Megatokyo

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

Megatokyo

Postby Sephiroth » Mon Jul 04, 2005 5:53 pm

One of my friends recently showed me some megatokyo webmanga, and i must say i'm hooked, does anyone else here like Megatokyo? its hte first webmanga i've read so far, the writers have a really good balance of manga/anime/gamer in-jokes and stuff that would appeal to random fans.

people who are interested the site is:

http://www.megatokyo.com/
Largo (Megatokyo): "Its this thing... and its like, cool... and it does things... cool things!"

Ph34r t3h Cu73 0n3z!
Sephiroth

Postby Hephzibah » Mon Jul 04, 2005 6:35 pm

I enjoy Megatokyo; though lately it just seems to be going nowhere. I prefered it with the Rent-a-zilla's and 'Cool Things'. Anyway, perhaps this would be better in the manga section.
Hephzibah

Postby Sephiroth » Tue Jul 05, 2005 10:59 am

oops yeah, i posted in the wrong place, lol......
Largo (Megatokyo): "Its this thing... and its like, cool... and it does things... cool things!"

Ph34r t3h Cu73 0n3z!
Sephiroth

Postby Nate » Tue Jul 05, 2005 11:15 am

Megatokyo sucks now.

I liked it better when it was a four-panel one-shot comic strip, but this full page format makes it totally boring. Largo, my favorite character because he's so much like me, is reduced to a side story.

The story is dragging. It's almost like Dragonball Z in that it takes twenty pages to do anything.

I bought the first two volumes of the paper format and enjoyed them, but I didn't like the third much, and I don't think I'll be buying the fourth.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Hephzibah » Tue Jul 05, 2005 6:22 pm

I think its sad that almost EVERY SINGLE CHARACTER has a love interest! I think someone has been playing too many dating-games...
Hephzibah

Postby Arnobius » Tue Jul 05, 2005 6:28 pm

I agree with Kaemmerite... it was good, before Rodney split and Fred took over the whole comic. I haven't read it in over a month now... all the funny stuff (a Tokyo based on a Westerner's stereotypes) is replaced by a sappy plotless mess...

Chapter 3 was the last good one...
Arnobius

Postby Raiden no Kishi » Tue Jul 05, 2005 6:46 pm

I don't know what all the complaining is about. I love the current MT. In the earliest stages, it was just another gaming comic...

.rai//
[raiden's liveJournal]

[color="Indigo"]"I believe whatever doesn't kill you simply makes you . . . stranger."[/color]

Strollin' in at dawn, wakin' up at noon's gonna catch up to me soon
'Just sleep when you're dead' is what I said 'cause I'm jumpin' off the moon
Raiden no Kishi

Location: Ticking away/The hours that make up the dull day . . .

Postby Arnobius » Tue Jul 05, 2005 6:56 pm

Raiden no Kishi wrote:I don't know what all the complaining is about. I love the current MT. In the earliest stages, it was just another gaming comic...

.rai//

It was FUNNY then. It's not even worth typing in the URL nowadays

Gamemu, the berserking Ping, the rampaging monsters that everyone else ignored and took as common occurances... that was funny. That's my opinion anyway...
Arnobius

Postby Hephzibah » Tue Jul 05, 2005 6:59 pm

I agree with you AH. Also the mecha, Rent-a-Zilla... what was the visa that Largo managed to get into the country on? It has something to do with fighting...
Hephzibah

Postby Arnobius » Tue Jul 05, 2005 7:03 pm

Talame wrote:I agree with you AH. Also the mecha, Rent-a-Zilla... what was the visa that Largo managed to get into the country on? It has something to do with fighting...

Yeah, defeating Junpei in Mortal Kombat. They had such awful puns back then
Arnobius

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Tue Jul 05, 2005 7:56 pm

i read a fair amount of it ^^ i liked it
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby Locke » Tue Jul 05, 2005 8:00 pm

Largo was my hero... he's still around but DANG.
Megatokyo was awsome ( Heck, I even ordered a t-shirt and the Ninj4 hoodie!!)

Megatokyo started me on the webcomic addiction.
Now...I barely stop by PA or Apple Geeks...
Secret Bumping Club Member #10 - geocities.com/arphage/sbc.html

When you find yourself in the company of a halfling and an ill-tempered
Dragon, remember, you do not have to outrun the Dragon...
...you just have to outrun the halfling.
Locke

Postby yukinon » Tue Jul 05, 2005 8:04 pm

I miss the old Megatokyo. Largo strangling Piro with airplane headphones and beating a ninja to gain access into the country...now THAT was good stuff. I don't even read it anymore. It's a shame, too, I wanted the "Fear the Cute Ones" shirt. I even bought the first volume, but then sold it....somewhere.

I loved As If! for a while, but it is now over. :waah!: Some other good stuff is Count Your Sheep and What I Learned Today. None are manga, but still good webcomics.

(http://www.asifcomic.com, http://www.countyoursheep.com, http://www.dangerousthings.net/wilt)
9&&|(=|()v&
yukinon

Postby Arnobius » Tue Jul 05, 2005 8:16 pm

There are a few good ones I like, but since I don't want to get busted by the mods, I'll refrain from mentioning them...
Arnobius

Postby Lynx » Tue Jul 05, 2005 9:42 pm

i love megatokyo... i've read the first 2 volumes in print. my friend lent me the 3rd so i'll read that as soon as i catch up on my fruits basket. i didnt mind the transition from 4 panel comic to manga style, and i must say, i'm a big fan of what i've read so far.
In my heart's sequestered chambers
Lie truths stripped of poet's gloss...
Lynx

Postby Ashley » Tue Jul 05, 2005 9:45 pm

I'm not sure this could really qualify as manga, but I'm moving it anyway.

I for one sorely miss the old MT. I used to love it. Largo made me laugh so hard I cried. After book 2 (end of book 1, really) I started to get very confused as to what was actually going on...and really just lost interest completely.
Ashley

Postby Cap'n Nick » Wed Jul 06, 2005 7:33 am

I actually like the new Megatokyo a lot more. Zany gamer strips are a dime a dozen, but you have to look a bit for this particular mix of the cute, weird and dramatic.
Cap'n Nick

Postby yukinon » Wed Jul 06, 2005 9:34 am

I love me some good shoujo. (Azumanga Daioh, Voices of a Distant Star, Clover, Saint Tail...) But Megatokyo is pushing it a bit much. And I think the transition was a bit strange and difficult. They built a following and a target audience of one group, then did a complete 180 quite suddenly.

It didn't exactly kill them, but it would seem it lost them quite a few fans.
9&&|(=|()v&
yukinon

Postby Yokou » Wed Jul 06, 2005 9:51 am

Kyaa! I love megatokyo! So funny! ^^
98% of the teenage population does or has tried smoking pot. If you're one of the 2% who hasn't, copy & paste this in your signature.

Adopted by: Black Rose Misao
Adopter of Kisa and Sesshoumaru
Yokou

Postby Cap'n Nick » Wed Jul 06, 2005 10:05 am

yukinon wrote:I love me some good shoujo. (Azumanga Daioh, Voices of a Distant Star, Clover, Saint Tail...) But Megatokyo is pushing it a bit much. And I think the transition was a bit strange and difficult. They built a following and a target audience of one group, then did a complete 180 quite suddenly.

It didn't exactly kill them, but it would seem it lost them quite a few fans.

Aye. At first it was a blend of Piro and Largo. Now, even though Largo and his elements are technically still present, they remain only as props - the theme and tone are all Piro. Essentially, the character of the strip is now the character of its remaining author - casual gamer, hardcore shoujo, all around geek.

I think that's why I like the new incarnation better. I'm not too far off from that description myself. But I'd have to agree that most people on the planet wouldn't share this somewhat mismatched cross section of interests.
Cap'n Nick

Postby Nate » Wed Jul 06, 2005 10:28 am

Ashley wrote:I for one sorely miss the old MT. I used to love it. Largo made me laugh so hard I cried. After book 2 (end of book 1, really) I started to get very confused as to what was actually going on...and really just lost interest completely.

Yeah, same here, I got confused and bored. I miss Largo's stupidity. I'm a bit more like Piro than Largo, but I don't like Piro quite as much...go figure.

My favorite dialogue ever:

Piro: "Don't worry, I'm sure we'll be back before Neverwinter Nights is released."

Largo: "Oh, great, that'll be what, three years?"

I think my distaste for current Megatokyo is that it changed so drastically. It was crazy and funny, and Largo and Piro were a good counterbalance for each other, but then it changed from crazy and funny to just...regular shoujo-like. And that's not why I like it.

If it had been shoujo-like from the start (such as a couple of Fred's other comics I'm interested in) I wouldn't have minded it. But this is the equivalent of Fruits Basket changing from what it currently is to a big fighting tournament where Kyou gains superpowers. Fruits Basket wouldn't go under completely, but many of the fans who fell in love with the series would fall away from such a drastic change.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Sephiroth » Wed Jul 06, 2005 12:58 pm

yay, the thread is in the right place now, sorry i was dumb and posted it in the wrong section. So far i'm at part 415, the old megatokyo apealed to me, i still love the comic, the changes probably arend going to bother me alot.

This was my frist introduction into T3h L33T Sp33k! , i really love the author/s sense of humor, i dunno who my fave chars are, really, i love em all for different reasons, well maybe except ed & dom, though the bit at the start with about the job interview for sega was awsome.

Ph34r t3h Cu73 0n3z!
Sephiroth

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews