Manga incident

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

Postby CobaltAngel » Sat Mar 05, 2005 7:55 am

Shao Feng-Li wrote:Why does it matter?
That's what I'm thinking lol.

And you've gotta put it into prespective. There are probably lots of things you say stuff like that about and don't even give it thought, They probably didn't know/ think about the fact that the Japanese right to left, which I didn't either until I started reading manga.
[align=right][align=center]
Invisible Children || Justice For Children

[/align]

[/align]
CobaltAngel

Postby Steeltemplar » Thu Mar 10, 2005 4:29 pm

<Largo> Th3y 4r3 n0t 1337. Th3y ph34r \/\/h47 th3y d0 n0t und3rst4nd. </Largo>

Um....yeah, people can be silly about anime and manga. Too bad for them. And, yes, I too have run into the "all manga is hentai" thing to a small extent. Actually, when I bring my Ah My Goddess! manga to work, my friend Chan always messes with me by telling everyone I'm reading hentai. lol. Of course, he's into manga himself. In fact, I think he's borrowing most of my Hellsing collection right now....
Headbangers United

"There is no surer sign of decay in a country than to see the rites of religion held in contempt." - Niccolo Machiavelli

"But even as Josue and Caleb declared that the Land of Promise was good and fair, and that the possession of it would be easy and pleasant; so the Holy Spirit, speaking by all the Saints, and our Blessed Lord Himself assure us that a devout life is a lovely, a pleasant, and a happy life." - from An Introduction to the Devout Life, by St. Francis de Sales

Loyal subject of Sakura-hime, the RP Princess.
CR-chan's faithful PNC.
FF-chan's NiichanB.
Steeltemplar

Postby AngelSakura » Thu Mar 10, 2005 4:34 pm

The other day...

Lady: (other side of the shelf) Manga, huh? Must be big, they've got two shelves...
Angel: *freezes, prepares to zip over and explain*
Man: (with Lady) First it was Cabbage Patch Kids, now it's this...
(They walk off. Angel is left staring after them, speechless.)
Think happy thoughts.
AngelSakura

Postby Steeltemplar » Thu Mar 10, 2005 4:49 pm

AngelSakura wrote:The other day...

Lady: (other side of the shelf) Manga, huh? Must be big, they've got two shelves...
Angel: *freezes, prepares to zip over and explain*
Man: (with Lady) First it was Cabbage Patch Kids, now it's this...
(They walk off. Angel is left staring after them, speechless.)

Sigh.
Headbangers United

"There is no surer sign of decay in a country than to see the rites of religion held in contempt." - Niccolo Machiavelli

"But even as Josue and Caleb declared that the Land of Promise was good and fair, and that the possession of it would be easy and pleasant; so the Holy Spirit, speaking by all the Saints, and our Blessed Lord Himself assure us that a devout life is a lovely, a pleasant, and a happy life." - from An Introduction to the Devout Life, by St. Francis de Sales

Loyal subject of Sakura-hime, the RP Princess.
CR-chan's faithful PNC.
FF-chan's NiichanB.
Steeltemplar

Postby desperado » Thu Mar 10, 2005 4:49 pm

never been mutch into manga but i do have a thing for flcl and .//hack so i picked up the flcl manga at a bookstore and began reading it. my freinds didnt mind to much (was our youthgroup 3 were milling around boredely two of the guys were arguing over batman superman comics or something or rather) and on of the girls was going nuts of fushi yugi (like 15 girls at my school are reading it.) so i didnt feel to out of place that time. buuuuttt once i was reading a .//hack at waldenbooks and i got a couple of strang looks (guy in a bikeresque leather jacket and longish black hair in the manga section. eh people are judgemental) then a lady came over and started looking through them trying to find some manga. would have helped her but a attendent guy came up and started helping her (plus it was some manga i have never heard of. she was looking for a present for a neice or something) she looked like a mole digging a blind path ~.0 anyways people are judgemental. i have gotten that a couple times about anime and i got flack from my freinds about going to a anime con till i showed them pictures (they went nuts over a couple of the cosplayers ~_~; )
desperado

Postby Roy Mustang » Thu Mar 10, 2005 4:50 pm

Since my dad use to show me how to read right to left. I mostly read all my books that way.

Anytime someone would ask me why I would read a book backwards. I just tell them this.

Because I like to start at the end, so that when I get to start then I know where it is going from the beginning.

After I tell them that.

This is what happens.

Them: Blinks, blinks and then walks away with a lost look on their face.

Wingzero22
Roy Mustang

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Fri Mar 11, 2005 1:33 pm

Wow, I must be fortunate. "Wow you read those books backwards? Cool!- But why?"
Then I explain that Japanese is written in columns left to right. That pretty much takes care of it. Oh, then I let them read it. Never once was I asked, "Isn't it full of sex?" But I'd say, "Sure some is perverted and some is fine, just like American serieses."
Shao Feng-Li

Postby Indigo_Eyes » Fri Mar 11, 2005 4:48 pm

desperado wrote:once i was reading a .//hack at waldenbooks and i got a couple of strang looks (guy in a bikeresque leather jacket and longish black hair in the manga section. eh people are judgemental) then a lady came over and started looking through them trying to find some manga. would have helped her but a attendent guy came up and started helping her (plus it was some manga i have never heard of. she was looking for a present for a neice or something) she looked like a mole digging a blind path

Lol. That part about the lady looking for stuff for her niece is similar to something that happened to me. Someone just like that was looking in the manga section for a lot of different mangas for her niece for Christmas presents. I was in the manga section at the same time she was, and because she looked a little lost I asked if I could help her find some of the mangas for her. After I helped her find Fruits Backet vol. 1 and some other stuff, a real salesclerk asked her if she needed help, and the lady finally realized that I didn't work at the store :lol: It was great. I didn't even realize before then that she thought I worked there. I had to leave right after that though because of time restraints.
Indigo_Eyes

Postby Arnobius » Fri Mar 11, 2005 5:38 pm

Shao Feng-Li wrote:Wow, I must be fortunate. "Wow you read those books backwards? Cool!- But why?"
Then I explain that Japanese is written in columns left to right. That pretty much takes care of it. Oh, then I let them read it. Never once was I asked, "Isn't it full of sex?" But I'd say, "Sure some is perverted and some is fine, just like American serieses."

When written horizontally, it reads left to right. When written vertically, it reads top to bottom and right to left
Arnobius

Postby Joshua Christopher » Fri Mar 11, 2005 5:46 pm

It's more fun to mess with people's heads.

"Hey, why are you reading it backwards?!"

Then I just say "wheeeee!" and run away laughing. Backwards.

Speaking in some incomprehensible pig-Latin helps, too.

"Yaktoo spackle arba!"
Joshua Christopher

Previous

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews