Review Requests

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Postby MyrrhLynn » Sun Dec 05, 2004 12:23 pm

Gypsy wrote:Your reviews would be welcomed and very helpful MyrrhLynn, but you don't have to write one if you really don't want to. While a complete review of Chrono Crusade would be awesome, I really don't mind doing a play-by-play one.

Here's a tip to any reviewer - be completely objective in the review part (if you're not, I will be for you), make a couple spaces, and then add in your own personal comments part. I seperate them when I enter reviews.

Well ok if you and Mangafanatic gang up on me like this I guess I could try. :sweat: It's been awhile since I saw Chrno Crusade though, and I disliked it so much I've sort of tried to block it from my memory :lol: I'll still try though, and you can just add to it Gypsy as you watch it. :thumb: How does that sound?

:x:Anti Yaoi Fans :x: Daystar Design :x: MyrrhLynn.NET :x: Need an avatar? Then Click here!

"Another Sane Sig brought to you by MOES."
MyrrhLynn

Postby agasfas » Mon Dec 13, 2004 7:02 pm

Twelve Kingdoms (Juuni Kokki). I've read a lot of reviews and it looks like something I may enjoy. From the looks of it, it seems quite interesting and engaging. I was kind of curious what insight I would get from a christian standpoint. Heck, I would even settle for a general summary/jist of it if at all possible. :P
"A merry heart doeth good like a medicine.." Prov 17:22

The word 'impossible' isn't in my dictionary... but I don't really have a dictionary you know? - Eikichi Onizuka.
Sorry, but I stop being a teacher at 5 o'clock. - Eikichi Onizuka.
agasfas

Postby One_piece__ » Mon Dec 13, 2004 7:10 pm

neon genesis evangelion; and teh 2 movies, all seperate
One_piece__

Postby true_noir_chloe » Mon Dec 13, 2004 9:15 pm

agasfas wrote: Twelve Kingdoms (Juuni Kokki). I've read a lot of reviews and it looks like something I may enjoy. From the looks of it, it seems quite interesting and engaging. I was kind of curious what insight I would get from a christian standpoint. Heck, I would even settle for a general summary/jist of it if at all possible. :P

I'll try to give you a general summary. I'm up to watching Vol. 8 of Twelve Kingdoms and basically, it is probably one of the most under-appreciated anime I've seen.

The story is so indepth and so intricate that it really keeps your attention. It is more of an epic, or like a great fantasy novel "series" rather than just an anime.

The main character is a bit irritating at the beginning, but you then get over her as she grows up and into her role as the Queen of one of the Kingdoms. There is a lull in the middle of the story, and an ending at around Vol. 4 or 5, can't remember, and you think it's over. But then, it gets even better with the introduction of more characters.

The Rat, I can not spell his name, is a wonderfully Christian-like character. He is a pleasure to watch throughout the series, as he helps the main protagonist and many of the other later characters brought into the story grow up and become who they are meant to be; whether it be to be a great leader, or to be content in their circumstance.

It is the story/epic of the 12 Kingdoms; thus, it goes on about all the kingdoms. If you are a fan of history or of lenthy novels and intricate storylines, you will love 12 Kingdoms.

It is rated 13+ because there is some violence and more adult themes. The religion is completely fantasy, so it is not offensive to our God. It is pure fantasy at its best. There is no fan service.

It is hard to find, since it is Anime Works. They tend to slip in these wonderful series out of the blue, and this one is a gem that has come in under the radar.

You'll like it, Agasfas, and its worth a rent at the least.

[size=84][color=seagreen]YOU SEE

You see into the deepest part of me ---

beyond the fog I hide behind.

You cast your light upon the shadows

that stretch like cobwebs in my mind.

You ease the pain when I am hurting,

and morbid visions from my past

pierce into the realm of Reason

as though I danced on blades of glass.

You grant me strength when I have fallen

and, once again, I've lost my way.

You take my hand in Yours and lead me

into the promise of a brand new day.

You bring order to all my chaos,

yet set my well-laid plans awry.

You place me on a firm foundation ---

then give me wings so I can fly.

You sand away my roughened edges

and polish all the dullest parts

until I stand before Your presence...

a newly-sculpted work of art.

You see into the heart within me,

right through my motives and selfish will.

And yet, in spite of all You see

You say You love me even still.

~by D.M.~

[/color][/size]
true_noir_chloe

Postby indyrocker » Mon Dec 13, 2004 9:25 pm

LOVE HINA and LOVE HINA AGAIN do it now!
Indyrocker aka the user fomaly known as Agentsmith700

my remixes --> http://www.purevolume.com/irishangel
my Xanga--> http://www.xanga.com/indyrocker
A member of the Society of Hatted Members

adopted by Rachel
Adopted Banana-chan, heero yuy 95

There are no more heroes any more they all died in the night that the world fell into darknes; and good men are trampled down into the dirt never to be seen again. This is the story of this world of ours the story of the corupt and those that would try to save it from them but become corupt themselfs from their own selfish greed and want for what they do not have.
indyrocker

Postby agasfas » Tue Dec 14, 2004 6:39 pm

Thank you so much true_noir, you have really helped a lot. To be honest I didn't even think anyone would reply :P. By the looks of it, it looks like a pretty good series. I'm not the biggest fantasy fan, heck I still haven't seen the Lord of the rings or Star wars, but for some reason, this series caught my eye. There's a anime rental store in North Austin, I should just go there and rent to first few dvd's. Once again, thannk you for taking the time to summarize a bit of it. Thanks.
"A merry heart doeth good like a medicine.." Prov 17:22

The word 'impossible' isn't in my dictionary... but I don't really have a dictionary you know? - Eikichi Onizuka.
Sorry, but I stop being a teacher at 5 o'clock. - Eikichi Onizuka.
agasfas

Postby Android raptor » Fri Dec 17, 2004 2:15 pm

Ahem, not to be rude or anything, but A.r. is still waitin' for her review of 08th! *taps foot*
Android raptor

Postby Gypsy » Fri Dec 17, 2004 3:00 pm

true_noir_chloe wrote:It is hard to find, since it is Anime Works. They tend to slip in these wonderful series out of the blue, and this one is a gem that has come in under the radar.

Wow, and you're not kidding. This is one of the hardest-to-find liscenced series that I'm collecting. Sometimes it's even scarce on ebay. But I've really enjoyed what I've seen from it so far - it's got a very exotic atmosphere to it, even for a fantasy.

agentsmith700 wrote:LOVE HINA and LOVE HINA AGAIN do it now!

Beware of popping blood vessels. ;) As much as I hate to admit it, I am really prone to having the best intentions of doing something, and then either forgetting about it, or knocking it down on the priority list. It's something I'm honestly trying to work on, but I still make lots of mistakes. Everyone and their grandmother is playing the "Oh, I'm so busy!" tune, so I'll spare you all, but I'm not exactly lounging around eating bon bons. So if it's in the pending area and I haven't reviewed it, I'm sorry. If it's not in the pending area, I can't help you because I've never watched a Love Hina series. Hitokiri might be able to help you out, though.

And keep tapping, Android raptor, because I don't see it in the pending section either. I've only seen the edited version, so a review from my standpoint would be next to worthless.
||Skipping Tomorrows Webmanga||
"A ship in harbor is safe but that is not what ships are built for." - John A. Shedd
Gypsy

Postby JesusFreak84 » Fri Dec 17, 2004 9:19 pm

OK, if there is a review of Chrono Crusade already here, can someone PM me the link? If not, when one is done, can the reviewer PM me then? I'm not checking through oodles of pages to find one post. :P

Danke!
Papist Pest :angel:

http://jesusfreak84.livejournal.com
http://www.adorem.us/forum
http://www.omegarock.com
Warning: I'm prone to the following--
:rant::comp::bang::poke::forehead:
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?" (Plagiarized from Mithradir.)
JesusFreak84

Postby Mithrandir » Sat Dec 18, 2004 7:09 am

First off, there isn't an "official" review. The official reviews are all quite clearly displayed when you click on the "review" button at the top of your page.

Second: Have you tried the search feature? It *can* save time if you are looking for something in particular...
Mithrandir

Postby Kisa » Sat Dec 18, 2004 11:55 am

Has anyone asked for a Jubei Chan 1 and 2 yet?
Also:
Pretear
Ceres Celestial Legend
Thanks! ^^
Romans 12:2
Kisa

Postby Arnobius » Mon Dec 20, 2004 9:29 am

true_noir_chloe wrote:It is rated 13+ because there is some violence and more adult themes. The religion is completely fantasy, so it is not offensive to our God. It is pure fantasy at its best. There is no fan service..

Perhaps a bit off the main path, but I have to say it's nice to find fellow Christians who can seperate fictional religion from the real thing. Too many people I know would get bent out of shape by that sort of thing (the same sort who think role playing is a sin.

true_noir_chloe wrote:The main character is a bit irritating at the beginning, but you then get over her as she grows up and into her role as the Queen of one of the Kingdoms. There is a lull in the middle of the story, and an ending at around Vol. 4 or 5, can't remember, and you think it's over. But then, it gets even better with the introduction of more characters.

Personally I could relate to her insecure nature, since I was like that for a long time. Basically she's got no self confidence and low self esteem. She doesn't think she deserves good things to happen to her and expects the worst.

I'll have to get back into that series, since it was one that really seemed above the norm. Once I get some money again...
Arnobius

Postby Gypsy » Wed Dec 22, 2004 3:13 pm

AnimeHeretic wrote:Personally I could relate to her insecure nature, since I was like that for a long time. Basically she's got no self confidence and low self esteem. She doesn't think she deserves good things to happen to her and expects the worst.

While I did get a little ansty for her to accept her situation and move on, I understand and agree with what you're saying. I did want to kick her early in the series, though. ;)
"A ship in harbor is safe but that is not what ships are built for." - John A. Shedd
Gypsy

Postby crossalchemist » Fri Dec 24, 2004 1:09 pm

[quote="Gypsy"]Wow, and you're not kidding. This is one of the hardest-to-find liscenced series that I'm collecting. Sometimes it's even scarce on ebay. But I've really enjoyed what I've seen from it so far - it's got a very exotic atmosphere to it, even for a fantasy.

Beware of popping blood vessels. ]
I could write the Love Hina and Love Hina Again reviews, I've watched both. Do I have to get permission first or something?
formerly known as linwood

"The power of Christ forgives you!"
-Brett (a friend from college, parodying the famous line from 'The Exorcist'.)

My new homepage!

My Infamously Semi-Famous Story Blog:
The Sheehy Brothers Adventures!

Dr. Bryan Enderle, Chemistry lecturer at the University of California at Davis gives an excellent talk on Science vs. Faith once in a great while. I tried to record it once, with very limited success, this link is what I have.
Science vs. Faith
crossalchemist

Location: Somewhere far far away, where they'll never find me.

Postby olorc » Tue Jan 04, 2005 12:47 pm

anime review requested: adjuna
anyone seen this? Any fanservice or sexual content in it at all?
Run the race so as not to be disqualified from the prize.
98% of the teenage population does or has tried smoking pot. If you're one of the 2% who hasn't, copy & paste this in your signature.
olorc

Postby Angel Mitsuki » Wed Jan 12, 2005 12:36 pm

I've been really interested in Fullmetal Alchemist, but because of some things I've heard, I'm a bit "iffy". Could someone maybe do a review on the series? ^^; Either that, or could someone say exactly how much bad religion is in it? I've seen a little of the series and it looks really good, but I just want to know how much bad religion is really total in this series.
Angel Mitsuki

Postby Gypsy » Wed Jan 12, 2005 2:13 pm

There are a few FMA reviews in the pending area, so you won't have to wait long for a review, Angel Mitsuki. :)
Gypsy

Postby Angel Mitsuki » Wed Jan 12, 2005 2:59 pm

Ah really? Okies then! Thanks for telling me *lol*
Angel Mitsuki

Postby Mangafanatic » Thu Jan 13, 2005 9:31 am

linwood wrote:I could write the Love Hina and Love Hina Again reviews, I've watched both. Do I have to get permission first or something?

You write it and then submit it in the review section. Gypsy, or another moderator, will look it over and see if it's okay. If it is, they put it up. I don't think you permission prior to writting it. (Or, atleast, I never got prior permission :sweat: )
Every year in Uganda, innumerable children simply. . . disappear. These children all stolen under the cover of darkness from their homes and impressed into the guerilla armies of the LRA [Lord's Resistance Army]. In the deserts of Uganda, they are forced to witness the mindless slaughter of other children until they themselves can do nothing but kill. Kill. These children, generally ranging from ages 5-12, are brainwashed into murdering in the name of the resistance and into stealing other children from their beds to suffer the same fate.

Because of this genocide of innocence, hundred and hundreds of children live every night sleeping in public places miles from their homes, because they know that if the do not-- they will disappear. They will become just another number in this genocide to which the international community has chosen to turn a blind eye. They will become, in affect, invisible-- Invisible Children.

But there are those who are trying to fight against this slaughter of Uganda's children. They fight to protect these "invisible children." Please, help them help a country full of children who know nothing by fear. Help save the innocence. For more information concerning how you can help and how you can get an incredible video about this horrific reality, visit the Invisible Children home page.
Mangafanatic

Postby true_noir_chloe » Thu Jan 13, 2005 2:54 pm

Osaka wrote: You write it and then submit it in the review section. Gypsy, or another moderator, will look it over and see if it's okay.

Actually, you send it to Gypsy for approval and she places it in the review section. I don't believe you're supposed to put it in the review section yourself. Basically, its best to keep Gypsy informed and get her permission, just like the way you do stuff in school. I think that would be proper etiquette.

At least, this is how I've interpreted it to be done. ^__^ I'm also sorry if I misread your reply, Osaka - I do that sometimes. ^^;

[size=84][color=seagreen]YOU SEE

You see into the deepest part of me ---

beyond the fog I hide behind.

You cast your light upon the shadows

that stretch like cobwebs in my mind.

You ease the pain when I am hurting,

and morbid visions from my past

pierce into the realm of Reason

as though I danced on blades of glass.

You grant me strength when I have fallen

and, once again, I've lost my way.

You take my hand in Yours and lead me

into the promise of a brand new day.

You bring order to all my chaos,

yet set my well-laid plans awry.

You place me on a firm foundation ---

then give me wings so I can fly.

You sand away my roughened edges

and polish all the dullest parts

until I stand before Your presence...

a newly-sculpted work of art.

You see into the heart within me,

right through my motives and selfish will.

And yet, in spite of all You see

You say You love me even still.

~by D.M.~

[/color][/size]
true_noir_chloe

Postby CDLviking » Thu Jan 13, 2005 7:02 pm

I'm pretty sure when you submit it in the review section it goes straight to Gypsy. That's they way I've done all of mine.
CDLviking

Postby shooraijin » Thu Jan 13, 2005 9:22 pm

Actually, it goes into a holding area. From time to time, some others of us will help out, so it's best to submit them there so that anyone looking in it will see them.
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby Kokhiri Sojourn » Fri Jan 14, 2005 3:25 pm

Can anyone do a Serial Experaments Lain review?
Kokhiri Sojourn

Postby MyrrhLynn » Sat Jan 15, 2005 9:00 am

I'm going to try and do a bunch of reviews for series I've seen but aren't in the reviews area yet (I'm not going to do Chrno Crusade cause I think I'm too biased against that series. :lol: ) Here's some one's I'm going to try to do:
Weiss Kreuz Gluhen
Spiral,
Mythical Detective Loki,
Prince of Tennis,
Whistle

And hopefully more depending on how long it takes me. XD

:x:Anti Yaoi Fans :x: Daystar Design :x: MyrrhLynn.NET :x: Need an avatar? Then Click here!

"Another Sane Sig brought to you by MOES."
MyrrhLynn

Postby Mangafanatic » Sat Jan 15, 2005 9:14 am

Oh! I'd really like to see a Spiral review!-- Actually, I'd like to see all of them, but that one in particular. :sweat:
Every year in Uganda, innumerable children simply. . . disappear. These children all stolen under the cover of darkness from their homes and impressed into the guerilla armies of the LRA [Lord's Resistance Army]. In the deserts of Uganda, they are forced to witness the mindless slaughter of other children until they themselves can do nothing but kill. Kill. These children, generally ranging from ages 5-12, are brainwashed into murdering in the name of the resistance and into stealing other children from their beds to suffer the same fate.

Because of this genocide of innocence, hundred and hundreds of children live every night sleeping in public places miles from their homes, because they know that if the do not-- they will disappear. They will become just another number in this genocide to which the international community has chosen to turn a blind eye. They will become, in affect, invisible-- Invisible Children.

But there are those who are trying to fight against this slaughter of Uganda's children. They fight to protect these "invisible children." Please, help them help a country full of children who know nothing by fear. Help save the innocence. For more information concerning how you can help and how you can get an incredible video about this horrific reality, visit the Invisible Children home page.
Mangafanatic

Postby Arnobius » Sat Jan 15, 2005 9:22 pm

olorc wrote:anime review requested: adjuna
anyone seen this? Any fanservice or sexual content in it at all?

Did you mean Arjuna by any chance?
Arnobius

Postby Heart of Sword » Sun Jan 16, 2005 7:35 am

Rurouni Kenshin, Reflections.

I wanna watch it but I've heard a lot of different stuff about it...about...a...sex thing...but then other people said there was no scene like that...that they were just sleeping.

I don't wanna go "BLAAAARGH" while I'm watching the Precious... :waah!:
Heart of Sword's Rhapsody

Money, get away
Get a good job with good pay and you're okay
And all and all you're just another brick in the wall
Shoutin’ in the street gonna take on the world some day
But Bismallah will not let me go
Because I'll see you on the dark side of the moon

Tommy used to work on the docks
Union's been on strike
Bright eyes burning like fire
And exposing every weakness
However carefully hidden by the kids

Who will love a little Sparrow
Who's traveled far and cries for rest
Spare him his life from this monstrosity

I've seen a million faces and I've rocked them all
And if the band youre in starts playing different tunes
We will we will rock you
We will we will rock you!

[Pink Floyd fan listening to Queen and hugging trees which is also known as taking care of God's creation with a pair of headphones on listening to Nightwish as loud as possible while writing a novel on a computer in the middle of a field filled with Wolves.]

[Bassist...finally learning Money]
Heart of Sword

Postby Arnobius » Sun Jan 16, 2005 8:37 am

Heart of Sword wrote:Rurouni Kenshin, Reflections.

I wanna watch it but I've heard a lot of different stuff about it...about...a...sex thing...but then other people said there was no scene like that...that they were just sleeping.

I don't wanna go "BLAAAARGH" while I'm watching the Precious... :waah!:

It was there, but not shown in an explicit way.

[EDIT] Hmm, did you know that when looking at the summary form, you can see the text of the spoiler? So here's some extra spoiler space for that

[spoiler]Kenshin and Kaoru are married. Kenshin had picked up a disease when working with refugees (which he has done as attonement for his bloody past). Kaoru wants to share it (that is, take the disease into her own body) because she thinks that Kenshin has been carrying a heavy burden of guilt over his battousai past and she wants to share part of his burden. The sex scene is basically how the disease is passed to her[/spoiler]
Just keep in mind that all the OVA were given a 17+ rating and if you're concerned about mature content, you should be aware of it.
Arnobius

Postby Kireihana » Mon Jan 17, 2005 11:55 am

MyrrhLynn wrote:I'm going to try and do a bunch of reviews for series I've seen but aren't in the reviews area yet (I'm not going to do Chrno Crusade cause I think I'm too biased against that series. :lol: ) Here's some one's I'm going to try to do:
Weiss Kreuz Gluhen
Spiral,
Mythical Detective Loki,
Prince of Tennis,
Whistle

And hopefully more depending on how long it takes me. XD

There's a Whistle anime? :jump:
Kireihana

Postby Rogie » Mon Jan 17, 2005 2:15 pm

I was just wondering if anyone is currently working on a review for Master Keaton, Here Is Greenwood, or Comic Party. If not, I'm willing to work on those reviews, as I'm closing in on the finales for each series.
Zar wrote:Praise God for all things awesome. Life ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But sanctify the Lord your God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear:
-- 1 Peter 3:15
Rogie

Previous Next

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews