From the creater of Azumanga Daioh...

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

From the creater of Azumanga Daioh...

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Fri Jun 10, 2005 5:28 pm

It's "Yotsuba&!"! by Kiyohiko Azuma from ADV Manga.

I just got the first volume today and it's so awsome. THe art is really cool. Yotsuba is a little girl who just moved with her dad. She explores everything from "glow ball warning" and air conditioners to TV and manners.

Best of al it's rated "All" and there's absolutley nothing offenseive in this volume.

Shao Feng-Li

Postby Rogie » Fri Jun 10, 2005 7:47 pm

Yeah, I've been excited about this one since I read a sample of it in Anime Insider. Next time I go to the bookstore, I'm going to buy it.

She looks so much like Chiyo-chan, too! :)
Zar wrote:Praise God for all things awesome. Life ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But sanctify the Lord your God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear:
-- 1 Peter 3:15
Rogie

Postby Arnobius » Fri Jun 10, 2005 8:03 pm

Ack, is that out already? That is such a great comic. I have vol 1 in Japanese and saw some scans of volume 2 (wait until you see Yotsuba act out violence she saw on TV). A great series.
Arnobius

Postby Otaku10 » Sat Jun 11, 2005 2:21 am

I really like the Azumanga Daioh manga. It looks really instresting I need to check it out next time Im in a bookstore.
Character cannot be developed in ease and quiet. Only through experience of trial and suffering can the soul be strengthened, ambition inspired, and success achieved. - Hellen Keller

Otaku10

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Sat Jun 11, 2005 2:39 am

i want i want i must buy!
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Sat Jun 11, 2005 5:58 am

I think the next volume comes out in August. That should be plenty of time for me to gather ten dollars.

And yes you must buy it. I'd bet Yostuba woud have the same voice as Chiyo (dubbed that is).
Shao Feng-Li

Postby Arnobius » Sat Jun 11, 2005 6:24 am

Yeah, I once heard the character described as "A younger version of Chiyo-chan who had a brain transplant where the donor was Osaka as a child."

Great manga, and I hope adv didn't botch the translation...
Arnobius

Postby Namelessknight » Sat Jun 11, 2005 10:13 am

Yay!!! More "chiyo-chan"!! I am looking forward to this...
His Strength was as the Strength of Ten, for His Heart was Pure

My blog=[url=elfenknight.blogspot.com]Knightly Ruminations[/url]
Namelessknight

Postby Arnobius » Sat Jun 11, 2005 10:42 am

Namelessknight wrote:Yay!!! More "chiyo-chan"!! I am looking forward to this...

Yotsuba is not quite like Chiyo chan. She's a little girl who is too young to understand what's going on around her, so she acts inappropriately (When told about environmentalism and air conditioners, comes home to find her dad with the Air conditioner on and decides her father is an enemy of the planet)
Arnobius

Postby meboeck » Sat Jun 11, 2005 8:19 pm

YAY! I am excited! That looks really excellent! If it's anything like Azumanga Daioh, it's a must-read. YAY!
*insert poem, quote, or witty comment here*

"If it doesn't fit, you must edIT! -- [color=#cc3322]MOES."
[/color]
meboeck

Postby Mangafanatic » Sun Jun 12, 2005 6:38 pm

Oooo!!! Must. Read.
Every year in Uganda, innumerable children simply. . . disappear. These children all stolen under the cover of darkness from their homes and impressed into the guerilla armies of the LRA [Lord's Resistance Army]. In the deserts of Uganda, they are forced to witness the mindless slaughter of other children until they themselves can do nothing but kill. Kill. These children, generally ranging from ages 5-12, are brainwashed into murdering in the name of the resistance and into stealing other children from their beds to suffer the same fate.

Because of this genocide of innocence, hundred and hundreds of children live every night sleeping in public places miles from their homes, because they know that if the do not-- they will disappear. They will become just another number in this genocide to which the international community has chosen to turn a blind eye. They will become, in affect, invisible-- Invisible Children.

But there are those who are trying to fight against this slaughter of Uganda's children. They fight to protect these "invisible children." Please, help them help a country full of children who know nothing by fear. Help save the innocence. For more information concerning how you can help and how you can get an incredible video about this horrific reality, visit the Invisible Children home page.
Mangafanatic

Postby Arnobius » Sun Jun 12, 2005 6:50 pm

meboeck wrote:YAY! I am excited! That looks really excellent! If it's anything like Azumanga Daioh, it's a must-read. YAY!

Well, Azu Dai was a 4 panel, while this is a book of actual manga stories.

It's very different, but still well worth following. I hope ADV didn't botch the translation...
Arnobius

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Mon Jun 13, 2005 2:23 pm

I like the translation, but I haven't read it in Japanese, because I can't.

AnimeHeretic, you can read Japanes I take it.
Shao Feng-Li

Postby Arnobius » Mon Jun 13, 2005 2:30 pm

Shao Feng-Li wrote:I like the translation, but I haven't read it in Japanese, because I can't.

AnimeHeretic, you can read Japanes I take it.

Some. I know enough to compare, but not enough to read a novel.

I saw some scans that were very close and I hope ADV does them well-- the bookstores don't have the English here yet...
Arnobius

Postby Namelessknight » Mon Jun 13, 2005 5:26 pm

AnimeHeretic wrote:Yotsuba is not quite like Chiyo chan. She's a little girl who is too young to understand what's going on around her, so she acts inappropriately (When told about environmentalism and air conditioners, comes home to find her dad with the Air conditioner on and decides her father is an enemy of the planet)

That is why I put Chiyo in quotes. I know it isn't Chiyo. It just looks like her. and that is enough for me. Something that cute should be bottled and sold...
His Strength was as the Strength of Ten, for His Heart was Pure

My blog=[url=elfenknight.blogspot.com]Knightly Ruminations[/url]
Namelessknight

Postby Arnobius » Mon Jun 13, 2005 6:59 pm

Namelessknight wrote:That is why I put Chiyo in quotes. I know it isn't Chiyo. It just looks like her. and that is enough for me. Something that cute should be bottled and sold...

Ah, my mistake...
Arnobius

Postby Kireihana » Tue Jun 14, 2005 4:27 pm

I LOVE Kiyohiko Azuma!! If this is anything as good as Azumanga, like you say, than I definitely recommend it also. I can't wait to get the first volume!
Kireihana

Postby termyt » Thu Jun 16, 2005 5:19 am

I was pretty excited when I saw this manga was coming to the US. Now all I have to do is make time to read it.
[color="Red"]Please visit Love146.org[/color]
A member of the Society of Hatted Members
If your pedantic about grammar, its unlikely that you'll copy and paste this into your sig, to.
termyt

Postby LorentzForce » Thu Jun 16, 2005 5:56 am

I shall keep an eye out or two for this to hit on the shelves around my local book store...
LorentzForce

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Thu Jun 16, 2005 8:45 am

Yes, read Yotsub&, I beseech you!
Shao Feng-Li

Postby Kireihana » Thu Jun 16, 2005 11:00 am

Does anyone know the meaning of the "&" at the end of the title?
Kireihana

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Thu Jun 16, 2005 11:46 am

In Japanese it's "Yotsubato": the "to" means "with" or "and." Thus, "Yotsuba&."
Shao Feng-Li

Postby MorwenLaicoriel » Sat Jun 18, 2005 7:12 am

I think a friend of mine is getting me some volumes of Azumanga Daioh...so once I have that collection completed, I can feel free to start this series! (yay!) *dances*
MorwenLaicoriel

Postby Mangafanatic » Sat Jun 18, 2005 4:48 pm

I read it today and. . .

Oh. my. freakin'. goodness.

I have never read such a funny manga in my LIFE (or, atleast, if I have I don't remember [I sometime wonder if I was the one who got Osaka's brain transplanted into my skull] :lol: )!! When I read Azumanga Daioh, there were certain little episodes that I thought were hysterical, but, overall, I didn't think it was THAT funny. "Yosuba&!" is entirely different. I was cracking up the whole time. Infact, I was sitting on the couch just outside the kitchen reading it, and I was laughing so much my mom came out, thinking I was crying. Oh, I can't wait for volume two.

On an unrelated note, I thought I'd just mention that this title is, thus far, SUPER clean. No bust size jokes. No pervy teachers. Just good clean side-splitting fun! Woo-hoo!!!

Oh, Lord, please let them make an anime out of this manga.
Every year in Uganda, innumerable children simply. . . disappear. These children all stolen under the cover of darkness from their homes and impressed into the guerilla armies of the LRA [Lord's Resistance Army]. In the deserts of Uganda, they are forced to witness the mindless slaughter of other children until they themselves can do nothing but kill. Kill. These children, generally ranging from ages 5-12, are brainwashed into murdering in the name of the resistance and into stealing other children from their beds to suffer the same fate.

Because of this genocide of innocence, hundred and hundreds of children live every night sleeping in public places miles from their homes, because they know that if the do not-- they will disappear. They will become just another number in this genocide to which the international community has chosen to turn a blind eye. They will become, in affect, invisible-- Invisible Children.

But there are those who are trying to fight against this slaughter of Uganda's children. They fight to protect these "invisible children." Please, help them help a country full of children who know nothing by fear. Help save the innocence. For more information concerning how you can help and how you can get an incredible video about this horrific reality, visit the Invisible Children home page.
Mangafanatic

Postby Kireihana » Sat Jun 18, 2005 5:40 pm

I think one of the reasons Azumanga wasn't as funny is because it contained so much Japanese humor that just didn't translate well. When my cousin and Hiroko and I were watching the anime, Hiroko was cracking up and we were just like :eyebrow:. I guess it was getting back at us for making her watch Monty Python (British Humor) XD
Kireihana

Postby Arnobius » Sat Jun 18, 2005 6:04 pm

Kireihana wrote:I think one of the reasons Azumanga wasn't as funny is because it contained so much Japanese humor that just didn't translate well. When my cousin and Hiroko and I were watching the anime, Hiroko was cracking up and we were just like :eyebrow:. I guess it was getting back at us for making her watch Monty Python (British Humor) XD

There were many jokes that ADV either didn't get or didn't try to translate. There were also a few lines that were subtle but very crass (why Nyamo got so angry at Kimura at the pool...)

Yotsubato was much cleaner...
Arnobius

Postby termyt » Fri Jun 24, 2005 10:37 am

Kireihana wrote:Does anyone know the meaning of the "&" at the end of the title?

It's also kind of a play on words, like Azumanga Daioh is a play on words.

Yotsuba is the main character. The full title is Yotsubato where "to" means "and" like Shao Feng-Li said. It makes more sense when you read it with a chapter title.

The first chapter is entitled "Moving," so it's about Yotsuba and Moving. Kind of a clever way to point out that each chapter gives us a look at something from Yotsuba's point of view.

I loved this manga, by the way. Funniest thing I've read in a long time.
termyt

Postby IZ&Trigun4life » Tue Jul 19, 2005 8:27 am

WOOT! I'll put that on my birthday list!
Image "Call unto me, and I will answer thee, and show thee great and mighty things which thou knowest not."-Jeremiah 33:3
Yes I love my God, He is the fountain of life and my savior. He keeps me going day and night, without Him, I am no one, But with Him I can do everything, Christ is my strength

Adopted By:
Silvanis
Sakura's Wings
Tidus20

Adopted Neko Brother: Jaden Mental

*is still waiting for more offers lol*

Christians are not narrow minded. We are moral minded!

"My Heart Is Beeping....For The INVISIBLE CHILDREN"
IZ&Trigun4life

Postby Kawaiikneko » Tue Jul 19, 2005 8:43 am

ohhh I love yostubato~ I read it while it was online a long time ago, and I loved it. I think I'll buy the volume sometime... *hug yotsuba* My favorite chapter is in the next volume when she goes around "shooting" everyone. Its hilarious XD
Kawaiikneko

Postby Wild Eagle » Sat Jul 23, 2005 2:35 pm

Yotsubato is awesome! I just started reading it today and I've never laughed so hard in my life:lol:. I love the fact that it's very clean and it has good, wholesome humor. Must...read...more...
"Have mercy on me O God, according to your unfailing love; according to your great compassion, blot out my transgressions" Psalm 51:1

"Though you have made me see troubles, many and bitter, you will restore my life again; from the depths of the earth, you will again bring me up." Psalm 71:20

"An eye for an eye, will only make the whole world blind."- Mahatma Gandhi
Wild Eagle

Next

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews