I'm getting ticked off at Watsuki...

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

I'm getting ticked off at Watsuki...

Postby Heart of Sword » Mon May 30, 2005 4:08 pm

He'd better bring out the romantic comedy again. REAL soon. I'm getting kind of sick of all the fight scenes. Kenshin's awesome Battousai-ness kind of loses its sting when you've seen it more than ten times a manga. I really hope the Kyoto arc is over soon...it is deathly boring. *yawwwwn* I mean, I know it's shonen, but he's perfectly aware that the majority of the readers are female. And I mean, come on, even boys have to get bored with fighting. I'm a tomboy, but still............

Does anyone know when the Kyoto arc is over? *dies of absolute boredom*
Heart of Sword's Rhapsody

Money, get away
Get a good job with good pay and you're okay
And all and all you're just another brick in the wall
Shoutin’ in the street gonna take on the world some day
But Bismallah will not let me go
Because I'll see you on the dark side of the moon

Tommy used to work on the docks
Union's been on strike
Bright eyes burning like fire
And exposing every weakness
However carefully hidden by the kids

Who will love a little Sparrow
Who's traveled far and cries for rest
Spare him his life from this monstrosity

I've seen a million faces and I've rocked them all
And if the band youre in starts playing different tunes
We will we will rock you
We will we will rock you!

[Pink Floyd fan listening to Queen and hugging trees which is also known as taking care of God's creation with a pair of headphones on listening to Nightwish as loud as possible while writing a novel on a computer in the middle of a field filled with Wolves.]

[Bassist...finally learning Money]
Heart of Sword

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Mon May 30, 2005 5:04 pm

IT's not over for a few more volumes. Don't you worry, it gets good.
Shao Feng-Li

Postby Sai » Tue May 31, 2005 11:44 am

I think the kyoto arc finishes around volume 16ish
Sai

Postby Kkun » Tue May 31, 2005 12:39 pm

Since when was RuroKen romantic comedy? Besides, I much prefer the Kyoto arc and Revenge arc to everything else. The Kyoto arc is so much better than the first six books.
I'm a shoe-in for hater of the year.
Kkun

Postby oro! » Tue May 31, 2005 12:45 pm

*Points at K-kun* YOU"RE a GUY. Or haven't you noticed it?
"I've learned when you throw mud at others, not only do you get your hands dirty, but you also lose a lot of ground." Ravi Zacharias
"Pride grows in the human heart like lard on a pig." Aleksander Solzhenitzen (so call me on it)
"Zeal without knowledge can lead to chaos." - Bob Rohm
"Why don't we love his truth as much as we seem to love his love?"- Cross Movement, in their song "Check us Out"
oro!

Postby Hoshika » Tue May 31, 2005 2:41 pm

Kkun wrote:Since when was RuroKen romantic comedy? Besides, I much prefer the Kyoto arc and Revenge arc to everything else. The Kyoto arc is so much better than the first six books.

The man makes a point. I think most girls by Rurouni Kenshin Just to drool over Himura.

I'm a fan of the anime more than the manga (yes, I know it's twisted but the fights look best in motion) and even though Kenshin is the main and star character I was cheering on Saito when they got into that nearly deadly fight. I'm really glad Watsuki made the manga otherwise the anime wouldn't exist. ^_^
Hoshika

Postby haru_bay_nay » Tue May 31, 2005 3:28 pm

I totally agree, Heart of Sword!!! I mean, the action is SERIOUSLY AWESOME, but some other stuff thrown in every now and then would be nice. I mean, the last couple volumes have had practically nothing but action throughout.

You naysayers need to read the backcover of any one of the RK manga. In a small paragraph, it names the genres of the series, and at the end mentions, and I quote: "...and of course, romantic comedy." Take that! (Just messin' with ya, guys. ;) ) It really does say that, though.

Hoshika:
I think most girls by Rurouni Kenshin Just to drool over Himura.

Excuse me, but that is stereotypical and unfair. Sure, that's true of some female readers/viewers, but I really think that most of us are more interested in the actual story line than in how "hott" or "dreamy" the main character is. I understand you're intitled to your opinion, and sorry if I'm out of line, but I didn't care much for that statement.

I'm a bit behind in buying the manga(only on volume #12) due to less frequent visits to Barnes and Noble. Can someone tell me how many are out and/or when the next one is scheduled to get here?
haru_bay_nay

Postby MasterDias » Tue May 31, 2005 3:34 pm

It's a shonen manga. It ran in Weekly Shonen Jump.

Romance is not usually going to be the main focus of a shonen fighting manga, which Rurouni Kenshin is.

The Tokyo arc basically sets up for the rest of the series. Manga-ka in a big anthology like Jump will use the first 5-6 books to make sure that their series won't get cancelled early and then they will generally do what they want to with the story.

Volume 15 should be the most recent volume that has been released.

The Kyoto arc lasts through volume 17 and finishes up at the beginning of volume 18.
-----------------------------------------
"Always seek to do good to one another and to all."
1 Thessalonians 5:15

"Every story must have an ending." - Auron - Final Fantasy X

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby Hoshika » Tue May 31, 2005 3:37 pm

haru_bay_nay wrote:I totally agree, Heart of Sword!!! I mean, the action is SERIOUSLY AWESOME, but some other stuff thrown in every now and then would be nice. I mean, the last couple volumes have had practically nothing but action throughout.

You naysayers need to read the backcover of any one of the RK manga. In a small paragraph, it names the genres of the series, and at the end mentions, and I quote: "...and of course, romantic comedy." Take that! (Just messin' with ya, guys. ]Hoshika:[/B]

Excuse me, but that is stereotypical and unfair. Sure, that's true of some female readers/viewers, but I really think that most of us are more interested in the actual story line than in how "hott" or "dreamy" the main character is. I understand you're intitled to your opinion, and sorry if I'm out of line, but I didn't care much for that statement.

I'm a bit behind in buying the manga(only on volume #12) due to less frequent visits to Barnes and Noble. Can someone tell me how many are out and/or when the next one is scheduled to get here?

:lol: Someone figured it out... DARN!

Yes, it's true. A good chunk of the title was left untranslated. I think it was something like "warrior of love" or some sappy thing like that. Really I can't stand Kenshin and it honestly feel the story should have been more about Saito. :lol: Seriously he is a way better fighter. Kenshin couldn't hold his own in a fist fight if his life depended on it. Go Saito! :thumb:

Hm, yes as for my seemingly sexist statement I'm just going by all the fan sites and message boards. You can drown in the droolage- not that I think all girls believe Kenshin is the hottest thing since the sun, but I haven't found one who doesn't thus far. :p
Hoshika

Postby Hitokiri » Wed Jun 01, 2005 7:06 am

I find the fight scenes in Rurouni Kenshin to be one of it's strong points. Sure, I do like when Kenshin and Kaoru interact but it won't hold my intrest as much as fight scenes do. Very very good manga series but overall.

Romance...bah who needs it (says a guy who has tons of romance anime and manga and love romance scenes :lol: )

Yes, I'm not a big fan of Kenshin either. Go Sanosuke!
Hitokiri

Postby Kkun » Wed Jun 01, 2005 8:35 am

Hoshika wrote::lol: Someone figured it out... DARN!

Yes, it's true. A good chunk of the title was left untranslated. I think it was something like "warrior of love" or some sappy thing like that. Really I can't stand Kenshin and it honestly feel the story should have been more about Saito. :lol: Seriously he is a way better fighter. Kenshin couldn't hold his own in a fist fight if his life depended on it. Go Saito! :thumb:

Hm, yes as for my seemingly sexist statement I'm just going by all the fan sites and message boards. You can drown in the droolage- not that I think all girls believe Kenshin is the hottest thing since the sun, but I haven't found one who doesn't thus far. :p

I like Kenshin, but yes, I concur: Saitou is the best character ever. In fact, my old CAA username was "aku_soku_zan" up until about a month ago. Saitou made the Kyoto arc for me. So cool.
Kkun

Postby Mangafanatic » Wed Jun 01, 2005 9:01 am

Hoshika wrote:The man makes a point. I think most girls by Rurouni Kenshin Just to drool over Himura.

. . .

Osaka: WE'VE BEEN DISCOVERED! HEAD FOR THE HILLS!!!

*Woman are thrown into a panic and fly in all directions, screaming. After [several] moments of confusion, one of the ladies slows in her paniced frenzy and turns to the others.*

HeartofSword: Ladies! Ladies! Please! Why are WE the ones running.

*ladies ponder this new revelation for a moments, and then turn as one of Hoshika*

Osaka: *looks at watch* You have exactly five seconds until we kill you to keep our secret safe. I suggest you run.

;)

-----------------

No really, I'm SEVERAL volumes behind on Kenshin, 'cause my stupid friend who was buying them just stopped. Some non-sense about going on the same missions trip as me and needing the money for that. . .

Furthermore, I'd just like to take this moment to point out that I don't read RK because I think Kenshin is some super hot bishie. Honestly, if he didn't have such an awesome personality, I wouldn't be attracted to him at all (probably because he has more hair than I do.)
Every year in Uganda, innumerable children simply. . . disappear. These children all stolen under the cover of darkness from their homes and impressed into the guerilla armies of the LRA [Lord's Resistance Army]. In the deserts of Uganda, they are forced to witness the mindless slaughter of other children until they themselves can do nothing but kill. Kill. These children, generally ranging from ages 5-12, are brainwashed into murdering in the name of the resistance and into stealing other children from their beds to suffer the same fate.

Because of this genocide of innocence, hundred and hundreds of children live every night sleeping in public places miles from their homes, because they know that if the do not-- they will disappear. They will become just another number in this genocide to which the international community has chosen to turn a blind eye. They will become, in affect, invisible-- Invisible Children.

But there are those who are trying to fight against this slaughter of Uganda's children. They fight to protect these "invisible children." Please, help them help a country full of children who know nothing by fear. Help save the innocence. For more information concerning how you can help and how you can get an incredible video about this horrific reality, visit the Invisible Children home page.
Mangafanatic

Postby Kkun » Wed Jun 01, 2005 9:07 am

Mangafanatic wrote:. . .

No really, I'm SEVERAL volumes behind on Kenshin, 'cause my stupid friend who was buying them just stopped. Some non-sense about going on the same missions trip as me and needing the money for that. . .

Furthermore, I'd just like to take this moment to point out that I don't read RK because I think Kenshin is some super hot bishie. Honestly, if he didn't have such an awesome personality, I wouldn't be attracted to him at all (probably because he has more hair than I do.)

Also, for the ladies who do think Kenshin is a super hot bishie, his hair is a mullet when he loses the little band keeping his ponytail in place. Kenshin has some of the sweetest 10-90 action going on that I've ever seen in an anime character. Kenshin would fit in so well at a monster truck rally or Nascar event. It'd be pretty awesome.
Kkun

Postby Doubleshadow » Wed Jun 01, 2005 10:16 am

Kkun:
AHAHAHAHA!!! That's hysterical!

I love the story most myself, and I enjoy the character designs and general style of the manga-ka. *Notices fangirls circling Hoshika like sharks after a wounded seal*
Hey! Fangirls! *points off to side to distract them* It's a mysteroius angst ridden bishounen! If you hurry you can redeem him with your powers of true love!
[color="Red"]As a man thinks in his heart, so is he. - Proverbs 23:7[/color]

The Sundries
Robin: "If we close our eyes, we can't see anything."
Batman: "A sound observation, Robin."
Doubleshadow

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Wed Jun 01, 2005 11:18 am

The man makes a point. I think most girls by Rurouni Kenshin Just to drool over Himura.

I guess I'm the odd ball, but a drool over Himura anyway.
Shao Feng-Li

Postby Hoshika » Wed Jun 01, 2005 12:14 pm

Hitokiri wrote:I find the fight scenes in Rurouni Kenshin to be one of it's strong points. Sure, I do like when Kenshin and Kaoru interact but it won't hold my intrest as much as fight scenes do. Very very good manga series but overall.

Romance...bah who needs it (says a guy who has tons of romance anime and manga and love romance scenes :lol: )

Yes, I'm not a big fan of Kenshin either. Go Sanosuke!

Yesh, Sano is kinda cool... but Saito keeps whopping on him like there is not tomarrow. It is rather mean but I can see why he picks on him so much- the guy is too easy to riled up. :lol: Saito is kinda like a cat playing with a mouse when it comes to Sano. (shame)

Mangafanatic don't worry. I do my fair share of drooling too, but I have far too much shame to name names. So your secret is safe. :lol:
Hoshika

Postby Mave » Wed Jun 01, 2005 12:26 pm

The Kyoto Arc gets done in Volume 17. There are a lot of fights throughout the whole series but I dunno, I like it.

Soujiro Seta and Saitou Hajime are my fav. RK characters so....

Vol 13 and 16 are the best, IMO.

Great action scenes make the bishies even hotter, IMO. ;)
Mave

Postby Hoshika » Wed Jun 01, 2005 6:46 pm

XD You think Saito is a bishie? Wow! You go Saito some people actually drool over you!
I just think he's kinda cool... though a bit psychotic. Not the kind of person I'd like to meet in real life.
Hoshika

Postby Mave » Wed Jun 01, 2005 11:12 pm

hehe Saito is kinda freaky in some way but then again, so is Soujiro and 90% of RK characters. :lol: But I love them anyway...X3
Mave

Postby Hoshika » Thu Jun 02, 2005 9:24 am

Mave wrote:hehe Saito is kinda freaky in some way but then again, so is Soujiro and 90% of RK characters. :lol: But I love them anyway...X3

Yeah, that is right; Kenshin has a split persona, Saito thinks he's a wolf, Enishi.... has a psychotic sister complex, (and what was that mummy dude's name again the one who took a chunk out of Kenshin?) he is truly psychotic and uncurably evil, Soujiro is crazy but he's transgression is more understandable than the rest of them with theorapy he'll be just fine. I still can't believe he is an adult he looks like an adorable little boy and even talks like one...
Hoshika

Postby Mave » Thu Jun 02, 2005 10:36 am

:grin: Mummy dude is Shishio and I think he's the most deranged of them all, although Enishi comes pretty close to winning my vote.

Let's see who else...Aoshi is over-consumed with grief and doesn't really talk at all, Jin looks like a psychotic Gambit ripoff, Enishi's henchmen don't seem to have a single ounce of sanity or conscience........
[spoiler= Kamatari] Kamatari is obsessed with Shishio and he is quite gender-confused [/spoiler] Hey, whoever said Ruroni Kenshin was boring (hahaha)? ;)
Mave

Postby Hoshika » Thu Jun 02, 2005 11:18 am

LOL I think you would have to be pretty thick not to see what Kamatari's issue is.

Yes, Enishi and Shishio would have to battle it out for most psychotic.
I think Sano is one of the few sane characters... but then again he's close freinds with Kenshin...<.<
Hoshika

Postby Seaniel » Thu Jun 02, 2005 11:56 am

I refused to collect any of Rurouni Kenshin until the Jinchuu arc. I've seen the entire anime series up to season 3 (I refuse to watch season 3 on ethical grounds), and I don't care about the differences scattered about. All I care about is seeing Enishi, as well as the great character development in the Jinchuu.

I will be honest with you Enishi is part of the reason I even still like Kenshin. Something about that kid gets my blood moving faster. I love him.
"This is not dystrophy, but desire.
Desire for comfort in the dark."
~Jason Gleason
Seaniel

Postby Hoshika » Thu Jun 02, 2005 6:37 pm

Yeah, I heard season 3 got kind weird. I'd love to Enishi in action myself. You know you don't have to wait you might be able to find it at CDJapan.co.jp. If you have the money and a region 2 DVD player it's all good.

As for the manga I couldn't get into. I read the first volume and was like boring. The characters and story seemed so flat. What vol. do things actually pick up?
Hoshika

Postby Mave » Thu Jun 02, 2005 8:11 pm

You do have a point, Seaniel. I think Enishi did the best job in torturing Kenshin.....:thumb: I bet Kenshin would rather go through a hundred Shishios since Enishi thumbed the ultimate guilt button.

Hoshika, I believe the Kyoto Arc begins in Volume 7 and things get a little more interesting after that (since Soujirou and Saitou have already appeared hehehe <--I'm so biased! XD ). The Jinchuu Arc should begin in Vol 19.
Mave

Postby Hoshika » Fri Jun 03, 2005 6:56 am

Yippie yippie! Yay yay! Thanks for letting me know Mave! I can't wait! (Likes seeing the said hero of the manga get beat up. :D )
Hoshika

Postby Radical Dreamer » Wed Jun 08, 2005 6:58 pm

Hoshika wrote:The man makes a point. I think most girls by Rurouni Kenshin Just to drool over Himura.

Excuuuuse me....:rant: I happen to be a girl who loves Rurouni Kenshin NOT ONLY for Kenshin, but for the battle scenes, the deep story line, the historical aspect, the unforgettable characters, the romantic storyline, and the comedy! You make girls who like RK sound like a bunch of shallow Backstreet Boy fangirls!! We're a lot deeper than that, y'know! Most girls I know who like RK read it because they find it to be an incredibly interesting and cool (teh coolishesht) series. I've spent a load of cash on that series, and was it just so I could stare at Kenshin?? No sir!! (although it was a nice perk! XD) Case in point, girls do not simply buy RK to drool over its bishies. We are capable of understanding and truly enjoying a good storyline. Now...I shall cease to rant here and actually reply to the topic. Thank you for your time. ^_^ *bows*
------------------------
EDIT:

Mangafanatic, I completely agree!! Kenshin's personality is 98% of the reason why I do find him attractive...even though he is still hot...^_^
END EDIT
------------------------

*ahem* Actually, I have found that the Kyoto Arc is one of my favorites. Vols. 7 and 14 were by far Watsuki-san's best in my opinion, for several reasons.

> The fight between Saitoh and Kenshin is absolutely fantastic. Loverly battle sequence, just loverly.

> The end of Vol. 7 almost made me cry (and I hardly ever cry when it comes to books, movies, etc.)...It was so sad, but at the same time, so sweet! ^_^ I lurfish it.

> Well, I didn't mention this one in my list of two absolute favorites, but Vol. 8 made me laugh until I cried...Misao's just great.

> Vol. 14 was simply spectacular. You just can't get much better than Kenshin vs. Aoshi. You just can't. I'm sure that was one of the best battle sequences in the mangas thus far.

But you have to remember, while the Kyoto Arc is practically leading up to one big battle, it isn't all about battles and whatnot. I mean, I think Watsuki does a fine job of keeping the romantic storyline intact with Kenshin and Kaoru basically being part of two separate storylines. Also, while I absolutely love the romantic storyline in RK, you don't need a romantic scene to have a good manga. I just finsihed reading Vol. 15, and I practically went into fangirlish spasms during the battle sequences, due to the complete coolness of it all. Not to worry, though--I hear the Jinchuu Arc has a lot more of the romantic storyline to it, so if you really hate Kyoto that much, Watsuki said he'd even the playing field a bit once Kyoto was finished. I have personally loved all of the manga's story arcs so far, so I'm definitely gonna stick with it til the end! ^_^
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby Hoshika » Thu Jun 09, 2005 2:49 am

Doubleshadow wrote:Kkun:
AHAHAHAHA!!! That's hysterical!

I love the story most myself, and I enjoy the character designs and general style of the manga-ka. *Notices fangirls circling Hoshika like sharks after a wounded seal*
Hey! Fangirls! *points off to side to distract them* It's a mysteroius angst ridden bishounen! If you hurry you can redeem him with your powers of true love!

:lol: Thanks for trying but seeing how Kenshin is the King Bishi for these fan girls nothing can distract them from the objective of destroying this supposedly evil male chauvinist. :P

Hey Kaoru ;) Yes, well of course most girls wouldn't buy a manga just to stare at one bishi. Wasuki did put in more bishi characters besides Kenshin after all... I mean there had to be to keep the fan girls interested- one bishi isn't enough after all! :lol:

But seriously, if important characters Kenshin, Sano, Aoshi, Enishi looked more like Goku from Dragon Ball Z or Armstrong from FMA I seriously doubt that the manga would have so many female readers. Without seeing Bishi Ken on the cover I really doubt it would have caught any girl's attention at all. I mean Yu-Gi-Oh! supposedly has an excellent story line but I have yet to see hundreds of fangirl droolage sites devoted to the main character or any character from that manga. There are other good Shounen manga that very well may be more interesting than Rurouni Kenshin but because they don't ooze bishi they very rarely get noticed by female consumers.

Honestly speaking, I got ticked off at Wasuki from vol. 1. I just couldn't continue cause the story line and characters were just so blah. Someone said it gets better by vol. 7 but that is six whole volumes away from the start of the supposed story. Do you know who many Shounen Jump magazines that would be up until that point? Oiya ma, I honestly think it was due to a miracle that this manga became so popular.

Okay, I shared my honest thoughts on the matter. Now, all whom feel I'm being a sexist pig may pull out their butcher knives and chase me around CAA with them. :p
-_- <waiting to get pounced on again.

Edit: for grammar and spelling :p
Hoshika

Postby MasterDias » Thu Jun 09, 2005 10:45 am

Hoshika wrote:Honestly speaking, I got ticked off at Wasuki from vol. 1. I just couldn't continue cause the story line and characters were just so blah. Someone said it gets better by vol. 7 but that is six whole volumes away from the start of the supposed story. Do you know who many Shounen Jump magazines that would be up until that point? Oiya ma, I honestly think it was due to a miracle that this manga became so popular.

I think I stated this somewhere before but...

Manga-ka in a popular anthology like Shonen Jump will often use the first five or six volumes to make sure Jump won't cancel the manga prematurely.
Then, they can do what they want with the series.

Rurouni Kenshin is the same way. The Tokyo arc, the first six volumes, was used to introduce the major characters and make sure there is at least some interest in the manga. The story picks up around volume seven.
-----------------------------------------
"Always seek to do good to one another and to all."
1 Thessalonians 5:15

"Every story must have an ending." - Auron - Final Fantasy X

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby Radical Dreamer » Thu Jun 09, 2005 1:46 pm

<-- thinks Hoshika is a sexist pig. XD

Didn't I JUST say that I didn't read it for the bishis??? I used to watch Dragon Ball Z ALL THE TIME, and it was never for any bishis (watched from Saiyin Saga to end of Cell Saga)!! Ghost in the Shell is a good anime, not many bishis in that! I don't find any characters in Inu-Yasha very attractive, but I watch that all the time!! The same is true with Gundam Seed, .Hack, Cowboy Bebop, etcetera, etcetera, etcetera! I've only actually watched Yu-Yu Hakusho once, and I don't watch/read it on a regular basis because a) it doesn't even come on tv anymore, and b) I'm not too sure about the whole demon thing. So there. XP

So please, stop stereotyping all of us girls in to bishi fanatics! Yes, I do like the bishis, but that's not what makes a good series. For example, I think Battou is an awesome character from Ghost in the Shell, but he's not attractive in any way. For Pete's sake, I thought Jinei was a cool antagonist, but I wasn't attracted to him in the least! Same goes for Saitoh; he's incredibly cool, but not so attractive. And Hiko's becoming one of my favorite RK characters! You can't judge a book by it's cover, bishis or no bishis. You also can't judge an anime/manga fangirl by HER cover, so bleah. ^_^ Now, I hope we can end this, and just talk about the masterpiece that is Ruroken without the stereotypage, eh? Thanks. :thumb:
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Next

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews