Hana Kimi!

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

Hana Kimi!

Postby Mangafanatic » Wed Jun 01, 2005 2:56 pm

Seeing as Su-tan and Mave are fans of this manga, I thought I'd start a little conversation thread for this series.

I've just finished the first three volumes of this series and I'm completely hooked!! Sano is quite possibly one of the more admirable and awesome male characters in any manga I've read so far.

Normally, I don't like gender bender manga, but this one has completely fascinated. Is anyone else loving this manga with me?
Every year in Uganda, innumerable children simply. . . disappear. These children all stolen under the cover of darkness from their homes and impressed into the guerilla armies of the LRA [Lord's Resistance Army]. In the deserts of Uganda, they are forced to witness the mindless slaughter of other children until they themselves can do nothing but kill. Kill. These children, generally ranging from ages 5-12, are brainwashed into murdering in the name of the resistance and into stealing other children from their beds to suffer the same fate.

Because of this genocide of innocence, hundred and hundreds of children live every night sleeping in public places miles from their homes, because they know that if the do not-- they will disappear. They will become just another number in this genocide to which the international community has chosen to turn a blind eye. They will become, in affect, invisible-- Invisible Children.

But there are those who are trying to fight against this slaughter of Uganda's children. They fight to protect these "invisible children." Please, help them help a country full of children who know nothing by fear. Help save the innocence. For more information concerning how you can help and how you can get an incredible video about this horrific reality, visit the Invisible Children home page.
Mangafanatic

Postby Indigo_Eyes » Wed Jun 01, 2005 4:51 pm

Since I'm hearing so many good things about it from a lot of different people, I might actually read it, but I'm still kinda wary what with the gay school nurse and all. Still, so many people on here are saying great things... next time I go to the bookstore I'll check it out :)
" 'Tis strange-but true; for truth is always strange, stranger than fiction." ~Lord Byron

"When you see a fork in the road, take it." ~Yogi Berra
Indigo_Eyes

Postby Jasdero » Wed Jun 01, 2005 5:01 pm

*zoom*

*___* Hana.. Kimi... *giggle* XDD;;;; Yes, this manga is positively wonderful! I downloaded the scanslations before it was liscenced, and I remember staying up all night reading up to the point where they had last translated it. >=O Then! I got Little T-chan hooked on it. XD Minami Nanba is my favorite character. Eheehee.. XD;;

Well, Hana Kimi is 23 volumes, guys! The ending.. well... I'm not going to give it away, but just.. the ending is so... sudden/rushed. XD; I'll just say that. Other than that, I loved it. ^__^
Jasdero

Postby Mangafanatic » Wed Jun 01, 2005 6:27 pm

TWNETY THREE VOLUMES!! I'l be-- old by the time they translate it all! *sigh* Oh well.

To think it could be that old and still feel rushed. That's unfortuneate.
Every year in Uganda, innumerable children simply. . . disappear. These children all stolen under the cover of darkness from their homes and impressed into the guerilla armies of the LRA [Lord's Resistance Army]. In the deserts of Uganda, they are forced to witness the mindless slaughter of other children until they themselves can do nothing but kill. Kill. These children, generally ranging from ages 5-12, are brainwashed into murdering in the name of the resistance and into stealing other children from their beds to suffer the same fate.

Because of this genocide of innocence, hundred and hundreds of children live every night sleeping in public places miles from their homes, because they know that if the do not-- they will disappear. They will become just another number in this genocide to which the international community has chosen to turn a blind eye. They will become, in affect, invisible-- Invisible Children.

But there are those who are trying to fight against this slaughter of Uganda's children. They fight to protect these "invisible children." Please, help them help a country full of children who know nothing by fear. Help save the innocence. For more information concerning how you can help and how you can get an incredible video about this horrific reality, visit the Invisible Children home page.
Mangafanatic

Postby Hoshika » Wed Jun 01, 2005 6:40 pm

I like this manga too. I just find Mizuki's carelessness seriously annoying so while I'm curious as to what happens next I'll be too busy keeping up with the next issue of Hands Off! and W Juliet and basically a bunch of other titles including Cheeky Angel before I check to see what's up with that one again. -_-;
Hoshika

Postby Mave » Wed Jun 01, 2005 11:18 pm

I've done a review on HanaKimi on another manga review website if anyone's interested. (I've read the whole manga series except for 4-5 missing chapters and there may be SPOILERS in this review).

The only thing that I marked Hana Kimi down is the homosexuality of some characters. But apart from that, I love the general storyplot, artstyle and main characters.

http://manga.silver-essence.net/review_hanakimi.php

Sunako, you said you've read -every- single scanlation? I have most of the whole HanaKimi collection except for some missing 4-5 chapters. I wonder whether you could help me...

Osaka, YES!!! Finally another person who recognized how cool Sano is! X33333
Mave

Postby Jasdero » Wed Jun 01, 2005 11:37 pm

Mave wrote:Sunako, you said you've read -every- single scanlation? I have most of the whole HanaKimi collection except for some missing 4-5 chapters. I wonder whether you could help me...

o.o Yep. Even the extra final chapter. Sure, I'll be happy to help. ^__^
Jasdero

Postby Cap'n Nick » Thu Jun 02, 2005 6:38 am

At first I was a bit of a grumpy old man on this one. "You're giving up your life for a chance at a guy you've never even MET?! GRRRRRR!!!" But once I got over that fact and remembered that in shoujo manga crazy things like that actually work, I was able to have a little fun with it. Poor, poor Nakatsu. I think his brain hates him.
Cap'n Nick

Postby Mangafanatic » Thu Jun 02, 2005 7:55 am

Cap'n Crack wrote:At first I was a bit of a grumpy old man on this one. "You're giving up your life for a chance at a guy you've never even MET?! GRRRRRR!!!" But once I got over that fact and remembered that in shoujo manga crazy things like that actually work, I was able to have a little fun with it. Poor, poor Nakatsu. I think his brain hates him.

In addition to this being shoujo manga, keep in mind that girls I know have bough two hundred dollar tickets just to get a chance to POSSIBLE TOUCH Justin Timberlake. Teenage girls do crazy things.

Luckily for our heroine, though, she's in a shoujo manga, as you mentioned, therefore all her sacrifices will be worth it. :lol:

Mangafanatic

Postby Sai » Thu Jun 02, 2005 8:14 am

Is there any sex stuff in this manga?
Sai

Postby Hoshika » Thu Jun 02, 2005 9:28 am

Yes, there is an extra manga at the end of the first volume (U.S. Vis publication), but you don't get to seeing anything but the characters kissing and few uttered things that are so not G-rated.
Hoshika

Postby Jasdero » Thu Jun 02, 2005 10:40 am

Cap'n Crack wrote:At first I was a bit of a grumpy old man on this one. "You're giving up your life for a chance at a guy you've never even MET?! GRRRRRR!!!" But once I got over that fact and remembered that in shoujo manga crazy things like that actually work, I was able to have a little fun with it. Poor, poor Nakatsu. I think his brain hates him.

XD!!!!! Ahhahaha. Nakatsu... he had an adorable personality.... I wonder how that works in reality. o.o *curious*
Hoshika wrote:Yes, there is an extra manga at the end of the first volume (U.S. Vis publication), but you don't get to seeing anything but the characters kissing and few uttered things that are so not G-rated.

*nodnod* There's also a few suggestive images between Umeda and various male characters, but nothing that's going to make you say "O___O ZOMG MY EYES! MY INNOCENCE!" ^__^;;;
Jasdero

Postby Hoshika » Thu Jun 02, 2005 11:24 am

I don't there is anyone who doesn't like Nakatsu. Still, to be the resident cry baby he doesn't seem to give the water works that often... just more often than the other characters, that's for sure.

Yeah, Sunako is pretty much right. Nothing that would be too damaging, but if you have an issue with that kind of thing it could realy irk you. Still, nowhere near the explicite scenes in Berserk--> Ah, my eyes! My innocence! :waah!:
Hoshika

Postby Jasdero » Thu Jun 02, 2005 12:01 pm

Hoshika wrote:I don't there is anyone who doesn't like Nakatsu. Still, to be the resident cry baby he doesn't seem to give the water works that often... just more often than the other characters, that's for sure.

XDD]Yeah, Sunako is pretty much right. Nothing that would be too damaging, but if you have an issue with that kind of thing it could realy irk you. Still, nowhere near the explicite scenes in Berserk--> Ah, my eyes! My innocence! :waah!:[/QUOTE]
Yeah, I know a few people who couldn't handle the way the subject matter (Umeda sexual preference) was presented. XD Beserk, eh? I've never heard of it. *checks out Anime News Network*
Jasdero

Postby Mangafanatic » Thu Jun 02, 2005 4:02 pm

I'd say there's more on the Homosexual inuenndo score that you would find offensive in what I've read, personally.

There is [spoiler]an attempted rape[/spoiler], but someone interrupts before much really happens.

Mangafanatic

Postby Hoshika » Thu Jun 02, 2005 6:43 pm

As for the spoiler I read that far as well. I thought it was stupid.... Perhaps it's just my irritation at the main character speaking.
Hoshika

Postby Jasdero » Thu Jun 02, 2005 6:48 pm

Hoshika wrote:As for the spoiler I read that far as well. I thought it was stupid.... Perhaps it's just my irritation at the main character speaking.

Yeah, I'd have to agree. Something about that whole area of the manga really irritated me. It was so... unnecessary -- in my opinion, anyway.
Jasdero

Postby Mave » Thu Jun 02, 2005 8:00 pm

I didn't like what happened in the spoiler *shakes fist at the offender* but it did serve as a wake-up call to Mizuki. In the beginning, she was too gullible and easily trusted guys since she grew up in a good family and safe environment.

I think another reason she was so trusting to guys is [spoiler]due to her encounter with old friend, Gilbert. He was a good guy who took care of her when she ran away from her family as a young girl. Maybe Mizuku assumed all guys would be like him and therefore, didn't suspect that...that 'jerk' would attempt to hurt her. Just my two cents. ^^ [/spoiler]

Anyway, what I DO like about this section, is seeing how it forces Sano to be more active in the role of protecting her. hehehe First, Sano is sharp enough to sniff out jerks/perverts and secondly, he won't hesitate to let out a well-deserved punch where it's needed. Go Sano! *0*)//
Mave

Postby Hoshika » Fri Jun 03, 2005 6:59 am

Mizuki is just slow..... or could it be the author's thoughts toward girls in the U.S.--> They are all gullible and can't recoginize danger even though it's practically slapping them in the face. Oh my! What a statement... No I think it's just Mizuki :p.

I agree with Sunako. I that was seriously stupid and pointless... unless it was just a set up to show how virtuous Sano is but then again
[spoiler]he stole a kiss while she was basically knocked out from a fever... how romantic. :p[/spoiler]
Hoshika

Postby Mave » Fri Jun 03, 2005 7:26 am

Hoshika wrote:Mizuki is just slow..... or could it be the author's thoughts toward girls in the U.S.--> They are all gullible and can't recoginize danger even though it's practically slapping them in the face. Oh my! What a statement... No I think it's just Mizuki :p.

LOL I think it's -just- Mizuki. It can't be a generalization of girls in U.S. because

[spoiler] Julie (sp?), Mizuki's best friend from the U.S. who came over to Japan, could smell a playboy within 10 meters *cough*Nanba*cough* and she was pretty sharp in guessing exactly what was going on between Sano and Mizuki. Yeah Julia kicked butt alright X33
[/spoiler]

[spoiler=posted by Hoshika]he stole a kiss while she was basically knocked out from a fever... how romantic. :p[/spoiler]
(0_0)!! Did that really happen? I thought he stopped himself halfway! :sweat: Maybe I'm the one who's gullible now......
Mave

Postby Mangafanatic » Fri Jun 03, 2005 8:10 am

*Wants to know spoiler stuff, but doesn't want to know spoiler stuff.* AHHH!!!

Mangafanatic

Postby Indigo_Eyes » Fri Jun 03, 2005 5:21 pm

Mangafanatic wrote:*Wants to know spoiler stuff, but doesn't want to know spoiler stuff.* AHHH!!!

Lol I look at the spoiler stuff anyway... I'm bad like that. So anyways, today I read the first volume of Hana Kimi :) When Mizuki asked the nurse about his old love, that made me a bit uncomfortable, but other than that I thought it was good. I didn't get a chance to look through other volumes in that series though because there were other stuff there to read.... like W Juliet :D I got to read the first volume of that too, and I thought it was really good.
" 'Tis strange-but true; for truth is always strange, stranger than fiction." ~Lord Byron

"When you see a fork in the road, take it." ~Yogi Berra
Indigo_Eyes

Postby Mave » Sat Jun 04, 2005 8:20 am

Hmm....I was wondering, does anyone want to make a manga review of HanaKimi for CAA? I've already done it at Manga Necessity and it's always better to have a second opinion.
Mave

Postby Jasdero » Sat Jun 04, 2005 10:53 am

Mangafanatic wrote:*Wants to know spoiler stuff, but doesn't want to know spoiler stuff.* AHHH!!!

Don't do it!!!!!!! O____O
× s h i n i e s , y e s ? ×

does it not burn... LIKE THE SUN?!
Jasdero

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews