Yakitakate Japan!

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

Yakitate Japan!

Postby Kagan » Mon Jun 20, 2005 2:31 pm

I think this manga is hilarious. I mean, you wouldn't think a manga about bread would be very interesting, but this guy just makes it work. The basically is about a boy who wants to make bread famous in Japan, by creating bread he calls Japan. It's a pun on the Japanese word for bread, which is "pan", which probably comes from the French word (seeing how it is written in Katakana). The series has a great storyline, as he has to go through a lot of competetions in order to achieve his dream.

On a side note, I think his own parody of his work to be great. Instead of a Japanese boy wanting to make bread, he has an American wanting to cook rice! I don't know how youI think this manga is hilarious. I mean, you wouldn't think a manga about bread would be very interesting, but this guy just makes it work. The basically is about a boy who wants to make bread famous in Japan, by creating bread he calls Japan. It's a pun on the Japanese word for bread, which is "pan", which probably comes from the French word (seeing how it is written in Katakana). The series has a great storyline, as he has to go through a lot of competetions in order to achieve his dream.

On a side note, I think his own parody of his work to be great. Instead of a Japanese boy wanting to make bread, he has an American wanting to cook rice! Definitely a must read for manga-enthusiasts. Also the manga is pretty clean. I think theres a nude Yukino somewhere there, but its on the level of what you see when anime characters in hot springs.
We were meant to live for so much more.
Kagan

Postby Kireihana » Mon Jun 20, 2005 3:14 pm

XD sounds interesting. Is bread not popular in Japan?

**800th post! lol
Kireihana

Postby Kagan » Tue Jun 21, 2005 3:36 am

Congrats on 800! Btw. The Manga is Yakitate Japan, not Yakitakate (i'm not sure where I got that from, it guess it has a nice ring to it). I think bread is popular, but what Azuma (the hero) wants to do is make a bread that would represent Japanese people much like French bread represents France. Which is why he is calling all the variants of his bread Japan 1 and Japan 2, etc.
We were meant to live for so much more.
Kagan

Postby Hephzibah » Tue Jun 21, 2005 3:40 am

That sounds like fun! :grin:
Btw... I just noticed something... YOU'RE AN AUSSIE!! I thought it was only W4J, Zane and myself. Well I'll be!!
*hugs long lost brother*
Hephzibah

Postby MasterDias » Tue Jun 21, 2005 12:13 pm

I've read about ten volumes of it.

It was pretty entertaining. You have bread good enough to kill people...
And the characters are interesting.

I'll try to read more when I get around to it.
-----------------------------------------
"Always seek to do good to one another and to all."
1 Thessalonians 5:15

"Every story must have an ending." - Auron - Final Fantasy X

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby VioletEyedCat » Fri Jun 24, 2005 11:26 am

Man - I have learned so much stuff about bread and food from reading this manga! It's very very cool. I 'member when my dad was on his special diet after his heart attack and had to get lots of antioxidants, I told him to eat blueberries and drink wine 'cause they both are full of 'em. I learned that from reading this manga! W00t!

:P Smiling's not my Thing :P
VioletEyedCat

Postby Mave » Sun Jun 26, 2005 2:59 pm

:lol: This is a pretty wacky and intentionally overdramatized manga series. The whole "bread-good-enough-to-kill' idea is a bit tad weird but amusing.

In general, the baking facts seem accurate to me although I'm a little skeptical at some techniques. Anyway, after reading up to 5 volumes, I think this series is fun and entertaining if you ignore some occasional poses of the female characters, which I personally deem fanservicey.

I like the main male character and his passion in bread-making but that evil female manager....? <.< >.>;;; I think she's disgusting. What's -her- problem? Bleh.
Mave

Postby termyt » Mon Jun 27, 2005 9:12 am

I saw an episode of the anime version at Colossal Con. I know I'll never look at breadmaking the same way again. I'll definitely have to give the manga a closer look.
termyt

Postby Doubleshadow » Mon Jun 27, 2005 12:41 pm

Is it available in the US, does anyone know?
[color="Red"]As a man thinks in his heart, so is he. - Proverbs 23:7[/color]

The Sundries
Robin: "If we close our eyes, we can't see anything."
Batman: "A sound observation, Robin."
Doubleshadow

Postby MasterDias » Mon Jun 27, 2005 12:45 pm

No.

It's a Shonen Sunday manga so Viz would be the people who license it, if it ever gets licensed.
-----------------------------------------
"Always seek to do good to one another and to all."
1 Thessalonians 5:15

"Every story must have an ending." - Auron - Final Fantasy X

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby Doubleshadow » Tue Jun 28, 2005 5:43 am

MasterDias wrote:No.

It's a Shonen Sunday manga so Viz would be the people who license it, if it ever gets licensed.

Dang. Thanks for telling me though.
[color="Red"]As a man thinks in his heart, so is he. - Proverbs 23:7[/color]

The Sundries
Robin: "If we close our eyes, we can't see anything."
Batman: "A sound observation, Robin."
Doubleshadow

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews