tue Jul 05, 2005 9:16 pm

It's been anounced that there will be 22 volumes. So far in Japan thers been 17 volumes released.

Doubleshadow wrote:[spoiler] Shigure! That love vulture! XD Guh, he is exactly why charm is deceitful. I like the side stories, like the one with Mayu and Hatori, but I like the main story better. I wonder when Kagura will get back in the picture? And Hiro can't say no to Kisa! That's fantastic! XD [/spoiler]

[spoiler] Kagura will apear in the next volume. [/spoiler]
SorasOathkeeper

Postby Nate » Wed Jul 06, 2005 10:18 am

Meedly mee! I'm The Cheat!

Okay, not really.

Well, I haven't read this particular volume yet (I only have up to nine and I haven't even read nine yet), but as the resident Furuba sage I figured I'd throw in my comments. ^^

[SPOILER]Sora is correct, Yuki doesn't love Tohru in that way. He thinks of her more like a mother. Oh, and Cap'n, you think Shigure is perverted and devious now? You don't even know the half of it, pal. :D[/SPOILER]

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Cedahlia » Wed Jul 06, 2005 8:25 pm

[spoiler] I know. T_T I used to like Shigure, until I found out everything about him and Akito and such. [/spoiler]

Only 22 volumes? @_@ For some reason I thought it would be longer...at least, I wish it could be longer, since it is such a wonderful story. ^^ Hopefully some other works by Natsuki Takaya will be released here.
"Not believing is letting each other down, that's how it is."

~Lacus Clyne
Cedahlia

Postby Ashley » Wed Jul 06, 2005 9:06 pm

ONLY 22! Do you realize that's 220 dollars for ONE series? Good heavens!
Ashley

Postby Sai » Thu Jul 07, 2005 5:51 pm

I hate how much manga costs. Bleehh
Sai

Postby avec_merci » Fri Jul 08, 2005 9:10 am

Cedahlia wrote:[spoiler] I know. T_T I used to like Shigure, until I found out everything about him and Akito and such. [/spoiler]

Only 22 volumes? @_@ For some reason I thought it would be longer...at least, I wish it could be longer, since it is such a wonderful story. ^^ Hopefully some other works by Natsuki Takaya will be released here.

Shigure is one of those characters that you like but you don't like, isn't he? I do really wish we could find out what he's doing with Rin already! (My theory is that he has some sort of secret plan to break the curse, and it involves Byzantine manipulations of everyone, including and especially Akito and Tohru.)

(Though with the hints people are dropping, I'm now suspecting all the kids of being his secret love children, or something... ;) )
avec_merci

Postby Nate » Fri Jul 08, 2005 10:15 am

avec_merci wrote:(My theory is that he has some sort of secret plan to break the curse, and it involves Byzantine manipulations of everyone, including and especially Akito and Tohru.)

[SPOILER]Actually, a cure for the curse has already been found. I won't say anything more, though, but rest assured you're all in for a surprise. ]

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Doubleshadow » Sat Jul 09, 2005 11:03 am

22 Volumes?!!! And I thought Inuyasha was the manga series that wouldn't die! (Oh, I'm in trouble now...)
[color="Red"]As a man thinks in his heart, so is he. - Proverbs 23:7[/color]

The Sundries
Robin: "If we close our eyes, we can't see anything."
Batman: "A sound observation, Robin."
Doubleshadow

Postby c-girl » Sat Jul 09, 2005 11:27 am

Doubleshadow wrote:22 Volumes?!!! And I thought Inuyasha was the manga series that wouldn't die! (Oh, I'm in trouble now...)

>o.0< Ugh.. Both Inu-Yasha and Ranma 1/2 is the two series that'll never die!! Ranma 1/2 has been coming out with books since I was like 10 years old!

Anyhoo. >^.^< I loved the 10th volume! The suspense is so great. Usually I don't like suspense and nearly have a heart attack. But this is a good suspense! >^^<; Lol!

Shigure is very funny, but he's starting to seem like a bad guy now.. >_ _< *sigh* If so.. That's okay. >^^< I think it's pretty cool that Furuba is going to have so many volumes. But I'm just as amazed as Ashley... 220 dollars!!!! >0.0< At least it spread out over the months ya know. So it's not like we spend all of our money all at once. >^.^<
I live to love and love to live! >^.^<
ImageImage
I am part of The No Group.. Group.. >"<.. >0.o<
~Real guys go for real down to Mars girls ~ "Roses" by Outkast
c-girl

Location: Omg! It's a flying bird!!! *runs away while you're distracted*

Postby Kawaiikneko » Sat Jul 09, 2005 2:38 pm

Ahhh I loooved the ending scene, though I was a bit confused as to whether or not Yuki was talking at the very end or speaking out loud.

I'm also pleasantly surprised to see a darker side of Shigure *cackle* I love manipulative characters.

Also, as this is only the book 10 thread, can those of you who've read farther please refrain from dropping hint spoilers of later in the series? Even if they're in spoiler boxes, the only spoilers in this thread should be from volume 10 I think. Its kinda annoying to think you're gonna read a spoiler you already know from book 10 and get something from book 15 (or so).

and entirely off subject... Inuyasha has 40 volumes and Takahashi is saying she has about 100 more chapters in mind XD
Kawaiikneko

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews