Manhwa Disscusion Thread

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

Manhwa Disscusion Thread

Postby emersongreen » Tue Apr 19, 2005 8:54 am

this is the manwha club.....personally, i like manwha better than manga in many respects.....also if you have never heard of manwha, then go do some reaserch and then post here about how you liked it........
1. manwah is more detailed in it's art style
2. manwha is more realistic
3. manwha is often more original in it's storylines because manwha has a MUCH smaller market

SO GIVE MANWHA A LOOK!!!!
:poke: :bang:
98% of the teenage population does or has tried smoking pot. If you're one of the 2% who hasn't, copy & paste this in your signature.
emersongreen

Postby Steeltemplar » Tue Apr 19, 2005 9:09 am

I read Priest, but that's about it at the moment. Know any other good ones?
Headbangers United

"There is no surer sign of decay in a country than to see the rites of religion held in contempt." - Niccolo Machiavelli

"But even as Josue and Caleb declared that the Land of Promise was good and fair, and that the possession of it would be easy and pleasant; so the Holy Spirit, speaking by all the Saints, and our Blessed Lord Himself assure us that a devout life is a lovely, a pleasant, and a happy life." - from An Introduction to the Devout Life, by St. Francis de Sales

Loyal subject of Sakura-hime, the RP Princess.
CR-chan's faithful PNC.
FF-chan's NiichanB.
Steeltemplar

Postby Mr. Rogers » Tue Apr 19, 2005 9:20 am

i was wondering what the heck manwha was. now i now, w0ot
Mr. Rogers

Postby Mangafanatic » Tue Apr 19, 2005 9:36 am

emersongreen wrote:this is the CAA manwha club.....personally, i like manwha better than manga in many respects.....also if you have never heard of manwha, then go do some reaserch and then post here about how you liked it........
1. manwah is more detailed in it's art style
2. manwha is more realistic
3. manwha is often more original in it's storylines because manwha has a MUCH smaller market

SO GIVE MANWHA A LOOK!!!!

I disagree with 1, 2, and 3, but it's really all just matter of opinion in the end, I suppose.

Have fun with your club.
Every year in Uganda, innumerable children simply. . . disappear. These children all stolen under the cover of darkness from their homes and impressed into the guerilla armies of the LRA [Lord's Resistance Army]. In the deserts of Uganda, they are forced to witness the mindless slaughter of other children until they themselves can do nothing but kill. Kill. These children, generally ranging from ages 5-12, are brainwashed into murdering in the name of the resistance and into stealing other children from their beds to suffer the same fate.

Because of this genocide of innocence, hundred and hundreds of children live every night sleeping in public places miles from their homes, because they know that if the do not-- they will disappear. They will become just another number in this genocide to which the international community has chosen to turn a blind eye. They will become, in affect, invisible-- Invisible Children.

But there are those who are trying to fight against this slaughter of Uganda's children. They fight to protect these "invisible children." Please, help them help a country full of children who know nothing by fear. Help save the innocence. For more information concerning how you can help and how you can get an incredible video about this horrific reality, visit the Invisible Children home page.
Mangafanatic

Postby Ingemar » Tue Apr 19, 2005 10:10 am

Korean reads from left to right, so you don't have the problem of--

1. Mirroring the translation, and enraging all the elitists
2. Keeping the original orientation, and confusing the newbs.
Job 7:16

I loathe my life; I would not live forever. Let me alone, for my days are but a breath.
Ingemar

Postby Maledicte » Tue Apr 19, 2005 1:13 pm

manwha more realistic? in Ragnarok all the characters both male and female have absurdly tiny waists.
Maledicte

Postby uc pseudonym » Tue Apr 19, 2005 1:29 pm

Mangafanatic wrote:I disagree with 1, 2, and 3, but it's really all just matter of opinion in the end, I suppose.

I agree with the last statement: excepting the last part of the third statement, all of them are almost entirely subjective. Personally, I don't feel there are any significant differences (there are some stylistic differences, but frankly they don't make the slightest difference to me).

Now, on an administrative note: what do you intend the point of this club to be? If you mean you'll have a thread and talk about a common interest, more power to you. But in terms of actual CAA endorsement, we have enough clubs as it is.
uc pseudonym

Postby indyrocker » Tue Apr 19, 2005 1:38 pm

SirThinks2Much wrote:manwha more realistic? in Ragnarok all the characters both male and female have absurdly tiny waists.
Ragnarok was manwha? I did not know that. I still prefer manga but it is still good.
Indyrocker aka the user fomaly known as Agentsmith700

my remixes --> http://www.purevolume.com/irishangel
my Xanga--> http://www.xanga.com/indyrocker
A member of the Society of Hatted Members

adopted by Rachel
Adopted Banana-chan, heero yuy 95

There are no more heroes any more they all died in the night that the world fell into darknes; and good men are trampled down into the dirt never to be seen again. This is the story of this world of ours the story of the corupt and those that would try to save it from them but become corupt themselfs from their own selfish greed and want for what they do not have.
indyrocker

Postby Hitokiri » Tue Apr 19, 2005 2:28 pm

I sitll don't know what manwha is -_-;;;
Hitokiri

Postby Maledicte » Tue Apr 19, 2005 2:54 pm

[quote="Hitokiri"]I sitll don't know what manwha is -_-]

Manwha--Korean comics, in a style similar to Japanese manga.
Maledicte

Postby Debitt » Tue Apr 19, 2005 3:03 pm

^_^; I don't really see much of a difference between manwha and manga, though I admit I happen to read my fair share of manwha (Diary of a Demon King being my favorite...). I don't think it's fair to generalize about either manwha or manga, though, because they're like regular books. >_> They're all different no matter what country they come from

[SIZE="5"](*゚∀゚)アハア八アッ八ッノヽ~☆[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]DEBS: Fan of that manga where the kid's head is on fire.[/SIZE]
Debitt

Postby Arnobius » Tue Apr 19, 2005 4:14 pm

Actually most manhwa I saw had worse art than manga. What I did notice with manhwa is that it tends to be cleaner than comparable manga-- less fanservice etc (I believe South Korea has stricter rules on what is allowed). I enjoyed "50 Rules for Teens" and "Love or Money" and wish they would put out more volumes.

One thing that drives me nuts about manhwa is since I can't read Korean, I can't make out the sfx. With JP, it's easy.
Arnobius

Postby Puguni » Tue Apr 19, 2005 4:41 pm

AnimeHeretic wrote:Actually most manhwa I saw had worse art than manga. What I did notice with manhwa is that it tends to be cleaner than comparable manga-- less fanservice etc (I believe South Korea has stricter rules on what is allowed). I enjoyed "50 Rules for Teens" and "Love or Money" and wish they would put out more volumes.

One thing that drives me nuts about manhwa is since I can't read Korean, I can't make out the sfx. With JP, it's easy.

:P It's easy because you know how to read it. Unlike me, who knows the korean, but not the jap. :X

I like Unplugged Boy; I've never seen such original humor.
Puguni

Location: In a place where I can wonder why good grammar doesn't apply on the internet.

Postby Arnobius » Tue Apr 19, 2005 5:09 pm

[quote="Puguni"]:P It's easy because you know how to read it. Unlike me, who knows the korean, but not the jap. :X

I like Unplugged Boy]
Haven't heard of it, but I'll keep my eye out (I presume it;s translated?)
Arnobius

Postby LightUpTheDark » Tue Apr 19, 2005 5:15 pm

Uh, yeah. I may get raked over hot coals for this, but I would think that this thread should be in the manga forum. It is actually Manga's cousin, seeing as how the first manwha was influenced by the small import of comics S. Korea was at that time receiving from Japan. It has it's differences, but I'm actually more of the opinion that the 2 aren't that far apart in relation. Also, most manwha tends to be more realistic, because the Korean people as a whole are more interested in realistic comics. One of the most popular genra's in Korea are Japanese sports manga. At least, that's what I read in Newtype USA.

On a personal note, I like Kill Me, Kiss Me, President Dad, and Neck and Neck. I think those artists draw fairly well, but I've also seen my share of poorly drawn Manwha. So I tend to be of the opinion that manga is for the most part better drawn. Then again, manga has evolved over the years, being a much older/larger form of entertainment. I see it's Korean cousin constantly improving as it continues to build momentum. In my personal opinion, that is.

"Saotome, I will never forgive you! You stole my bread! You lousy theif!"-Ryoga, Ranma 1/2

Preach the Gospel at all time. If necessary, use words.

Me blog...
LightUpTheDark

Postby Puguni » Tue Apr 19, 2005 5:15 pm

[quote="AnimeHeretic"]Haven't heard of it, but I'll keep my eye out (I presume it]

I was just googling around for it, but I can't find the scanlators who translated it. XP But, no, I don't think it's commercially available though. Too bad, I thought it was really funny and nice. ^^
Puguni

Location: In a place where I can wonder why good grammar doesn't apply on the internet.

Postby HwaRang777 » Tue Apr 19, 2005 6:12 pm

I just have to say this but: manga and manwha (correctly spelled manhwa) are more or less the same, the only difference is the language and national origin, as well as there is no more difference from one another than from one artist to the next. While I do prefer reading korean manhwas/mangas I still like to read a couple japanese ones like Getbackers or AI Love you
Arise now, arise, Riders of Théoden!
Dire deeds awake, dark is it eastward.
Let horse be bridled, horn be sounded
forth Eorlingas!
-from LotR

KIMCHI POWERS UNITE!
HwaRang777

Postby Jasdero » Tue Apr 19, 2005 6:34 pm

Demon Diary is another manhwa series.

Personally, I prefer to not make any distinction between manga and manwha. I read based on whether I like the series, since both manga and manwha have their share of series' that don't come as favorable to me. ^^ Both of them, besides having different origins, are the same to me.
× s h i n i e s , y e s ? ×

does it not burn... LIKE THE SUN?!
Jasdero

Postby emersongreen » Tue Apr 19, 2005 7:08 pm

ppl....ok.... IF YOU DON'T THINK THAT MANWHA IS THE COOLEST THING ON EARTH AFTER YOU READ THIS POST THEN SOMTHING MUST BE WRONG

http://img259.echo.cx/my.php?image=asellasdiel7qy.jpg
http://img259.echo.cx/my.php?image=beramode9uu.jpg
http://img259.echo.cx/my.php?image=carlos8wd.jpg
http://img259.echo.cx/my.php?image=christian21oq.jpg
http://img259.echo.cx/my.php?image=dieneramiel6jy.jpg
http://img259.echo.cx/my.php?image=embla9dc.jpg
http://img259.echo.cx/my.php?image=mariaesslin9uw.jpg
http://img259.echo.cx/my.php?image=oxide0012mu.jpg
http://img259.echo.cx/my.php?image=saladin7e02et.jpg
http://img259.echo.cx/my.php?image=mycurrentdesktopbymichelle840k.jpg
http://img259.echo.cx/my.php?image=agreian1tf.jpg
http://img259.echo.cx/my.php?image=azel9hf.jpg
http://img259.echo.cx/my.php?image=calintz3tt.jpg
http://img259.echo.cx/my.php?image=calintzj4xs.jpg
http://img259.echo.cx/my.php?image=mccomm16vg.jpg
http://img259.echo.cx/my.php?image=ruchielu0uj.jpg

lets not come to conclusions too quickly eh????!!!!!
what manga can even compete with this type of realism!!!!!!!!!
btw, if you PM me i can send you another 100 links with as much detail and coolness as these

so lets not come to conclutions about detail eh?
:rock:

also UC, i intend this to be a manhwa discussion thread mainly, and to clear up the fog that hazes manga and manhwa

WOW beautiful avatar sunako!!!!!!!!!!!!!
that looks soo cool....where did you get/find it?????
98% of the teenage population does or has tried smoking pot. If you're one of the 2% who hasn't, copy & paste this in your signature.
emersongreen

Postby Mave » Tue Apr 19, 2005 7:24 pm

There are only two differences I've seen so far:

1) Like AnimeHeretic said, I have yet to see those type of eh...perversions in manwha. However, I've seen some homosexuality around.

2) The male characters tend to be too pretty for me to bear <-- Note: this is from a bishie fangirl

But I'm pretty sure I could be wrong on both accounts. After all, I've only read a handful of manwha.

Can everyone list the manwha they've read?

Manwha I've read: (or at least I -think- they're manwha)
Red Lion
Gung
The Way This Boy Lives
WA
Kimi Kara wa Resume (?? But the title is Japanese)
They, too love
Shin Angyo Onshi (My fav. 'shonen' manwha so far)

This list consists of scanlations though so.....I don't expect everyone to recognize them. <.< >.>;;;
Mave

Postby Mr_Anderson » Tue Apr 19, 2005 7:26 pm

i never heard of this manwha, maybe thats why i seriously thought the title was supposed to be

"the first CAA mwahaha club"
Shatterheart wrote:Sarcasm is like a butt...everyone has some...and some need to be kicked.
Mr_Anderson

Postby That Dude » Tue Apr 19, 2005 7:28 pm

I have seen manga that are just as realistic. But I don't want to cause any trouble so yeah. I love those pics though. All in all manga and manhwa are very close and as with all comics the quality of story and art varies with the creater. I've seen some fantastic art in manhwas as well as not so good. Same with mangas...So yeah thats cool that you like it so much but for peace's sake please try and keep from bashing manga ok?
I am convinced that many men who preach the gospel and love the Lord are really misunderstood. People make a “profession,â€
That Dude

Postby emersongreen » Tue Apr 19, 2005 7:38 pm

no fear of that Mr. That Dude

i LUV my manga, so i don't often go and bash it, i just wanted to prove my point about originality, and stuff (btw That dude, send me the links to this detailed manga) i would like to find out more about it)

anyway, that is just from one particular artist that tends to blow my artistic socks off with his beautiful style....if you want me to post more manwha style art, maybe i will post some more later, but chew on those juicy morsels for now.....

also for those who posted about ragnarok..... i don't really like the art in ragnarok, but the story was ok ( i guess ).....
emersongreen

Postby Debitt » Tue Apr 19, 2005 7:40 pm

=O I thought Magna Carta was a game...

Don't get me wrong, it's not that I don't appreciate the art in manwha...but they're not Sakura Kinoshita. :lol: And I agree, I don't think the art in the Ragnarok manwha was that stellar. ^^;

[SIZE="5"](*゚∀゚)アハア八アッ八ッノヽ~☆[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]DEBS: Fan of that manga where the kid's head is on fire.[/SIZE]
Debitt

Postby Ashley » Tue Apr 19, 2005 7:49 pm

I wish you guys would learn that if you want to start a new club, you need to PM a staffer and ask permission to do so first. I didn't think I'd have to write it into the FAQs because I thought that was pretty commonknowledge, but I guess I have to now.

Anyway, my point is PLEASE PM a staffer and ask permission before doing stuff like this.
Ashley

Postby emersongreen » Tue Apr 19, 2005 7:51 pm

magna carta is a game....but i am lucky enough to know of some websites that contain the original magna carta ( all the art is manhwa let me add ) concept art, and i am a HUGE fan of some particularly good artists who together acctually drew all the pictures that i posted!!!!!!! ^_^

btw....all the magna carta characters started out as manhwa characters before they made the game!!!!

interesting how you learn stuff eh?

another pic by the same artist (this one isn't magna carta related though)
http://img244.echo.cx/my.php?image=htk212804mm.jpg
emersongreen

Postby emersongreen » Tue Apr 19, 2005 8:09 pm

well....i have to ask all you nice folks to plz stop posting on this thread until further notice....i am currently on hiatus until the staff aproves the club because i didn't follow proper procedure, because i started this cub without asking the staff......so until further notice, lets try to hold of posting until this club is approved...

OK?

btw, to everyone who posted, it's my fault that this thread has to be posponed because i didn't follow precedure :red: SRY ALL!!!!!
emersongreen

Postby That Dude » Tue Apr 19, 2005 8:10 pm

That's cool Emerson. Yeah I just said that because I know some people might've taken what you were saying the wrong way so...But yeah I love that guy who did the Magna Carta's artwork. One of the manga's that I was reffering to about having great art is the one called "Vagabond." It has a very realistic style. Also another one that I've glanced at the had some great art was one called "Deux Vitale." I wouldn't recommend either because they get pretty dirty (from what I've glanced through.)
I am convinced that many men who preach the gospel and love the Lord are really misunderstood. People make a “profession,â€
That Dude

Postby Solid Ronin » Wed Apr 20, 2005 8:41 am

emersongreen wrote:ppl....ok.... IF YOU DON'T THINK THAT MANWHA IS THE COOLEST THING ON EARTH AFTER YOU READ THIS POST THEN SOMTHING MUST BE WRONG

http://img259.echo.cx/my.php?image=asellasdiel7qy.jpg
http://img259.echo.cx/my.php?image=beramode9uu.jpg
http://img259.echo.cx/my.php?image=carlos8wd.jpg
http://img259.echo.cx/my.php?image=christian21oq.jpg
http://img259.echo.cx/my.php?image=dieneramiel6jy.jpg
http://img259.echo.cx/my.php?image=embla9dc.jpg
http://img259.echo.cx/my.php?image=mariaesslin9uw.jpg
http://img259.echo.cx/my.php?image=oxide0012mu.jpg
http://img259.echo.cx/my.php?image=saladin7e02et.jpg
http://img259.echo.cx/my.php?image=mycurrentdesktopbymichelle840k.jpg
http://img259.echo.cx/my.php?image=agreian1tf.jpg
http://img259.echo.cx/my.php?image=azel9hf.jpg
http://img259.echo.cx/my.php?image=calintz3tt.jpg
http://img259.echo.cx/my.php?image=calintzj4xs.jpg
http://img259.echo.cx/my.php?image=mccomm16vg.jpg
http://img259.echo.cx/my.php?image=ruchielu0uj.jpg

lets not come to conclusions too quickly eh????!!!!!
what manga can even compete with this type of realism!!!!!!!!!
btw, if you PM me i can send you another 100 links with as much detail and coolness as these

so lets not come to conclutions about detail eh?

also UC, i intend this to be a manhwa discussion thread mainly, and to clear up the fog that hazes manga and manhwa

WOW beautiful avatar sunako!!!!!!!!!!!!!
that looks soo cool....where did you get/find it?????

Great art style I've seen many American comics done in this same fashion...But I'm sorry to me nutin beats a spikey haird pretty boy with a huge sword that "realisticly" he could not hold.

However you may turn people away from this thread with your "Manwha is better than manga and this is why!" Once I read all your reason I felt like saying something tht I'm afraid I cant post on the fourms.

Also your logic is flawed by thinking everyone is attracted to realisim.
Solid Ronin

Postby Mangafanatic » Wed Apr 20, 2005 9:50 am

Ashley wrote:I wish you guys would learn that if you want to start a new club, you need to PM a staffer and ask permission to do so first. I didn't think I'd have to write it into the FAQs because I thought that was pretty commonknowledge, but I guess I have to now.

. . . I didn't know that, either. :sweat:
Every year in Uganda, innumerable children simply. . . disappear. These children all stolen under the cover of darkness from their homes and impressed into the guerilla armies of the LRA [Lord's Resistance Army]. In the deserts of Uganda, they are forced to witness the mindless slaughter of other children until they themselves can do nothing but kill. Kill. These children, generally ranging from ages 5-12, are brainwashed into murdering in the name of the resistance and into stealing other children from their beds to suffer the same fate.

Because of this genocide of innocence, hundred and hundreds of children live every night sleeping in public places miles from their homes, because they know that if the do not-- they will disappear. They will become just another number in this genocide to which the international community has chosen to turn a blind eye. They will become, in affect, invisible-- Invisible Children.

But there are those who are trying to fight against this slaughter of Uganda's children. They fight to protect these "invisible children." Please, help them help a country full of children who know nothing by fear. Help save the innocence. For more information concerning how you can help and how you can get an incredible video about this horrific reality, visit the Invisible Children home page.
Mangafanatic

Next

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews