What are you reading?

A place to discuss your favorite authors and poets, Christian and secular

Postby _Sin_ » Sat Jan 22, 2005 10:04 am

Technomancer wrote:[...]
Hogfather
[...]

So that's the one I took for the Snow Father then I guess (Mistranslation by me obviously ]I read them when I can; they're often humorous and occasionally make decent points. Of those I have read, I by far enjoyed Thief of Time the most, probably because of the general style and orientation.[/QUOTE]

So what is Thief of Time about? I only picked books I knew some main characters from (Rincewind, Death and Mort). Any major characters that appear in other books as well?

"Ignorance and naivety are a pretty bad combination, so beware!" ~ Some wise person :D (a.k.a. me)
Old sig
_Sin_

Postby Jasdero » Sat Jan 22, 2005 10:09 am

Heart of Myrial by Maggie Furey
× s h i n i e s , y e s ? ×

does it not burn... LIKE THE SUN?!
Jasdero

Postby uc pseudonym » Sat Jan 22, 2005 10:21 am

_Sin_ wrote:So what is Thief of Time about? I only picked books I knew some main characters from (Rincewind, Death and Mort). Any major characters that appear in other books as well?

It has been years, and I don't want to give away the plot... I'll say this much: it involves monks capable of bending time to fight, a character that is Time itself and a wierd old man who may or may not be the most powerful warrior of all time. Also, it involves the Auditors, who are (in my mind) the best Discworld villains.

Death, of course, appears, as well as the other horsemen of the apocalypse. Death's granddaughter appears, but I'm not sure if there are any other recurring characters.
uc pseudonym

Postby _Sin_ » Sat Jan 22, 2005 10:39 am

uc pseudonym wrote:It has been years, and I don't want to give away the plot... I'll say this much: it involves monks capable of bending time to fight, a character that is Time itself and a wierd old man who may or may not be the most powerful warrior of all time. Also, it involves the Auditors, who are (in my mind) the best Discworld villains.

Death, of course, appears, as well as the other horsemen of the apocalypse. Death's granddaughter appears, but I'm not sure if there are any other recurring characters.

Sounds good. I guess I'll keep my eyes open for that book the next time I go to our local book store and take a glance at it.
The horsemen of apocalypse, are they funny? I can't imagine them being serious and all :sweat:

"Ignorance and naivety are a pretty bad combination, so beware!" ~ Some wise person :D (a.k.a. me)
Old sig
_Sin_

Postby uc pseudonym » Sat Jan 22, 2005 10:47 am

I am reading, off and on, Goethe's "Faust" which is a fairly old play about a man tempted by the devil. Most of the time I can't bring myself to read such wordy extrapolation, however. Still, I may eventually finish it, as I am curious as to the ending (which I have received opposite reports about).

_Sin_ wrote:The horsemen of apocalypse, are they funny? I can't imagine them being serious and all :sweat:

It varies. Some of them have humorous situations surrounding them, some are more like Death. The fifth horseman, Chaos, is an interesting character.
uc pseudonym

Postby _Sin_ » Sat Jan 22, 2005 11:43 am

uc pseudonym wrote:I am reading, off and on, Goethe's "Faust" which is a fairly old play about a man tempted by the devil. Most of the time I can't bring myself to read such wordy extrapolation, however.

Yes, that's a good one. We had to read Faust I in class in it was one of the few pieces of literature I actually liked. Oh, and did you notice that Mephistopheles (the devil) is actually part of him? I mean their dialogues are really no such but more like monologues between Faust's good and bad side.

uc pseudonym wrote:Still, I may eventually finish it, as I am curious as to the ending (which I have received opposite reports about).

That could be due to the fact that there is not just one Faust but two (Faust I and II). If I remember correctly, the first one has a pretty pro-Christian message:

[Spoiler]
The soul of the girl he loves gets saved in the end because she (AFAIK the name was Gretchen) wants to atone for her sins. She does die but her soul does not go into Mephistopheles' possession.
[/Spoiler]

Old sig
_Sin_

Postby PrincessZelda » Sat Jan 22, 2005 5:31 pm

I am reading The Silmarillion, by J.R.R. Tolkien.
"If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats."

PrincessZelda

Postby Kokhiri Sojourn » Sat Jan 22, 2005 10:34 pm

The Weight of Glory - C.S. Lewis

I'm finally finishing up Jane Eyre - Charlotte Bronte, and after that, it's on to Dickens' Hard Times. Victorian Literature is going to kick my butt this semester...

:?:
Kokhiri Sojourn

Postby Technomancer » Fri Jan 28, 2005 3:32 pm

China Meiville "Iron Council", or at least that's what I'm reading for fun these days.
The scientific method," Thomas Henry Huxley once wrote, "is nothing but the normal working of the human mind." That is to say, when the mind is working; that is to say further, when it is engaged in corrrecting its mistakes. Taking this point of view, we may conclude that science is not physics, biology, or chemistry—is not even a "subject"—but a moral imperative drawn from a larger narrative whose purpose is to give perspective, balance, and humility to learning.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby Hephzibah » Fri Jan 28, 2005 5:45 pm

I'm reading all the uni pamphlets I was given on the information day O_O
Hephzibah

Postby Kaori » Fri Jan 28, 2005 5:50 pm

The Fantasies of Robert Heinlein. Some of the stories in the book are better than others, which is often the case with this type of collection.
Let others believe in the God who brings men to trial and judges them. I shall cling to the God who resurrects the dead.
-St. Nikolai Velimirovich

MAL
Kaori

Postby Namelessknight » Sat Jan 29, 2005 11:13 am

Been reading stuff by Patricia McKillip lately. Fantasy, but almost like reading poetry in prose form. wonderful stuff
His Strength was as the Strength of Ten, for His Heart was Pure

My blog=[url=elfenknight.blogspot.com]Knightly Ruminations[/url]
Namelessknight

Postby mastersquirrel » Fri Feb 04, 2005 6:07 am

The second book in Ted Dekker's Circle Trilogy. Red. I LOVE his books!
mastersquirrel

Postby The Last Bard » Fri Feb 04, 2005 7:08 am

I'm reading book two of the Pendragon cycle 'Merlin'
It's and awesome book written by Stephen R. Lawhead, and I
would highly recomend it to any fan of fantasy or Arthurian
legends. :thumb:
The Last Bard

Postby Kaori » Fri Feb 04, 2005 12:20 pm

I am now reading Paradise Lost for my literature class, but only certain excerpts have been assigned. This leaves me trying, somewhat frantically, to read straight through the entire work even though it is not required.
Let others believe in the God who brings men to trial and judges them. I shall cling to the God who resurrects the dead.

MAL
Kaori

Postby Lady Arianrod » Fri Feb 04, 2005 7:30 pm

I have to read a few sections of Plato's Republic. Far too much circuitous dialogue.
~Life is the art of drawing without an eraser~

Lady Arianrod, lover of nature and fire.

Hello there! I'm back after a long break! I started watching anime again in 2016. I still check the forum too!

"But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us." Romans 5:8

"I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world." John 16:33
Lady Arianrod

Postby CloudStrife918 » Fri Feb 04, 2005 7:36 pm

I have just started "Eragon" by Christopher Paolini. It's pretty exciting so far, and it really keeps you entertained, I just finished Michael Chricton's "Andromeda Strain" and Christopher L. Bennett's "ex Machina." (VERY ENTERTAINING for all you science fiction lovers!) I have also begun work on writing a fantasy novel myself, which i hope to publish someday-- its pretty good so far if i do say so myself!
"Ask, and it shall be given to you; seek, and you shall find; knock, and it shall be opened to you. For everyone who asks recieves, and he who seeks finds, and to him who knocks, it shall be opened." -Jesus
Matthew 7:7-8
CloudStrife918

Postby Namelessknight » Sat Feb 05, 2005 8:49 am

CloudStrife918 wrote:... I just finished Michael Chricton's "Andromeda Strain"... (VERY ENTERTAINING for all you science fiction lovers!)

Please tell me you are kidding. "AS" was the most boring book I have ever read. :) seriously.

Right now I am on a Patricia McKillip kick. Just finished up "Alphabet of Thorn". Wow, I just love her stuff. It is practically poetry in prose form. Her style is so slow and twisting, it is like being caressed by silk. Love it....
His Strength was as the Strength of Ten, for His Heart was Pure

My blog=[url=elfenknight.blogspot.com]Knightly Ruminations[/url]
Namelessknight

Postby mitsuki lover » Sat Feb 05, 2005 12:10 pm

I'm reading a book on the First Ladies.Unfortunately it was printed in
1993 so stops just as the Clintons were entereting the White House.
mitsuki lover

Postby uc pseudonym » Sat Feb 05, 2005 2:34 pm

Namelessknight wrote:Please tell me you are kidding. "AS" was the most boring book I have ever read. :) seriously.

I presume that comment referred to the last listed book: "ex Machina."

Myself, I will soon be reading Macbeth for a class (I do not read old plays unless I have a good reason). To answer _sin_'s question from some time ago: if you mean that Mephistopheles' and Faust's lines together sound like a typical monologue at a moment of choice, yes.
uc pseudonym

Postby kirakira » Sat Feb 05, 2005 3:12 pm

I'm in The Count of Monte Cristo at the moment. ^_^ And A Winter's Tale (Shakespeare) for school. And I'm almost done with Beyond the Summerland, by L.B. Gram, but I hate the main character so much that I'm having trouble getting through it. *sweatdrop*
Love wins.
kirakira

Postby glitch1501 » Sat Feb 05, 2005 8:39 pm

im reading silenced by jerry b jenkins, and perelandra(still reading) by cs lewis, i have 3 other books that i hope to read soon

Glitch's Photostream

He wants them to learn to walk and must therefore take away His hand; and if only the will to walk is really there, He is pleased even with their stumbles.

Healing hands of God have mercy on our unclean souls
once again. Jesus Christ, Light of the World, burning
bright within our hearts forever. Freedom means love
without condition, without beginning or an end. Here's
my heart, let it be forever Yours, only You can make
every new day seem so new.
Every New Day - On Distant Shores - Five Iron Frenzy

Nail pierced hands they run with blood
A splitting brow forced by the thorns
His face is writhing with the pain yet it's comforting to me
Passion - Kutless
:thumb:
glitch1501

Postby CloudStrife918 » Sun Feb 06, 2005 1:07 pm

Thank you Mr. UC Pseudonym. "AS" was a fairly interesting book, but it was overlong and littered with scientific stuff that i didn't quite fully understand. "ex Machina," however, was a book that I shall not soon forget!
"Ask, and it shall be given to you; seek, and you shall find; knock, and it shall be opened to you. For everyone who asks recieves, and he who seeks finds, and to him who knocks, it shall be opened." -Jesus
Matthew 7:7-8
CloudStrife918

Postby haru_bay_nay » Sun Feb 06, 2005 1:52 pm

I'm reading The Ancient One by T.A. Barron, the Kodocha manga series by Miho Obana, and Dragon Knights: Volume 17 by Mineko Ohkami. The Ancient One is very good so far, and nicely detailed. Kodocha is cute and funny. Dragon Knights's plot is a bit garbled for a couple books, but overrall a good series.
"A chicken is a bird that is harvested for food." -Matthew Bench, an autistic kid in my school who gives the greatest advice. XD

"I love lamp." -Brick Tamland (Anchorman)

Otaku10 wrote:I won't release your hand even if I sweat, forever.
haru_bay_nay

Postby mitsuki lover » Sun Feb 06, 2005 2:11 pm

My attention spend seems to be wavering nowadays.I can't concentrate on a book for more than a week or so it seems.Or maybe I need lighter fair.In any case I got as far as Bess Trueman in the book on the First Ladies and realized I wasn't going to make it the rest of the way.
mitsuki lover

Postby Kaori » Sun Feb 06, 2005 5:54 pm

The Analects of Confucius, for a history class. They are fairly interesting reading.

MAL
Kaori

Postby Maledicte » Mon Feb 07, 2005 11:10 am

I'm currently reading the Princess Bride. *can't get the movie out of my head*
Maledicte

Postby K. Ayato » Mon Feb 07, 2005 11:15 am

I'm currently up to chapter 5 on Children of the Jedi by Barbara Hambly. I picked it up a few years ago, and didn't understand it very well. So far, so good. It's pretty easy to visualize what the author depicts.
K. Ayato: What happens if you press the small red button?

*Explosion goes off in the movie*

mechana2015: Does that answer your question?

K. Ayato: Perfectly.

Prayer sister of kaji, sticksabuser, Angel37, and Doubleshadow --Love you guys! :)
K. Ayato

Postby _Sin_ » Mon Feb 07, 2005 12:23 pm

Terry Prattchet's Interesting Times. I also ordered Harry Potter book 1-5 yesterday (for a whopping 55 € ) and am eagerly awaiting their arrival :) !

Old sig
_Sin_

Postby Technomancer » Thu Feb 10, 2005 6:57 am

"Neurodynamics for Auditory Stream Segregation: Tracking Sounds in the Moustached Bat's Natural Environment" by Jagmeet Kanwat et al. From a recent edition of 'Network: Computation in Neural Systems' Look for it in your newstand today!
The scientific method," Thomas Henry Huxley once wrote, "is nothing but the normal working of the human mind." That is to say, when the mind is working; that is to say further, when it is engaged in corrrecting its mistakes. Taking this point of view, we may conclude that science is not physics, biology, or chemistry—is not even a "subject"—but a moral imperative drawn from a larger narrative whose purpose is to give perspective, balance, and humility to learning.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Previous Next

Return to Book Corner