SHOJO BEAT!!! (SJ for girls! Finally!)

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

Postby kazekami » Mon Jun 20, 2005 3:47 pm

It sounds like a really fun series. =) I like that kind of thing.
Meow!

adopted by spirit-me-away and CephasVII

proud adopter of:
Azier the Swordsman, Sakura's Wings(kitty form), Sora(kingdom Hearts), Squall Leonhart(FFVIII and KH), Li Syaoran(Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles),
kurogane (Tsubasa Resevoir Chronicles) blessedsolitude, Animagus24, scarletfire818, LeaChan-4ever, teen4truth, Starfire1, Kura Ookami, 1BalloonPopper, Sheenar, Dunedan, Fantasy Dreamer, starfire, zelda, Erin

I like swords. They are nice and shiny and sharp. :jump:

I Love
^__^
( ^.^)
(\/ \/)
(,,)(,,)

T3h Neko
KITTIES WILL RULE THE UNIVERSE!!!!
kazekami

Postby Kireihana » Mon Jun 20, 2005 10:02 pm

Shao Feng-Li wrote:Kaze Hikaru is kinda cool. It's about a girl who joins the Shinsengumi disguised as a boy. Charcters like Soji (right? or "Soshi?")Okita are there which is cool because he's in Rurouni Kenshin and it's so cool because it' kind of related in that sense...*gleam*

How interesting for a shoujo title. I'll have to look into that!
Kireihana

Postby Tora » Tue Jun 21, 2005 9:08 am

Absolute Boyfriend was okay, although I had hoped it would be less explicit. The only title that really caught my attention was Kaze Hikaru, so I'll probably just buy the graphic novels from now on.
Tora

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Tue Jun 21, 2005 10:59 am

Kaze Hikaru: about the only one that had decent art IMNSHO besides God Child.

Baby and me I thought was kind of cute.

Nana's kinda neat in a way: If I understand right, each story is about a different character named "Nana." *hates saying that name.*
Shao Feng-Li

Postby kazekami » Tue Jun 21, 2005 11:11 am

Yeah God Child is typicla Kaori Yuki. Her stuff is very beautiful.
Meow!

proud adopter of:
Azier the Swordsman, Sakura's Wings(kitty form), Sora(kingdom Hearts), Squall Leonhart(FFVIII and KH), Li Syaoran(Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles),
kurogane (Tsubasa Resevoir Chronicles) blessedsolitude, Animagus24, scarletfire818, LeaChan-4ever, teen4truth, Starfire1, Kura Ookami, 1BalloonPopper, Sheenar, Dunedan, Fantasy Dreamer, starfire, zelda, Erin

I Love
^__^
( ^.^)
(\/ \/)
(,,)(,,)

T3h Neko
kazekami

Postby Kisa » Tue Jun 21, 2005 2:35 pm

Yea it looks pretty good and I would get it except that all the titles featured aren't clean. Looking forward to Merupuri, Fushigi Yugi Genbu Kaiden and FMWS tho..... definitley agree to the big NO on absolute boyfriend... that is like 16 or 18 and up material... I was highly shocked, but it is Watase... >< from what I have seen of Genbu tho, it looks ok for now....
Romans 12:2
Kisa

Postby Indigo_Eyes » Tue Jun 21, 2005 8:57 pm

There ish more Merupuri fans on here?!?!?!!! AndI thought I was *nearly* the only one!!! I'm SOOO excited about Merupuri being licensed. I was going to wait until the scanlations were finished being released and then email TokyoPop about licensing it, but Viz is a good second choice ^_^ I'm definitely buying it when it comes out. And if it wasn't going to be licensed, I was going to buy them in Japanese, even though I wouldn't understand a lick of it.

Crimson Hero (which I've read scanlations of) and Kaze Hikaru (which I wish I had read the scanlations of before it was licensed) seem to be the best (and probably only) good titles that Shoujo Beat will have, although I don't know anything really about Baby & Me or Godchild--I'll have to see about those. And I'm happy that Full Moon was licensed; my friend is going to buy those when they come out :)
" 'Tis strange-but true; for truth is always strange, stranger than fiction." ~Lord Byron

"When you see a fork in the road, take it." ~Yogi Berra
Indigo_Eyes

Postby kazekami » Wed Jun 22, 2005 4:16 am

yeah Those titles are great. So is Ultra Maniac. O love that one. its fun.
Meow!

proud adopter of:

I Love
^__^
( ^.^)
(\/ \/)
(,,)(,,)

T3h Neko
kazekami

Postby Petite Soeur » Fri Jun 24, 2005 7:52 am

KisaTohru wrote:Yea it looks pretty good and I would get it except that all the titles featured aren't clean. Looking forward to Merupuri, Fushigi Yugi Genbu Kaiden and FMWS tho..... definitley agree to the big NO on absolute boyfriend... that is like 16 or 18 and up material... I was highly shocked, but it is Watase... >< from what I have seen of Genbu tho, it looks ok for now....

Baby and Me is pretty clean, from what I've seen. I liked that title and Godchild. Nana was boring, Zettai Kareshi was really a little bit wrong for my tastes (and I'm a Watase fan to boot); it felt like the shoujo version of "Chobits", and I'm not into explotative titles as such. Crimson Hero was just okay, and Kaze Hikaru, I skipped over because it seemed to shonen-ish for the mag. Not that shonen's bad, my sister subscribes to SJ, but it had a real Rurouni Kenshin feel to it. I will probably buy the SB manga (Full Moon, MeruPuri, Tokyo Boys and Girls, etc.), but not likely another issue of this. Not that it was bad, I loved Ultra Maniac, and I want to get the DVD, but the manga choices weren't really representative of the true shojo genre; it was more like goth horror, josei (adult women's), and action. The truest shojo was "Baby and Me".
Petite Soeur

Postby kazekami » Fri Jun 24, 2005 8:25 am

I agree with you about the title choices. But i have to say that chobits was no where near as bad as Zettai Kareshi, which is really saying something. And I won't go into why here though. I'm a watase fan too. I was horrified at the series. Baby and me was pretty clean. It was pretty sweet. Thats the one where the mother dies and the boy has to take care of his little brother. I didnt' really care for the art. But I had nothing against what I read of it. Genbu kaiden is pretty good. I won't be buying it since like full moon I have most of it in Japanese.

I wish thye would have a better selection in hte magizine. I'd be for it if they put Merupuri in it and Full moon instead of Zettai Karish and Nana, both which I disliked. They could have put Ultra Maniac in too.

Count Cain, which they call Godchild, has somethings in it that are warped. But thats how most of Kaori Yuki's works are.

Kaze Hikaru sounds even better and better to me. =)
Meow!

proud adopter of:

I Love
^__^
( ^.^)
(\/ \/)
(,,)(,,)

T3h Neko
kazekami

Postby *Hope* » Fri Jun 24, 2005 9:37 am

I bought the first one a couple days ago. I agree with kazekami about MeruPuri and Full Moon. They would have been much better titles to put in. I'm really looking forward to snagging those two when I can.

I found Nana very boring and had trouble finishing it. I'm not quite understanding why it's supposedly such a big hit. It was really sexually themed too, and I was surprised and angered about that.

Godchild was okay, but it was too graphic for me. I did find Cain attractive, though.

Absolute Boyfriend was pretty good, but I wish they would have cleaned it up a bit. I think it has some potential, and Night is VERY good looking.

Kaze Hikaru was fine. At first I'm like, "Oh no, they're all drunks and perverts!"
And then you find out they're really not, but I'm still a little wary.

Baby and Me was really cute and clean, and it was pretty interesting, but I wouldn't buy the graphic novel or anything. It's not really my type of story.

When I say the heroine of Crimson Hero, I thought she was a guy. That immediately wrecked the series for me because I kept thinking "She looks so much like a guy!" I don't really like her personality either, and I'm not into sports.

Overall, I think the titles they picked were either boring or mediocre. Some of them have potential, but I think I'll just buy the graphic novels instead. They shoud've put in some cleaner, more well-rounded series like Full Moon or MeruPuri. *is super excited to buy MeruPuri*
*Hope*

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Fri Jun 24, 2005 10:49 am

I'll for sure just stick with the SJ mag (better artwork...). Maybe I'll buy Godchild though.But I want to know a little bit more about the content...? And i'll try out Kaze Hikaru. I love the historical fiction stuff, especially because it's related to Rurouni Kenshin in that way. Heh.. But I want to know a little bit more about the content...? *drools over Cain.* The Nana characters are so... blah. I can't stand that crappy-thin sketchy stuff most of the time.

[sarcasm]But hey, at least I got to read my horoscope with a bunch of little charcters showing way to much cleavege. [/sarcasm]
Shao Feng-Li

Postby MorwenLaicoriel » Fri Jun 24, 2005 9:14 pm

My library has Shojo Beat, so I read threw part of it while waiting to be picked up after a book club the other day. Here's my impressions of it:

Nana--Wow...I don't think I've ever disliked a manga more. I HATED Nana, so much that once she started drooling after the college guy...I just gave up and skipped the story. I was glad I did when i was flipping through to find the next story and came across a drawing of Nana in bed with the guy. She's just...stupid...so in that sense, I suppose I related it to Gone With the Wind in my mind (have I ever mentioned how much I dislike Gone with the Wind?). Except that GWTW had good writing, and had at least one sympathetic character (sure, she died at the end, but oh well), and showed some sort of...concequences for Scarlett being stupid...le sigh. Is this REALLY what teen girls in Japan like? Do they identify with it? I just can't imagine...

Absolute Boyfriend was a little problematic...but had a neat idea, and the main character is much, much more sympathetic than Nana. The main male lead...night, is it?...is cute, too. I'm sure he'll be even cuter when he gets some clothes.

Godchild--probably the one I enjoyed the most of what I read. I really liked the art and the setting. I'm not a huge horror fan, though, so the violence was a bit over the top...and the Duke's references to an 'incubus' disturbed me a bit. But, I really do like the art and the setting, so I'm curious to see where it goes...it sort of reminded me of Phantom of the Opera...ish.

Kaze Hikaru--I was in the middle of this one when my Mom appeared. From what I read...I was a little bored. It felt a little too much like a mish-mash between Mulan and RuroKen. I did like the character who later reveals he has an illness, though--I like boyish, cute swordsmen with illnesses. Don't know why. But I do. XD
MorwenLaicoriel

Postby Alice » Sat Jun 25, 2005 6:53 pm

They had a free give away thing of this in the book store, with a few pages of each. I liked the art in the last one, but I don't think I'll be buying the magazine. ^^
People talking without speaking
People hearing without listening
People writing songs that voices never share

And no one dared
Disturb the sound of silence.
Alice

Postby oro! » Tue Jun 28, 2005 9:14 am

I got that free sample, and let me tell you- that is enough!!!!! I hated all of it except for the Kaze Hikaru. (Baby and me was boring) I just thought to myself, " I've already been dealing eith this kind of sin, and here it comes staring me in the face."
God hates this immorality, and so I do too. It was just sickening. There is good shojo out there!!!!
"I've learned when you throw mud at others, not only do you get your hands dirty, but you also lose a lot of ground." Ravi Zacharias
"Pride grows in the human heart like lard on a pig." Aleksander Solzhenitzen (so call me on it)
"Zeal without knowledge can lead to chaos." - Bob Rohm
"Why don't we love his truth as much as we seem to love his love?"- Cross Movement, in their song "Check us Out"
oro!

Postby Alice » Tue Jun 28, 2005 12:36 pm

Yeah, I cut out the first one and trashed it. I mean, I tend to like Watase's art, but I don't think I should be getting interested in that comic. :sweat:

I haven't read all the samples yet, but only the last one looks really interesting to me. (Like anyone cares what I think!!) :lol:

And no one dared
Alice

Postby kazekami » Tue Jun 28, 2005 2:38 pm

Its sad that viz is putting out such a bad selection in the magazine/ It would be nice if they would switch the GN list with the magazine list
Meow!

proud adopter of:

I Love
^__^
( ^.^)
(\/ \/)
(,,)(,,)

T3h Neko
kazekami

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Tue Jun 28, 2005 2:46 pm

That's why it's not a good idea to be a fan of the artist but a fan of particualr titles.
Shao Feng-Li

Postby Alice » Tue Jun 28, 2005 5:09 pm

Yeah, that's why there's only about one of her titles I'll read anymore.

But to say I shouldn't be a fan of certain art styles, doesn't really work. I mean, the reason I got into manga was because I liked the art.

Doesn't mean I should read something that's dirty just because I like the art, though. :lol:

And no one dared
Alice

Postby kazekami » Tue Jun 28, 2005 8:05 pm

I like a few of her series. But Zettai Kareshi is nasty. I won't buy something like that.
Meow!

proud adopter of:

I Love
^__^
( ^.^)
(\/ \/)
(,,)(,,)

T3h Neko
kazekami

Postby oro! » Tue Jun 28, 2005 8:11 pm

Alice wrote:
I haven't read all the samples yet, but only the last one looks really interesting to me. (Like anyone cares what I think!!) :lol:

AWW, you know we care about what you think, Alice. :poke:
"I've learned when you throw mud at others, not only do you get your hands dirty, but you also lose a lot of ground." Ravi Zacharias
"Pride grows in the human heart like lard on a pig." Aleksander Solzhenitzen (so call me on it)
"Zeal without knowledge can lead to chaos." - Bob Rohm
"Why don't we love his truth as much as we seem to love his love?"- Cross Movement, in their song "Check us Out"
oro!

Postby Indigo_Eyes » Wed Jun 29, 2005 6:14 pm

MorwenLaicoriel wrote:Nana--Wow...I don't think I've ever disliked a manga more. I HATED Nana, so much that once she started drooling after the college guy...I just gave up and skipped the story. I was glad I did when i was flipping through to find the next story and came across a drawing of Nana in bed with the guy. She's just...stupid...so in that sense, I suppose I related it to Gone With the Wind in my mind (have I ever mentioned how much I dislike Gone with the Wind?). Except that GWTW had good writing, and had at least one sympathetic character (sure, she died at the end, but oh well), and showed some sort of...concequences for Scarlett being stupid...le sigh. Is this REALLY what teen girls in Japan like? Do they identify with it? I just can't imagine...

Alot of people who read scanlations must relate with it, because there seems to me to be a big fanbase for it in the scanlation community, it's pretty popular. And by the way... you really dislike Gone with the Wind too :wow!: *feels kinship* All the stuff you said on GWTW I agree with...poor Melanie.

What bookstore was handing out the SB samples?
" 'Tis strange-but true; for truth is always strange, stranger than fiction." ~Lord Byron

Indigo_Eyes

Postby Alice » Wed Jun 29, 2005 8:50 pm

Borders. And thankies, oro!girl. ^^

Still haven't gotten around to reading it yet. :lol:

And no one dared
Alice

Postby Mave » Wed Jun 29, 2005 8:56 pm

Interesting. I agree with most of you. I find the selection of manga titles disappointing, to say the least.

Absolute Boyfriend - Of ALL titles by Watase.....why this? I would rather have Ayashi no Ceres.

Baby & Me - This is a nice series but it's definitely not school girl themed so I understand why some ppl are bored with it.

Crimson Hero - Hmm...never heard of this.

Godchild - Kaoru Yuuki's latest offering. Looks dark and all but I haven't read this yet.

Kaze Hikaru - Looks interesting and the most promising. I might check this out. ^^

Nana - I think I read it a long time ago but I just wasn't interested.

From the other list, I've read a little of Fushigi Yuugi Genbu Kaiden and Merupuri (both look pretty ok) but I would be cautiously optimistic with anything by Miki Aihara.

Sigghh....
Mave

Postby Indigo_Eyes » Thu Jun 30, 2005 8:16 am

Mave wrote:Crimson Hero - Hmm...never heard of this.

The mangaka who did this title also did Akuma de Sourou (The Devil Does Exist), which has also been licensed by Viz. Great artwork, and the storyline is good too. It's about a girl who plays volleyball who tries to raise up support and other players for a girls volleyball team at her school. She loves v-ball and wants to play it badly, so much so that she told her mother that she wasn't going to take over the family tea ceremony business like she was supposed to, and gets kicked out of the house because of it. The only thing that really has bothered me about the series so far (I've read scanlations to some of volume 3) was the cursing, I don't know how Viz will handle that. It will take a while 'til Viz catches up with the scanlations *sigh*

Indigo_Eyes

Postby Ashley » Thu Jun 30, 2005 8:41 am

Of all of them, Crimson Hero sounds the most interesting. My sister and I both played (well she IS playing) volleyball, so it's a sport very dear to me. I'll probably wait for the serialized novels coming out later, though.
Ashley

Postby kazekami » Thu Jun 30, 2005 10:28 am

I generally don't like sports manga. But Crimsom Hero is fun. I've read the first volume.

And Mave I agree with you. In my opinion Zettai kareshi/Absolute Boyfriend is the worst thing Yuu Watase has written. Ceres was way better and that had some parts in it that I was uncomfortable with. I wish they would have put Genbu kaiden in instead if they needed a work by her. Its realy really good. Takiko is pretty intresting. And the story is good even if everyone already knows it will end tragically because it says so in Fushigi Yugi. A chapter comes out though every 3 or 4 months. So that may be why they didn't put it in. I like Yuu Watase in general. She has nice art work and she has some good stories. Her one shots are pretty fun and so is Imadoki and Alice 19th. Zettai Kareshi though is yuck.

I also agree that Baby and me is boring. I read a chapter a few years ago. Couldn't get into it.

At least they didn't put Shinju Mayu in it. Her work is really smutty. ><
Meow!

proud adopter of:

I Love
^__^
( ^.^)
(\/ \/)
(,,)(,,)

T3h Neko
kazekami

Postby Indigo_Eyes » Thu Jun 30, 2005 10:56 am

Ashley wrote:Of all of them, Crimson Hero sounds the most interesting. My sister and I both played (well she IS playing) volleyball, so it's a sport very dear to me. I'll probably wait for the serialized novels coming out later, though.

Yah, I play volleyball too, so that was an initial incentive for me to read it :)

Indigo_Eyes

Postby Mave » Thu Jun 30, 2005 3:49 pm

I remember Akuma de Sourou (sp?) but I lost interest in it (I'm not sure why). But if you guys like Crimson Hero, I'll give it a try. ^^

Ayashi no Ceres had its less-than-decent moments but at least, it had a great plot and some admirable characters. But still....if you don't like angst and any nudity/teensex at all, leave this one alone and keep looking somewhere else.

kazekami wrote:
At least they didn't put Shinju Mayu in it. Her work is really smutty. ><

Oh dear Lord, pls don't EVER let this happen. I knew I should have never read Kaikan Phrase.
Mave

Postby chibi_chan » Thu Jun 30, 2005 6:09 pm

I pretty much liked all of them in there, so I subscribed to it.

Nana: I really liked it, at first the art didn't catch my eye but as I read more I started to like it more and more. I was surprised that not many peaple here didn't like it.

Absolute Boyfriend: Hated it. I think i've only liked one of Yuu Watase's works, and that was just ok. She has nice art and all but her main characters make me cringe, I think she's the first artist who has actually made me want to kill her characters.
I did think the random flashback wwas funny though XD;;;

Godchild: I could be biased cause I love dark gothic story's and Kaori Yuki's art, but I loved it. Though i'm sure I remember it being 'Count Cain' and not 'Godchild' before. Can anyone tell me if this is true?

Kaze Hikaru: I think I like the Souji Okita in Peacemaker better but this ones cool too.^^ I liked this one alot too, and i've wanted to read it ever since I had heard a girl online mention it.

Baby and me: I skimmed through it, the story and art wern't my cup o' tea.

Crimson Hero: I liked this one alot too. Aunt Momoko's my favorite XD
happy go luck monkey!
ImageImage

akai tsuki wo nagameteta kara nakitai hodo boku no fuan wa
itsumo kioku no katasumi ni kasabuta mitai ni nokoru yo
itai kurai kirei datta kedo hikari no naka no boku no kage wo
ano takai kanransha de dareka ga waratta ki ga shita

hitsuji no kigurumi wo kita mama yaseta otoko no ko ga odokete
haku iki wo shiroku sasete inoru youni te wo awaseta
ano ko to sora no aida ni wa toumei na nanika ga aru kara
kitto negai wa todokanai sukoshi samuku naru yuuenchi

nanimokamo uso ni naru daremo inaku naru

boku no naka no boku wo itsuka katai GARASU bin ni tsumete
hi no ataru niwa no kadan ni koneko to issho ni umeyou
mizutamari ni utsuru kao wa tsumetai ame de gushagusha ni
chigireteitta ato ni tada no iro ni kawaridashita yo

maboroshi no BERU ga nari keshiki ga kasumi daseba
nanimokamo uso ni naru daremo inaku naru

boku no naka no boku wo itsuka katai GARASU bin ni tsumete
hi no ataru niwa no kadan ni koneko to issho ni umeyou
mizutamari ni utsuru kao wa tsumetai ame de gushagusha ni
chigireteitta ato ni tada no iro ni kawaridasu yo

yasashiku gin'iro no ame ga machi no subete ni furisosogu
michi no haji de sagashiteita boku wo yatto mitsuketa
isu no ue ni hana no ue ni ashi ga nai roba no senaka ni
komakai ame ga furisosogu boku no ue ni mo _____.
song: Hontou no Uso by PLastic Tree lyrics:anime lyrics
chibi_chan

Previous Next

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews