What are you reading?

A place to discuss your favorite authors and poets, Christian and secular

Postby Maledicte » Thu Feb 10, 2005 12:41 pm

"Conqueror's Moon" by Julian May. I can't believe I have never heard of this guy before. His characters and social settings are very complex...I'm not even done wtih the book and already I am waiting for the next installment. I need to find his other books as well...
Maledicte

Postby JoyfulSongs » Thu Feb 10, 2005 2:37 pm

A History of Music and Musical Style.

*blinks bleary eyes*
JoyfulSongs

Postby Technomancer » Sat Feb 12, 2005 11:25 am

'Up From Dragons: The Evolution of Human Intelligence' by Dorion Sagan and John R. Skoyles.

"Bringing together a vast array of until now unconnected facts from the fields of neuroscience, neural networks, cognitive science, child psychology, anthropology, Paleolithic history, and more, the authors reconstruct the 100,000 year evolutionary odyssey of the human mind."

Should be fascinating read.
The scientific method," Thomas Henry Huxley once wrote, "is nothing but the normal working of the human mind." That is to say, when the mind is working; that is to say further, when it is engaged in corrrecting its mistakes. Taking this point of view, we may conclude that science is not physics, biology, or chemistry—is not even a "subject"—but a moral imperative drawn from a larger narrative whose purpose is to give perspective, balance, and humility to learning.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby Kaori » Sat Feb 12, 2005 11:47 pm

Nevertheless: A Meditation on the Varieties and Shortcomings of Religious Pacifism, by John H. Yoder. Concise and aptly titled.

Biblical Pacifism: A Peace Church Perspective, by Dale W. Brown. Despite the dated nature of some of its content, I found the book fairly informative and sometimes insightful. The appendices and notes were of particular use.

Theology of Peace, by Paul Tillich. I can make no comments at this point about the work, since I have only begun reading it.
Let others believe in the God who brings men to trial and judges them. I shall cling to the God who resurrects the dead.
-St. Nikolai Velimirovich

MAL
Kaori

Postby uc pseudonym » Wed Feb 16, 2005 1:30 pm

Dave Barry in Cyberspace (author self evident)

I was interested in some very light reading.
uc pseudonym

Postby Hephzibah » Wed Feb 16, 2005 1:53 pm

I'm reading 'Warlords of Nin' by Stephen Lawhead. He's a good christian fantasy author :grin:
Hephzibah

Postby VioletEyedCat » Wed Feb 16, 2005 7:50 pm

Angels and Demons by Dan Brown. You know, The DaVinci Code guy?

:P Smiling's not my Thing :P
VioletEyedCat

Postby Kaori » Wed Feb 16, 2005 11:31 pm

"The Rape of the Lock," by Alexander Pope. Satire is not my favorite genre, but I do appreciate the sheer beauty and elegance of Pope's writing.
Let others believe in the God who brings men to trial and judges them. I shall cling to the God who resurrects the dead.

MAL
Kaori

Postby btboy500 » Fri Feb 18, 2005 5:50 pm

I've just started reading "Total Truth: Liberating Christianity from Its Cultural Captivity" by Nancy Pearcy, and "In Defense of Miracles: A Comprehensive Case for God's Action in History" edited by R. Douglas Gievett and Gary R. Habermas.
btboy500

Postby Lady Arianrod » Fri Feb 18, 2005 8:53 pm

I'm currently reading The Phantom of the Opera and parts of Machiavelli's The Prince.
~Life is the art of drawing without an eraser~

Lady Arianrod, lover of nature and fire.

Hello there! I'm back after a long break! I started watching anime again in 2016. I still check the forum too!

"But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us." Romans 5:8

"I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world." John 16:33
Lady Arianrod

Postby mitsuki lover » Sun Feb 20, 2005 2:00 pm

I just read Common Sense,The Crisis and parts of The Rights of Man by Paine.
mitsuki lover

Postby uc pseudonym » Sun Feb 20, 2005 5:11 pm

Stranger in a Strange Land (uncut version) by Robert Heinlein

I'm about half way through, and I'm not sure if I really have any comments. Most people in the book annoy me, but Jubal's personality is quirky enough to be worth something and I have liked the parts that dealt with Martian psychology.
uc pseudonym

Postby GhostontheNet » Sun Feb 20, 2005 6:22 pm

btboy500 wrote:I've just started reading "Total Truth: Liberating Christianity from Its Cultural Captivity" by Nancy Pearcy, and "In Defense of Miracles: A Comprehensive Case for God's Action in History" edited by R. Douglas Gievett and Gary R. Habermas.
Interesting, by the way, have I seen you on Theology Web?
GhostontheNet

Postby Kaori » Mon Feb 21, 2005 12:38 am

I just finished No Longer at Ease, by Chinua Achebe, and I am halfway through Realms of Gold: The Classics in Christian Perspective, by Dr. Leland Ryken. The former was an assignment; the latter, a gift from a professor.

MAL
Kaori

Postby Gypsy » Fri Feb 25, 2005 11:02 am

Jane Austen's Persuasion.
||Skipping Tomorrows Webmanga||
"A ship in harbor is safe but that is not what ships are built for." - John A. Shedd
Gypsy

Postby the_lizardqueen » Fri Feb 25, 2005 11:15 am

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams, and I'm loving it so far. Any book that has crazed british fellows chasing a chesterfield sofa across a field on prehistoric era earth is definitely going on my faves list.
[color="lightgreen"]"There is an art, or rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."

-The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy[/color]
the_lizardqueen

Postby VioletEyedCat » Sat Feb 26, 2005 9:52 am

I'm just finishing up Hadassah: One Night with the King by Tommy Tenney, author of the God-Chasers series. It's a really cool historical fictionish book about Esther.

VioletEyedCat

Postby GhostontheNet » Sun Feb 27, 2005 8:39 pm

In Search of Paul: How Jesus's Apostle Opposed Rome's Empire with God's Kingdom by John Dominic Crossan and Jonathan L. Reed. So far a fairly good book, though certain bad habits of Crossan are annoying me (one sentence, argumentless dismissals of things the Bible states for example, making it as it stands that he is simply waving away what he doesn't like).
GhostontheNet

Postby Indigo_Eyes » Tue Mar 01, 2005 2:07 pm

River's Edge by Terri Blackstock
" 'Tis strange-but true; for truth is always strange, stranger than fiction." ~Lord Byron

"When you see a fork in the road, take it." ~Yogi Berra
Indigo_Eyes

Postby Namelessknight » Wed Mar 02, 2005 2:14 pm

Just finished "Eyes of Silver" by Michael Stackpole. I really love his fantasy stuff. Even tho this was one of my lesser favorites of his, I still thot it was interesting. Thank goodness the sfbc is starting to carry his new stuff. I hate buying paperback and some of his stuff is ONLY in paperback. sigh....
His Strength was as the Strength of Ten, for His Heart was Pure

My blog=[url=elfenknight.blogspot.com]Knightly Ruminations[/url]
Namelessknight

Postby Scribs » Thu Mar 03, 2005 3:59 pm

Audition by some famous broadway guy
"I concluded from the begining that this would be the end; and I am right, for it is not half over."
-Sir Boyle Roche
Scribs

Postby mitsuki lover » Sat Mar 05, 2005 2:33 pm

I'm currently reading:The Remarkable Saga Of Ole And Lena:Scandinavian
Humor At It's Finest Writ by Richard Thorud with pictures by him too
Ok,anyone from Minnesota and especially anyone who's a Minnesotan
Svede or Norvegian will probably appreciate this book. :grin:
Ok,even the Danes in the audience will like it! :lol: Even some you aren't even Skandinuvian might like it...although it does help if you come from
Minnesoty..some injokes that some people might not get like the one about
the Mesabi Range.
mitsuki lover

Postby Aka-chan » Sat Mar 05, 2005 11:21 pm

I read all of Many Waters by Madeline L'Engle today. ^__^ Fascinating read.
Aka-chan

Postby uc pseudonym » Sun Mar 06, 2005 5:24 pm

Aka-chan wrote:I read all of Many Waters by Madeline L'Engle today. ^__^ Fascinating read.

It has been quite some time since I read that book, but I believe it was probably my favorite of those written by Madeline L'Engle. That doesn't mean a great deal in my case, but I did find some elements interesting.
uc pseudonym

Postby VioletEyedCat » Mon Mar 07, 2005 9:05 pm

uc pseudonym wrote:
Aka-chan wrote:I read all of Many Waters by Madeline L'Engle today. ^__^ Fascinating read.

It has been quite some time since I read that book, but I believe it was probably my favorite of those written by Madeline L'Engle. That doesn't mean a great deal in my case, but I did find some elements interesting.

Madeline L'Engle is certainly a wonderful author- I enjoyed her books immensely. Her work did, at least to me, drop off quite a bit as she continued writing. An Acceptable Time and A House Like a Lotus are on my short list of 'very icky' books.

Anyway- I'm just starting The DaVinci Code by Dan Brown. My friend says that it's a little more far-fetched than Angels and Demons, and that he preferred that one better. I probably will agree with him.

VioletEyedCat

Postby Yeshua-Knight » Mon Mar 07, 2005 9:24 pm

Talame wrote:I'm reading 'Warlords of Nin' by Stephen Lawhead. He's a good christian fantasy author :grin:

i just finished book 1 in a series called The Binding of the Blade with the second one coming out in may, the first book is called beyond the summerland and when i finished it, i really, really wanted to get the sequel as soon as i can, the closest thing i can compare it too is lord of the rings, i can't really get into any details without giving the plot away, but i warn you, do not go to the forum on the site unless you either have read the book already, or you don't care about spoilers 'cus whether or not they are mentioned, there are spoilers that saturate the forum, definitely not for those new to the series

'nuff said
'nuff said
Yeshua-Knight

Postby Technomancer » Thu Mar 10, 2005 10:21 am

At the moment:

'From Sound to Synapse: Physiology of the Mammalian Ear' by C. Geisler.

I've also started on Elizabeth Redfern's novel 'Auriel Rising'.

In addition, I've been reading many badly written undergraduate project reports that I have to mark. Seriously, I don't know what's wrong with these people; some of these reports shouldn't be acceptable at a high school level much less in a university class.
The scientific method," Thomas Henry Huxley once wrote, "is nothing but the normal working of the human mind." That is to say, when the mind is working; that is to say further, when it is engaged in corrrecting its mistakes. Taking this point of view, we may conclude that science is not physics, biology, or chemistry—is not even a "subject"—but a moral imperative drawn from a larger narrative whose purpose is to give perspective, balance, and humility to learning.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby agasfas » Fri Mar 11, 2005 11:02 pm

Most recent book I finished was "All Quite on the Western Front."
It was actually a pretty good war-time book.
"A merry heart doeth good like a medicine.." Prov 17:22

The word 'impossible' isn't in my dictionary... but I don't really have a dictionary you know? - Eikichi Onizuka.
Sorry, but I stop being a teacher at 5 o'clock. - Eikichi Onizuka.
agasfas

Postby Kaori » Mon Mar 14, 2005 9:45 pm

Great Expectations. This is the first Dickens novel I have read in a few years, and while do appreciate his considerable ability as a writer and enjoyed the writing to some extent, I failed to become truly enthusiastic about the book.

In the Land of Time and Other Fantasy Tales
, by Lord Dunsany. While the stories contain a high degree of biblical allusions, which is interesting, they have something of a pagan outlook. At any rate, Dunsany's writing is sometimes considered classic for the fantasy genre, and his style is quite beautiful.

I have not read it recently, but All Quiet on the Western Front is one of my favorites of the war novels I have read.

MAL
Kaori

Postby uc pseudonym » Tue Mar 15, 2005 5:25 am

The Wasteland and Other Poems (by TS Eliot)
Death of a Salesman (by Arthur Miller)

I am not at all enthusiastic about poetry, though Eliot isn't as bad as some. Unfortunately, the class for which I must read this collection also requires that I read numerous commentaries upon his work, and frankly I'm tired of hearing how "his poetry is a gateway into his soul which the reader is drawn into and it is impossible to escape from without being forever changed."

The latter I have more hope for, but I will reserve judgement until I begin reading it in earnest.
uc pseudonym

Previous Next

Return to Book Corner