What are you reading?

A place to discuss your favorite authors and poets, Christian and secular

Postby Kaori » Sat Apr 23, 2005 1:45 am

Beliefs: Mennonite Faith and Practice, by John Roth.
Let others believe in the God who brings men to trial and judges them. I shall cling to the God who resurrects the dead.
-St. Nikolai Velimirovich

MAL
Kaori

Postby dragonshimmer » Sat Apr 23, 2005 6:58 am

I Kissed Dating Goodbye
-Josh Harris
dragonshimmer

Postby Technomancer » Sat Apr 23, 2005 10:56 am

"Spikes: Exploring the Neural Code" by Fred Rieke et al.

I'm also most of the way through David Weber's "March to Sea"
The scientific method," Thomas Henry Huxley once wrote, "is nothing but the normal working of the human mind." That is to say, when the mind is working; that is to say further, when it is engaged in corrrecting its mistakes. Taking this point of view, we may conclude that science is not physics, biology, or chemistry—is not even a "subject"—but a moral imperative drawn from a larger narrative whose purpose is to give perspective, balance, and humility to learning.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby mitsuki lover » Sat Apr 23, 2005 12:59 pm

Right now I'm in one of my moods where I don't want to read anything too
serious.So I'm going through and rereading my copy of the Qoutable
Star Trek.
Favorites:"I never met a chocolate I didn't like." and
"Chocolate is a serious thing."both Troi to Riker in STNG ep. The Game.
Later on next week I plan on checking out another one of Jack McKinney's
Robotech novels.
Need to see the series one of these days as I rather enjoy the novels.
Minmei and Dana are my two favorite characters from reading the novels. :thumb:
mitsuki lover

Postby Emanku » Sat Apr 23, 2005 8:07 pm

I just read "The Oath" by Frank Peretti.

It was so good!! I couldn't put it down and finished the thing in less than 24 hours. I like it even more than "This Present Darkness" or "Piercing the Darkness", both of which I own and have read three times. Peretti is by far my favorite author.

However, my parents can't read his stuff. Not enough time and they just can't keep up with his writing style. That's why I'm writing a summary of it for them. That way we can discuss it as a family. My mom has this intense loathing of basically anything referred to as a 'dragon' which can be a bit annoying. Take a look at my avatar and I think you'll understand.

I also recently read "Circle of Honor", book one of the Scottish Crown series by Carol Umberger.

I've never liked any romance novel before. I've tried to read two and both had me boder/disgusted by the end of the first chapter. With this book though, when I found it at a Christian book sale for $7, God blinded my eyes to it being a romance novel. Scotland=Good Medieval=Good Christian=Good So I bought it and read it. It was awesome! It was both realistic and tactful, while subtley honoring God throughout the whole thing.
This one only took me about 10 hours to finish.

These two books are the first novels I've read in a while. I'd almost forgotten how much I love to read!
God is so good, don't you think?
I will not waver, doubt or falter for all truth in this world has been written into the book here at my side.
Emanku

Postby Ssjjvash » Sat Apr 23, 2005 8:13 pm

Black--by Ted Dekker. this'll be the second time around.
Monster--F. Peretti
some comics about Wolverine
If you can force your heart and nerve and sinew
To serve your turn long after they are gone
And so hold on when there is nothing left in you
Except the Will which says to them: 'Hold on!' ...you'll be a Man, my son!

Rudyard Kipling

Satan, bite the dust!Image

"You are not who your mistakes say you are; you are not the sum of your failures!"---Rev. Billy Miller

Proverbs 18:24
Ssjjvash

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Sat Apr 23, 2005 8:45 pm

Reading: The Otherland Series Book 4: Sea of Silver Light

Up next: "Monster" by Frank Peretti
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby Kaori » Sun Apr 24, 2005 10:22 pm

Virginia Woolf, A Room of One's Own.
Let others believe in the God who brings men to trial and judges them. I shall cling to the God who resurrects the dead.

MAL
Kaori

Postby uc pseudonym » Mon Apr 25, 2005 5:35 am

Warrior 4 Jesus wrote:Up next: "Monster" by Frank Peretti

Please tell me if this is any good]Macbeth, Death of a Salesman, 1984, Great Expectations[/i] and One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest.
uc pseudonym

Postby Hitokiri » Mon Apr 25, 2005 6:24 am

"The Book of Lost Tales" by Christoper Tolkein
Hitokiri

Postby The Last Bard » Mon Apr 25, 2005 6:42 pm

Atlantis Found-Clive Cussler
The Last Bard

Postby Jasdero » Mon Apr 25, 2005 8:05 pm

The Darkangel Trilogy: Volumes I-III by Meredith Ann Pierce
× s h i n i e s , y e s ? ×

does it not burn... LIKE THE SUN?!
Jasdero

Postby Kaori » Tue Apr 26, 2005 10:55 am

uc pseudonym wrote:Meanwhile, I am rereading significant portions of the following books as part of preparation for the AP Exam: Macbeth, Death of a Salesman, 1984, Great Expectations and One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest.

Ah, AP tests. Good times. The only one of those books I have not read, incidentally, is Death of a Salesman.

Sunako wrote:The Darkangel Trilogy: Volumes I-III by Meredith Ann Pierce

As far as children's books go, those are fairly good]Murder in the Cathedral[/I]. My appreciation for the play is greater this time than the first time I read it, although I still would not consider it my favorite of Eliot's works.

MAL
Kaori

Postby Technomancer » Tue Apr 26, 2005 12:54 pm

'Climate of Fear: The Quest for Dignity in a Dehumanized World' by Wole Soyinka

'In this new book developed from the prestigious Reith Lectures at Oxford, Nobel laureate Wole Soyinka, a courageous advocate for human rights around the world, considers fear as a dominant theme in world politics'
The scientific method," Thomas Henry Huxley once wrote, "is nothing but the normal working of the human mind." That is to say, when the mind is working; that is to say further, when it is engaged in corrrecting its mistakes. Taking this point of view, we may conclude that science is not physics, biology, or chemistry—is not even a "subject"—but a moral imperative drawn from a larger narrative whose purpose is to give perspective, balance, and humility to learning.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby uc pseudonym » Tue Apr 26, 2005 1:23 pm

Kaori wrote:Ah, AP tests. Good times.

In the spirit of the famous opening of Dickens's A Tale of Two Cities, except just the last part.

You may be interested in this off hand: I took a practice AP English examination today, and the third essay question took me off guard (fortunately, I had over an hour remaining to think about it). Despite the fact that I hadn't studied Heart of Darkness for the exam, I used it as my focus, and I think the essay turned out well.

Kaori wrote:The only one of those books I have not read, incidentally, is Death of a Salesman.

I would recommend it, actually, though it would probably be easier to see it on stage. It is very surreal (not difficult to keep up with, but the effect is designed for theater) and I enjoyed several scenes significantly. However, I'll note it's not very uplifting.
uc pseudonym

Postby Kaori » Tue Apr 26, 2005 10:23 pm

uc pseudonym wrote:Despite the fact that I hadn't studied Heart of Darkness for the exam, I used it as my focus, and I think the essay turned out well.

Well, I suppose it is good to be able to do well even when writing about a work that you do not particularly enjoy.

uc pseudonym wrote:However, I'll note it's not very uplifting.

Most modern literature is not.

MAL
Kaori

Postby Ingemar » Wed Apr 27, 2005 5:33 pm

Technomancer wrote:considers fear as a dominant theme in world politics'

File under "Cyanide is bad for you."

Notes From Underground by Fyodor Dostoevsky.
Job 7:16

I loathe my life; I would not live forever. Let me alone, for my days are but a breath.
Ingemar

Postby Kokhiri Sojourn » Thu Apr 28, 2005 9:09 am

Dracula by Bram Stoker
The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde
The Importance of Being Earnest by Oscar Wilde
Jude the Obscure by Thomas Hardy

Ah yes, the Victorian British Literature final is right around the corner...
Kokhiri Sojourn

Postby Jasdero » Thu Apr 28, 2005 1:07 pm

The Age of Innocence by Edith Wharton
Kaori wrote:
Sunako wrote:The Darkangel Trilogy: Volumes I-III by Meredith Ann Pierce
As far as children's books go, those are fairly good]
^^ Yeah, they are. I read them years ago, and was just cleaning out my library and re-discovered it. ^O^/ I couldn't help but read it again. XD;;; Ah, yes, you're actually the only other person I know of who's heard of them.

Jasdero

Postby livewire » Thu Apr 28, 2005 4:50 pm

mostly my classes' required reading....
but, for myself I've been re-reading all the Harry Potter books in anticipation of the 6th book's release on July 16th.
Also:

finding the will of God in a Crazy Mixed Up World by Tim LaHaye
the cage by Ruth Minsky Sender (It's a Holocaust survivor's memoir)
...and anything on Apologetics that I have been able to find....

....There is this book called Rome Sweet Home that my sponsor recommended that I read that I am going to try and get hold of once I can afford it....I special ordered in at the bookstore, but it costs too much money.....
livewire

Postby Jasdero » Thu Apr 28, 2005 5:04 pm

livewire wrote:....There is this book called Rome Sweet Home that my sponsor recommended that I read that I am going to try and get hold of once I can afford it....I special ordered in at the bookstore, but it costs too much money.....

o.o Hmm. have you tried BarnesandNoble.com?
http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?userid=u56u14NBx2&isbn=0898704782&itm=2

Jasdero

Postby AngelSakura » Thu Apr 28, 2005 5:12 pm

"The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring" by JRR Tolkien, for about the fifty gazillionth time. I mean, seriously, I first read it in second grade. ^^
Also, "The Call of the Wild" by Jack London for school. I have vague memories of "White Fang" from my read-anything-within-reach stage. I really like this one. Some of the people in my class seem to be having trouble with the violence, though. Personally, "Stray" refuses to leave my head while I'm reading it. ^^;;
Think happy thoughts.
AngelSakura

Postby ally-san » Thu Apr 28, 2005 11:15 pm

oscar wildes fairy tales, various poems for studying purposes, and girl with the pearl earring
ally-san

Postby Technomancer » Fri Apr 29, 2005 2:11 pm

"Other Origins: The Search for the Giant Ape in Human Prehistory" by Russell Ciochon et al. Basically it concerns a series of paleoanthropology expeditions into Indochina that were focused on finding the largest of the great apes: the long extinct Gigantopithecus.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby Jasdero » Fri Apr 29, 2005 2:38 pm

Eh, I stopped reading the Age of Innocence. I'll pick it up again later. >.o I got about 1/4 of the way through it last night and I just got bored. XD; I'm reading Uncle Tom's Cabin by Harriet Beecher Stowe again.
Technomancer wrote:"Other Origins: The Search for the Giant Ape in Human Prehistory" by Russell Ciochon et al. Basically it concerns a series of paleoanthropology expeditions into Indochina that were focused on finding the largest of the great apes: the long extinct Gigantopithecus.

Oh wow. That sounds quite interesting. >.>; And yet, I despise monkeys.. all monkets/apes/chimps/etc.

Jasdero

Postby Kaori » Sat Apr 30, 2005 12:57 am

Things Fall Apart, by Chinua Achebe. As an aside, Things Fall Apart and No Longer at Ease both have epigraphs taken from poems I have read for class this semester.

MAL
Kaori

Postby Hephzibah » Sat Apr 30, 2005 2:06 am

I just finished reading 'How Sweet the Sound' by Meredith Resce, and am almost finished Beyond the Veil by Alice Smith
Hephzibah

Postby Scribs » Sat Apr 30, 2005 7:09 am

Ever since I got back from Nicaragua, I have reading a book about it. It is more of a travel book thatna any thing else but it is rather interesting.
"I concluded from the begining that this would be the end; and I am right, for it is not half over."
-Sir Boyle Roche
Scribs

Postby mitsuki lover » Sat Apr 30, 2005 1:32 pm

Sailor Mercury now taking over from Sasami so she can now get some
food:
Note here states that ML is currently reading Creed or Chaos? by
Dorothy L. Sayers. :thumb:
mitsuki lover

Postby Indigo_Eyes » Wed May 04, 2005 1:11 pm

I just finished Monday's Child by Linda Chaikin; I really liked it and was a bit surprised that it was so good. It kind of reminded me of the Zion Covenant and Zion Chronicles series.
Indigo_Eyes

Previous Next

Return to Book Corner