language tutorial manga?

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

language tutorial manga?

Postby Htom Sirveaux » Fri Mar 12, 2004 9:45 pm

I think I heard something earlier about a manga type thing designed to help people learn the Japanese language. Where might I find this?
If this post seems too utterly absurd or ridiculous to be taken seriously, don't. :)
Htom Sirveaux

Postby andyroo » Fri Mar 12, 2004 11:20 pm

Maybe doing a search for mangajin would help. Since it is a magazine teaching Japanese language through manga. Sorry, don't have anything else but that-- hope it helps anyway.
"As vinegar to the teeth and smoke to the eyes, so is a sluggard to those who send him." ~Proverbs 10:26
†
The Ideas Behind Anime |

The difference between intelligence and stupidity is that intelligence has its limits.
A proud member of P.I.E. -- Pictures of Inkhana for Everyone! Join the fight!
andyroo

Postby Hoshika » Sat May 21, 2005 10:25 pm

...Some places sell bilingual manga. The bubbles are in English with the Japanese text in the margins. They were made for helping Japanese kids learn English but perhaps they can be used the other way as well. I know animenation.com has few.
Hoshika

Postby Bobtheduck » Sun May 22, 2005 12:21 am

Hmm... I haven't seen those, but I was plannign on doing something similar, only the other way around and with a video game... A video game that was challenging whether you knew the language or not, and a story that meant something other than just a device to teach you the language.

I think that limiting yourself to one medium, whether it be reading or writing or listenign, is setting yourself up for failure... To learn a language, you need to engage all seven learning structures... Read, Write, Listen to the spoken word, listen to songs, Say, Do, and... I forget what the other one is... Oh, yeah, pictures... Look at pictures to associate with what you're learning... There is no single program that can really do all of that except an immersive program that requires you to go to that country...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Legend of Crying Bronies: Twilight's a Princess
Bobtheduck

Postby ShiroiHikari » Sun May 22, 2005 1:07 pm

Actually, there are manga-like tutorial books now. I have a couple of them. One of them is Kanji de Manga, which teaches kanji through little manga panels, but you need to know kana before you get it. So get Kana de Manga first, which teaches kana :3 They're only about ten dollars a piece.

Another one is Japanese the Manga Way. This book is working for me (when I read it...) so I'd recommend it as well.
ShiroiHikari

Postby Arnobius » Sun May 22, 2005 1:33 pm

There are some Japanese bilingual manga that have english translations for people who want to learn

FWIW, here's a link: http://www.animecastle.com/catalog/books/cat_bilingual-manga.html
Arnobius

Postby Hoshika » Mon May 23, 2005 2:03 am

Bobtheduck wrote:Hmm... I haven't seen those, but I was plannign on doing something similar, only the other way around and with a video game... A video game that was challenging whether you knew the language or not, and a story that meant something other than just a device to teach you the language.

I think that limiting yourself to one medium, whether it be reading or writing or listenign, is setting yourself up for failure... To learn a language, you need to engage all seven learning structures... Read, Write, Listen to the spoken word, listen to songs, Say, Do, and... I forget what the other one is... Oh, yeah, pictures... Look at pictures to associate with what you're learning... There is no single program that can really do all of that except an immersive program that requires you to go to that country...

Oh, yes! Going to a country where the language you wish to learn is mostly spoken is the best way to learn! It may be the hard knocks way as well but you will learn a lot more faster than by reading and sticking post-it notes on everything in your house or office. :p

Too scary of an idea for me though (Hoshika's fear of being stranded rears its ugly head :shake: ) and too exspensive.
Hoshika

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews