American Manga (with a twist.)

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

American Manga (with a twist.)

Postby That Dude » Fri Apr 22, 2005 4:18 pm

Hey I was just wondering what you all think of Japanese artists doing American comics? IE "Batman, Child Of Dreams" by Kei Asiyama and "Wolverine, Snikt!" by ?? Does anybody know of any other American comics drawn by Japanese people? If so what are they and what do you think of them?
I am convinced that many men who preach the gospel and love the Lord are really misunderstood. People make a “profession,â€
That Dude

Postby Kaori » Sat Apr 23, 2005 1:17 am

The closest thing that I can think of is "The Dream Hunters" from the Sandman series by Neil Gaiman. The artwork for this particular work is by Yoshitaka Amano (the artist who created much of the concept art for the Final Fantasy series), but I'm not sure it could truly be considered a comic. It is sold in the comic section of bookstores, but the format is more like a children's book than anything--prose text accompanied by illustrations.

As for my opinions of this type of collaboration, I have no strong opinions. I do not object to it (I own and enjoy "The Dream Hunters"); the idea is fairly interesting, I suppose.
Let others believe in the God who brings men to trial and judges them. I shall cling to the God who resurrects the dead.
-St. Nikolai Velimirovich

MAL
Kaori

Postby Psycho Ann » Sat Apr 23, 2005 3:43 am

'Snikt!' is by Tsutomu Nihei btw ^^ As for American comics done by mangaka, I actually prefer it than manga done by American comic artists. I don't know why, it's just the matter that comics drawn by mangaka the storytelling becomes American but the art stays genuine. While the other way around American comic artists try too hard to emulate the manga style and ends up mostly ruining it.

It's interesting this is brought up, since I personally am planning (for WAY in the future) to see if manga storytelling/pacing/angles/paneling/effects can work well with a wholly western art style. It works in my head, but can't tell for sure XD
-Psalm 27:1-
The Project - Online Christian manga, rambling FAQs, and Truly Random Scripture.
Cognatio- Online Christian Manga Exchange

"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
Psycho Ann

Postby That Dude » Sat Apr 23, 2005 11:13 am

Oh...Thanks for telling me who did Snikt! Yeah I prefer Japanese doing american comics also...But I like drawing manga style because it has a lot more contrast and "feeling" behind the pictures...I think that some Americans do some good "mangas" but for the most part I like Japanese manga a lot better...Yeah I'll probably have to check out the Sandman, Amono thing....
I am convinced that many men who preach the gospel and love the Lord are really misunderstood. People make a “profession,â€
That Dude

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews