Romance <meaningful sigh here>

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

Romance <meaningful sigh here>

Postby Steeltemplar » Fri Mar 18, 2005 9:35 am

I need a recommendation, folks. I am looking for a new romantic manga to read. Try to keep away from shoujo stuff. I am a guy, after all. My brother would make fun of me if I read shoujo. lol. Previous ones that I have enjoyed:

Love Hina, AI Love You, Negima (yes, I am an Akamatsu fan!), Chobits, Oh My Goddess

On another note entirely, but tacked on because it does not merit a threadof its own: In AI Love You, Saati on at least a couple of occasions has worn an apron with the words "Puru Puru" on it. Anyone know what that's a reference too?
Headbangers United

"There is no surer sign of decay in a country than to see the rites of religion held in contempt." - Niccolo Machiavelli

"But even as Josue and Caleb declared that the Land of Promise was good and fair, and that the possession of it would be easy and pleasant; so the Holy Spirit, speaking by all the Saints, and our Blessed Lord Himself assure us that a devout life is a lovely, a pleasant, and a happy life." - from An Introduction to the Devout Life, by St. Francis de Sales

Loyal subject of Sakura-hime, the RP Princess.
CR-chan's faithful PNC.
FF-chan's NiichanB.
Steeltemplar

Postby RoyalWing » Fri Mar 18, 2005 12:15 pm

So, you don't mind detailed nudity? (because you said "Chobits"). I really like a series called "Video Girl Ai" by Masakazu Katsura. Did you want to know what it's about? Euh, here:

It's a about a 16 year old boy who is known as Yota Motéuchi. But, you can also read it Moténai, which means something like "the one who repels girls". Most people call him this because it's true, he has never had a date before, "looser". He is really in love with a pretty girl of his class called Moémi. But Moémi likes Yota's best friend Takashi (<<< girls really like him). When Yota finds this out, he's sad, so he finds a weird vidéo shop he didn't notice before, and finds himself renting an adult video called "Ai Amano ~ I'll Console You~ " He puts it in his casette player, and pof!! Ai has come out of the television and wants to help Yota in his love troubles!!

Of course, it's much more complicated than this, (and, I like this one so much, especially the art, and the story and... every thing (=w=) ) I'm sorry, this is the only one I can recommend, because I think they made it in english. Good luck in your search~
RoyalWing

Postby Mangafanatic » Fri Mar 18, 2005 2:21 pm

Romance? Outside of shoujo manga!? That's gonna be a little hard. Oh well, I'll give it a good old college try!

Since I read very little shonen, my best recommendation is Rurouni Kenshin. But that doesn't have much romance in it. Other than that, I don't have anything. Sorry.

BTW, You might wanna just give some shoujo manga a try. Just because it's shoujo doesn't mean guys can't read it. There are many males here on CAA who enjoy shoujo as much, if not more, than shounen. Plus, pretty much everything you've read upto this point would fall into the shoujo spectrum.
Every year in Uganda, innumerable children simply. . . disappear. These children all stolen under the cover of darkness from their homes and impressed into the guerilla armies of the LRA [Lord's Resistance Army]. In the deserts of Uganda, they are forced to witness the mindless slaughter of other children until they themselves can do nothing but kill. Kill. These children, generally ranging from ages 5-12, are brainwashed into murdering in the name of the resistance and into stealing other children from their beds to suffer the same fate.

Because of this genocide of innocence, hundred and hundreds of children live every night sleeping in public places miles from their homes, because they know that if the do not-- they will disappear. They will become just another number in this genocide to which the international community has chosen to turn a blind eye. They will become, in affect, invisible-- Invisible Children.

But there are those who are trying to fight against this slaughter of Uganda's children. They fight to protect these "invisible children." Please, help them help a country full of children who know nothing by fear. Help save the innocence. For more information concerning how you can help and how you can get an incredible video about this horrific reality, visit the Invisible Children home page.
Mangafanatic

Postby Steeltemplar » Fri Mar 18, 2005 2:27 pm

True....I could just tell my brother to take a walk. Heh.

Change of rules. Go ahead and recommend shoujo too. I would hate to miss out on something :)
Headbangers United

"There is no surer sign of decay in a country than to see the rites of religion held in contempt." - Niccolo Machiavelli

"But even as Josue and Caleb declared that the Land of Promise was good and fair, and that the possession of it would be easy and pleasant; so the Holy Spirit, speaking by all the Saints, and our Blessed Lord Himself assure us that a devout life is a lovely, a pleasant, and a happy life." - from An Introduction to the Devout Life, by St. Francis de Sales

CR-chan's faithful PNC.
FF-chan's NiichanB.
Steeltemplar

Postby Mangafanatic » Fri Mar 18, 2005 2:45 pm

Steeltemplar wrote:True....I could just tell my brother to take a walk. Heh.

Change of rules. Go ahead and recommend shoujo too. I would hate to miss out on something :)

Bwa ha ha!! Let the true romantic manga recommendations commence!

Osaka's three favorite shoujo, romancy-goodness manga!:

1)Fruits Basket-- The story of the orphaned Tohru Honda who discovers one that the family she lives with is cursed. Whenever they come into contact with a member of the opposite sex, they transforms into an anime of the chinese zodiac. Of the 100+ volumes of (almost entirely shoujo) manga I've ever read, these are my favorite.

2)Imadoki-- this manga is written my Yuu Watase. That means the art is incredible and the story rocks too. Imadoki, though, differs from her other works in that she doesn't throw in a lot of stupid nudity into it.

The story itself is about Tanpopo, a girl who moves from the country to attend a super elite private school. Unforetuneately, when she arrives, she discovers that the student population is comprised, almost entirely, of snobby rich kids who just want her to drop out! Among these students, she meets Kouki and resolves to be his friend. The problem? He doesn't want to be her friend, but that's not going to stop Tanpopo.

3)DNAngel--The story of Daisuke Niwa who, after being rejected by the girl of his dreams, discovers that his family is cursed (?) by the spirit of a phantom theif named "Dark" who inhabits every generation of Niwa men. Suddenly, Daisuke finds that he's sharing his body with the smooth, cocky, woman magnet named Dark. Worst still, the catalyst which causes him to transform entirely into dark is when he sees the girl he loves.

Again-- crappy summary, but these really are good series. You should give them a try. Especially the first two. In addition to have great plots, those two also contain some excellent, inspiring characters.
Every year in Uganda, innumerable children simply. . . disappear. These children all stolen under the cover of darkness from their homes and impressed into the guerilla armies of the LRA [Lord's Resistance Army]. In the deserts of Uganda, they are forced to witness the mindless slaughter of other children until they themselves can do nothing but kill. Kill. These children, generally ranging from ages 5-12, are brainwashed into murdering in the name of the resistance and into stealing other children from their beds to suffer the same fate.

Because of this genocide of innocence, hundred and hundreds of children live every night sleeping in public places miles from their homes, because they know that if the do not-- they will disappear. They will become just another number in this genocide to which the international community has chosen to turn a blind eye. They will become, in affect, invisible-- Invisible Children.

But there are those who are trying to fight against this slaughter of Uganda's children. They fight to protect these "invisible children." Please, help them help a country full of children who know nothing by fear. Help save the innocence. For more information concerning how you can help and how you can get an incredible video about this horrific reality, visit the Invisible Children home page.
Mangafanatic

Postby sonichiro » Sat Mar 19, 2005 3:50 pm

oo, okay uuuuummmmmm here goes my list
mars-by fuyumi soryo. kira doesnt like to be around men because of secrets from her past, rei rides motor cycles and is major player who gambles with his life because of secrets from his past, the two of them are meant to be and try to perservere and continue their relationship together but each of them have try and workout their battles because of their past.

hot gimmick-cant remeber the author even though its on the tip of my tongue. miki aihara maybe? hatsumi is insecure and a total clutz who lives in company housing apartment building wich is basically ruled by the wife of the owner of the company. ryoki is a self-obsorbed mommas boy and son of the companies owner. hes a pervert and he black mails hatsumi into becoming his slave. but soon he realizes that maybe theres more to hatsumi then he thought.

forbidden dance-cant remember author. aya is an amazing ballet dancer who falls and hurts her ankle in one of the biggest competitions of her life. now when she tries to dance her ankle hurts even though its healed, the doctors tell her that its from phycological trauma. she ends up falling in love with the leader of an all male dance troupe, called COOL. will he be what she needs to ever dance again? ya, your brother will deffinately make fun of you for reading this one, but if you really like it, go for it! (ya, my sister makes fun of me for it...o well. when shes old and wrinkley ill still be younger than her so ill be getting the last laugh!)
-- if white was black and black was white, what of shades of grey?
sonichiro

Postby Steeltemplar » Sun Mar 20, 2005 9:39 am

A lot of great suggestions. Thanks everyone :)
Headbangers United

CR-chan's faithful PNC.
FF-chan's NiichanB.
Steeltemplar

Postby Kisa » Mon Mar 21, 2005 11:41 am

Heh Osaka beat me to it again.
YEs Fruits Basket, Imadoki and DNAngel. I would also recommend Tsubasa Resevoir Chronicle. Can't really think of anymore offhand that your bro might like tho.....
Romans 12:2
Kisa

Postby Kireihana » Tue Mar 22, 2005 9:16 am

Yay! Nothin' wrong with a guy who likes romance. ^.~

My absolute favorite romance manga (it is shoujo) is Parfait Tic. It's about a girl named Fuuko whose life is changed when two boys move into the apartment above hers. Basically it's just a romantic comedy and nothing else, but I love it. It is a scanlation though so you won't find it in stores. PM me if you would like a link.

Kodocha is another funny one (you can tell I love comedy) but since it's about an 11-year-old girl, the term "romance" is questionable. Sana, a child actress, tries to fix all the problems around her and the results are hilarious. She has to deal with the affections of a moody male classmate named Akito and a fellow child actor whose name I cannot recall at this time. Anyway I recommed it.

Oh, one more-- I assume you've read Rurouni Kenshin. If not (gasp!) you probably should; it's got a fair share of romance. And it's shounen too, so you won't have to worry about your brother. ;)
Kireihana

Postby Kenshin17 » Tue Mar 22, 2005 9:35 am

I second the above. DN Angel is great. Fruits Basket is also exellent. Full Metal Panic is more of a romantic action comedy. But yea go with Fruits Basket or DN Angel. Speaking as a guy they are great. Now if only I could afford the rest of Fruits Basket...
A nightingale in a golden cage
That's me locked inside reality's maze
Come someone make my heavy heart light
Come undone, bring me back to life
It all starts with a lullaby
Kenshin17

Postby c-girl » Thu Mar 24, 2005 12:42 pm

1)Fruits Basket
2)Kill me Kiss me
3)Immortal Rain
4)Imadoki (kinda girlish, but kinda not.)
5)D.N Angel
6)Happy Hustle High
7)Kodocha
8)Girl Got Game
9)Tsubasa
10) Land of the Blindfolded (I only read the first volume of this so I'm not exact sure about this...one.. I mean, I remember it being romantic.. I think.. probably... maybe.. possibly... Oh well.. You'll just have to read it. >^^<;; )
I live to love and love to live! >^.^<
ImageImage
I am part of The No Group.. Group.. >"<.. >0.o<
~Real guys go for real down to Mars girls ~ "Roses" by Outkast
c-girl

Location: Omg! It's a flying bird!!! *runs away while you're distracted*

Postby enishi » Thu Mar 24, 2005 12:53 pm

ashiteru ze baby has a very nice romance. the dude and highschool and the chick he likes in his class was a very good story. i wont lie, anything with a compelling story about love makes me tear up. ah man, samurai x reflections os soishen for you import fans killed me. i couldnt go anywhere, for like an hour. so sad :waah!:
ImageImage
Which character are you test by Naruto - Kun.com
enishi

Postby aule1701 » Tue Apr 05, 2005 7:21 pm

ok ummmm Aoi yori aoishi is great but it does have some nakedness same goes with marhomatic.
immortal rain is good if you want action.
A person is smart people are dumb
"Perception is reality and reality is perception"- me
He who is easly amused is amused more often
He who laughs last was just to dumb to get the joke
aule1701

Postby Yumie » Sat Apr 09, 2005 9:18 am

10) Land of the Blindfolded (I only read the first volume of this so I'm not exact sure about this...one.. I mean, I remember it being romantic.. I think.. probably... maybe.. possibly... Oh well.. You'll just have to read it. >^^<;; )

Yeah, that one has romance, although it may be a little girly?. . . At least a lot of it would probably appeal a bit more to a girl than to a guy. But hey, you never know!

I would HAVE to suggest Fruits Basket too. It's my favorite manga, it's so good! And if your brother has a problem with it, I'm pretty sure there are at least four or five of us who would go beat him up for you. OK, not really, that wouldn't be nice. But seriously, Fruits Basket rocks.
Yumie

Postby Liger'smane » Sun Apr 10, 2005 10:44 pm

One series I would recommend is "Marmalade Boy". It's a shojoe. The story is about a girl and her dysFUNctional family. To put an eliquent long story short her life gets turned upside down when her parents tell her that they just changed partners with another couple... and the problems that insue (like meeting their son... hint hint). I loved this one and it's really clean...
"Therefore, my dear friends, as you have always obeyed-not only in my presence, but now much more in my absence-continue to work out your salvation with fear and trembling, for it is God who works in you to will and to act according to his good purpose." Philippians 2:12-13 :angel: ;)

98% of the teenage population does or has tried smoking pot. If you're one of the 2% who hasn't, copy & paste this in your signature.
~~~
War determines not who is right, but who is left. :bang:

There is no such thing as good luck. There is only misfortune and its occasional absence.:evil:

Viking proverv:"Always remember to pillage BEFORE you burn." MUAHAHAHA!:evil:
Liger'smane

Location: Often, I occupy that vacant space in between my ears.

Postby Indigo_Eyes » Mon Apr 11, 2005 1:48 pm

Liger'smane wrote:One series I would recommend is "Marmalade Boy". It's a shojoe. The story is about a girl and her dysFUNctional family. To put an eliquent long story short her life gets turned upside down when her parents tell her that they just changed partners with another couple... and the problems that insue (like meeting their son... hint hint). I loved this one and it's really clean...

Yes! Read Marmalade Boy...it's really good, one of the fist mangas that I have read. And I've heard of guys reading it and liking it too....
Indigo_Eyes

Postby faithfighter » Sat May 28, 2005 9:45 pm

only ones I know are Shojo..sorry but here there names any way.

>Fruit Basket
> From Far away (this one is a mystery and an adventure to..best of all worlds!)
> imadoki (this 1 I think of any is the purest Shojo sappy Manga Ive ever read so stay clear!)
[color="Green"][font="Verdana"]There is no one you can't love once you know their story-Mary Lou Lawnacki[/font][/color]
faithfighter

Postby Hoshika » Sun May 29, 2005 8:36 am

Um, yes Furuba and DNAngel are way up there also you may want to check out....

W JULIET

I mean the title just screams "I'm a romance manga!" and you won't be disapointed! :D
Hoshika

Postby Kkun » Sun May 29, 2005 8:39 am

Kodocha, Imadoki, Alice 19th, and Marmalade Boy are all ones that I have read and thoroughly enjoyed. I'd say give one of those a try. Alice 19th has one scene in, I think it's book 5, that's kind of rough, but it was a really nice story. Judging by the other stuff you like, it shouldn't be a big deal.
I'm a shoe-in for hater of the year.
Kkun

Postby ChristianKitsune » Mon May 30, 2005 3:51 pm

Your trusted PNC says: READ ALICE 19TH!!! IT IS AWESOME!

and Manga Fanatic, Rurouni Kenshin Has romance!! (you just haven't gotten there yet.. it is a few volumes away when It really comes out! ^^)

Dnangel and Furuba have already been mentioned

I have read the first few vol of FullMetal Panic and lemme tell you.. YOU WOULD LIKE IT!! There is blossoming romance..(probably more.I have read up to 3) and it is just great!

WISH is good too..
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
Web-Manga Hosted by: The Project
ChristianKitsune

Location: In my sketchbook of wonderment and puffy pink clouds! *\^o^/*

Postby Heart of Sword » Mon May 30, 2005 4:03 pm

Rurouni Kenshin. But that doesn't have much romance in it.

Oh yes it does....:drool: RK rocks.

Fruits Basket's fun. Fairly clean, too. FAIRLY. There's some mild swearing and very, very mild innuendo.
Heart of Sword's Rhapsody

Money, get away
Get a good job with good pay and you're okay
And all and all you're just another brick in the wall
Shoutin’ in the street gonna take on the world some day
But Bismallah will not let me go
Because I'll see you on the dark side of the moon

Tommy used to work on the docks
Union's been on strike
Bright eyes burning like fire
And exposing every weakness
However carefully hidden by the kids

Who will love a little Sparrow
Who's traveled far and cries for rest
Spare him his life from this monstrosity

I've seen a million faces and I've rocked them all
And if the band youre in starts playing different tunes
We will we will rock you
We will we will rock you!

[Pink Floyd fan listening to Queen and hugging trees which is also known as taking care of God's creation with a pair of headphones on listening to Nightwish as loud as possible while writing a novel on a computer in the middle of a field filled with Wolves.]

[Bassist...finally learning Money]
Heart of Sword

Postby VioletEyedCat » Thu Jun 02, 2005 4:46 pm

Hoshika wrote:Um, yes Furuba and DNAngel are way up there also you may want to check out....

W JULIET

I mean the title just screams "I'm a romance manga!" and you won't be disapointed! :D

*Runs in screaming*- W JULIET!?! Where? W Juliet is absolutely perfect for the gooey shoujo reader. Mmm... So sugary this manga is.
My absolute favorite romance manga (it is shoujo) is Parfait Tic. It's about a girl named Fuuko whose life is changed when two boys move into the apartment above hers. Basically it's just a romantic comedy and nothing else, but I love it. It is a scanlation though so you won't find it in stores. PM me if you would like a link.

I also am a Parfait Tic fan, but most unfortunately, I started getting annoyed with Fuuko switching from guy to guy- I was about to scream "PICK SOMEBODY!" But it is still a great manga to read.

:P Smiling's not my Thing :P
VioletEyedCat

Postby Indigo_Eyes » Thu Jun 02, 2005 8:04 pm

VioletEyedCat wrote:I also am a Parfait Tic fan, but most unfortunately, I started getting annoyed with Fuuko switching from guy to guy- I was about to scream "PICK SOMEBODY!" But it is still a great manga to read.

Lol, I felt the same way. I was most definitely an *Ichi* fan at the beginning of the series (my two friends irl who read it too are Daiya fans), but then all that stuff w/ Iori-san happened, and I got really annoyed at him, so now I've sort of turned over to the dark side and am for Daiya, but I'm still might accept Ichi back again if he does something really great to redeem himself (which would take a lot lol).

So yah, Parfait Tic! is a good read-plus, it's a scanlation, so your brother doesn't have to know about it :)
" 'Tis strange-but true; for truth is always strange, stranger than fiction." ~Lord Byron

"When you see a fork in the road, take it." ~Yogi Berra
Indigo_Eyes

Postby Mave » Thu Jun 02, 2005 8:18 pm

Omigosh Parfait Tic drives me crazy!!! I still do like it...but it's amazing how my opinion of a character can change 180 degrees within a few volumes.

In the beginning, I disliked Daiya so much for his playboy attitude and had hopes for Ichi. But then Iori came around and made me dislike both her and Ichi SOOOOO MUCH! Now, I'm rooting for Daiya and Fuuko. \m/

Hmmm...it's been a while since I've kept up with Parfait Tic! Eh....has anyone read up to Step 81?
Mave

Postby Breakman » Thu Jun 02, 2005 9:45 pm

faithfighter wrote:From Far away

I second the reading suggestion. I'm currently reading it now. (How I got into it was weird though...)

It's basically a cut out of the romance/fantasy staple. A girl mysteriously finds herself in a different world, "befriends" a handsome guy, and try to figure out what's going on. What sets it apart from others is that the main character doesn't know the language of the people of this new world. There is hardly nothing suggestive in the manga, but I haven't gone past Volume 4 (waiting for the next one to come...).
:cool:
Breakman

Postby Indigo_Eyes » Fri Jun 03, 2005 5:15 pm

Mave wrote:Omigosh Parfait Tic drives me crazy!!! I still do like it...but it's amazing how my opinion of a character can change 180 degrees within a few volumes.

In the beginning, I disliked Daiya so much for his playboy attitude and had hopes for Ichi. But then Iori came around and made me dislike both her and Ichi SOOOOO MUCH! Now, I'm rooting for Daiya and Fuuko. \m/

Hmmm...it's been a while since I've kept up with Parfait Tic! Eh....has anyone read up to Step 81?

Yep, that was totally me :) My friends somehow liked his playboy attitude from the beginning... Iori made me *really* mad-almost as mad as that one girl in Merupuri who tried to take Aram away made me mad. But if Ichi did something completely wonderful and did a total turnaround I *might* forgive him lol. He's just.... ugh so stupid over Iori! And she's BAD....

Yah, I've read up to the latest, Step 83.
" 'Tis strange-but true; for truth is always strange, stranger than fiction." ~Lord Byron

"When you see a fork in the road, take it." ~Yogi Berra
Indigo_Eyes

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews