Animanga?

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

Animanga?

Postby H. Kenshin » Mon Apr 11, 2005 9:20 pm

Hey everyone,
Lately when i go to Borders i notice inu-yasha animanga and then next to them is just mangas what is the difference; and are they whorth buying. :)
Even though I walk through the shadow of death, I fear no evil; for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me. Thou dost prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; thou hast anointed my head with oil; my cup overflows. Surely godness and lovingkindness will overflow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever. Psalm 23:4-6
H. Kenshin

Postby Arnobius » Mon Apr 11, 2005 9:46 pm

[quote="H. Kenshin"]Hey everyone,
Lately when i go to Borders i notice inu-yasha animanga and then next to them is just mangas what is the difference]
I believe animanga are books made up of screenshots of the show arranged in comic form and have word baloons added. Personally I don't like them.
Arnobius

Postby Maledicte » Tue Apr 12, 2005 9:23 am

I agree. They're rather icky.
Either buy the manga or stick to the anime...I think animanga is just for people who *need* their comics in *color*...who can't stand *black and white* comics and film...bleah.
Maledicte

Postby bigsleepj » Tue Apr 12, 2005 9:52 am

I like my manga on the page
I like my anime on the screen
and the two should never meet
in anything between.
bigsleepj

Postby Mangafanatic » Tue Apr 12, 2005 10:21 am

I agree with all about. Animanga is simply pathetic attempt at making more money off of any given title. (Plus, the animanga is generally more expensive than the anime title. [Spirited away animanga is something like five volumes at eight dollars a piece compared to twenty dollars for the movie.])
Every year in Uganda, innumerable children simply. . . disappear. These children all stolen under the cover of darkness from their homes and impressed into the guerilla armies of the LRA [Lord's Resistance Army]. In the deserts of Uganda, they are forced to witness the mindless slaughter of other children until they themselves can do nothing but kill. Kill. These children, generally ranging from ages 5-12, are brainwashed into murdering in the name of the resistance and into stealing other children from their beds to suffer the same fate.

Because of this genocide of innocence, hundred and hundreds of children live every night sleeping in public places miles from their homes, because they know that if the do not-- they will disappear. They will become just another number in this genocide to which the international community has chosen to turn a blind eye. They will become, in affect, invisible-- Invisible Children.

But there are those who are trying to fight against this slaughter of Uganda's children. They fight to protect these "invisible children." Please, help them help a country full of children who know nothing by fear. Help save the innocence. For more information concerning how you can help and how you can get an incredible video about this horrific reality, visit the Invisible Children home page.
Mangafanatic

Postby bigsleepj » Tue Apr 12, 2005 10:27 am

Mangafanatic wrote:I agree with all about. Animanga is simply pathetic attempt at making more money off of any given title.

I don't know who started it but I saw they published some of the European animated movies in this fashion as well (for instance "Tintin and the Lake of Sharks"). These kind of adaptions are borderline incoherent mostly and not too interesting to read. You're right - its better to buy the movie.
bigsleepj

Postby Maledicte » Tue Apr 12, 2005 12:30 pm

bigsleepj wrote:I like my manga on the page
I like my anime on the screen
and the two should never meet
in anything between.

Love that rhyme :rock:
Maledicte

Postby bigsleepj » Tue Apr 12, 2005 12:33 pm

SirThinks2Much wrote:Love that rhyme :rock:

Thanks.

Personally I think it needs work.
bigsleepj

Postby Kisa » Tue Apr 12, 2005 12:43 pm

Animanga is a storybook made up with actual footage shots from the anime. It shows the series and pictures as if you were watching it as opposed to the manga version.
Romans 12:2
Kisa

Postby uc pseudonym » Tue Apr 12, 2005 1:18 pm

The question has been answered, but I will offer my opinion. I do not approve, primarily because I believe it exists solely for commercial reasons (by which I seperate it from commercial releases that tell a new and original story). Also, some of them are terribly made.
uc pseudonym

Postby H. Kenshin » Tue Apr 12, 2005 9:17 pm

Thank you all for answering my question so know i now it is a waste of money.
Even though I walk through the shadow of death, I fear no evil; for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me. Thou dost prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; thou hast anointed my head with oil; my cup overflows. Surely godness and lovingkindness will overflow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever. Psalm 23:4-6
H. Kenshin

Postby Arnobius » Tue Apr 12, 2005 10:55 pm

Not just an American phenomenon. I discovered the Japanese do it too. I thought I was bidding on a volume of Love Hina DX (Black white and orange) and wound up with an Animanga.
Arnobius

Postby mitsuki lover » Thu Apr 14, 2005 5:49 pm

Well as far as myself goes,I am planning on buying a copy of the Inuyasha animanga the next time I go to town along with an Inuyasha DVD.So we shall see.
I already have several copies of the regular manga.
mitsuki lover

Postby uc pseudonym » Fri Apr 15, 2005 5:25 am

The one Animanga I was glad to see was Spirited Away, because I haven't ever seen the film. Unfortunately, each volume is quite thin, and they're poorly made (many, many panels to show one action).
uc pseudonym

Postby Arnobius » Fri Apr 15, 2005 7:40 am

uc pseudonym wrote:The one Animanga I was glad to see was Spirited Away, because I haven't ever seen the film. Unfortunately, each volume is quite thin, and they're poorly made (many, many panels to show one action).

I saw those. Looked like a capitalization of the movie marketing when it first came out (same time it hit the theaters)
Arnobius

Postby uc pseudonym » Fri Apr 15, 2005 1:24 pm

That is probably an accurate assessment. Fortunately, there is the concept of the library...
uc pseudonym

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews