Manga artiests and writers unite

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

Postby Chapel » Thu Dec 30, 2004 9:46 am

Cool drawing, Chapel, I don't have time to look into it now, but I'll try to keep up.
thanks and don't worry that pic is all that is there it will only be updated once a month caz I don't have the time or energy to do two web comics quickly.

Now, I'm working on a short comic, just for the heck of it. If I keep up with it, I'll probably be done with it in a week or so, I already have the thing storyboarded, it will be about 50 panels, all together. It's nothing serious or anything with a deep storyline, just anime versions of me and two other church friends going after Osoma, metal gear solid style. I just came up with the idea in church, I pratice kung fu, one friend wrestles, and the other boxes, so that's what we'll be doing in the comic.

Thats awsome I think personal experiance bring a whole new level to comics if you can pull it off.

I checked it out, Chapel, but would you mind explaining in more detail what it is about?

Ok I didn't want to go to far into it because I have a bad problem about giving away the whole story line... But the main premis is that the boy has lost both of his parents and the government decided he would make a good candidite for a trained assasin and tests him over thirteen days in each day he will be faced with an assasin for an hr whom will try and kill him. If he stays alive he's in. If he gets the assailant to stop by death, injury, or persawassion he will get a mill per assalient he stops. Kinda thing lol

Ah I smell the scent of new project ideas...

That you did Mave you have quite the nose

Blood PI
By: Me
Start Date: January 1st, hopefully.
Update schedule: Single pages, updated at least weekly (I hope).
Length: 26 Chapters, anime style (episodic story progression)
Synopsys: Private investigators, vampires, werewolves and monster hunters with a dash of cyberpunk.
Rating: suggested 13 and up for violence (subject to change)

I've seen some of it and it is good stuff... I recommend checking it out

Hello,

Just thought I'd offer my writing services to any serious mangaka. If you need a writer PM me and I'll send you some samples.

I'll take you up on that I could always use a break from writing. I did PM you u still haven't gotten back to me, just a thought.

Well all In news of me I just hit 150 in my web manga TO BE CONT... I have upped the quality of each strip and even went back and made sure all the ones in the archive were readable. But yes 150 strips what a trip. Also I recently hit 4000 pageviews at DA so that was really cool too. Sorry I haven't been on much lately been really busy with work and art and all kinds of crazyness.

CHAPEL ;)
Chapel

Postby Uriah » Fri Dec 31, 2004 5:26 pm

I just recieved some of the japanese manga supplies I ordered! The only word to describe the G-Pen is.. FRICKING AMAZING! Or wait.. That was two words.. I'll be inking the comic with my new tools.
Uriah

Postby sonichiro » Fri Jan 07, 2005 9:06 am

hey, thought i'd join. don't laugh at my age, its been my dream since i was three to be a comic book artist/author.
name: sonichiro
materials:any 0.5 Dr. Polygrip mechanical pencils straight from japan!(i luv the comfortable grip, smooth writing, the fact that you only need to shake it to get more lead) laurentain pecil crayons, sakura micron scrap book pens, any vinil eraser, any smooth paper.
strengths: names for characters, eyes(i'm always coming up with a new eye from something i'll see that resembles an eye), face shape(most of the time...), hair, body proportions(although i can't seem to draw anyone who isn't really skinny) character concepts/story lines(i keep a pen and notebook on my beside table because most of my ideas come from a random thought/dream when i'm in bed), colouring, long slender fingers.
weeknesses: noses, i can't seem to draw people facing the right without there face shapes looking really bad, fat people, muscled people, old people, inking(i've never tried on a computer and don't intend to, and i usually screw up on inking with a pen because my hand will shake), feet, poses, back ground.
current projects: Chasing Ashes, Korr's revolution
inspirations: my best friend, mariko, she lives in japan, masami tsuda, yu watase, hinako ashihara, miki aihara, clamp, hao mizaki(think thats the right spelling), the woman who did inu-yahsa and ranma 1/2
background: my aunt would baby sitt me when i was young and would put on the movie "my neighbor totoro" when i was really young and as i got older i would see anime/manga and instantly love it. i realize now that that was a subconconsciece thing that registered in my brain bringing me back to my happy days with totoro..... my favorite show when i was seven was sailor moon, then i go into that whole pokymon/digimon faze... ive been drawing ever since i can remember and i've always wanted to have a career in comic books, now i want to have a career in manga. used to draw only realism.
sory that was so long...i would post some art but i'm still not sure how?? yes, i am an unexperienced little know nothing...
-- if white was black and black was white, what of shades of grey?
sonichiro

Postby jazz » Fri Jan 07, 2005 11:09 am

woo! you sound alot like me, except that i'm anime illiterate for the most part.... :shady:

funny, when i draw faces from the right the same thing happens... it's weird. but most other angles seem to work out well enough.....
jazz

Postby Chapel » Sat Jan 08, 2005 1:02 pm

hey, thought i'd join. don't laugh at my age, its been my dream since i was three to be a comic book artist/author.

No laughing I've seen better than me at younger ages

n
ame: sonichiro

hello and welcome to our topic

strengths: names for characters, eyes(i'm always coming up with a new eye from something i'll see that resembles an eye), face shape(most of the time...), hair, body proportions(although i can't seem to draw anyone who isn't really skinny) character concepts/story lines(i keep a pen and notebook on my beside table because most of my ideas come from a random thought/dream when i'm in bed), colouring, long slender fingers.

awsome sounds like you have a very strong start i hope to see some of your work up here or linked too.

weeknesses: noses, i can't seem to draw people facing the right without there face shapes looking really bad, fat people, muscled people, old people, inking(i've never tried on a computer and don't intend to, and i usually screw up on inking with a pen because my hand will shake), feet, poses, back ground.

We all have something we need to work on its good to know you know what you need to work on... for me its hands ussually
Chapel

Postby Mave » Sat Jan 08, 2005 2:48 pm

Hi everyone

Mechana: Where can I see this comic of yours? Do you have a link?

Chapel: I admit I haven't checked out TBC for a while but I did today. haha the girls checking on the guys' conversation and your main character running out on the yard for the New Year celebration was so funny! But man, about that couple that fought and broke up? Ahhhhh I wanna kick that smoker guy!! Picking on his gf's weight indeed, gah! But great message after the gothic guy left from the road trip. ^__^ Artwise, I love your style! XD (you may have noticed I kinda read the comic backwards starting from the most recent until the last time I read it ^_^; ) I noticed a number of new characters too hehe

Uriah: A G-pen? I might have to try it one day hehe Show us what you can do with it soon! XD XD

Sonichiro: Welcome to the group! Hey it's never too early to dream. I have a harder time drawing characters facing the right as well (well, on my right when I'm looking at it) since I'm left-handed and it just feels awkward. I look forward to hearing and seeing more stuff from you. ^__^

I don't have much to update for now. Artwise, I did some chibi comic strips on some of our own CAA members who are involved in the CAA Annual Tournament thread (Goof Off). But apart from that, I've been busy settling in my new home and academic semester. I'm picking up on mangakaing soon so stay tuned! XD
Mave

Postby mechana2015 » Sat Jan 08, 2005 4:37 pm

I'm going to be putting the comic up in DA... the Jan 1 date was a preliminary prediction of when I would have the first page ready, but I have concept art galore for it. I'll probably board the first page tonight and start on it tomorrow. Feel free to keep bugging me about this so I actually keep on it and work on it...

Meanwhile Ill put up some quick concept art for a charachter...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby sonichiro » Sat Jan 08, 2005 5:35 pm

this is goin to sound stupid but how do you 'attatch thumbnails' to your message??? i'm not quite sure how and i wanna post my art.....
-- if white was black and black was white, what of shades of grey?
sonichiro

Postby uc pseudonym » Sat Jan 08, 2005 5:38 pm

sonichiro wrote:this is goin to sound stupid but how do you 'attatch thumbnails' to your message??? i'm not quite sure how and i wanna post my art.....

First, make sure you are using the full posting window, not the quick post. This can be accessed by clicking "Reply" on another person's post, or by clicking "Go Advanced" at the bottom of a quick post. Once there, scroll down past your post and you should see a button labeled "Manage Attachments" from which you can upload images, provided they are the correct size and type.
uc pseudonym

Postby Jasdero » Sun Jan 09, 2005 1:58 am

mechana2015 wrote:I'm going to be putting the comic up in DA... the Jan 1 date was a preliminary prediction of when I would have the first page ready, but I have concept art galore for it. I'll probably board the first page tonight and start on it tomorrow. Feel free to keep bugging me about this so I actually keep on it and work on it...

Meanwhile Ill put up some quick concept art for a charachter...

kyaa!!!! That's so good, Mechy!!! X3333
× s h i n i e s , y e s ? ×

does it not burn... LIKE THE SUN?!
Jasdero

Postby mechana2015 » Sun Jan 09, 2005 2:30 am

O.o that was a quick drawing... I (non offensively) swear.

My Deviantart
mechana2015

Postby Jasdero » Sun Jan 09, 2005 2:31 am

mechana2015 wrote:O.o that was a quick drawing... I (non offensively) swear.

XD!

@_@ It's still so bloody good... *o*

Jasdero

Postby Mave » Sun Jan 09, 2005 2:26 pm

Sunako wrote:XD!

@_@ It's still so bloody good... *o*

LOL that was good! I particular thought the smiley face in the midst of all the weapons, leather and chains was amusing ^___^
Mave

Postby mechana2015 » Sun Jan 09, 2005 4:27 pm

Should I keep that in the design then?

My Deviantart
mechana2015

Postby Uriah » Mon Jan 10, 2005 9:19 pm

Mave wrote:
Uriah: A G-pen? I might have to try it one day hehe Show us what you can do with it soon! XD XD

I have posted one drawing that I did with the G-pen, You'v probably already seen it, though. It was a chibi angel.

http://www.christiananime.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=15870

the only time that thing does not draw perfect lines is when my hand is shakey. :P
Uriah

Postby Chapel » Wed Jan 12, 2005 10:23 pm

Mech I like your drawing but then again i already commented on it at DA so you knew that.

hey anyone want to see a huge mistake... it keeps me humble to know that even as you get better you will still completely screw up... luckily this one was caught. Look for the sixth finger you all. Its the little things that maker like six fingers lol

chapel
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chapel

Postby mechana2015 » Wed Jan 12, 2005 11:42 pm

heeeeeyyyyyy nice one :thumb: heh just kidding
gyahhh... the concept art is taking me foreeeevvahh on this

My Deviantart
mechana2015

Postby Mave » Thu Jan 13, 2005 5:36 am

lol Mechana, to answer your question, sure keep the design. *keeps bugging Mechana* ^_~

Chapel, wahahaha hey I did the same thing when I drew Duo! Unfortunately, I fixed it so....I can't prove my error anymore. ^_^;

Thanks Uriah, I'll have to check this G-pen out very soon!
Mave

Postby Jasdero » Thu Jan 13, 2005 1:20 pm

Chapel wrote:hey anyone want to see a huge mistake... it keeps me humble to know that even as you get better you will still completely screw up... luckily this one was caught. Look for the sixth finger you all. Its the little things that maker like six fingers lol

chapel

XDDDDDDDDDD

That still looks awesome, though... XD

Jasdero

Postby Chapel » Fri Jan 14, 2005 2:13 am

Thanks I'll be sure to post the final image here and yeah I am just so glad it was caught it could have been really embarassing lol

pepsi
Chapel

Postby Chapel » Sat Jan 15, 2005 12:22 pm

ok I finished it so here you all can see what it looks like with out the mistakes lol
Chapel

Postby Chapel » Thu Feb 03, 2005 11:21 am

OK I know its been a while sense I've been on but here we go... I have compiled and that means i went through ever page of this forum topic to find all the members and made a list... so if your on this list feel free to come back and say hey and re offer us and update on projects your doing or what not just a hey life is good would be cool.

If you think I left you out of this list its quite possible there were 36 pages and I might have missed a few sorry to those I missed tell me and I'll edit and put you on.

If you'd like to be on the list throw down your details and we will all greet you with open arms of love and hugs n all that jazz other than that heres the list.

Chapel, UC, Mave, Wiggens, Psycho Ann, Nalani, Inkhana, Mechana2015, Kireihana, RoyalWing, Superninjaspy, kaji, starstoryteller, heart of sword, Hitokiri, Canface For God, Christian girl, Xavier249, KrescentMoon, Vampi, Lochaber axe, Syreth, For Him, Shandra, true noir chloe, Pepper Kittie, Valdrianth, antefurem, jazz, Uriah, sonichiro

I think thats all but like i said we can always add more names. thanks all for making this such a wonderful and fun topic. Ne w artists and writers fear not we will love to have you aboard.

Chapel
Chapel

Postby Maledicte » Thu Feb 03, 2005 1:48 pm

Hey, writer/artist here. Can't draw a panel worth squat, but can draw a decent cover.

Started drawing: Roughly November of '98. watched the video of "Cats: The Musical" and immediately began to draw in earnest. Luckily, I had my sister's relatively unused How To Draw Comics the Marvel Way book, and took it from there.

Started writing: since I first gained consciousness (yes, I have lost it a few times since then). Made up stories before I even considered actually putting them on paper.

Strengths (art): Brush and pen inking, pencilling. Covers, hand-drawn text, concept/reference sheets for characters, costumes, weapons, faces/bodies pseudo-anime style. (I learned the Marvel way, remember?) Pretty guys, gritty guys, long hair, pretty girls, gritty girls, messy hair. Basic fantasy/mythological creatures, weird monsters. Wings, swords, armor. I am also good at coming up with individual outfits, faces and hairstyles for each character. Of which I have many. And trees. I'm getting quite good at trees now.

Strengths (writing): general storylines, plot devices. Character development, dialogue, differing POV's. Also coming up with little goodies here and there to make the story work smoother, make characters/setting more believable, etc. Spelling.

Weaknesses (art): straight lines, maps, muscular forearms, shoes, anything mechanical. Hence the reason why I draw primarily fantasy characters. Backgrounds. Coloring.

Weaknesses (writing): Actually sitting down and getting the thing done, really. Chapter breaks. Awkward situations, humor. (At least I think it's funny.) I also tend to become redundant.

Tools of the trade (art): 0.07 mechanical pencil, any eraser I can get a hold on, any unlined paper. Brush and acrylic ink, Sakura pens. Canvas and art board, acrylic paint.

Projects

Novels: King of Phoenix (currently in the works), Lord of Ravens, Prince of Dragons. My Stronghand trilogy, Marcellus, 2 unnamed novels. Lots of unnamed novels, actually. PM me for details, if you really must.

Comics/Manga: The Angel Death (Bible-based comic), unnamed vampire manga. Both unwritten, basic plot points down. Lots of sketches. I envision "Stronghand" as a comic as well.

Anime: two unwritten, untitled. One a 26-episode run, the other undecided, at least 50 episodes.

Movies: I would like my KoP, LoR, PoD, M and Stronghand novels to make it to the big time. (Don't we all.) Also an unnamed novel, hopefully starring Johnny Depp in a major role.

That's all for now, kiddies.
Maledicte

Postby Maledicte » Thu Feb 03, 2005 2:03 pm

eek, forgot a few things.
for my art, you can check my thread http://www.christiananime.net/showthread.php?t=16552, or my DevArt site at http://thenumber42.deviantart.com, where I will upload my work from now on. For writing...er, I haven't posted anything up anywhere in this department, but you can PM me for chapters if you are interested.

Artistic influence: Scott McDaniel (Nightwing, Batman), Todd McFarlane (Spiderman, Spawn), so-and-so Kushiro (Battle Angel Alita), Kohta Hirano (Hellsing), Caspar David Friedrich, Edward Robert Hughes.

Writing influence: Edgar Allan Poe, Martin Cruz Smith, Neil Gaiman, Alan Moore, Stephen R. Lawhead, Frank Peretti. And maybe Bill Myers.
Maledicte

Postby Knuckles » Tue Feb 22, 2005 10:30 pm

Started drawing: Eversince I could hold a pencil. I wrote and illustrated all of my little storybooks I came up with.

Strengths: Drawing furry creatures, fantasy, females, anime, and just overall simple stuff.

Weakness: Drawing males (just basic anatomy), mecha, perspective/different angles, coloring, drawing straight lines (my hand tends to shake when I do small details or lines), backgrounds

Tools of the Trade: For manga I use DELETER A4 doujinshi paper. Inks: Microns or Copic Multiliners. Tones: DELETER ComicWorks (EXCELLENT program, btw)

Current projects: "Guardian" (tentative title). I have to story for the first act fleshed out. I will probably be releasing it in acts, to see how things go. For now, I'll just say that there are lots of angels, lots of bishounen, and lots of adventure!
Knuckles

Postby Chapel » Tue Mar 22, 2005 11:21 pm

Good lord I haven't been round these parts in a long time... Well I'm back and welcome SirThinks2Much and Knuckles and number 42 if you ever want to write a story line for me I would love it. Wow ok well Hi all I'm off to go do something i promise to check back sooner than I did last time lol

Chapel
Chapel

Postby Mave » Wed Mar 23, 2005 6:29 pm

Good griefy, neither have I! *waves* Hello everyone, welcome, SirThinkstoomuch, Knuckles! I have a hard time keeping track of everything XD;;;;;;;
Mave

Postby emersongreen » Thu Mar 31, 2005 3:22 pm

well

name:
brian or emersongreen, which ever you prefer my AIM is SwiftCanoe77 so feel free to AIM me

Material
i am not into fancy pens and stuff like that, my tools are my lucky pencil, and my special 20lb. wieght, 108 brightness paper that i order from office depot

Background
well.....my drawign backround goes back to 4rth grade when pokemon came out.....i started to draw my favorite characters....and pretty much have drawn on and off ever since.....

Current Projects
well....i do alot of stills and i am working towards my goal of drawing every day for a month....(so far i have drawn for 3 weeks.....1 more to go!)
i have a comic in the works called "P.O.W." ( yes prisoners of war )

Strengths

i have some good story ideas that i come up with, but at the moment, my drawing ability is not to the point where i am comfortable enought to really get into drawing my comic......i also am strong in character design.

Weaknesses

folds and details like stressed leather and stuff really get me
also i am pretty pitiful in photoshop, and it took me 2 hours yesterday to find out how to fill an area....

Influence

Pokemon
Ragnarok
Yu-gi-Oh
Card Captors

well......this is a dumb example of my drawing skill.....
i tend to draw pretty small so thier is no detail in this pic......i add the detail in photoshop.....soo...this is just the very basics
:poke: :bang:
98% of the teenage population does or has tried smoking pot. If you're one of the 2% who hasn't, copy & paste this in your signature.
emersongreen

Postby Chapel » Sun May 15, 2005 1:46 am

wow been a while sense i have been here I believe i know you emersongreen but welcome to our friendly family anyway

chapel
Chapel

Postby Pepper Kittie » Sat Jun 11, 2005 11:16 pm

*giggles* Hey, it's been forever since I've been here! X3 This is the biggest thread ever... my goodness... but I figured I'd come back and share some neat things with ya'll, if you don't mind listening to them ^__^

Since I'll end school this week and start summer vacation I'll be able to work a lot more on Advocate and actually get pages done. *yaaaaaaay!* No more homework for me for two months ^^ I'm SO excited! I have so many plans for Adv that I can hardly wait to be done with school! I'll make sure to post somewhere on CAA when I get new things up.

And my second bit of news is about an art community called Deviant Art. I post my manga there as well as on my site, and as I've done that I've seen a lot of amazing things. People there are shocked that it's even possible to make a manga with Christian values, and when I tell them that I didn't invent it Christian manga and refer them to Cognatio and CAA they're absolutely amazed X3 Because of hearing about Christian manga I know two different artists on DA that are changing thier webmangas to be Christian mangas (or just cleaner and Christian-friendly) because they want to inspire or witness to people, too. I had no clue that God would use something as small as a comic and a web community like DA to bring people to changing thier lives, let alone using me. It makes me think of me changing my life a long time ago because of the Christian artists and friends I have here. *glomphugtackle* You know who you are XD

Wow, that was long... but anyways, could you all pray for my friend Foxxeh? She's creating a Christian manga now and I told her I'd post on CAA and ask for prayer for her, since many of us pray for our Christian manga-ka already. I know the Lord can use her artwork just like He uses ours. I'm so very excited for the different opportunities we have to witness to others through different net communities or groups! And I'm so thankful that lots of us can meet here and encourage each other to walk with the Lord. I may not post much, but... I read a lot, and it gives me so much joy to be able to be here ^^ Thank you so much.
"The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full."
~John 10:10

~* Advocate Voice *~
Pepper Kittie

Previous Next

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews