Wouldn't you like Manga if it was in COLOR

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

Postby FadedOne » Thu Jan 13, 2005 10:10 am

hmm....I honestly really like black & white. i'm sooo totally easily distracted and I think color would be that much worse. b&w allows me to get into the story and characters more w/o being impressed w/ the 'eye candy' of the surroundings. But hey...that's just me.
Cast in the name of God, ye not guilty.
~~~~~~
At the heart of mature [color=DarkOrchid]femininity
is a freeing disposition to affirm, receive and nuture strength and leadership from worthy men in ways appropriate to a woman's differing relationships.

At the heart of mature masculinity is a sense of benevolent responsibility to lead, provide for and protect women in ways appropriate to a man's differing relationships.[/color]

~~~~
Disclaimer: The comments of Lara, both on forum and chat, are random, unusual, and often sarcastic. Read with a pillar of salt. Thanks. :thumb:
FadedOne

Postby ZiP » Thu Jan 13, 2005 1:44 pm

Color, no doubt about it.
--To Write Love on Her Arms

"That time and absence proves - Rather helps than hurts to love."

"Feelings, emotions, they are good, but they cannot be Love's foundation. When of Love, these things last. When of romance, these things end."

"Love has nothing to do with what you are expecting to get, it's what you are expected to give -- which is everything."
ZiP

Postby Cognitive Gear » Thu Jan 13, 2005 1:52 pm

I'm kinda partial to B&W myself, but color is a nice change.
[font="Tahoma"][SIZE="2"]"It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things."

-Terry Pratchett[/SIZE][/font]
Cognitive Gear

Postby Kokhiri Sojourn » Fri Jan 14, 2005 3:33 pm

B&W is something for me that differentiates manga from anime, to my mind. I don't think I would be real happy about reading manga in color.
Kokhiri Sojourn

Postby Kireihana » Fri Jan 14, 2005 6:12 pm

Colored manga would be awesome, but it would take a lot of time. I'm not sure how much more time it takes to color as opposed to tone, though. But color can definitely add some more detail and clarity to a manga. But some manga, like a lot of CLAMP's work, looks so cool monotone that I don't think I'd want it colored.
Kireihana

Postby Jeikobu » Sat Jan 15, 2005 12:19 pm

Color could be cool, but nothing's wrong with the black and white. I like it that way, it's unique, and I think it's better than having it in color, though it's hard to describe how.
"For a child will be born to us, a son will be given to us; and the government will rest on His shoulders; and His name will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Eternal Father, Prince of Peace." - Isaiah 9:6

[SIZE="3"]Please give and help Japan during this awful time![/SIZE]

Please visit my Photobucket and tell me what you think!
Jeikobu

Postby Uriah » Fri Jan 21, 2005 5:27 pm

Color is nice. But black and white is kinda my thing.
Uriah

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Fri Jan 21, 2005 8:19 pm

i love it when it's in color. Like the first few pages in azumanga daioh in volume 4. And in Full Metal Panic i keep forgetting Chidori's hair is blue
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby Felix » Fri Feb 11, 2005 9:32 am

I really don't care. I seem to be more used to it in black and white, though. I really don't mind.
Felix

Postby KazuValis » Wed Mar 23, 2005 1:12 pm

I think it would be easier to read, since I have trouble sometimes w/some mangas, but I think I prefer the black-and-white, and not all mangas are difficult. The hardes time I think is w/the speech bubbles. like, WHO'S TALKING?! I don't know 'cuz they're just thrown around and have no indicators and Jon's bubble is next to Hirakashi and Hira's is next to Jon's! AARG!!! oh, well. (btw, Jon and Hirakashi are made-up and hypothetical to this particular post. any resemblance to others...blahblah...coincidental...blahblah)
He who walks with integrity walks securely, but he who perverts his ways will become known.--Prov. 10:9

Image :rock:
KazuValis

Postby TrigunX89 » Tue Apr 05, 2005 5:26 pm

Black and white is good with me, though I do wish more companies would put color pages in graphic novels as they appeared in the original publication.
TrigunX89

Postby Joshua Christopher » Tue Apr 05, 2005 9:29 pm

The wolrd that I live in is black and white.
Joshua Christopher

Postby Yumie » Sat Apr 09, 2005 9:50 am

Although it is fun to see the characters in full blown color, it would take a lot longer to make. . . I just couldn't wait any longer for new volumes of my favorite series to be released. I think I might blow up.
Yumie

Postby Sparrowhawk » Mon Apr 11, 2005 2:48 pm

I do not want manga colored because it takes away something from it. It's hard to explain. I consider black and white to be part of what makes manga, manga. Not because manga is traditionally black and white, but rather, i guess when i think of western cartoons part of what pops out in my mind is all the color. I like manga more than anime (forgive me!!!! i know this is CAA not CMA) because i almost feel like i'm watching a western cartoon (i also rarely like the voice acting, but don't get me wrong, i love anime too, all this complaints about anime would be like saying i was upset about $.999 million instead of a whole million, its not like i don't like anime, just prefer manga). However, I DO like the color pics when they are in the front of the book, especially when its a fantasy manga. I love color pics of my fav manga and characters, but when i'm reading i prefer black and white.
Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
Final Fantasy 7

"The Road goes ever on and on
Down from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the Road has gone,
And I must follow, if I can,
Pursing it with eager feet,
Until it joins some larger way
Where many paths and errands meet.
And whither then? I cannot say."
-Fellowship of the Ring, by JRR Tolkien

Postby btboy500 » Sun Apr 17, 2005 4:09 pm

Personally, black and white is fine, but there have been so many times where it's been hard to see and distinguish characters(especially during fight scenes). Atleast in those areas, color would be a good help.
btboy500

Postby Hoshika » Mon May 16, 2005 7:14 pm

I used to collect U.S. comic books but then they started changing artists like every other issue, messing up the story, raising the price sky high and the list goes on. Reading manga I do find it more difficult to distinguish what's what than with the colored U.S. comics. Though those too got a little confusing. But it basically comes done to the artist being able to shade and draw things proper as not to cause readers eye strain. Though I find the manga kinda stail Ruruno Kenshin has some of the most beautiful art work. I can only remember a couple instances where my eyes got hurt from the lack of definition (and yup during a fight scene). Trigun was the worst. It had a lot of action but without the images being clearly defined I couldn't tell what the heck was going on.

Color would be nice but that would also rase the price of the manga. Still if the artist does his/her job well the traditional black and white looks very good.
Hoshika

Postby Ryupower » Mon May 16, 2005 7:21 pm

I like both, but color makes it seem like the author put more work into it! ;)

My future manga/comic will be in color! :)
My DA

(\_/)
(O.o) Copy The Bunny Into Your Sig
(> <) Help Him Achieve World Domination...
Ryupower

Postby Radical Dreamer » Wed Jun 08, 2005 7:26 pm

Black and white, definitely. From an artist's standpoint, I'm amazed at the different things a manga artist can do with a simple pen. There are so many techniques involved, and I find that it helps the general feel of the manga. I do think manga covers should be in color, but not the actual mangas themselves. That's what anime is for! ^_^
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby Sparrow Writer » Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:56 am

I prefer black and white, all the way!
"Ah, look, Kouryuu...the birds are returning north. Can you see? ...Kouryuu. Who do you suppose decided birds are free? They can fly wherever they choose...but if there's no branch for them to return to...they might regret having wings, don't you think? Perhaps true freedom...is having a home to return to."

~Adopted By~
Silvanis
Sparrow Writer

Postby Kaorugirl » Mon Aug 08, 2005 8:23 pm

It matters on my mood,, but sometimes I do like color because I can see the characters hair color, eye color, etc. But I wouldn't buy it if it cost extra,, unless I REALLY liked the manga.
Kaorugirl

Postby Ren_sama » Mon Aug 08, 2005 8:47 pm

I prefer the black and white tones. That's one of the reasons why I love manga so much. ^^
Ren_sama

Postby Kura Ookami » Tue Aug 09, 2005 2:39 am

I know i say that colour in anime is an advantage for anime, but i think it would be worse if manga was in colour. With manga you need to use your imagination more. Filling things in is part of the fun of reading mangas so colour would detract from that. . Manga should be in black and white.

Besides colour would raise the price. Would you buy a manga that was the same price as an anime? Though i dount that would happen. Alot of the reason people prefer manga is because its cheaper. So from a business point of view colour would probably lose sales.
Absence is to love as wind is to a flame. It extinguishes the little, it ignites the great.

Life is a test. It is only a test. Had this been real life you would have have been instructed where to go and what to do.

When i argue with reality I lose.....But only 100% of the time.

Once you've decided on a course of action, only you can finish it. As long as you remember that, there's nothing you can't accomplish.
Kura Ookami

Postby Todeskreuz » Tue Aug 16, 2005 4:53 pm

bw all the way... because you could easily make a great piece of bw artwork look crappy with color if you didn't do it right...in some manga I think itd be ok (like gravitation...who knew Shuichi's hair was pink???) but I just like it better personally when its in bw...
"I cried out with no reply and I can't feel you by my side so I hold tight to what I know...your here...and I'm never alone"

"In the moon want to sleep want to sleep with the silence you heal me again, through the long and trying day you save me...in the moon I’m just veiled in the silver shining"

"Forever Love, Forever Dream, I can't walk any further, Oh tell me why, Oh tell me true, Teach me the meaning of life"

"Never change... that's what a fool would say in his dreams at the moment when you're facing the end of everything"

Adopted by: LeaChan-4ever

(\_/)
(O.o) Copy The Bunny Into Your Sig
(> <) Help Him Achieve World Domination...
Todeskreuz

Previous

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews