Do you ever feel guilty about stuff you listen to?

For all the music-lovers out there, this is your place to swap lyrics, talk about new bands and jazz about concerts. All things related to the audio world belong here.

Do you ever feel guilty about stuff you listen to?

Postby SailorX » Mon Sep 22, 2003 10:48 pm

I know I do!

There's just some songs thayt are awful, But I Love the melody, Like the Def Leppard Song, "Wasted". The Song is about getting drunk and high (This is off their first album 23 years ago) and stuff, but the riff is just too cool.

And thank God for my audio editor because there are song I really love, but have cuss words so I edit them out. Prime example is Maroon 5- Harder to Breathe. Fantastic song, but they had to mess it up with the f-word!

And of course I still listen to Def Leppard- who's been my fav band since I was 5- and they have some REALLY inaproprate songs. Same with Aerosmith.

I do listen to Alice Cooper cause he's a big Christian now...and a sunday school teacher... **burst out laghing**

I can go on and on, but I have this thing- Lyrics bad, song good... It bugs me!
SailorX

Postby Shinja » Tue Sep 23, 2003 4:35 am

all i can say is alice cooper is my hero.
MATT
Matt blends in - and hates it.

Give me a bike and a road by which to travel.
Shinja

Postby Stephen » Tue Sep 23, 2003 7:24 pm

I guess I see music different then most...but none of my music makes me feel guilty...it might not be what others would listen to...but I mean, people watch anime that I feel crosses the line, so we all have different personal convictions on things...I would say if somthing makes you feel guilty, you should try to ween it away from yourself...just a thought, and yes Alice Coopers cd Brutal Planet...was amazing.
Stephen

Postby Spencer » Tue Sep 23, 2003 7:27 pm

Sometimes...In a lot of Linkin Park songs, they scream and stuff, even if it's a really neat song. So their rating goes down a point or two for that. But as for cussing...

>_>

I usually don't even know they cuss, but sometimes they'll mix it and then I catch it...Then their coolness factor goes down.
:)
Spencer

Postby ShiroiHikari » Tue Sep 23, 2003 9:37 pm

Since when does LP cuss? I've never heard any cursing or seen it in the lyric sheets. And I guess I don't mind the screaming. I like to listen to that music sometimes...but not alla time. But I don't feel bad about it. In my case, I don't think there's anything to feel bad about.

I don't make a habit of listening to music with dirty lyrics/a lot of swearing. There was this J-rock song by Gackt called Vanilla. Great music. I liked it a lot when I first downloaded it. But I always look up romanizations/translations for J-rock songs and this one...was...uh...o_O Let's just say it ain't in my playlist anymore.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Stephen » Tue Sep 23, 2003 9:53 pm

On LPs remix cd Reanimation, there are a few in the song....High Voltage...that was the name. But Reanimation was crap...and just a sick way of making more money for the record lable. Meteroa and Hybrid Theory are good clean cds.
Stephen

Postby Rashiir » Tue Sep 23, 2003 10:04 pm

Nah, cause most of what I listen to is either Christian or doesn't have lyrics.
"Be joyful always." - 1 Thes 5:16
Rashiir

Postby Gypsy » Wed Sep 24, 2003 10:34 am

ShiroiHikari wrote:But I always look up romanizations/translations for J-rock songs and this one...was...uh...o_O Let's just say it ain't in my playlist anymore.

Aye. I've had to take stuff off mine after looking up translations too. "I was singing along to WHAT?!" :red:
||Skipping Tomorrows Webmanga||
"A ship in harbor is safe but that is not what ships are built for." - John A. Shedd
Gypsy

Postby shooraijin » Wed Sep 24, 2003 1:07 pm

One thing I'm happy to find is good music with a beat that's purely instrumental. Often video games are a good source, especially if the audio is stored as CD tracks (the old DOS and Mac game Carmageddon has an amazingly good soundtrack, the Mac version has it on a separate redbook audio session, and it's totally without lyrics -- headbang w/o guilt! :thumb: ).
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby Heaven's Cloud » Wed Sep 24, 2003 1:56 pm

Sometimes I feel guilty because there is one song by Eminem, that is just hard to not like. I feel bad about listening to it, but I love the song.

Sometimes I feel bad about listening to Korn. Their music is some of my favorite, and I think that it is not good. I just like the rythem and stuff.
Heaven's Cloud

Postby Spencer » Wed Sep 24, 2003 3:40 pm

ShiroiHikari wrote:Since when does LP cuss? I've never heard any cursing or seen it in the lyric sheets.

No, no, you misunderstood. I wasn't talking about Linkin Park when I said "I don't usually hear the cussing", I was talking about bands in general. My bad, I didn't make that very clear.

And to Shatterheart: Reanimation did totally suck, the only okay songs on there is the Crawling remix, just cause they blended the violin nicely. I think it's Krwlng or somethin odd like that.
:)
Spencer

Postby Stephen » Thu Sep 25, 2003 8:32 pm

Plus it had Aaron Lewis from Staind...which was a nice touch..(good taste Spence)...or should I say Ringo...
Stephen

Postby Bobtheduck » Fri Sep 26, 2003 4:42 pm

Gypsy wrote:Aye. I've had to take stuff off mine after looking up translations too. "I was singing along to WHAT?!" :red:

Hmm... all of the anime/j-pop songs I've listened to are like sugary-sweet in their lyrics (except "y'know" which is about the only anime song I know that is about an issue of some sort... though it's like, only part of the song... the rest of it is pretty shallow... ^_^)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Legend of Crying Bronies: Twilight's a Princess
Bobtheduck

Postby Whitephoenix » Sat Sep 27, 2003 3:56 pm

What I mostly listen to is Christian music with a modicum of secular that lacks objectionable content. However, it's a little harder when I listen to music with friends who aren't as "deep" about God, which makes it difficult to tell them that I don't feel confortable listening to profane lyrics without offending them. I guess it's best to have a pack of music with positive messages handy in these situations.
Whitephoenix

Postby Mr. Rogers » Sat Sep 27, 2003 6:42 pm

is alice cooper really a Christian? the pics ive seen of him look like a zombie who just jumped out of a grave or something...hehe
Mr. Rogers

Postby Bobtheduck » Tue Sep 30, 2003 9:23 pm

Alice Cooper became a christian recently but he's still under contract to do concerts and dress a certain way and sing some of his old songs... he is required to do so by his contract, until that runs out... (of course, it may have run out by this thread, I don't know when it ended)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Legend of Crying Bronies: Twilight's a Princess
Bobtheduck

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Sun Oct 12, 2003 8:48 pm

Seireisamano Se wrote:I know I do!

There's just some songs thayt are awful, But I Love the melody, Like the Def Leppard Song, "Wasted". The Song is about getting drunk and high (This is off their first album 23 years ago) and stuff, but the riff is just too cool.

And thank God for my audio editor because there are song I really love, but have cuss words so I edit them out. Prime example is Maroon 5- Harder to Breathe. Fantastic song, but they had to mess it up with the f-word!

And of course I still listen to Def Leppard- who's been my fav band since I was 5- and they have some REALLY inaproprate songs. Same with Aerosmith.

I do listen to Alice Cooper cause he's a big Christian now...and a sunday school teacher... **burst out laghing**

I can go on and on, but I have this thing- Lyrics bad, song good... It bugs me!

yeah know if it makes you feel guilty dont listen to it...WWJD remember? besides there are many other bands to such as Journy, who really are okay to listen too. and dont forget the christain music
Shao Feng-Li

that's sad

Postby Fsiphskilm » Thu Oct 16, 2003 6:02 pm

you poeple are so funny...
Last edited by Fsiphskilm on Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fsiphskilm

Postby Shadow Bee » Thu Oct 16, 2003 7:46 pm

at times i feel bad, but i mostly listen to DC Talk, Toby Mac, Pillar, and P.O.D. along with Newsboys...
only when i play alot of my Japanese music for about a week in a row do i feel bad... but that's only when mom yells at me for it...

I'm back! Yay for me!

Image Best Wishes, Shadow Bee
Shadow Bee

Postby ShiroiHikari » Thu Oct 16, 2003 11:06 pm

If you're afraid of your Japanese songs' lyrics being "bad", it's not too hard to find translations for them online. You just have to have a bit of free time. What artists and songs do you listen to? Maybe I can look up some lyrics for you.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby MillyFan » Fri Oct 17, 2003 2:24 am

:eyebrow: at the bouncing troll. . .

Thanks to doukeshi03 from otakuboards for the banner!

First, Ban all the Trolls. . . :bootout:

Hey, whatever happened to "thou shalt not steal" anyway?

Guess which bishounen is my avatar.
MillyFan

Postby Mithrandir » Fri Oct 17, 2003 12:51 pm

Seireisamano Se wrote:...Like the Def Leppard Song, "Wasted". The Song is about getting drunk and high (This is off their first album 23 years ago)... ...I still listen to Def Leppard- who's been my fav band since I was 5...

I was looking at this and thinking, "Hmm. I think I first heard DL around that age" (some of my brother's friends liked it). The irony here is that I was 5 almost precisely 23 years ago.
Mithrandir

Postby true_noir_chloe » Fri Oct 17, 2003 11:07 pm

I never feel guilty about the stuff I listen to. If I get the pang of guilt today I'm probably not listening to it tomorrow. :cool:

[size=84][color=seagreen]YOU SEE

You see into the deepest part of me ---

beyond the fog I hide behind.

You cast your light upon the shadows

that stretch like cobwebs in my mind.

You ease the pain when I am hurting,

and morbid visions from my past

pierce into the realm of Reason

as though I danced on blades of glass.

You grant me strength when I have fallen

and, once again, I've lost my way.

You take my hand in Yours and lead me

into the promise of a brand new day.

You bring order to all my chaos,

yet set my well-laid plans awry.

You place me on a firm foundation ---

then give me wings so I can fly.

You sand away my roughened edges

and polish all the dullest parts

until I stand before Your presence...

a newly-sculpted work of art.

You see into the heart within me,

right through my motives and selfish will.

And yet, in spite of all You see

You say You love me even still.

~by D.M.~

[/color][/size]
true_noir_chloe

Postby Razgriz » Fri Oct 17, 2003 11:34 pm

Nope, because I mainly listen to mild and light Japanese stuff anyways.
Razgriz

Postby Straylight » Sun Oct 19, 2003 8:34 am

I mostly listen to drum+bass music, and oldskool jungle/hardcore. There are usually no or minimal lyrics, so I don't really tend to feel guilty when I listen to it. In fact I think my interest in drum+bass is something that God gave to me as a witnessing tool :)

I occasionally listen to Rage and Metallica, and I've found that if I listen to that for more than an hour I start getting a nasty feeling, so it's not something I make a habit of.
[align=center]
Banner above created using my avatar generator tool.
You know you want try it.
Straylight

Postby bemanisuperstar » Thu Oct 30, 2003 9:57 pm

Don't let anybody tell you that Song/Artist X is bad for you. I've been Raging a word war with this dude Eric Holmburg and his Cronies who have an all out assult on all secular music I just think their prestnation and borderline brainwashing is bad for chrstians and non christians bashing music beloved by many people creates a backlash against all christians. So Listen to what you want nobody but God to answer to about what you listen to. I know God would understand why you listen to it and why song was written so don't sweat it.

[color="red"]<edited>[/color]
bemanisuperstar

Postby Straylight » Thu Oct 30, 2003 10:17 pm

That last bit was inappropriate, please think about the younger members of the board.

Consider this a warning
[align=center]
Banner above created using my avatar generator tool.
You know you want try it.
Straylight

Postby MillyFan » Fri Oct 31, 2003 2:56 am

Yeah, he's been making a habit of that. Grr. ^sigh^

Thanks to doukeshi03 from otakuboards for the banner!

First, Ban all the Trolls. . . :bootout:

Hey, whatever happened to "thou shalt not steal" anyway?

Guess which bishounen is my avatar.
MillyFan

Postby mechana2015 » Sun Nov 30, 2003 12:57 am

oooohhhh...k don wanna know what that said.

I usually dont listen to stuff w/ cussing...really bugs the heck out of me if it takes cussing to express their feelings...I actually try to find the edited CDs often, or the songs that are clean so I dont have to listen to stuff in the music. If you put the effort into it to find them some of these CDs they are quite worth it if cussing is the only problem with the CD.
There are quite a few bands I avoid due to content.
For example...most rap music and the videos associated with them. (I make it a habit to eat in the TV-less part of our dining hall because I find most of the music videos offensive).

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby mechana2015 » Sun Nov 30, 2003 12:59 am

oh and i listen to a lot of lyric light or free techno
(omnibus Club mix anyone)?

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Next

Return to Jam Session