John Williams is the man.

For all the music-lovers out there, this is your place to swap lyrics, talk about new bands and jazz about concerts. All things related to the audio world belong here.

John Williams is the man.

Postby ShiroiHikari » Sat Apr 02, 2005 9:45 am

(this is a repost from my LiveJournal that I just wanted to share. wasn't sure if I should put this in In the Spotlight or Jam Session...lol)

last night was awesome. why? I'll tell you.

sometimes Brad's work raffles off free tickets to local events. Brad put his name in the drawing and won some yesterday. the tickets were for a concert: the Oklahoma City Philharmonic performing the music of John Williams. I didn't even know Oklahoma City HAD a philharmonic, but that's beside the point. the point is...John Williams is the greatest American composer of our time. and I've been a huge fan of his work since I was a kid. I think anyone who DOESN'T enjoy his work in some form or another needs to have their head examined. he's just that good.

hearing things like the Star Wars main title and the Indiana Jones theme performed LIVE by a REAL ORCHESTRA was just absolutely fantastic. they even played the Cantina Band song. it was just one of the coolest things I've ever been to in my whole life. I was almost brought to tears because it was just so awesome.

they performed Princess Leia's Theme, which is a beautiful piece and almost makes me cry when I listen to it in the first place. it's just so full of emotion, especially the solo violin toward the end. (if you've never heard the whole piece, go find it right now.) then later on, they performed a song he did for AI: Artificial Intelligence. more emotion there. and THEN they performed the theme from Schindler's List. so yeah, it's a wonder that I -didn't- start bawling.

ET was a movie that I never really liked, but wow, what a fantastic score it had. same thing for Close Encounters of the Third Kind.

an orchestra is a fascinating thing. it's almost like a whole instrument in and of itself...it's a beautiful thing to see so many people working together so perfectly to make such a wonderful sound.

so, if any of you ever have a chance to go to something like this, DO IT.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby CephasWhite » Sat Apr 02, 2005 12:06 pm

:wow!:

:shady: you suck ShiHi.

:waah!: I WANNA SEE THAT!!
Two Steps From Hell - Tristan <--(click)
†††††††††††††
We have been here long enough to know
That we are all brothers and sisters in Christ,
So if you are in need of help,
We shall give you His advice.

May God add his blessings upon you,
That you will live this day and forever,
And when He comes to the earth again,
We will all go together...

Into Heaven for Eternity...

[SIZE="5"][color="Green"]M[/color][color="Red"]E[/color][color="Green"]R[/color][color="Red"]R[/color][color="Green"]Y[/color] [color="Red"]C[/color][color="Green"]H[/color][color="Red"]R[/color][color="Green"]I[/color][color="Red"]S[/color][color="Green"]T[/color][color="Red"]M[/color][color="Green"]A[/color][color="Red"]S[/color][color="Green"]![/color][color="Red"]![/color][color="Green"]![/color][/SIZE]
CephasWhite

Postby ShiroiHikari » Sat Apr 02, 2005 5:56 pm

yeah, it's one of the few times in my life that I've gotten lucky....lol
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Stephen » Sat Apr 02, 2005 7:51 pm

Cool stuff Shihi. I would love to see him...but my bet is he does not even know where Maine is...
Stephen

Postby ShiroiHikari » Sat Apr 02, 2005 7:55 pm

well, it would have been awesome if he had really been there, but he wasn't. still, it was great.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Ashley » Sat Apr 02, 2005 8:00 pm

Awesome ShiHi. I've had the great opportunity to experience something similiar--it was the Houston Orchestra performing John Williams music. You're absolutely right, his work is incredible and it was amazing to hear Star Wars, Darth Vader's march, and Indiana Jones from right there!
Ashley

Postby glitch1501 » Sat Apr 02, 2005 8:16 pm

omgosh! i love john willams, he is AWESOME

Glitch's Photostream

He wants them to learn to walk and must therefore take away His hand; and if only the will to walk is really there, He is pleased even with their stumbles.

Healing hands of God have mercy on our unclean souls
once again. Jesus Christ, Light of the World, burning
bright within our hearts forever. Freedom means love
without condition, without beginning or an end. Here's
my heart, let it be forever Yours, only You can make
every new day seem so new.
Every New Day - On Distant Shores - Five Iron Frenzy

Nail pierced hands they run with blood
A splitting brow forced by the thorns
His face is writhing with the pain yet it's comforting to me
Passion - Kutless
:thumb:
glitch1501

Postby Kaori » Sat Apr 02, 2005 11:16 pm

I was in a symphonic band last school year, and we played a John Williams medley for a few of our concerts; it was fairly enjoyable. Since the college I attend is a fairly conservative Christian school, we tactfully omitted from the program the fact that Hedgwig's theme was a part of the medley. Still, it's cool that you had the opportunity to hear his music performed professionally.
Let others believe in the God who brings men to trial and judges them. I shall cling to the God who resurrects the dead.
-St. Nikolai Velimirovich

MAL
Kaori

Postby Stephen » Sat Apr 02, 2005 11:32 pm

well, it would have been awesome if he had really been there, but he wasn't. still, it was great.

D'oh I read it wrong. I am a goober.
Stephen

Postby Ashley » Sun Apr 03, 2005 1:23 pm

I am a goober.

Can I get that on tape? :evil:

I'm truly amazed at the range of work Williams has done. From the big, epic movies of the 80s/early 90s like Star Wars and Indiana Jones, to the more modern stuff like A.I. That's a mark of talent, if you ask me: transceding the decades and genres.
Ashley

Postby Mithrandir » Sun Apr 03, 2005 4:00 pm

AT the end of the starwars limited edition double CD score collection is a recording of him conducting the opening score to S.W.A.N.H. It goes through multiple recordings with the woodwinds taking the lead sometimes, etc. It's marvelous. John Williams is definately one of the best moden composers.
Mithrandir

Postby glitch1501 » Sun Apr 03, 2005 6:32 pm

he definatly is one of the best modren, and maybe even of all time, he is amazing

Glitch's Photostream

He wants them to learn to walk and must therefore take away His hand; and if only the will to walk is really there, He is pleased even with their stumbles.

Healing hands of God have mercy on our unclean souls
once again. Jesus Christ, Light of the World, burning
bright within our hearts forever. Freedom means love
without condition, without beginning or an end. Here's
my heart, let it be forever Yours, only You can make
every new day seem so new.
Every New Day - On Distant Shores - Five Iron Frenzy

Nail pierced hands they run with blood
A splitting brow forced by the thorns
His face is writhing with the pain yet it's comforting to me
Passion - Kutless
:thumb:
glitch1501

Postby Scribs » Sun Apr 03, 2005 7:41 pm

I still like Arthur Sullivan better, but John Williams is definatly really great. I love the theme to Jurasic park (among many others).
"I concluded from the begining that this would be the end; and I am right, for it is not half over."
-Sir Boyle Roche
Scribs

Return to Jam Session