What are you reading?

A place to discuss your favorite authors and poets, Christian and secular

Postby uc pseudonym » Wed Jun 08, 2005 2:30 pm

Let me see...

Naming the Powers, Unmasking the Powers, and Engaging the Powers, all by Walter Wink.

The first I found interesting but largely scholarly without being practical. The second (which I read last) did not impress me, for a variety of reasons. One was some of the exegis, but also I feel that in the book he systematically proves why, from his perspective, the book was unnecessary (obviously, he does not feel the same). The last I was disappointed in, because the content was decidedly different from what I had expected, but ultimately was an interesting read.
uc pseudonym

Postby zelda » Wed Jun 08, 2005 2:31 pm

I'm reading: "Lion Boy"
@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Signature, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.
zelda

Postby Namelessknight » Thu Jun 09, 2005 4:39 pm

Just finished up WarHorse by Tim Zahn. Man, he can really get into the alien viewpoint. I suspect it is because he understands humanity so well...
His Strength was as the Strength of Ten, for His Heart was Pure

My blog=[url=elfenknight.blogspot.com]Knightly Ruminations[/url]
Namelessknight

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Fri Jun 10, 2005 6:40 am

A Series of Unfortunate Events-Book the Sixth: The Ersatz Elevator By Lemony Snicket
Shao Feng-Li

Postby mitsuki lover » Fri Jun 10, 2005 2:16 pm

The Cartoon History Of The Universe.Fun way of learning history but some of the
facts especially on the section on the OT are totally wrong.
mitsuki lover

Postby Technomancer » Tue Jun 14, 2005 6:34 am

"What is Life?" by Lynn Margulis and Dorion Sagan

(Copied from Amazon)
Half a century ago, before the discovery of DNA, the Austrian physicist and philosopher Erwin Schrodinger inspired a generation of scientists by rephrasing the fascinating philosophical question: What is life? Using their expansive understanding of recent science to wonderful effect, acclaimed authors Lynn Margulis and Dorion Sagan revisit this timeless question in a fast-moving, wide-ranging narrative that combines rigorous science with philosophy, history, and poetry. The authors move deftly across a dazzling array of topics-from the dynamics of the bacterial realm, to the connection between sex and death, to theories of spirit and matter. They delve into the origins of life, offering the startling suggestion that life-not just human life-is free to act and has played an unexpectedly large part in its own evolution. Transcending the various formal concepts of life, this captivating book offers a unique overview of life's history, essences, and future.

This really is a good book.
The scientific method," Thomas Henry Huxley once wrote, "is nothing but the normal working of the human mind." That is to say, when the mind is working; that is to say further, when it is engaged in corrrecting its mistakes. Taking this point of view, we may conclude that science is not physics, biology, or chemistry—is not even a "subject"—but a moral imperative drawn from a larger narrative whose purpose is to give perspective, balance, and humility to learning.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby kirakira » Tue Jun 14, 2005 8:10 am

I'm still ploughing through "The Count of Monte Cristo" by Alexandre Dumas. Good, but long. I'm also in the middle of "Episode II: Attack of the Clones" by R. A. Salvatore, which isn't outstanding, and "Safely Home", by Randy Alcorn, which I'm enjoying. ^_^
Love wins.
kirakira

Postby uc pseudonym » Wed Jun 15, 2005 8:48 am

I am reading (albeit slowly) The Cost of Discipleship. Despite being old and translated, it isn't bad, though it is not easy reading. So far I have found his ideas interesting despite his presentation.

EDIT: The book by Dietrich Bonhoeffer, not another of the same title.
uc pseudonym

Postby the_lizardqueen » Fri Jun 17, 2005 11:50 am

Phew, I've been reading through four books at once, where to start?

I've actually finished Last Chance to See by Douglas Adams. It's an account of his travels with a group from the BBC, while they were documenting the status of several endangered species from around the world. Normally environmentalist books tend to get me all riled up and wanting to join Greenpeace (against my better judgement) but I found that Adam's humor managed to balance out the frequently alarming subject matter. Though I still kinda want to run out and try to save a bunch of endangered species, if only I could figure out where exactly to start :sweat:

I've also been reading the first two Discworld books by Terry Pratchett and Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency, also by Douglas Adams. They're both prone to complete zaniness and I love 'em. I have heard some negative remarks about the occult content in the Discworld books though, which kinda has me worried...
[color="lightgreen"]"There is an art, or rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."

-The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy[/color]
the_lizardqueen

Postby K. Ayato » Fri Jun 17, 2005 11:55 am

I think I'll pick up my copy of Jane Eyre real soon.
K. Ayato: What happens if you press the small red button?

*Explosion goes off in the movie*

mechana2015: Does that answer your question?

K. Ayato: Perfectly.

Prayer sister of kaji, sticksabuser, Angel37, and Doubleshadow --Love you guys! :)
K. Ayato

Postby Ssjjvash » Fri Jun 17, 2005 1:21 pm

mobilesuitpilot wrote:I think I'll pick up my copy of Jane Eyre real soon.

I'm in the middle of that book. I have to get back to reading it so I can finish it. It's good.
If you can force your heart and nerve and sinew
To serve your turn long after they are gone
And so hold on when there is nothing left in you
Except the Will which says to them: 'Hold on!' ...you'll be a Man, my son!

Rudyard Kipling

Satan, bite the dust!Image

"You are not who your mistakes say you are; you are not the sum of your failures!"---Rev. Billy Miller

Proverbs 18:24
Ssjjvash

Postby mitsuki lover » Fri Jun 17, 2005 2:22 pm

the_lizardqueen wrote:Phew, I've been reading through four books at once, where to start?

I've actually finished Last Chance to See by Douglas Adams. It's an account of his travels with a group from the BBC, while they were documenting the status of several endangered species from around the world. Normally environmentalist books tend to get me all riled up and wanting to join Greenpeace (against my better judgement) but I found that Adam's humor managed to balance out the frequently alarming subject matter. Though I still kinda want to run out and try to save a bunch of endangered species, if only I could figure out where exactly to start :sweat:

I've also been reading the first two Discworld books by Terry Pratchett and Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency, also by Douglas Adams. They're both prone to complete zaniness and I love 'em. I have heard some negative remarks about the occult content in the Discworld books though, which kinda has me worried...

Try Men At Arms and Feet Of Clay. :thumb:
mitsuki lover

Postby uc pseudonym » Fri Jun 17, 2005 4:26 pm

The Landry News by Andrew Clements

Pretty light reading while still working on my previous book (I finished it in less than an hour), but enjoyable none the less. I read it primarily because a friend of mine who currently teaches highschool said the book said more about the American education system than some theses. It is possible he was right.
uc pseudonym

Postby JoyfulSongs » Fri Jun 17, 2005 6:55 pm

Read the last Robotech book. Hey, it's summer!
JoyfulSongs

Postby the_lizardqueen » Fri Jun 17, 2005 7:01 pm

*high-fives Ssjjvash and mobilesuitpilot*

Yay! Jane Eyre's one of my faves! :grin:
the_lizardqueen

Postby Htom Sirveaux » Sat Jun 18, 2005 9:40 am

The Dark Tower, Book I: The Gunslinger. One of the greatest openings ever - "The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed." Grabs your attention, doesn't it?

I'd like to read The Sandman: Book of Dreams if I ever find a copy, but it's out of print.
If this post seems too utterly absurd or ridiculous to be taken seriously, don't. :)
Htom Sirveaux

Postby Ssjjvash » Sat Jun 18, 2005 5:24 pm

Self Incrimination by R. Singer.

I forgot his first name.
If you can force your heart and nerve and sinew
To serve your turn long after they are gone
And so hold on when there is nothing left in you
Except the Will which says to them: 'Hold on!' ...you'll be a Man, my son!

Rudyard Kipling

Satan, bite the dust!Image

"You are not who your mistakes say you are; you are not the sum of your failures!"---Rev. Billy Miller

Proverbs 18:24
Ssjjvash

Postby Technomancer » Sat Jun 18, 2005 8:18 pm

I've picked up "Vernon God Little" by DBC Pierre and "Aquagenesis: The Origin and Evolution of Life in the Sea" by Richard Ellis
The scientific method," Thomas Henry Huxley once wrote, "is nothing but the normal working of the human mind." That is to say, when the mind is working; that is to say further, when it is engaged in corrrecting its mistakes. Taking this point of view, we may conclude that science is not physics, biology, or chemistry—is not even a "subject"—but a moral imperative drawn from a larger narrative whose purpose is to give perspective, balance, and humility to learning.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby Lehn » Sun Jun 19, 2005 8:14 am

Catcher in the Rye. Because I'm a rebel, yo.
“Have courage for the great sorrows of life and patience for the small ones; and when you have laboriously accomplished your daily task, go to sleep in peace. God is awake.â€
Lehn

Postby mitsuki lover » Sun Jun 19, 2005 2:21 pm

All-Consuming Fire by Andy Lane.Dr.Who meets Sherlock Holmes.
mitsuki lover

Postby HisaishiFan » Sun Jun 19, 2005 6:11 pm

The Princess Bride.
But even if we don't feel at ease, God is greater than our feelings and He knows everything. 1 John 3:20 :angel:

Delight in utter trust.
HisaishiFan

Location: Kentucky (formerly I would have said to think rain, but now you should think sweltering heat . . . a

Postby Maledicte » Mon Jun 20, 2005 11:37 am

Gorky Park by Martin Cruz Smith. *sighs* so good.
Maledicte

Postby uc pseudonym » Mon Jun 20, 2005 11:54 am

While still reading my former title, I finished Night Watch by Terry Pratchet. Being Discworld, it was of course good, but this is probably my second favorite after The Thief of Time.
uc pseudonym

Postby Kawaiikneko » Tue Jun 21, 2005 6:12 pm

I just read 1-4 of Harry Potter for the first time and I'm starting 5 right now ^^ I got the first one by itself from the library and it was so good I had to reserve the next three (no clue why I didn't just reserve the next four, but whatever). I read those three within two days XD You can always tell I really like a book when I read it almost straight through in a day or so. Well off to start on Order of the Phoenix~ Even though I've already had a death spoiled for me *cries* *stabs friends who told me before I had even read the books*
Kawaiikneko

Postby Jasdero » Wed Jun 22, 2005 4:49 am

I finished Margaret Mitchell's Gone with the Wind for the upteenth time, along with Douglas Adams' Ultimate Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

I put off reading Murasaki Shikibu's Tale of Genji, for some reason that I myself don't understand.

Now, I've picked up Marion Zimmer Bradley's Mists of Avalon. My friend Mary was outraged when she found out that I hadn't finished reading it last month. I kinda.. um... "read it," in that I read up to the end of the first part of the book, and decided I would move on to the Otori trilogy. So now it's caught up with me and I have the wrath of a medieval, King Arthur, and Morgaine fan behind me. I'm reading like my life depends on it.
Jasdero

Postby JoyfullShadow » Wed Jun 22, 2005 11:09 am

I'm currently reading- Crime and Punishment, Through the Looking Glass, and The Pessimists guide to History-
Arîdkha-
A.K.A. Snicket

P.S. I learned all my dance moves from Josh & Jon :rock:
xanga- http://www.xanga.com/home.aspx?user=blackKat013

" ...there's a love that could fall down like rain, let forgiveness wash away the pain. And no one knows what they are searching for this world is crying out for so much more..."
JoyfullShadow

Postby mitsuki lover » Wed Jun 22, 2005 2:10 pm

I just read Wrong About Japan.
mitsuki lover

Postby Alice » Fri Jun 24, 2005 6:19 pm

Agatha Christie.

I just finished "Curtain," the last Poirot mystery. Boy that was good.

Before that, I read a book I won't bother naming because it kinda went down hill... eh... yeah.
People talking without speaking
People hearing without listening
People writing songs that voices never share

And no one dared
Disturb the sound of silence.
Alice

Postby mitsuki lover » Sat Jun 25, 2005 2:08 pm

I'm finishing reading up Treasure In Clay the autobiography of the late great
Bishop Fulton J. Sheen.
mitsuki lover

Postby the_lizardqueen » Sat Jun 25, 2005 4:31 pm

The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux (the book that came before the musical and the movie) and Great Cathedrals by Bernhard Schutz. I'm not really reading the cathedral book persay, I'm actually using the pretty pictures as an art reference :sweat:

It'd prolly take me forever to read through, I think it weighs about 20 lbs and it's actually too big to fit in the library dropoff shoot O_o
[color="lightgreen"]"There is an art, or rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."

-The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy[/color]
the_lizardqueen

Previous Next

Return to Book Corner