Import Manga Makes its Way to US Shelves?

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

Import Manga Makes its Way to US Shelves?

Postby Debitt » Tue Mar 08, 2005 6:53 pm

Well, I was at Borders today browsing the manga, and lo and behold, they are now carrying imported manga. I was fairly impressed with their selection, seeing as they just started stocking it. They had Death Note, Spiral, and some other stuff that's published by Jump Comics, Flower Comics, and GanGan Comics.

The downside? $12.99 a pop. =/ With a price like that, I don't think it's gonna take off too well, unfortunately. Most hardcore fans who buy import manga (or at least the ones I know, including myself) either get their goods off the internet or from Japanese bookstores, where prices are up to 5 dollars cheaper.

[SIZE="5"](*゚∀゚)アハア八アッ八ッノヽ~☆[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]DEBS: Fan of that manga where the kid's head is on fire.[/SIZE]
Debitt

Postby Arnobius » Tue Mar 08, 2005 7:03 pm

Yeah definitely cheaper at JP stores by about $5/volume. Some of the stuff was pretty mature. The one about the Training of the Water Girl (I forget how it was phrased) was from what I saw about a girl learning to be a freelance prostitute :sweat: Definitely will do the reputation of anime/manga some good [/sarcasm]

That reminds me: Negima #9 is out and on it's way to my house, Woo Hoo!
Arnobius

Postby Ashley » Tue Mar 08, 2005 7:24 pm

I really wonder why any "mainstream" audience would even want to buy import from the bookstore. First off, how many of the fans that shop BN/Waldenbooks are that interested in imported stuff? We may like subs, but subs have just that: subtitles. It's not wholly impossible to understand subs. These are like watching pure raw anime, and I doubt MOST fans (or at least, those groups Waldenbooks/BN are targeting) are into that.

That, and as animeheretic said most import stuff online is fairly cheap. No one's gonna pay 13-20 bucks a pop for stuff they can get cheaper online. So I think this trend will die fairly quickly.

As for myself, the ONLY manga I would even begin to consider getting raw would be FMS, KKJ, ION--etc. Tanemura stuff. And that's because I'm a hardcore Tanemura nut. But my pratical self doesn't see that happened any time soon; the closest I'll most likely get is a Ribon phonebook because it was free. ^^
Ashley

Postby Arnobius » Tue Mar 08, 2005 8:19 pm

[quote="Ashley"]I really wonder why any "mainstream" audience would even want to buy import from the bookstore. First off, how many of the fans that shop BN/Waldenbooks are that interested in imported stuff? We may like subs, but subs have just that: subtitles. It's not wholly impossible to understand subs. These are like watching pure raw anime, and I doubt MOST fans (or at least, those groups Waldenbooks/BN are targeting) are into that.

That, and as animeheretic said most import stuff online is fairly cheap. No one's gonna pay 13-20 bucks a pop for stuff they can get cheaper online. So I think this trend will die fairly quickly.

As for myself, the ONLY manga I would even begin to consider getting raw would be FMS, KKJ, ION--etc. Tanemura stuff. And that's because I'm a hardcore Tanemura nut. But my pratical self doesn't see that happened any time soon]
Well, I get titles that are either the originals of something I like (Akamatsu) or something that looks interesting to study.

I think there is one major advantage to shopping at BN/Waldens is that you don't have to work your way through Japanese websites when ordering on line (the assumption being that if you're going to buy JP material, you should be able to read the site) and is closer than Kinokuniya (West Coast and NYC I think) for browsing.

It's probably just a novelty experiment: Costs little and shows them just what kind of market there is.
Arnobius

Postby shooraijin » Wed Mar 09, 2005 5:32 am

At least there's no Region encoding on manga. ><
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby initialdfreak » Wed Mar 09, 2005 2:51 pm

Or a CMAA (Copyright-crazed Manga Artists Association)
initialdfreak

Postby Arnobius » Wed Mar 09, 2005 7:19 pm

Plus you get bennies in some manga (recenty got a mini-cd with the first draft of the first Love Hina story included in the book). Did you know they made a semi-colorized version of that? Black white and orangish pink...
Arnobius

Postby Debitt » Wed Mar 09, 2005 7:31 pm

:grin: Ah yes, the free treats they put into import manga. *can't wait for the special drama CD in Tactics 6*

Debitt

Postby Arnobius » Wed Mar 09, 2005 7:48 pm

Kokoro Daisuke wrote::grin: Ah yes, the free treats they put into import manga. *can't wait for the special drama CD in Tactics 6*

How much did they ding you for that extra? (LH Colorized with CD was $22)
Arnobius

Postby Debitt » Wed Mar 09, 2005 8:56 pm

:lol: $16.75 (If memory serves me right) for Tactics 6 + the CD. xD; And as a crazed fan, I'm definitely going to end up getting it.

Debitt

Postby Arnobius » Wed Mar 09, 2005 10:11 pm

[quote="Kokoro Daisuke"]:lol: $16.75 (If memory serves me right) for Tactics 6 + the CD. xD]
Of course! Is there any other way? ;) (As we spend an extra 10-15 for goods that are worth less than 5...)
Arnobius

Postby Ashley » Thu Mar 10, 2005 10:27 am

I bet you can find half that junk on Ebay. I've gotten so many tankoubons (freebies with japanese manga; sometimes you send in UPC codes and they mail it back) for dirt cheap it's not even funny.
Ashley

Postby Debitt » Thu Mar 10, 2005 11:31 am

[quote="Ashley"]I bet you can find half that junk on Ebay. I've gotten so many tankoubons (freebies with japanese manga]
:lol: I probably COULD get it off of eBay. :grin: But I'm going to be getting the manga, too, so I fugre why not get it in one fell swoop? >> I won't have to pay for shipping either. However, that Loki and Fenrir model they had in the back of MaLoki 3 is something I've been looking out for on eBay for a while. ( ..) Woe to the fangirl, for her pockets are emptied quickly.

Debitt

Postby Arnobius » Thu Mar 10, 2005 6:57 pm

Negima 9 came today. This volume looks more like a magical Love Hina than 5-8 did. Number of new characters introduced this time around...
Arnobius

Postby AngelSakura » Fri Mar 11, 2005 1:22 pm

I recognized some of them: Death Note, Spiral, Ichigo %100, School Rumble!, and that one incest shoujo manga. >_<;; Yeah, I recognized it from a scanlation site. School Rumble! is supposed to be like Azumanga Daioh with a plot, which sounds like an oxymoron to me.
Think happy thoughts.
AngelSakura

Postby Aka-chan » Fri Mar 11, 2005 6:37 pm

I usually just frequent the Japanese bookstores for that kind of stuff. Sometimes I can find good older stuff on the $1 shelf. The rest are $3-4 bucks, which makes me happy. ^__^
Aka-chan

Postby chibi_chan » Fri Mar 11, 2005 8:07 pm

I love that they did this, we have Death note 1 and 2 now. I can't wait to get 3 and 4 XD
happy go luck monkey!
ImageImage

akai tsuki wo nagameteta kara nakitai hodo boku no fuan wa
itsumo kioku no katasumi ni kasabuta mitai ni nokoru yo
itai kurai kirei datta kedo hikari no naka no boku no kage wo
ano takai kanransha de dareka ga waratta ki ga shita

hitsuji no kigurumi wo kita mama yaseta otoko no ko ga odokete
haku iki wo shiroku sasete inoru youni te wo awaseta
ano ko to sora no aida ni wa toumei na nanika ga aru kara
kitto negai wa todokanai sukoshi samuku naru yuuenchi

nanimokamo uso ni naru daremo inaku naru

boku no naka no boku wo itsuka katai GARASU bin ni tsumete
hi no ataru niwa no kadan ni koneko to issho ni umeyou
mizutamari ni utsuru kao wa tsumetai ame de gushagusha ni
chigireteitta ato ni tada no iro ni kawaridashita yo

maboroshi no BERU ga nari keshiki ga kasumi daseba

chigireteitta ato ni tada no iro ni kawaridasu yo

yasashiku gin'iro no ame ga machi no subete ni furisosogu
michi no haji de sagashiteita boku wo yatto mitsuketa
isu no ue ni hana no ue ni ashi ga nai roba no senaka ni
komakai ame ga furisosogu boku no ue ni mo _____.
song: Hontou no Uso by PLastic Tree lyrics:anime lyrics
chibi_chan

Postby AngelSakura » Fri Mar 11, 2005 8:09 pm

Do you read and speak Japanese? I wanted to get Death Note but my mom said no~
Think happy thoughts.
AngelSakura

Postby chibi_chan » Fri Mar 11, 2005 8:14 pm

Do you read and speak Japanese? I wanted to get Death Note but my mom said no~

Me? No, I don't but it's Death Note so I got it =3 I would definatly recomend it it's got nothing objectionelle, from what I remember. Why'd your mom say no? (sorry if thats to personel)
happy go luck monkey!
ImageImage

chibi_chan

Postby AngelSakura » Fri Mar 11, 2005 8:16 pm

Probably the look of it, the title, that kind of thing... she doesn't like anything she thinks is "evil".
Think happy thoughts.
AngelSakura

Postby enishi » Fri Mar 11, 2005 8:22 pm

Kokoro Daisuke wrote:Well, I was at Borders today browsing the manga, and lo and behold, they are now carrying imported manga. I was fairly impressed with their selection, seeing as they just started stocking it. They had Death Note, Spiral, and some other stuff that's published by Jump Comics, Flower Comics, and GanGan Comics.

The downside? $12.99 a pop. =/ With a price like that, I don't think it's gonna take off too well, unfortunately. Most hardcore fans who buy import manga (or at least the ones I know, including myself) either get their goods off the internet or from Japanese bookstores, where prices are up to 5 dollars cheaper.

ok .. are we talking like comic book form manga, or like the graphic novel paperbacks? if thats 12.99 for the gns, thats a stellar deal. if thats for like a crappy chapter or whatever, thats an awful price. reguardless, borders gets a handshake and thumbs up for being crafty enough to carry imported loot.
ImageImage
Which character are you test by Naruto - Kun.com
enishi

Postby Arnobius » Fri Mar 11, 2005 8:25 pm

AngelSakura wrote:Probably the look of it, the title, that kind of thing... she doesn't like anything she thinks is "evil".

I remember having to deal with that when I was a kid. My mom presumed that any song using the word "hell" or "devil" MUST be satanic because EVERYONE knew that Heavy Metal was about devil worship...

I didn't know Death Note was Azu Dai in style. I'll have to lok for it...
Arnobius

Postby chibi_chan » Fri Mar 11, 2005 8:27 pm

Probably the look of it, the title, that kind of thing... she doesn't like anything she thinks is "evil".

You must talk her into it! It's more mature in the aspect that there is a lot of talking and some blood (my memorys bad but thats about what I remember) But your mom knows whats best so I can't really speak for her.^^;;;
happy go luck monkey!
ImageImage

chibi_chan

Postby MasterDias » Fri Mar 11, 2005 8:49 pm

I haven't been to Borders but I remember seeing a few manga imports at Half-Price books the last time I went.

Zombie Powder, Love Hina, some Magajin samurai title that I didn't recognize...
Mainly shonen titles. I think they had one or two Ribon Comics shoujo titles...

I didn't know Death Note was Azu Dai in style. I'll have to lok for it...

School Rumble!, not Death Note...
-----------------------------------------
"Always seek to do good to one another and to all."
1 Thessalonians 5:15

"Every story must have an ending." - Auron - Final Fantasy X

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby Debitt » Fri Mar 11, 2005 10:08 pm

enishi wrote:ok .. are we talking like comic book form manga, or like the graphic novel paperbacks? if thats 12.99 for the gns, thats a stellar deal. if thats for like a crappy chapter or whatever, thats an awful price. reguardless, borders gets a handshake and thumbs up for being crafty enough to carry imported loot.

I do commend them for trying to get into the import manga (yes, these were the GNs they had). Their effort is good, their pricing isn't. =/ It's pretty cool for people who don't have access to a Japanese bookstore, but aside from that I'd definitely go for the Japanese bookstore. They have better selections and cheaper prices, especially for the older volumes of a graphic novel. Example? My last purchase at Kinokuniya Bookstore (the Japanese bookstore near me) were Tactics 3, Tactics 4, and Matantei Loki Ragnarok 5. Grand total? Something in the neighborhood of $25. If I were to buy the same books at that price from Borders (assuming, that is, they even carry books published by Comic Blade, which they do not at this point) it would come to something around $38. =/ Do some creative investigating. Try to find a Japanese bookstore or something on ebay. Chances are, it'll be MUCH cheaper.

Debitt

Postby Aka-chan » Fri Mar 11, 2005 10:12 pm

Waaaay cheaper. *nodnod*

For anyone who cares, Death Note has the same artist as Hikaru no Go. Great artwork, though I still have to hunt down the graphic novels (been a while since I raided my local Japanese bookstores). The only other possibly objectionable content I can think of is Raito looking at swimsuit magazines. Fanservicey bikini stuff, but it's brief and nothing's really shown.
Aka-chan

Postby Tycho » Sat Mar 19, 2005 8:23 am

Aka-chan wrote:Waaaay cheaper. *nodnod*

For anyone who cares, Death Note has the same artist as Hikaru no Go. Great artwork, though I still have to hunt down the graphic novels (been a while since I raided my local Japanese bookstores). The only other possibly objectionable content I can think of is Raito looking at swimsuit magazines. Fanservicey bikini stuff, but it's brief and nothing's really shown.

That and the wanton amount of killing dealt out by the main character. Death Note is about a kid who finds a notebook of a death god (shinegami). If he writes a name in the notebook, that person dies. Now from what I've read, he tries to only use the notebook to kill people who deserve it (murderers and the like). I stopped reading only cause I wasn't to my liking. School Rumble is soooo much better and less morally-wierd.
"There are obviously many things which we do not understand, and may never be able to."
[Leela, Ship Operations AI, UESC Marathon]

"Its time to metaphorically make a deal with the devil. And when I say devil, I mean Robot Devil. And when I say metaphorically, I mean "Get your coat""

[Bender, Futurama]
Tycho

Postby Hoshika » Mon May 16, 2005 7:43 pm

:eyebrow: Where do you guys live the reason why Borders would bother stocking Japanese books/manga?

In my experience stores only carry things like that because they have a customer base for it. I suppose it would be safe to say you guys have a pretty high population of Japanese people living amoungst you.... *dies* (It's not fair! I need to move to where you people are! :waah!: )
Hoshika

Postby Mangafanatic » Mon May 16, 2005 9:00 pm

Hoshika wrote::eyebrow: Where do you guys live the reason why Borders would bother stocking Japanese books/manga?

In my experience stores only carry things like that because they have a customer base for it. I suppose it would be safe to say you guys have a pretty high population of Japanese people living amoungst you.... *dies* (It's not fair! I need to move to where you people are! :waah!: )

Have you checked your new age section yet? :lol: No, seriously, it might be hiding somewhere in your Borders. Ask the clerk next time you're in there.
Every year in Uganda, innumerable children simply. . . disappear. These children all stolen under the cover of darkness from their homes and impressed into the guerilla armies of the LRA [Lord's Resistance Army]. In the deserts of Uganda, they are forced to witness the mindless slaughter of other children until they themselves can do nothing but kill. Kill. These children, generally ranging from ages 5-12, are brainwashed into murdering in the name of the resistance and into stealing other children from their beds to suffer the same fate.

Because of this genocide of innocence, hundred and hundreds of children live every night sleeping in public places miles from their homes, because they know that if the do not-- they will disappear. They will become just another number in this genocide to which the international community has chosen to turn a blind eye. They will become, in affect, invisible-- Invisible Children.

But there are those who are trying to fight against this slaughter of Uganda's children. They fight to protect these "invisible children." Please, help them help a country full of children who know nothing by fear. Help save the innocence. For more information concerning how you can help and how you can get an incredible video about this horrific reality, visit the Invisible Children home page.
Mangafanatic

Postby Arnobius » Mon May 16, 2005 9:16 pm

Where I live Waldenbooks sells them in the manga section on a seperate shelf. Cheaper to order via Kinokuniya I think...
Arnobius

Next

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews