What are you reading?

A place to discuss your favorite authors and poets, Christian and secular

Postby Scribs » Wed May 04, 2005 6:25 pm

I am about to start alls quiet on the western front
"I concluded from the begining that this would be the end; and I am right, for it is not half over."
-Sir Boyle Roche
Scribs

Postby Hitokiri » Fri May 06, 2005 6:21 pm

I mix between Book of Lost Tales by J.R.R. Tolkein and Mary M. Shelly (correct?) "Frakenstien".
Hitokiri

Postby Whitephoenix » Sat May 07, 2005 11:54 am

"The Inheritance" By Louisa May Alcott and "Wuthering Heights" By Emily Bronte
Whitephoenix

Postby mitsuki lover » Sat May 07, 2005 12:44 pm

Bold Spirit:Helga Estby's Forgotten Walk by Linda Lawerence Hunt
About a tunr of the century Norwegian immigrant from eastern Washington who
walked from the Pacific Northwest to New York City with her eldest daugther in order to earn a $10,000 wager.She did to help to pay the mortgage on the family
farm.Very interesting.
mitsuki lover

Postby Kaori » Sat May 07, 2005 8:00 pm

The Book of Elves and Fairies and Antoine de Saint Exupery's The Little Prince. Light reading to celebrate the end of the school year.
Let others believe in the God who brings men to trial and judges them. I shall cling to the God who resurrects the dead.
-St. Nikolai Velimirovich

MAL
Kaori

Postby JediSonic » Sun May 08, 2005 12:57 pm

I'm reading Angels & Demons, the prequel to The Da Vinci Code which I've never read, for a book discussion group. It's well written fiction, but I'm appalled by its disrespect and/or outright lies about christianity and Catholocism in particular.
JediSonic

Postby Namelessknight » Mon May 09, 2005 7:07 pm

Am in the middle of the EarthSea trilogy by Le Guin. Going thru "The Tombs of Atuan" right now...
His Strength was as the Strength of Ten, for His Heart was Pure

My blog=[url=elfenknight.blogspot.com]Knightly Ruminations[/url]
Namelessknight

Postby ally-san » Wed May 11, 2005 5:40 pm

im also reading arthur millers death of a salesman
"The only consolation I find in your immediate presence is your ultimate absence."

"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Lord I give you my heart
I give you my soul
I live for you alone
Every breathe that I take
Every moment I'm awake
Lord have your way in me..
ally-san

Postby Technomancer » Fri May 13, 2005 5:23 am

"Dark Age Ahead" by Jane Jacobs. So far it has some interesting thoughts, but needs better focus.
The scientific method," Thomas Henry Huxley once wrote, "is nothing but the normal working of the human mind." That is to say, when the mind is working; that is to say further, when it is engaged in corrrecting its mistakes. Taking this point of view, we may conclude that science is not physics, biology, or chemistry—is not even a "subject"—but a moral imperative drawn from a larger narrative whose purpose is to give perspective, balance, and humility to learning.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby Hephzibah » Fri May 13, 2005 5:40 am

Thunder of Heaven by Ted Dekker... intruiging so far :grin: I think I'm up to the 2nd chapter
Hephzibah

Postby EvilSporkofDoom » Fri May 13, 2005 9:06 am

Candide by Voltaire
But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.
-Hebrews 11:6

EvilSporkofDoom

Postby Liger'smane » Sat May 14, 2005 12:15 pm

I'm just about to start, "The Renegades of Pern" by Anne McCaffery.
"Therefore, my dear friends, as you have always obeyed-not only in my presence, but now much more in my absence-continue to work out your salvation with fear and trembling, for it is God who works in you to will and to act according to his good purpose." Philippians 2:12-13 :angel: ;)

98% of the teenage population does or has tried smoking pot. If you're one of the 2% who hasn't, copy & paste this in your signature.
~~~
War determines not who is right, but who is left. :bang:

There is no such thing as good luck. There is only misfortune and its occasional absence.:evil:

Viking proverv:"Always remember to pillage BEFORE you burn." MUAHAHAHA!:evil:
Liger'smane

Location: Often, I occupy that vacant space in between my ears.

Postby Technomancer » Tue May 17, 2005 5:21 am

"Codex" by Lev Grossman

"Ethos of the Cosmos: The Genesis of Moral Imagination in the Bible" by William P. Brown

this work by William Brown investigates how the various pictures of creation found in Scripture helped shape the ancient faith community's moral character. Bridging the fields of biblical studies and ethics, this interdisciplinary work demonstrates how certain creation traditions of the Old and New Testaments were developed from the community's moral imagination for the purpose of forming and preserving both Israel's and the early church's identity in the world. Bringing to light insights largely overlooked by modern treatments of biblical ethics and creation, The Ethos of the Cosmos ends by recommending the formative power of creation for the contemporary church.
The scientific method," Thomas Henry Huxley once wrote, "is nothing but the normal working of the human mind." That is to say, when the mind is working; that is to say further, when it is engaged in corrrecting its mistakes. Taking this point of view, we may conclude that science is not physics, biology, or chemistry—is not even a "subject"—but a moral imperative drawn from a larger narrative whose purpose is to give perspective, balance, and humility to learning.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby Scribs » Tue May 17, 2005 6:16 pm

I just started on Cry the Beloved Country
"I concluded from the begining that this would be the end; and I am right, for it is not half over."
-Sir Boyle Roche
Scribs

Postby Kaori » Tue May 17, 2005 10:22 pm

The Sword and the Mind, translated by Hiroaki Sato. The book comprises some texts on the Shinkage school of swordsmanship, but they deal more with the philosophical ideas behind the school than with the actual techniques of swordsmanship.

A Concise History of Buddhism
, by Andrew Skilton. I am only partway through the book, and so far it has no egregious flaws. There is also, however, nothing that makes the book particularly good.

I also read through significant portions of Strunk and White's Elements of Style. It covers only a few basic rules of grammar, but it is concise, helpful, and often witty; I would recommend it to anyone who writes.
Let others believe in the God who brings men to trial and judges them. I shall cling to the God who resurrects the dead.

MAL
Kaori

Postby kirakira » Fri May 20, 2005 11:07 pm

'The Count of Monte Cristo' by Alexandre Dumas.
Love wins.
kirakira

Postby Ingemar » Sun May 22, 2005 4:10 pm

I am supposed to be reading Discipline and Punish by Michel Foucault, but I am currently fretting over an essay about Notes from Underground by Dostoevsky.

Also, I finished

The Trial--Franz Kafka
The Flies--Jean Paul Sartre
Job 7:16

I loathe my life; I would not live forever. Let me alone, for my days are but a breath.
Ingemar

Postby Hephzibah » Sun May 22, 2005 4:18 pm

kirakira wrote:'The Count of Monte Cristo' by Alexandre Dumas.

Ooo! is that any good? I've seen the movie (with Jim Caveziel [sp?]) and I really enjoyed it.

Anyway, I have finished Thunder of Heaven (by Ted Dekker), so now I dont really have much to read except for How to Draw Shoujo
Hephzibah

Postby Namelessknight » Sun May 22, 2005 6:33 pm

I loved CMC. But then, I really like Dumas's stuff.

Myself, I just finished up Tombs of Atuan by Le Guin and am in the middle of the 3rd book-The Farthest Shore.

Namelessknight

Postby Ssjjvash » Mon May 23, 2005 11:38 am

Now I'm reading Red by Ted Dekker. I finally got a hold of a copy!
And I'm also reading Joyce Meyer's Approval Addiction
If you can force your heart and nerve and sinew
To serve your turn long after they are gone
And so hold on when there is nothing left in you
Except the Will which says to them: 'Hold on!' ...you'll be a Man, my son!

Rudyard Kipling

Satan, bite the dust!Image

"You are not who your mistakes say you are; you are not the sum of your failures!"---Rev. Billy Miller

Proverbs 18:24
Ssjjvash

Postby Kaori » Mon May 23, 2005 2:36 pm

Dragon's Milk, by Susan Fletcher.

Notations: Quotations on Music
, ed. Sallye Leventhal, a book I felt obliged to read because my parents bought it for me.

The Road to Madness: Tales of H. P. Lovecraft

Various poems by T.S. Eliot from The Complete Poems and Plays, 1909-1950. Of the ones I have been reading, "Ash Wednesday" is by far my favorite; in my opinion, it is one of his better post-conversion works.

I have also read several American comics in the past week or so.

MAL
Kaori

Postby pyro_moogle » Thu May 26, 2005 6:56 pm

I am Reading Sahara by Clive Cussler.
[{ Waste of Paint }]
pyro_moogle

Postby Technomancer » Fri May 27, 2005 6:26 am

"Kafka on the Shore" by Haruki Murakami

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby Mithrandir » Fri May 27, 2005 8:42 am

I'm just starting "Motorola V220 - The Manual."

Seriously, this thing is bigger than some of the novels I've readd...
Mithrandir

Postby Namelessknight » Fri May 27, 2005 2:48 pm

yeah, scary isn't it?

I just finished up Tehanu, by Le Guin. Finishes up the story of Ged and Tennar, but very unsatisfactory. Uses way too much mumbo jumbo and contradictory statements covering as wisdom, bleh...

Namelessknight

Postby the_lizardqueen » Fri May 27, 2005 3:41 pm

I'm rereading Jane Eyre at the moment, it's one of my all times faves.

Yay for gothic settings and imperfect, funny looking people in love! :jump:
[color="lightgreen"]"There is an art, or rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."

-The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy[/color]
the_lizardqueen

Postby Mithrandir » Fri May 27, 2005 7:05 pm

Hacknotes - Network Security
Mithrandir

Postby mitsuki lover » Sat May 28, 2005 12:46 pm

Nothing right at the moment.I'm taking a break really.Still pondering what to read next.I might read WYATT EARP except:1)the print seems a bit small and
2)my relatives back in Colonial Virginia were neighbors and friends of the Clantons.
mitsuki lover

Postby Kaori » Sat May 28, 2005 6:42 pm

Namelessknight wrote:I just finished up Tehanu, by Le Guin. Finishes up the story of Ged and Tennar, but very unsatisfactory. Uses way too much mumbo jumbo and contradictory statements covering as wisdom, bleh...

It is good to see that I am not the only one who feels this way]Tehanu.[/I]

I just read through Devoutly I Adore Thee, a collection of prayers and hymns by Thomas Aquinas. It is a quick read, but there are some truly lovely prayers in it. Also, the edition I read has the Latin and the English translation printed side-by-side, which would have been interesting if I actually knew any Latin.

MAL
Kaori

Postby uc pseudonym » Sun May 29, 2005 11:40 pm

Was the last title of the Earthsea series Tehanu? I thought I had read all of it, but I do not believe I read any book with that name.
uc pseudonym

Previous Next

Return to Book Corner