<Death Note> Manga Discussion

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

Postby Kawaiikneko » Sun Apr 17, 2005 7:08 pm

I just liked looking at the pictures... *grins* gaaah I can't wait~ so close and yet so far O.O
Kawaiikneko

Postby Joshua Christopher » Sun Apr 17, 2005 8:24 pm

I'm gonna get my hair like L's. : D

Right now I'm only up to chapter 20.
Joshua Christopher

Postby uc pseudonym » Mon Apr 18, 2005 2:22 pm

kazekami wrote:How do I do that. I'm not familliar with the code. =)

The code is as such: [ spoiler=spoilersubject ] spoiler content [ /spoiler] but without spaces.
uc pseudonym

Postby kazekami » Mon Apr 18, 2005 8:18 pm

Thank you. I have it written down so I will have it for next time.
kazekami

Postby Kawaiikneko » Fri Apr 22, 2005 3:22 pm

*twitch* Viz licensed Deathnote... o.o If the scanlation people decide not to keep going... ToT OMG I CAN'T WAIT A YEAR AND A HALF FOR CH 60!! NOOOOO!!!

but of course, this is a good thing for expanding the fanbase in America~ I will DEFINITELY buy them, even though I hate Viz. Viz BETTER NOT butcher it. *hefts scythe*
Kawaiikneko

Postby kazekami » Fri Apr 22, 2005 7:14 pm

I hope they don't. We can only pray that they do a good job. I know the wait is going to be terrible. Of course i could always just buy it in Japanese and then work on it with my dictonary. I did pay good money for a good one. =)
kazekami

Postby Kaori » Sat Apr 23, 2005 1:32 am

Kawaiikneko wrote:*twitch* Viz licensed Deathnote... o.o If the scanlation people decide not to keep going... ToT OMG I CAN'T WAIT A YEAR AND A HALF FOR CH 60!! NOOOOO!!!

The fact that VIZ would be the company to licence Death Note is not surprising considering how many other Shonen Jump titles they have released, but I did not expect them to do so this soon. I suppose this means we can say goodbye to all the color pages.

It would indeed be disappointing if they stop releasing scanslations--but not quite as frustrating as it would have been a few chapters ago.
Let others believe in the God who brings men to trial and judges them. I shall cling to the God who resurrects the dead.
-St. Nikolai Velimirovich

MAL
Kaori

Postby uc pseudonym » Sat Apr 23, 2005 6:20 am

This is disappointing to hear, but I agree with Kaori: now is far better than prior to this chapter.
uc pseudonym

Postby MasterDias » Sat Apr 23, 2005 11:06 am

I have just three points to make:

1. I seriously doubt that it's going to be butchered. For one thing, there isn't really anything to butcher in Death Note.

2. For a popular title like this one, manga scans will likely always exist.

3. I'm a bit surprised that they licensed it this quickly as well. At the rate that Viz is going, they are going to run out of popular Weekly Jump titles to license within the next few years. Perhaps that's an exaggeration but... I believe that there's only a few Jump titles that Viz did not get in the past, so it's practically a given that any Jump titles will go to Viz in the future.
-----------------------------------------
"Always seek to do good to one another and to all."
1 Thessalonians 5:15

"Every story must have an ending." - Auron - Final Fantasy X

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby Kawaiikneko » Sat Apr 23, 2005 1:15 pm

Well Jump gets new ones every once in awhile... still.... I still hate VIz for what they did to inuyasha *takes a moment to mourn*

I agree with you though Kaori! I would have DIED if they stopped scanlating at like ch 53 >.<
Kawaiikneko

Postby RoyalWing » Wed Apr 27, 2005 1:03 pm

[runs inside like crazy maniac waving arms]

DEATH NOTE CHAPTER 60 OUT!!

[runs out like crazy maniac waving arms]
RoyalWing

Postby Kawaiikneko » Wed Apr 27, 2005 5:36 pm

I KNOOOOOOOOWW!!!!! *O*// even though I got tired of waiting and read translations of both 60 and 61 >.> BUT! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! *squeals and runs around*
Kawaiikneko

Postby Kaori » Sat Apr 30, 2005 1:12 am

Well, this was quite a long chapter--and it seems that the manga will not be ending for quite some time yet.

On a purely emotive level: I dislike Mello, unsurprisingly. I don't particularly like or dislike Near; depending on how he acts in future chapters, I suppose I might warm to him.

The conflicting adgendas of Near and Mello will lead to some interesting situations, I'm sure, but complex situations and moral dilemmas make up most of the content of this manga, so that is nothing surprising.
Let others believe in the God who brings men to trial and judges them. I shall cling to the God who resurrects the dead.

MAL
Kaori

Postby Kawaiikneko » Sat Apr 30, 2005 6:25 am

Yeah I'm rooting for Light >.> not because I agree with him... just cause he's awesome. *hugs Light*

Near and Mello will certainly add something to the manga with their conflict... but I'm wondering how much they can measure up to the awesomeness of L *o*/
Kawaiikneko

Postby uc pseudonym » Sat Apr 30, 2005 4:15 pm

I will still await to see if an entirely new saga can be pulled off while keeping the material feeling fresh. We shall see.

On another subject, could someone PM me whatever link you are using to find the newer chapters?
uc pseudonym

Postby uc pseudonym » Wed May 04, 2005 6:40 am

Thank you to the many people who sent me a PM. I have only managed to utilize said resources now, but I do have some comments to make, having read the next chapter.

Oddly enough, my reactions to characters are the reverse of Kaori's: I don't have any particular feelings about Mello, but something about Near rubs me the wrong way. I was somewhat surprised that so much time was skipped, but I suppose that it allows for the plot to advance to a different point. Overall, I was encouraged: I believe the series may avoid redundancy.

An aside question: I must wonder if the other Reapers were ever interfere on a larger scale than one or two. The King of the Dead has been referenced several times, but he has never actually made an appearance.
uc pseudonym

Postby Kawaiikneko » Thu May 05, 2005 4:30 pm

I'm interested.... Reapers who give away a deathnote must have two (it says so at the beginning) sooo...

[spoiler="about my intrest"]When Rem died when writing L's and Watari's names down, she was using her own deathnote. So the one Light picked up was hers, meaning he now has 2 deathnotes and has possession of one (the one Rem dropped) while his father is "guarding" the other. Sorry if this is just meaningless banter you all know about... but there were a few times I was confused XD Had to let it all out. So now theres 3 deathnotes in the fray and a couple that has no reaper attached to them.... hmmm... I wonder how that will play out. >:D[/spoiler]

I'm wondering if any other reapers will show up too. Who knows, the new thing in the reaper world may be finding two notes so they can "accidentally" drop it and see what a human does with it. Beats throwing skulls around, that's for sure XD
Kawaiikneko

Postby Kawaiikneko » Tue May 10, 2005 3:07 pm

61... still not out... so slow x_x

I KNOW!! I shouldn't be complaining ToT At least the group is still doing it.
Kawaiikneko

Postby RoyalWing » Sat May 21, 2005 5:05 pm

Chapter 61 is now out. I'm very happy that they decided to keep on going for now~
RoyalWing

Postby Kaori » Mon May 23, 2005 3:08 pm

Chapter 62 has been out now for a few days as well, though not by the usual translators.

The mind games in the past few chapters have been just as complex and engaging as ever, but it occurs to me that with the current plotline, the actual investigation of Kira's identity is no longer the main focus.

I have to revise my opinion of Near and Mello a bit: at the moment, I find myself disliking both of them.

MAL
Kaori

Postby uc pseudonym » Tue May 24, 2005 12:30 pm

Kaori wrote:Chapter 62 has been out now for a few days as well, though not by the usual translators.

I have only read the 61st as of today, so it appears that I am somewhat behind. But regarding what I have read, I will state that I enjoyed learning a bit more about Mello and Near, and that it was interesting to find Light unsettled.

Kaori wrote:The mind games in the past few chapters have been just as complex and engaging as ever, but it occurs to me that with the current plotline, the actual investigation of Kira's identity is no longer the main focus.

This is a change I feel is quite necessary.

Kaori wrote:I have to revise my opinion of Near and Mello a bit: at the moment, I find myself disliking both of them.

That is also my general opinion. However, I currently dislike Light at about the same level, which means that in essence I dislike all the most important characters. The exception would be Roger (will he play a later and more critical role, I wonder?).
uc pseudonym

Postby Kawaiikneko » Tue May 24, 2005 1:04 pm

I actually like Light the best right now... >.> Which is weird. Maybe it's more of a curious interest in how he thinks so amazingly well.

[spoiler]It also has to do with the fact that L is no longer with us *cries*[/spoiler]
Kawaiikneko

Postby Lochaber Axe » Wed Jun 01, 2005 10:20 pm

I am quite behind the news... i have read Death Note to Chapter 61, but had no idea it was licensed.

About Near and Mello... I think their conflict has become the central focus now, and Light is only watching from the sidelines. At least until he starts hunting Mello down, however.

In my opinion, the author intends this manga to become Macbeth-esqe. The main character defeats all his enemies and gains the power he wanted, but an expected enemy comes and... you get the picture.

[SPOILER] Possibly his father? [/SPOILER]
Lochaber Axe

Postby uc pseudonym » Thu Jun 02, 2005 9:01 am

I have yet to read 62...

[spoiler]That may be possible. Personally, I would hope that another route is taken, because I feel that plotline has relatively little value, but it would be a better ending than many. I still feel that the moment we see that we realize who Light's father is was one of the best moments of the series.[/spoiler]
uc pseudonym

Postby Kawaiikneko » Sat Jun 04, 2005 9:00 am

I've read up to Ch 64 now (I was quite saddened by the weird translation on them though... do these people not know how to translated into proper English grammar?) [spoiler=click here"]So far, it seems the conflict is definitely still between Mello Near and Light... with a few twists. I don't like Near and Mello as much as L though. Chapter 64 DEFINITELY gives a twist... I wish the group that does better translations would step it up and catch up ;;__;; I don't want to keep reading these grammatical atrocities, but I need my deathnote...[/spoiler]
Kawaiikneko

Postby uc pseudonym » Sat Jun 04, 2005 9:32 am

I realize that I've asked this before, but I fear I must do so again. My translator (though they show signs of understanding basic English syntax) is still on chapter 61. Could you send me a PM, Kawaiikneko? [Not that you would ever do that normally.]
uc pseudonym

Postby RoyalWing » Tue Jun 07, 2005 1:12 pm

Is 'We, The Fans' still doing translation? I thought the last chapter they were posting was ch. 60, and then now their http address is down. There was this other website that offered ch. 62 but for good service you had to subsribe.

(= - =)
RoyalWing

Postby Kawaiikneko » Sat Jun 11, 2005 3:07 pm

[spoiler="click here"]OHHH a new shinigami~ how exciting ^^ I cant wait for Light to start manipulating him XD[/spoiler]
Kawaiikneko

Previous

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews