What Manga For My Age Group??

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

What Manga For My Age Group??

Postby Alice » Sun May 29, 2005 7:23 pm

So... taking my hat in my hands, and gritting my teeth, I ask --

What manga would I be reading if I was reading for my age/gender level? (Female in early 20s)

I read mostly things that are slated at young children or young teens.

But sometimes I get sick of them. Sometimes the romance comics especially seem very juvenile to me. (I'm sorry! Don't hurt me!)

I wondered if anyone knows what I would be reading if I was reading to my age level... and even harder...

Is any of it *fit to read??*

I'm not sure I could read romance slated for my age, because... I hate filth!
Alice

Postby Arnobius » Sun May 29, 2005 8:02 pm

Alice wrote:So... taking my hat in my hands, and gritting my teeth, I ask --

What manga would I be reading if I was reading for my age/gender level? (Female in early 20s)

I read mostly things that are slated at young children or young teens.

But sometimes I get sick of them. Sometimes the romance comics especially seem very juvenile to me. (I'm sorry! Don't hurt me!)

I wondered if anyone knows what I would be reading if I was reading to my age level... and even harder...

Is any of it *fit to read??*

I'm not sure I could read romance slated for my age, because... I hate filth!

Well, Unfortunately, a lot of Seinen (me) and josei (you) manga is pretty explicit, either sex or violence wise, so the stuff I tend to read is usually what would be for Japanese teens
Arnobius

Postby Ashley » Sun May 29, 2005 9:30 pm

You might enjoy Spiral--the one with Ayumu Narumi coming out in the fall, not the one currently out. I've seen a few dvds of the anime, and I was blown away. It is very complex, and deals with laws of logic and physics (in a cool, not boring way) rather than "oo, Ayumu! You're so hot! But I can't tell you!" etc.

The only other manga I could think of would be something like Cowboy Bebop or Kenshin; i.e. more action than romance
Ashley

Postby Kkun » Mon May 30, 2005 7:36 am

Read Rurouni Kenshin, especially the Revenge/Jinchuu Arc when it starts being releases I think sometime this or next year. That's not a kiddie story and deals with Kaoru/Kenshin's relationship in a whole new light.

I know you said manga of your gender as well, but hey, I know more girls who like Rurouni Kenshin than guys. Honestly, I don't watch/read much anime so that's really one of the few that I know.
I'm a shoe-in for hater of the year.
Kkun

Postby Hoshika » Mon May 30, 2005 8:06 am

Hm, while Rurouni Kenshin does have a some serious themes going it is still a manga for young boys. I am not sure of any manga published in the U.S. for older people to read that does mean adult=let's throw in a lot of sex and violence.
Perhaps, it's just time for you to move on to reading novels more than manga?
Hoshika

Postby Alice » Mon May 30, 2005 8:15 am

But I do read novels...
Alice

Postby Mangafanatic » Mon May 30, 2005 9:40 am

Ever read Fruits Basket? If you haven't, you must go do it now!! [/end necessary plug]
Every year in Uganda, innumerable children simply. . . disappear. These children all stolen under the cover of darkness from their homes and impressed into the guerilla armies of the LRA [Lord's Resistance Army]. In the deserts of Uganda, they are forced to witness the mindless slaughter of other children until they themselves can do nothing but kill. Kill. These children, generally ranging from ages 5-12, are brainwashed into murdering in the name of the resistance and into stealing other children from their beds to suffer the same fate.

Because of this genocide of innocence, hundred and hundreds of children live every night sleeping in public places miles from their homes, because they know that if the do not-- they will disappear. They will become just another number in this genocide to which the international community has chosen to turn a blind eye. They will become, in affect, invisible-- Invisible Children.

But there are those who are trying to fight against this slaughter of Uganda's children. They fight to protect these "invisible children." Please, help them help a country full of children who know nothing by fear. Help save the innocence. For more information concerning how you can help and how you can get an incredible video about this horrific reality, visit the Invisible Children home page.
Mangafanatic

Postby Alice » Mon May 30, 2005 10:04 am

Well, I'm watching the anime with my brother, and yesterday I took a look at the manga in the book store. I may want to read some of it, if it goes on longer than the anime. ^-^

Which, hint hint, I will want to discuss soon... so if there are any threads about the anime where I won't be gravedigging, I'll be glad. :)
Alice

Postby Ashley » Mon May 30, 2005 2:56 pm

Well, I'm watching the anime with my brother, and yesterday I took a look at the manga in the book store. I may want to read some of it, if it goes on longer than the anime. ^-^

Oh trust me, it does. Starting about hmm, volume 4? It starts mixing up the events seen in the anime, and adding in new stuff. It's still running in Japan.

Which, hint hint, I will want to discuss soon... so if there are any threads about the anime where I won't be gravedigging, I'll be glad.

Actually, gravedigging is less applicable in the entertainment forum threads. We would rather everyone "gravedig" a Naruto thread than make 100 Naruto threads, you know? So that's ok. ^^
Ashley

Postby Alice » Mon May 30, 2005 3:07 pm

Entertainment... as opposed to?

Do you mean anime / manga versus goof off / opinion??
Alice

Postby Hoshika » Mon May 30, 2005 3:44 pm

Alice wrote:But I do read novels...

o_O I didn't mean it like that.... I mean most of the manga published in the U.S. that you can read is meant for teens and younger age groups and then the other stuff.... well... bluntly put is for perverts. It's just easier to find a good read that isn't filled perversion. Though I feel you on wanting that in manga form.... but as a writer my opinion is seriously bias when it comes to this.... :mutter: support the sci-fi and fantasy writers! Buy a book!
Hoshika

Postby Alice » Mon May 30, 2005 5:14 pm

:lol: I usually read 'em from the library.

I admit, I want to read manga for pure escapism -- fun.

But when I found myself getting fed up with some of the romantic elements in anime and manga (yeah, big deal, I'm supposed to go ga-ga over a 13 year old who's good at sports), I started to wonder what I would be reading if I was reading at my age level. (Not that I really planned to do so.)

Anyway, that's when I started this thread. ;)
Alice

Postby Ashley » Mon May 30, 2005 5:43 pm

Entertainment = Anime, Manga, Video Games, Jam Session, the movie board...etc. as yes, opposed to the general/opinion board
Ashley

Postby Alice » Mon May 30, 2005 5:48 pm

Okay, thanks for saying so! ^-^

Heh... I'll do my best to find the right one and not start an unnecessary, new discussion. (I know I've been starting a lot recently, but they seemed new to me... I think.)
People talking without speaking
People hearing without listening
People writing songs that voices never share

And no one dared
Disturb the sound of silence.
Alice

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews